Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aging? Random Stats?

RoflanRoflan Member Posts: 97

Only two things make me run screaming, with my arms flailing, from an RPG: aging and random stats. And, as a noob, upon first glance, this appears to have both?

I noticed there is an age stat for main characters and mercs. and checked the in-game help to see if it explained it. But it just confused and worried me more by bringing up the idea of retirement... The reason I hate aging in RPGs is because I hate arbitrary time limits-- but I'm rambling to ask a very simple question:

What does the age stat do or mean?

The other thing is about those potions you get that allow you to use the bonus stat points you get from leveling-- but the stat they raise is random... How arbitrary can you get?

Is there any reason not to use them? Like a reason you might want to wait?

Thanks.

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Right now, the aging thing doesn't do anything. It might in the future though. There's supposed to plans where your mercs have children or something.

The random stats do kind of stink. I think it's mostly a money sink, though, you can get potions to lower a stat (and then use another potion to level it up randomly).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

As of right now, Age only determines one thing in the game.  When a mercenary is level 100+ you have the option instead of firing them, you can retire them.  The advantage of retiring your mercenary is that every ingame month they will mail you something, it might just be a "Hi, how's it goin?" letter, or a sweet box or item needed for getting class B mercenaries.  You cannot retire a mercenary over the age of 50, and the mercenary will stop sending you items once they are 60.  Once housing is put into the game, supposedly you will be able to use your retired mercenaries to help maintain gardens, cleaning, merchant, etc around your house. 

As for random stats, the only real problem is when you're specializing mercenaries, which I wouldn't do to any mercenary unless you're going to have him in your build at 120.  It's not really that bad at 120 to do this, as most potions are rather cheap, for a level 120.  It only took me about a week to get 12 mercenaries to max stats how I wanted them (seems intelligence on my shaman didn't want to work lol).  Right now I have all my mercenaries level 120 with stats how I wanted them, early on in the game I wouldn't suggest worrying about random stats, they don't really change that much tbh.  I mean 30 str when you want 30 int isn't going to make or break a mercenary.  Now when you get up into the higher levels, it's a different story.  Usually the stats you get using growth vials are fairly even.  You'll end up with like +30 of each stat if used like 50 growth vials.

• BurnRubberBurnRubber Member Posts: 67

sweet box?how sweet could this box be? ^_^ is it like a mount box or not? i don't know about these things, i was just expecting they'd die...lol

regarding the random stats...yeah it kinda bums me out too... i also want it my way, but what you did was a very tedious task (decrease potion, then using a growth vial again) i keep running out of money because of these growth vials along, and some of my new mercs can't even have adv potions since its sells for around 500k each>.< it might be cheap for you guys but not for me. i was thinking, i think they shouldve mad a growth vial wherein you can choose which stats to up. id ont care if its much more expensive, but im sure its worth the price ^_^

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

one of the boxes I got gave me 13 dragon crystals :D that's pretty sweet.

another box I got gave me Warcry [Adv], that's uber sweet.

I've also gotten things like -Vitality potion (resets 5 Vitality for 5 bonus points), -Intelligence potion, Crystals of all kinds, Equipment. and some other minor things.

• GrumpybearGrumpybear Member Posts: 47

If something in game seems too expensive then chances are you are attempting to do it too early on in game.  There are plenty of easy ways to make gold in game and as you get higher in lvl it gets easier to do.  So just be patient and talk with other players to see what things they are upgrading and at what lvl they are doing it at.  You'll find out fast what not to worry about until you got a nice surplus in your bank.

LIke using adv growth pots on mercs.  Don't do it unless you know for sure you are keeping that merc around for a long time. Unless of course you are a lvl 120, then throwing away 10mill here and there isn't the end of the world.

• vonkeitzvonkeitz Member Posts: 166

i heard that when your mercenaries reach a certain age it will retire so i think that wont happen to me because i know that i will change my line up in the future to get higher class mercenary