Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ex Mythos (Diablo & Hellgate) developers announce new game!

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I'll buy the soundtrack just because Matt Uelmen is involved. He's a freaking genius.

• dippyzippydippyzippy Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

I question the decision to release a game like this in the likelyhood that Diablo 3 will be along next year,...

Nov 09

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

If you dare to dream it you can achieve it. Live the dream...reach for the stars...blah blah blah. Good news is falling from the sky today. All my dreams are coming true.

Too much?

How about.....who...what...where..when.... how...can't wait...yay..

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• creioncreion Member Posts: 78

Well i was almost happy till i say it was being published by the company of perfect world and that already says cash shop is going to be included.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

More pic goodness...

Looks like 'junior' Diablo 3 =D  (The real deal below)

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Yet another Diabloesque, isometric view game trying to become an MMO. Didn't they learn from the last failure (Hellgate). Why would anyone pay a subscription for this crap when they can play Diablo III and Starcraft II and Warcraft III for free? Let alone the lack of popularity factor involved with outdated isometric view games that aren't real time strategy based.  Good luck getting this out the door, let alone keeping enough subs to stay afloat.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Vrazule

Yet another Diabloesque, isometric view game trying to become an MMO. Didn't they learn from the last failure (Hellgate). Why would anyone pay a subscription for this crap when they can play Diablo III and Starcraft II and Warcraft III for free? Let alone the lack of popularity factor involved with outdated isometric view games that aren't real time strategy based.  Good luck getting this out the door, let alone keeping enough subs to stay afloat.

1. These are the guys that made Mythos not Hellgate.

2. TorchLight will be a single player game first, this game wll not require subs.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Here is one of the first screenshots from the game.

Looks like it's for the Nintendo.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268
    Originally posted by talismen351

Well if nothing else...ya gotta give the devs credit for their determination. Failure after failure and yet they keep trying.

The team that made mythos was not the same team that made HG:L.  So stuff it.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

I can't wait to see how it turns out. If it's as good as Mythos was, it's definitely worth playing.

2. TorchLight will be a single player game first, this game wll not require subs.

The failure of Hellgate doesn't have to be theirs in order to learn from it, does it.  Whether they use subs, cash shops or full priced expansion packs, it's still gonna be a struggle for them.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I'll support it just to contribute to those guys effort. I was a big HGL fan and played Mythos as well. They were skewered by Bill "rope a dope" Ropers lack of business sense and losing the Mythos IP to Ropeys fumble with their financial backers. 

Myhos's Intelectual Property is either in Comerica's hands or Hanbitsoft, Story here: kotaku.com/5024558/flagship-sunk-whos-in-charge-of-hellgate 

I loved HGL and played it on its last few days, its sad to see a game die. It's really the community that hurts more than anything, unless you are part of the developement staff; IE: Flagship, Seattle. Those guys lost years of hard work, I feel for those guys at runic and I will blow 20-30 bucks to back them up. Even though the game does look like a D3 Jr. Mythos' likability was the fact it was FUN! It was also made from the beta test engine for HGL, correct me if I'm wrong.

I was going to take a pass on champions and spend that money on Torchlight. It's a personal thing.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

I loved HGL....but I didn't care about the multi player aspect...just like D2. So I have no idea why you people thought it was such a disaster....

But this looks like Fate, Mythos, Dungeon Runners, and many other F2P dungeon hacks....only even more cartoonish.....why?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I think it looks good.

I like the art, and the colors.

What I liked about Mythos was random mobs dropping maps to dungeons that get used up when you take a party there.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

The failure of Hellgate doesn't have to be theirs in order to learn from it, does it.  Whether they use subs, cash shops or full priced expansion packs, it's still gonna be a struggle for them.

...its a single player game. Read Saintviktors post. 

• bagnolbagnol Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited October 2020

Post edited by bagnol on
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

First impressions rom GDC 09..
    www.runicinsider.com/forums/showthread.php

thanks for the link

the former lead designer of Mythos, Travis Baldree,  is the creator of FATE

games.wildtangent.com/fate/

...its a single player game. Read Saintviktors post. 

I don't pay attention to posts with false information.  Here's a quote from the linked article from the OP.  Maybe you guys need to learn to read them before making comments.  It's the first sentence for crying out loud.

"Newly founded developer Runic Games, one of several companies formed from the ashes of Hellgate and Mythos developer Flagship, today announced its first project: an action-MMO titled Torchlight"

Don't know about most people, but I tend to think of an MMO as not being a single player game and I've yet to see a sinlge MMO that doesn't charge you money in some form or another despite any free to play moniker attached to it.

You'll also notice that the development team is from both games, Hellgate and Mythos.

Here's a quote from the linked article from the OP.  Maybe you guys need to learn to read them before making comments.  It's the first sentence for crying out loud.
    "Newly founded developer Runic Games, one of several companies formed from the ashes of Hellgate and Mythos developer Flagship, today announced its first project: an action-MMO titled Torchlight"
    Don't know about most people, but I tend to think of an MMO as not being a single player game and I've yet to see a sinlge MMO that doesn't charge you money in some form or another despite any free to play moniker attached to it.
    You'll also notice that the development team is from both games, Hellgate and Mythos.

clarification from a fansite

www.runicgamesfansite.com/2009/04/23/welcome-new-visitors/

When is Torchlight coming out?

The press release is a little misleading. There is actually a single player game (the game shown in the screenshots) being developed alongside the MMO.

The single player game will be released this year and the MMO in coming years.

They are separate games but in the same world.

Who are Runic Games?

Runic Games is a team composed of the people who formerly worked on Flagship Studios’ unreleased Mythos. The team was located in Seattle while the San Francisco team worked on Hellgate: London.

this is also worth reading

Exclusive Interview with Runic Games

www.runicinsider.com/forums/showthread.php

RunicInsider: We recently found out your first game is going to be entirely single-player, but after that you will be working on an MMO set in the same world. I think the question on everyone's mind is what led to this decision?

Travis Baldree: There are quite a few parts to this - to begin with, since we're starting from scratch and don't have the benefit of any of the previous code or assets we developed for Mythos, we needed to get our feet back under ourselves.

Building a single-player game on a short timeline gives us an opportunity to do this - and ship it and polish it.

Apart from that, Mythos was only inches from the finish line for open beta before things collapsed, and we're all a little anxious to ship something that people can see and play, from a psychological standpoint. Building the single-player first has a host of other benefits - not least of which is the fact that the game will be highly moddable, and we plan to deliver some robust modding tools, which would never be possible with the MMO. It also allows us to get a little income during our MMO development to help ensure that we stay afloat. Last, but not least - it'll give us a chance to get all of your feedback early on and incorporate it into the MMO!

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

mythos was good, probably The Right Thing for some people, but it whas "comic" style. So it was not for everyone. 

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Nadia

Here's a quote from the linked article from the OP.  Maybe you guys need to learn to read them before making comments.  It's the first sentence for crying out loud.

The press release is a little misleading. There is actually a single player game (the game shown in the screenshots) being developed alongside the MMO.

Who are Runic Games?

Runic Games is a team composed of the people who formerly worked on Flagship Studios’ unreleased Mythos. The team was located in Seattle while the San Francisco team worked on Hellgate: London.

Thanks. Perhaps Vrazuke will learn to read next time rather than rolling the back of his palm across the keyboard.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

I guess if you are into cartoonish graphics, this game may be for you.  Not for me I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Nadia

Who are Runic Games?

Thanks. Perhaps Vrazuke will learn to read next time rather than rolling the back of his palm across the keyboard.

You sir are an idiot.  His link is to an entirely different article, not even listed with the OP's post.  My quote from the original link is valid and was the topic of this discussion.  That article talks about an MMO, therefore this topic is about the MMO and not your precious single player game.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Thanks Nadia for the clear-cut background info, I didn't know Travis created Fate. Anyway, the game looks fun, I'll give it a roll when it comes out. Has anyone here played fate?