Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you like to see?

natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well I thought this would be fun to ask. I'm still new to the game but I am curious what people would like to see in the next expansion? New classes? New races? What content? I'm not very familiar with the Lord of the Rings lore but I would like to see some different looking zones. Not sure if there is anything in lore but so far it's just been a lot of pretty trees and ruins and stuff (which I'm not complaing but more variety would be nice.)  I've heard there could be more endgame content but it'll be awhile before I get there. Honestly though this game seems to have a lot and do a lot of it well so... I can't think of a lot.

image

Comments

  • aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

    At level 25 you're just about to come out of the Doldrums, as I call them.  The starting zones are uniformly lush, pretty and almost idyllic.  Then in the late teens through mid twenties you are spending all your time in the Barrow Downs, Lone Lands, and two western thirds of North Downs.  That's the Doldrums because it all has a similar dreary mood to it. 

    In the early 30's you get the eastern third of North Downs, the grandeur of Evendim, and the great-looking Trollshaws.  Late thirties is more of the Trollshaws, leading to Rivendell.  From there you move into Angmar (dark and ominous), Misty Mountains (impressive) and Forochel (an arctic wonderland).  Not long after that, and you'll be heading into Moria which is way better than the movie envisioned.  It's also a lot more diverse than you would expect. 

    The bottom line is that there's a lot of varying scenery ahead of you.  You just need to get through the 20's.  :)

    As for the future, there is only so much that the developers can do geographically.  After all, Middle Earth is really another age of our Earth.  That's why it's our familiar moon and constellations overhead at night.  They can't make the land too fantastic without betraying the basic concept.  If anything, the next couple expansions are going to see the least interesting geography for the forseeable future.  Moria and Lothlorien will be left behind.  That then leads to the plains of Rohan (plains -- yawn), Fangore forest (Old Forest on steroids), Helm's Deep (now THAT should be impressive), and Isengard (interesting, but probably flooded by the time we get to it).  It is possible that we'll get to go into the tower and the epic storyline will quite possibly have us involved with driving Saruman fully out of the place so that he finally fully takes on the role of Sharkey.  Oh, and there's all the swampland that Frodo and Sam traveled through, and the outer slopes of Mordor.  Yeah, there's some interesting stuff in there.  But also a whole lot of Lone Lands or Midgewater-type stuff.

    It won't be until probably the third expansion (from now) that we'll finally get to Ghondor, Minas Morgul, and Mordor itself.  That will be some seriously epic stuff. 

    As for what I'd really like to see in the game -- I would love for the housing system to get a lot of love.  Right now it's pretty much sidelined and ultimately meaningless.  Sure, it's neat to have.  But there are too many restrictions and the instancing system leaves you feeling isolated even in your own neighborhood.  The housing zones are ghost towns.  So what I'd like to see would be:

    1. More of an EQ2 approach to decoration.  Get rid of the hooks.  Have more craftable furnishings. 
    2. Bring instanced housing into the world itself.  What if many of the doors in Bree and other towns throughout the world were actually instance doors similar to EQ2's housing?  Rent would vary based on the town and the location within the town.  For example, off one of the main squares in Bree would be more expensive than something in Trestlebridge, but that would be more expensive than the more slum-like parts of Bree.  This would have the effect of really bringing all the towns in the world to life.  If most any door could be someone's home, people would be everywhere.  And our perceived stake in the world would be greater than what we get with those housing zones.
    3. Have a number of houses scattered throughout the world being non-instanced and able to be purchased by players.  But make it very, very difficult to actually get (and keep) one of these houses.  Being able to have a house rather than an apartment would be a major achievement.  Of course it would need to be kept meaningful by making it easy to lose the house if you don't keep it up.  These houses should be for really serious players.

    I think the crafting system is great, but needs more polish.  I think it's universally agreed that sitting around while your character boils 100 leather is about as pleasant as watching skunks mate.  Why do games force that sort of tedium on you?  You should tell the system how much you want to make and then have it happen.  No waiting.  Or if the developers want waiting for some reason, it should happen in the background while you do other things. 

    What would be really great would be if the crafting window itself was changed to show not only what is required to make the item but also what is required to make the components.  Then you select what you want to craft, and the system crafts first the components then the item itself.  If you get the right crits, you can end up with extra components, which of course can be used in the next thing you craft without the need for them to be made again.  But it would be so nice to be rid of having to go through multiple collapsing pages to figure out if you even have all the stuff you need.  In short, the system can be streamlined to make it more fun (less tedious) without sacrificing depth.  In fact, they could actually add depth if they took this approach. 

    image
    image
  • trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

    Hmmm, I'm the opposite of the above guy. I love the begining of the game. But once I started spending most of my time in the wilderness (the Lone Lands, in the 20s), my enjoyment fizzled.

     

    So what I'd like to see are more quests based around civilization. I'm sick of the wilderness. I admit, there is some variety. But it's still all wilderness. You have the badlands sort of terrain in the Lonelands, then I guess a more Scotish sort of hills in the North Downs.  Everndim, too, though more like around a big lake. Trollshaws is sort of like Yellowstone park, sans geysers. And Forochel is like Canada.  Angmar is like Nevada or something.

    And all the people you help are either unwashed barbarians (or some variant of it), Rangers, or cavemen.

    I really would have liked to have seen another city. There is Rivendell, but I think they dropped the ball, there aren't nearly as many quests as I would have liked to have seen.

    So hopefully the next EP will have a city in Rohan and some quests around that. I would have to think it would, since otherwise it would all be in plains (which would get boring).

    R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

  • veritasallveritasall Member UncommonPosts: 153

    I'd like to be able join the LFF channel of other areas. Simple really!

  • aurickaurick Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by trancejeremy


    Hmmm, I'm the opposite of the above guy. I love the begining of the game. But once I started spending most of my time in the wilderness (the Lone Lands, in the 20s), my enjoyment fizzled.
     
    So what I'd like to see are more quests based around civilization. I'm sick of the wilderness. I admit, there is some variety. But it's still all wilderness. You have the badlands sort of terrain in the Lonelands, then I guess a more Scotish sort of hills in the North Downs.  Everndim, too, though more like around a big lake. Trollshaws is sort of like Yellowstone park, sans geysers. And Forochel is like Canada.  Angmar is like Nevada or something.
    And all the people you help are either unwashed barbarians (or some variant of it), Rangers, or cavemen.
    I really would have liked to have seen another city. There is Rivendell, but I think they dropped the ball, there aren't nearly as many quests as I would have liked to have seen.
    So hopefully the next EP will have a city in Rohan and some quests around that. I would have to think it would, since otherwise it would all be in plains (which would get boring).



     

    The lore makes it impossible for there to be much civilization within the areas that have been shown so far.  The city of ice in Forochel makes sense and has a pretty significant amount of content in it.  But Angmar can't be populated by a large number of Freeps (Free Peoples).  And Evendim from a lore standpoint is a fading land.  It wouldn't have a lot either. 

    Rivendell is the last bastion of civilization before the Misty Mountains or Eregion.  But the lore made it clear that as beautiful as it is, it's not a thriving metropolis.  I personally would have liked to see more quests there as well, but when you think about it the land is geographically cut off.  The more quests from Rivendell, the more time you have to spend traveling just to get to the quest locations.  It would really suck as a quest hub for that reason, so I can understand why they created other hubs in the surrounding areas and left Rivendell kind of shorted.

    Eregion is clearly empty in the book.  Moria of course is under enemy control.  That only leaves Lothlorien as a potential city, and they have made it a major hub.

    You can rest comfortable regarding Rohan.  There is most definitely a city there, which should rival or even beat out Bree for size.  But after that it's mostly wilderness again until we get to Gondor.  Let's face it:  Middle Earth has very few cities.  And since the devs must stay true to the lore, there's only so much they can do to bring population centers to the game.

    image
    image
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,966
    Originally posted by natuxatu


    Well I thought this would be fun to ask. I'm still new to the game but I am curious what people would like to see in the next expansion? New classes? New races? What content? I'm not very familiar with the Lord of the Rings lore but I would like to see some different looking zones. Not sure if there is anything in lore but so far it's just been a lot of pretty trees and ruins and stuff (which I'm not complaing but more variety would be nice.)  I've heard there could be more endgame content but it'll be awhile before I get there. Honestly though this game seems to have a lot and do a lot of it well so... I can't think of a lot.



     

    Well, there's moria and the dwarf outposts there as well as Lothlorien to look forward to.

    Angmar is pretty different.

    So are misty mountains where you sometimes get very intense blizzards.

    Not much to say for new races. This is LOTRO. Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits and Humans.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Sovrath

    Originally posted by natuxatu


    Well I thought this would be fun to ask. I'm still new to the game but I am curious what people would like to see in the next expansion? New classes? New races? What content? I'm not very familiar with the Lord of the Rings lore but I would like to see some different looking zones. Not sure if there is anything in lore but so far it's just been a lot of pretty trees and ruins and stuff (which I'm not complaing but more variety would be nice.)  I've heard there could be more endgame content but it'll be awhile before I get there. Honestly though this game seems to have a lot and do a lot of it well so... I can't think of a lot.



     

    Well, there's moria and the dwarf outposts there as well as Lothlorien to look forward to.

    Angmar is pretty different.

    So are misty mountains where you sometimes get very intense blizzards.

    Not much to say for new races. This is LOTRO. Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits and Humans.

    Yea I dont think LotrO needs anymore classes or races. But there is alot of possibilites on what they can do with mounts in a Rohan expansion! I think the variety of the landscapes are amazing so far, thou it will be hard to make all of Rohan look unique since its alot of plains.

     

    If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

  • BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

    Its not so much what I want to see in the next expansion, because I havent given that even a single thought yet. But there are some things I would like see patched in, or in a future expansion.

    1. A revamp of the existing mount system. I cant even begin to tell you how much I hate dismounting!

    2. Inside Moria, I would like to see "Ancient Keys" drop from monsters, which you can use to locate one of the many unused doors inside this magnificant dungeon. When opened, a random generated area spawns and have quest objectives much like the wilderness areas in DDO. Located "Old Key" = solo area, and "Ancient Key" = Group Area.

    3. (I know this wont be a popular one) I personal think the magic level of the items have gone astray, to put it mildly. My hunter has for example, has 100 basic Agility and +465ish from items. This is to much bonus from items, imo. I would rather see Turbine give us some points per level to customize our stats and cut the bonuses on item by 50%. When my basic Agility is 100, an item with +40 Agility is just ridiculous.

    4. Disable some/most of the CC abilities when Freeps enter Ettens. Scratch the "CC controling potion system", it isnt working.

    5. Create more areas like GA - instant fellowship quest without being a part of a big solo quest chain.

    6. Give my Burgler some real throwing knives with a basic attack, like the champion with bow! And make the knives function like a bow, do not make us buy them as stacks. Walking around with 300 knives is just silly.

    Thats all  

  • natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

    Why do you hate dismounting? I'm confused...

    But yeah that's interesting. Since there can't be any other races and stuff really they could spend time and focus on the content that is already there. I would like that. More dungeons early on for example. So far I've only been in the Great Barrows. But yeah they should build on what they already have instead of adding more at this point.

    image

  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

    The main thing I would like to see is a tweak to the outfit system.  What I mean is the fact that everyone looks clean and that they havn't been in a battle. Almost as if everyone is wearing their "Sunday's best" or ceremonial clothing. I would like to see a more worn out look to my gear, wether it be by an outfit option, client side option, or an actual character progression type of mechanic. Not sure if I'm making sense, but it's just hard to imagine that I can spend several hours out in the wilderness hacking up wargs, orcs and giant spiders and not have a drop of blood (mine or my enemies) on my clothing and weapons. Or not one bit of my clothing getting torn or frayed or armor dented.  If that still doesn't make sense, the best visual I can think of to help bring the point home is think of the look that Star Wars Episodes 4-6 had verses Star Wars Episodes 1-3. Yes I know most , if not all other mmo's dont have this feature either. I'm sure it's a programming issue but I would still like to see it.

    "If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

  • Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

    I'll just tell you what I don't want to see:  Moria. Never again. I swear to god if I ever have to see that place again after the expansion is released I will cancel my subscription and that is no exaggeration.

  • BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by natuxatu


    Why do you hate dismounting? I'm confused...
    But yeah that's interesting. Since there can't be any other races and stuff really they could spend time and focus on the content that is already there. I would like that. More dungeons early on for example. So far I've only been in the Great Barrows. But yeah they should build on what they already have instead of adding more at this point.



     

    I dont know what Turbine went for with dismounting, but it sure wasnt gameplay. Its annoying and not very realistic.

    A few things I like to see.

    1. Evade while mounted not being N/A. Reduced but not disabled.

    2. Highly reduced mitigation while mounted (barding would raise your mitigation)

    3. Ride till you die!

  • veritasallveritasall Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by BesCirga

    Originally posted by natuxatu


    Why do you hate dismounting? I'm confused...
    But yeah that's interesting. Since there can't be any other races and stuff really they could spend time and focus on the content that is already there. I would like that. More dungeons early on for example. So far I've only been in the Great Barrows. But yeah they should build on what they already have instead of adding more at this point.



     

    I dont know what Turbine went for with dismounting, but it sure wasnt gameplay. Its annoying and not very realistic.

    A few things I like to see.

    1. Evade while mounted not being N/A. Reduced but not disabled.

    2. Highly reduced mitigation while mounted (barding would raise your mitigation)

    3. Ride till you die!

     

    Agreed. I'm finding my horse useless and a waste of money.

  • bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by veritasall


    I'd like to be able join the LFF channel of other areas. Simple really!



     

    I think you can by just typing it in the social panel.  close to the bottom there is a text box with the name of the area in it.  You can change it if you know the area you want to type in.  It would be nice to have a "global" LFF.

    image
  • sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by BesCirga


    Its not so much what I want to see in the next expansion, because I havent given that even a single thought yet. But there are some things I would like see patched in, or in a future expansion.
    1. A revamp of the existing mount system. I cant even begin to tell you how much I hate dismounting!
    2. Inside Moria, I would like to see "Ancient Keys" drop from monsters, which you can use to locate one of the many unused doors inside this magnificant dungeon. When opened, a random generated area spawns and have quest objectives much like the wilderness areas in DDO. Located "Old Key" = solo area, and "Ancient Key" = Group Area.
    3. (I know this wont be a popular one) I personal think the magic level of the items have gone astray, to put it mildly. My hunter has for example, has 100 basic Agility and +465ish from items. This is to much bonus from items, imo. I would rather see Turbine give us some points per level to customize our stats and cut the bonuses on item by 50%. When my basic Agility is 100, an item with +40 Agility is just ridiculous.
    4. Disable some/most of the CC abilities when Freeps enter Ettens. Scratch the "CC controling potion system", it isnt working.
    5. Create more areas like GA - instant fellowship quest without being a part of a big solo quest chain.
    6. Give my Burgler some real throwing knives with a basic attack, like the champion with bow! And make the knives function like a bow, do not make us buy them as stacks. Walking around with 300 knives is just silly.
    Thats all  

     

    I agree with all your thoughts and partly agree with number 3, some of the item bonus's are stupid and should be cut down.

  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615


    Originally posted by veritasall

    Originally posted by BesCirga

    Originally posted by natuxatu

    Why do you hate dismounting? I'm confused...
    But yeah that's interesting. Since there can't be any other races and stuff really they could spend time and focus on the content that is already there. I would like that. More dungeons early on for example. So far I've only been in the Great Barrows. But yeah they should build on what they already have instead of adding more at this point.



    I dont know what Turbine went for with dismounting, but it sure wasnt gameplay. Its annoying and not very realistic.
    A few things I like to see.
    1. Evade while mounted not being N/A. Reduced but not disabled.
    2. Highly reduced mitigation while mounted (barding would raise your mitigation)
    3. Ride till you die!



    Agreed. I'm finding my horse useless and a waste of money.

    There are better horses that are harder to knock you off of.

    ----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

    "No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

    "Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

    How are you?" -Me

  • BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth


     
     
    There are better horses that are harder to knock you off of.



     

    I have reputation horses, but still birds can fling me off the saddle without causing a single morale point with their spamming interupt skill setup. Rep. horses are better, but how much? I bet its marginal, atleast thats how it feels while playing. Dismounting is a unnecessary annoyance factor - nothing more, nothing less.

    I like lotro but the mount system needs improvement fast. Now, its just a summonable horse you use for faster movement on roads and low-level areas, and not a companion you use to explore vast hostile areas or charging through enemies to get away from defeat.

    I just wanted to add another change I'd like to see: Please stop giving every single monster the "hounding fear" ability! Even normal humaniods and birds have started to, and I quote, "The fear of the monster hounding you has locked your heart and mind with fear slowing your movement" ... please Turbine, start giving more diversity to your monsters/critters.

  • sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68

    I personally do not have issues with the mount system, But I do still think it can be improved. I am not really sure how important it is that it is tweaked but I do not see turbine doing anything about it at the moment

Sign In or Register to comment.