Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I gave this game a shot.

momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

The graphics didn't bother me, but what did was I had no clue what to do... wasn't even sure if people were logged on to ask for help?

Really want to try this game -- but everytime I log on, no help... or direction.

Comments

• AlloughNAlloughN Member Posts: 168

Sorry for not answering sooner, the college computers were freezing up every time I tried to click  "reply". Wish the "advanced" editor wasn't the default..

Anyway, there are normally at least 50 people on, but despite our constant crying admins have yet to make the Help channel static. Since you can't use more than one channel at once, and since most people forgot to open chat, there are hardly ever any people in the Help channel.

((Hopefully the devs are reading this and relizing how badly we need that channel to open on startup))

Just go to the forums, there are plenty of people that are more than willing to help. Don't worry, we aren't rabid and don't bite. :)

OR, you can now go to the Duty Officer in the Fleet building and get the "Deep Space Assignment" mission. This will actually teleport you to a player run training ship that is active most of the day.

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

Play run training ship what exactly is that?  Teaches you how to fly?  Sorry, I'll give it  a shot tomorow.

TY

• KILLkipKILLkip Member Posts: 37

They will train you up and teach you everything you need to know :)

• DWalkerDWalker Member Posts: 2

Greetings.
    You obviusly didnt follow the fleet academy path.

To offer new players a chance to understand the basics of this rather complex game, there is one player run ship with veteran players that teach and show new players all there is to see.

Once you create your char, you will spawn in front of one of the fleet HQ buildings.
    Go inside, and look for the Duty officer. Once there,type one of the following messages:

"Lieutenant I am reporting for duty" or "Lt. request assignment"

This will open a new window with some "mission" files available. Choose the "Deep space assignment" one, and you will be teleported to the Yorktown, a Ticoderonga class ship, that serves as fleet training ship.

Once aboard, look for the bridge on deck 1 or simply look around for any of the officers.
    It might happen that nobody is there at that time, but explore the ship (its a big one)and sooner or later someone will show up. The ship doesnt have yet a full 24h coverage, but its close.
    Any new player will be trained on the use of the diferent consoles, learn to play in a team, and even the basics, as eating, bathing and even change clothes (not THAT simple as it looks).

We will be awaiting for you.

Best regards

Cmdr Daywalker
    CO of the UAS Yorktown.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by momodig

The graphics didn't bother me, but what did was I had no clue what to do... wasn't even sure if people were logged on to ask for help?

Really want to try this game -- but everytime I log on, no help... or direction.

*checks the date on the post*  The game STILL doesn't have a tutorial for those who start civvie?  *facepalms*

Okay, some of my tips have invariably changed since I last logged in but here's something that worked for me.

- Check your inventory and your bank account, you should have started with a small amount of seed money

- Go to the supermarket in the city (what city did you long into, I might be able to hazard some directions)

- Look for a equipment rack (they look kind of like a gun or tool rack) and click on it

- Buy a sonic pick and a hand smelter.

- Go back outside and equip the pick, then open your skill screen, double-click on mining, then click on the white marble rocks.  If it doesn't work, you may have to move closer.  Keep digging until you have a good pile of ore and a decent starting mining skill (around thirty might be good for a start.)  Put the pick away and equip the smelter in one hand and a small pile of ore (about ten pieces to start) in the other.  Use the smelter.  Keep in mind that your level of success depends on your mining skill

-  Once you enough ingots, go to a vendor in the space port (NOT the ticket booth) and sell your ore.  Keep in mind you should spend experience on a craft skill.  Read up on what they do and pick one or two you like, spend the mental EXP on them.  Fabricate's good for clothes.  Reverse engineer is necessary to get blueprints, perhaps not as much as when I used to play but at least you won't have to pay someone else for design documents all the time.

The following are observations from my time playing, take them as you will:

- The only people who are your friends are the NPCs, to be fair there's a few decent PCs (Burke comes to my mind) but your best bet are the NPCs; anyone who tells you they're your friend should be watched very carefully.  Something that's true no matter what MMO you play as.

- Do not join Fleet, just don't.  With the exception of a small handful of people (such as Locke and Burke,)  most of the players who have or are serving with the Fleet "guild" are not worth the trouble of associating them with.  As someone who played a Fleet engie and survived through the insurrection that occured near the end of Beta, I can safely say you're better off sticking with being a civvie.  The community is ONE thing that hasn't really changed much since my time playing. 

-Be very careful in your dealings with other civilian players as many of them are alts for various fleet players.  Keep a fully charged/loaded gun at your side at all times.

With that, I wish you the best of luck and maybe you can survive better then I did.  If you need help with anything else, just message me.  I'll try to help you the best I can.

• DWalkerDWalker Member Posts: 2

That is very unfair, and mostly untrue (who is this Burke u talk so much about?)

Fleet is not what u say it is, try us, come to the Yorktown, and we will see how it goes.

There is a good guide regarding going civilian way, actually just a good guide for all starting players, i will leave the link here.

http://www.castlethornsoftware.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1665

Still the best way to do it is going fleet, join the Yorktown, then, once training is done, you can simply leave, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything :)

Best regards

Cmdr Daywalker

CO of the Yorktown

• LyseriousLyserious Member Posts: 15

Maj_Science,

I think you are being a tad harsh on the community.  Can't just mix them all in one pot.  The problems come from people being competitive for control.  Thats all thats to it really.  I would say about 80% of the players playing SQO are willing to bend over backwards.  Its just the loud obnoxious ones that enjoy giving the player government and the senior star fleet officers a hard time over stupid arguements.

One thing I will say.  I think that Eve Gawo, the current president, has got to be one of the most patient and even keeled leaders i have yet to meet in game.  Sure she flips every now and then.  But is that eserving of the punishment that comes with doing the job?

If Eve isnt re-elected....i really do not see another player who is capable of dealing with it...let alone for a full year.

Dwalker,

The character Burke i believe he is refering to is probally the Confederate Captain Lana Burke.  And I think Lana Burke was a fleet officer and used to be an alt of Eve.  not sure.

• AlloughNAlloughN Member Posts: 168

@Maj_Science

Thanks for trying to help him, but you do need to go back to the game for a couple weeks to brush up on it. A LOT of changes...

Would love to see you back in-game!

@Dwalker, Ya Burke is a Confed. Burke left StarFleet long before you started.