Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Myth Debunked

2»

Comments

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Interitus

I think you are missing the point though.  This works for people who know how to play the game, who have played for years. That isn't a new player. A new player is a person who enters Eve and just gets lost.  The game has a huge learning curve and unless they have someone helping them along it will take them a while to get to the point where they become useful.  I imagine a truely new player would take longer  to get to 0.0 and haul

Not necessarily.  I had no trouble with the learning curve in EVE the first time I played the game.  Now the learning curve is even easier.  Depends on what you want to do.  If you want to be be the nastiest PvP'r in the game - be prepared to spend a good amount of time at it.  If you want to be part of a corp and help out on it's mining ops, less time is needed.  The problem with EVE, imho, is not if the game is hard but that the average gamer needs to have his/her hand held till they feel comfortable with the game.  A strong imagination is important in EVE, that and a certain cocky attitude.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by Smikis

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

Originally posted by zantax

You know I have played Eve on and off for a few years, and I have to say this is the most moronic argument almost that I have ever seen.  These guys come on saying that a new player can survive and actually take out someone who has played for a year.  I say this is bull $hit, there is no way in hell even an experianced player can start a brand new character, and in 10 days go out and kill someone who has being playing for a year.  Can they be usefull yes can they kill someone 1 on 1  that has being playing a year, the answer is an extreme NO!
    If you think you can then prove it I want to see a video of that, prove me wrong?
    Don't transfer any isk from an older account, don't transfer any ships just start the player and do it from scratch.  Travel to 0.0 and see if you can kill anyone out there within your first 10 days.
    Almost forgot to add, the comparison from wow, ac, eq...etc is all the same, a level 1 character or level 5 character CAN NOT kill a max level in any of those games either, so lets not compare.

I posted a video of 2 say old toons killing older toons.

just saw that video, and it shows like 7? fights, on 1 fight they cheated and back stabbed guy , on   2 fights they fought  guys they couldnt break shields, ( haulers ) , on 2 fights they got killed, on 1 fight they ran off, and on few more they killed guys around same lvl as them ,

that video doesnt rly prove much,

in 2 fights they actually killed someone stronger, in one he had 4 pirates tanking, and was cruiser i think so not exactly super, you can get cruiser in 3 days too , if you train skills to it , in another carier  probably ? said t2 drones, its pretty strange , how last 20% took them 1,5 mins and drones killed him in 5 seconds, at most, just like if he was afk for 70% of the fight, and then just noticed, "oh shit "

only impresive things about that video is those rockets going 80 dmg per hit :O seems like a lot

Hey, you asked for proof that it could be done and I gave you the proof. Sure they won't be able to take out everything but they were sucessful in taking out older pilots which is what you and others said could not be done.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Rather than read through three pages of replies, I will instead point you here as my affirmation of the OPs point.  This guy is 3 months old, was two when he first joined up, he's an honest-to-god rookie, and he's been doing very well as an ECM pilot in my corp.  He's just got a pair of nads and a corp that will bankroll his losses, and that's all he needs.

Sure he doesn't win any DPS awards but I think anyone who plays EvE will tell you a competent ECM pilot is a force to be feared in pvp.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

my god. this thread is something else.

we have one guy saying that a new character cant kill veterans despite 4 different people showing videos or accounts of exactly that happening, but those dont count for some reason.

then theres another guy complaining that people who know how to play have an advantage.

some people would rather have a good moan than learn.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by x_rast_x 
    Sure he doesn't win any DPS awards but I think anyone who plays EvE will tell you a competent ECM pilot is a force to be feared in pvp.

This is so incredible true, one of my toons started from scratch and on the advice of a more experienced player I trained some quick ECM skills and then did a ton of the core stuff; Navigation, Mechanic and so on. While I was traning those skills I was flying in a Crucifier with Tracking Disruptors.

While I could not dikrectly kill anything due to poor firepower, the enemy was always looking for me since I could turn a cruiser into a useless pile of metal from 30K.

We had a total of 5 fairly new players, anywhere from 30 days to like 5 days for me at the time. We all flew frigates with 3 in Punishers, me in a crucifier, one in whatever the Amarr missile frigate is. We took down a battle cruiser at least two or three times plus numerolus cruisers.

If you are knew and looking to do combat then electronic warfare and tackling are the way to go. You will be a huge asset to the group quickly and for only minor cost and skill time.

• SpoonpottSpoonpott Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by x_rast_x

Rather than read through three pages of replies, I will instead point you here as my affirmation of the OPs point.  This guy is 3 months old, was two when he first joined up, he's an honest-to-god rookie, and he's been doing very well as an ECM pilot in my corp.  He's just got a pair of nads and a corp that will bankroll his losses, and that's all he needs.

I <3 you too, Kessian1

The rules of Debate are really simple; once you have to stoop to insults instead of facts, logic, or reason to try and win your argument, you've lost.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I assume this will never end...

I have been here, I have done it(like many others). I made a toon while back, and 2nd day(or so) of my playtime I had 4 kills on my account. All were older chars then I was. One was around 6 months, the other was +1 year.

People saying that it is impossible or exceptional just don't understand how the game works and/or have no or little experience.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

In all fairness, not knowing how the game works and having none to little experience  is not the fault of the new player.  After all, at one point we were all in that exact position.

But!  Also, to be perfectly fair, it is hardly a wise thing for someone with no experience and no knowledge of how the game works to be arguing with those who have the experience and knowledge about what is possible or impossible, or worse yet, to whine and insult.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by Eschiava

In all fairness, not knowing how the game works and having none to little experience  is not the fault of the new player.  After all, at one point we were all in that exact position.
    I really don't think any reasonable person expects this, I know I wouldn't.
    But!  Also, to be perfectly fair, it is hardly a wise thing for someone with no experience and no knowledge of how the game works to be arguing with those who have the experience and knowledge about what is possible or impossible, or worse yet, to whine and insult.
    Exactly.

It seems like some of the new players in this thread have just rushed out with 1 ship setup and expected it to pwn whatever he came up against and well.., he lost. Now hes here ranting about how we didn't help him and the game is impossible, asking for proof. Once he was handed proof he still denys it and rants and bitches.

These are the people that we the Eve community dislike and unlike other games where if we don't like we really can't do anything about it. In Eve we can and we will do something about it. Maybe these people don't like Eve because Eve can teach them life skills they lack in real life.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

To provide more updates, my charatcer now 5 days old is now in a Mammoth Class hauler. With Tech 2 expanders, yes I can get some Tech 2 that quick I get over 16K m3 of space, this makes this a great hauling vessel for mining operations or trading.

Speaking of the later, this is one area I have ZERO game knowledge in but decided to try it. Using the website http://EVE-Central.com and looking at local markets I was able to turn a cool 2.6 million ISK profit in under an hour. BTW thats part of how I financed the Mammoth.

Now I understand that trading and hauling is not the most glamouris way to play. It lacks the thrill of combat and exploration and the steadyness of mining. However it is a solid way for a more casual player to make some nice income without having to committ to a lot of time.

While there is the RISK of the suicide gankers for the most part you can safely autopilot through highsec space and perform your trades. The low sec will get the heart pumping a little as you sweat if you can make it through without being caught.

As I stated earlier if you want to see how I fare as I play the noob learning the art of trade and hauling you can watch the blog I am doing, it will be posted too after each time I play Kletus.  http://snoejob.wordpress.com

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by Mopar63

Now in EVE, can a 30 day old character, for that matter a 10 day old character in ANY way defeat a 4 year old character? Yes they can. Is it easy

becuase it is POSSIBLE for a day one starting character in EVE to take out a 5  year old character

I mean seriously should a noob be able to go head to head with an experience player out of the gate?

YES i am enjoying my self

First of all ignore Smirkis he is just baiting you all as this post pretty much proves.

Secondly i have to say the idea of a complete newbie entering EvE and becoming a usefull and successfull member of a corp by doing a simple task such as hauling IS possable but it does need that newbie to find a organised and good corp which i find doesant always ahppen because most newbies comming from standard linear MMO's like WoW or Guildwars tend not to understand how the grouping systems in Eve works because they are very different so they often end up solo'ing and get bored fast.

Bear in mind in most MMO's grouping involves sitting in a common meeting location and repeatidly posting LFG posts or they join any old Guild as most are largly the same and go out and group kill mobs other palyers etc and share the loot.

In EvE however Grouping involves joining a Corperation [guild] where you are soon assigned a role based on your skills and what you say you want to do and are willing to do be it a hauler a miner or a Guard. Therre is less loot being distributed as most loot is easilly made or brought cheaply so is really not worth keeping exept for refining purposes for extra minerals for construction or selling to a construction Corperation [who will always eagally buy cheap manufacturing resources]. the reward is therefore in Isk rather than loot.

It is also worth mentioning that a vet player with a noob charecter that is not getting any outside help from his Vet charecter will do better due to Experience. However a genuin newb can reduce the advantage by either asking on the help coperate and racial channel by politly asking questions. and he will get helpfull answers. Or he can join a corp and get help there. this way he learns how EvE works faster and even picks up a few 'tricks' along the way.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

my only response to this thread is one i gave someone else in a earlier thread:

3. I full expect anyone that has played longer than me to always win me at anything and everything no matter what. Without trying to say "Well, it's possible that..." or "In theory..." etc, be honest, am I right? I don't mind it so much so long as some of those older peeps are on MY side >.>

this is true imo. I've been playing for about 3 months, and from what i have learned is..... if you go up against a hurricane, who's pilot is 4 years old, with a hurricane of your own (when you're only 3 months old) odds are you are going to lose. He is going to be moving faster, doing more dmg, have more range, and possibly have overheating and that doesnt include his knowledge/expirience of how to fight as well. Thus is why you should pick your targets more carefully. Although since you want to be on the logistics side of things, i have a feeling you're going to be a fleet for most of your eve career, and so you really shouldnt worry about it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well to be honest the issue is you can't compared level based games to skill based games.

My first mmorpg was Ultima Online so I have a tad bit of a concept with this idea.

The second issue is a few things actually:

1) Not all players are created equal.

Some people like to play games, but aren't really good at them.  I don't consider myself really great at games.. I have a great ability to figure things out.  This is probably why I loved Ultima Online back in the day.  Knowing how the game worked, was probably the most important aspect of pvp (whether you won/lost).  As opposed to level based games that almost always have uber gear and Iwin buttons.  So in this aspect someone with a good ability to learn and stick with something can do well in any skill based game.  Toss in some people with experience giving you advice and/or helping you in other ways... You can become able to compete quickly (or help a corp).

2) When players are created equal.

When you take two players of equal ability and one has years of personal experience in a game...  Who do you honestly think is going to win in a fight?  Unless you are talking about a situation that totally comes down to random dice rolls... Equal ability plus experience should win.

I'm not actually trying to argue with the OP.... I agree with them basicly.

What I  "AM" stating is that this is why I prefer skill based games... every time.

Its also much easier to bring a friend into a skill based game at any point and have them able to play with you... no need to mentor etc etc  Just enjoy the game...

Oh yes and if I didn't mention it enough times already... Skill based is the way mmoprg's should be made (in my opinion).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

the OP's statement holds no bearing when using a veteran to prove the point.A very new player will not yet have the knowledge to do anything by the tenth day as in any other game.If a 4 year vet loses to a total 10 day noob they should quit the game.Using a game like wow ,if yo uwant to use a veterans standpoint as you did here,then a player could easily be level 50 in 30 days,or higher.Heck if i wanted i could get a 50 level player in FFXI a much harder game to level in 30 days.

Plus you have to factor in weather the 4 year vet was aiming for a 1 on 1 battle,he would have far more coices to make sure he could beat the noob no matter what.Just going on a whim in some massive battle ya a noob could kill a veteran in other games,if say the vet just finished a tough battle and had very low hit points and a mage nuked him.None of it really matters as EVE is a game you gain skills by using no skill,so trying to prove its worth is useless IMO,if you actually had to earn something rather than just putting a check mark in a box,that may hold a little more merit,weather it is one day or 100 days or vet or noob does not matter,the system is a bad one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by Interitus

I think you are missing the point though.  This works for people who know how to play the game, who have played for years. That isn't a new player. A new player is a person who enters Eve and just gets lost.  The game has a huge learning curve and unless they have someone helping them along it will take them a while to get to the point where they become useful.  I imagine a truely new player would take longer  to get to 0.0 and haul

That is so wrong..

It has a steep learning curve I will agree with you on that. However, all this game takes is someone with half a brain to figure it out rather quickly and there are tons of helpful people and guides to get people rolling along rather quickly. 

Actually, I was hauling for my Corp in 0.0 in under 5 days. It was fun because it was dangerous. You didn't know what would warp into the system to challenge you.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Mopar63

You seriosuly say you need proof, why,are you so lackin g imagination you cannot seen the scenario? 1 day old player stumbles across say a 4 year old pirate with a 200 mill bounty on his head. The priate is in a pod and has hidden at a planet while he goes on bio break. Are you saying that the one day old character in a noob ship could not kill the pod? Civilian weapons can kill a pod!
    Now try the same scenario, take your levle 10 lets say, after all one vs level 10 or something like that you said. Let him find a level 50 character that is AFK, are you telling me he can kill him? Hell he cannot even hit him!
    Now both of these are FACTUAL examples based on the KNOWN and PROVEN mechanics of the games, please tell me what needs to be proven here.

haha, how do you make  "lottery pod killing afk guy "into P V P

1 he actually meant that anyone can kill anyone else regardless of the skills they have. 1 day old pilot can pop a 4 year old pilot. no pvp no tactics, it is simply game mechanically possible. in any other game a 1 day old character cant even touch a 4 year old character. even if the 4year old lets him and gets naked on his knees. and even if her get a lucky 0.01% chance to hit he will hit for 1 dmg it will get regened instantly.

2. that situation is extremely improbably. a 4 year old pirate will NEVER EVER hide in a planet in his pod in low/nul sec space. under any circumstances, he will most likely piss on himself before he would leave a pod in a planet like that, at worst case scenario he will be in a safespot and in a frig or shuttle.