Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars hits 6 million milestone

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Congrats to one of the best games ever made.

Just in time for their fourth anniversary celebrations, ArenaNet have announced that Guild Wars has sold over six million copies. Coincidence? We think not but it's still a remarkable milestone for this popular MMO. Remember that market leader World of Warcraft has 11.5 million players worldwide and is subscription based. Guild Wars meanwhile, is free-to-play (plus box costs) and only a few months younger than WoW.

ArenaNet are understandably chuffed about the whole thing, particularly their studio head, Mike O'Brien: "We are humbled by how gamers have responded to Guild Wars over the past four years, and we are proud that the game and its community have helped to continually shape, define, and expand the genre. Our subscription-free business model has proven to be a big hit with gamers, bringing an enormous and diverse online community to the game."

Source:

www.massively.com/2009/04/24/guild-wars-hits-the-6-million-milestone/

Comments

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

guildwars is defo the best mmorpg ive ever played but like any game its goten old after 4 years so im just waiting for gw 2

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

/cheer ANET

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

But thats based on Box sells. If WoW went by that, they would most likely be double its current numbers.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

gratz to ANET and long live Guild Wars!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by tro44_1

But thats based on Box sells. If WoW went by that, they would most likely be double its current numbers.

It is based on accounts activated. For the last time.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Great job Guild Wars!

Guild Wars is definitely the second best MMO I have ever played(behind SWG pre-NGE).

I really hope the developers realize and continue what made Guild Wars such a great game in Guild Wars 2

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

with a no subscription it a damn good game and worth the price

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

That's one nice b-day present indeed :)

Grats!

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Guild wars is not an mmorpg in my openion but its better than most mmorpg out there and ANET deserve it

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by tro44_1

It is based on accounts activated. For the last time.

How many people buy the game and don't activate their free account?

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351

This is a very good news for Guilds War!!! Just curious, how many subscriptions does World Of Warcraft have at the moment??

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Plaidpants

And how many thousand have been gold farmers?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Count me in for 2 .... bleh. I sold both copies on Ebay in less than a week. GW 2 might be decent ... not a fan of the current instancing though.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Gennadios

Originally posted by Plaidpants

And how many thousand have been gold farmers?

and what mmo dont have goldfarmers?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It is quite a milestone, still doesn't come close to the juggernaut of WOW, which probably has sold 30M + copies of their game (counting all expansion sales)

But is was a major player in its day.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622
    Originally posted by Kyleran

It is quite a milestone, still doesn't come close to the juggernaut of WOW, which probably has sold 30M + copies of their game (counting all expansion sales)
    But is was a major player in its day.....

and you do know gw has 4 expansions? its accounts activated

Originally posted by SgtFrog

It's a slightly different metric between, say, a WoW gold farmer/seller and a GW one.

If WoW has 10,000 botting/gold selling accounts at any given time, whenever an account gets banned, another key is bought to replace it. Since WoW only tracks subs, 1 account closed + 1 account opened = 0 net change.

If a GW farming account is closed, the farmers activate a second account. Over a few months of operation a farmer could activate quite a few accounts, all of which will appear in the sales figures.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Originally posted by SgtFrog

It's a slightly different metric between, say, a WoW gold farmer/seller and a GW one.

If WoW has 10,000 botting/gold selling accounts at any given time, whenever an account gets banned, another key is bought to replace it. Since WoW only tracks subs, 1 account closed + 1 account opened = 0 net change.

If a GW farming account is closed, the farmers activate a second account. Over a few months of operation a farmer could activate quite a few accounts, all of which will appear in the sales figures.

Yet the number of gold farmers in Guild Wars is completely dwarfed by the number of gold sellers in games such as WoW. There really is no comparison between the two due to there being such a difference in size. 

And secondly, at the poster who made the comment about people buying the game and not activating the account - what exactly is your point?

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Congrats to you GW and Anet :)

Boxes sold and accts created can be much different. On Ebay at the moment there are lots of 100+ Factions boxes. That counts for boxes sold but not accts activated.

To the gold farming debate it is old and most of us think its redundant. Why do people always have to bring down a good game? Do you feel threatened?

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by almerel

To the gold farming debate it is old and most of us think its redundant. Why do people always have to bring down a good game? Do you feel threatened?

NOT trying a bring down a good game. I wouldn't have dropped the countless hours into GW if I didn't like it. However, prior to the latest content update, GW just didn't feel like a game that had even a fraction of 6 million users.

I have to give Anet credit however, game seemed far more active this past week.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Guild Wars is bloody good value for money.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

However, prior to the latest content update, GW just didn't feel like a game that had even a fraction of 6 million users.
    I have to give Anet credit however, game seemed far more active this past week.

I wont argue with you about that.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.