Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smuggler class CONFIRMED!

Look at this new SWTOR information!!

http://www.swtor-station.com/index.php?p=news&newsid=34

We've made a great discovery at our local magazine shop today. The current issue of gamesTM offers a four-page exlusive report on Star Wars: The Old Republic. So far not very remarkable, but the article contains some interesting statements, which should have been made by a leading BioWare developer. One of them confirms Smuggler as playable class!

We don't want to spread rumours without a basis, so here's the (translated) quote of BioWare's Creative Director James Ohlen as printed in gamesTM:

"... We want to change that with Old Republic and enable the player to take more choices. If you want to muddle through the game like Han Solo as smuggler or like Boba Fett as bounty hunter, you're free to do so."

This confirms what many assumed and hoped: There will be a smuggler class. If we believe this report it will only be a matter of time until the Smuggler is officially announced.

Another interesting quote by James Ohlen deals with the topic of "Good vs. Evil".

"Of course choices will have an impact, which will be most notable when looking at abilities like strength and stamina. Acquiring specific items and gaining further knowledge is also influenced by them. And of course the character's looks are determined by choices too: Your skin and your aura shall clearly depict the way you play. Even if you're not a Jedi or Sith, but choose one of the many other classes."

-Caligatrox

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Caligatrox

We've made a great discovery at our local magazine shop today. The current issue of gamesTM offers a four-page exlusive report on Star Wars: The Old Republic. So far not very remarkable, but the article contains some interesting statements, which should have been made by a leading BioWare developer. One of them confirms Smuggler as playable class!

We don't want to spread rumours without a basis, so here's the (translated) quote of BioWare's Creative Director James Ohlen as printed in gamesTM:
    "... We want to change that with Old Republic and enable the player to take more choices. If you want to muddle through the game like Han Solo as smuggler or like Boba Fett as bounty hunter, you're free to do so."

This confirms what many assumed and hoped: There will be a smuggler class. If we believe this report it will only be a matter of time until the Smuggler is officially announced.
    Another interesting quote by James Ohlen deals with the topic of "Good vs. Evil".
    "Of course choices will have an impact, which will be most notable when looking at abilities like strength and stamina. Acquiring specific items and gaining further knowledge is also influenced by them. And of course the character's looks are determined by choices too: Your skin and your aura shall clearly depict the way you play. Even if you're not a Jedi or Sith, but choose one of the many other classes."

-Caligatrox

Cool news. Tho I am sure not so surprising, since BH was limited to Empire, it was kinda logical to expect Smuggler to come to Republic. ;)

I love the news about how your decisions will influence the way to appear, I really hope they keep that idea and not drop it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• jaycee2006jaycee2006 Member Posts: 466

Seems pretty conclusive, need to wait for official news on the tor website though.

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Would be great to see a smuggler class, definately a plus!

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I would not call this confirmed.....yet.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Yes! High Fives all around! Excellent! Whoo hoo! Far out! Yay! ...etc...etc...etc

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• CaligatroxCaligatrox Member Posts: 3

I wonder how long until SWTOR will let us know if this is true or not

-Caligatrox

• CaligatroxCaligatrox Member Posts: 3

I'll post about it one more time it is 7:14pm their forum time... lets see how long it stays on.

-Caligatrox

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

SWTOR.com deleted my post concerning this subject less than 10 minutes after I posted about it on their forums... so I guess there must be some truth to it.

-Caligatrox

Because the only reason they would delete it is because it is true.

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

SWTOR.com deleted my post concerning this subject less than 10 minutes after I posted about it on their forums... so I guess there must be some truth to it.

-Caligatrox

Because the only reason they would delete it is because it is true.

Actually I made a thread over there titled "Next Confirmed classes for TOR! Scoundrel/Smuggler and Scout!”

//discuss"   way….back in Feb.

The thread grew to about 5 pages in 10min and was deleted faster than crap and I got an infraction for it. xD. So in a way, “if” I am right, then that pretty much confirms that yes they do jump all over those kinda of posts that have truth behind them. Actually if you look at the rumor/design docs from years ago, you would see that indeed scout and smuggler are classes for TOR. We shall see.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I can haz secrut compartments!

The idea of choices influencing alignment suggests that factions are not a fixed choice when rolling a new char of a certain class. I love that idea actually, and it totally eliminates the need for a neutral faction in my opinion; you might start off friendly with some factions/races/towns/groups etc, but that might change when your character evolves and I guess there will always be npc factions who will be neutral to you, whatever your walk of life. Would be nice if it turned out to be as open ended as that but it means quite some extra development work; quests, questgivers and adapted storylines for both 'good' and 'evil' versions of every class ... wow.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Well, it shouldn't be a suprise if there is a smuggling class. It is star wars.  But without ships/middle faction, I dunno how well it would work out.

Unless, you can enter the other sides areas and not be attacked easily/instantly.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Elikal

-Caligatrox

Cool news. Tho I am sure not so surprising, since BH was limited to Empire, it was kinda logical to expect Smuggler to come to Republic. ;)

I love the news about how your decisions will influence the way to appear, I really hope they keep that idea and not drop it.

I don't. Dark Jedi becoming "evil" looking is one thing, a regular character is another. And even that is not a given. They just decided in KotOR that every Dark Jedi would look evil like Palpatine, even though Palpatine did not look any different from anyone else until he was caught in force lightning.

When's the last time you could tell every evil person around simply by looking at them? Did Saddam Hussein have grey skin and glowing red eyes?

Originally posted by Swanea

Well, it shouldn't be a suprise if there is a smuggling class. It is star wars.  But without ships/middle faction, I dunno how well it would work out.

Unless, you can enter the other sides areas and not be attacked easily/instantly.

Here’s the low-down

Thru story arc development it sounds like you can, eventauly, but not instantly. Or maybe since there is a treaty and it’s just a war of small skirmishes, you start out not being attacked in certain areas at all. In TOR from what they say you start out as the bad guy in a bad place, but turn to the good guy in a bad place trying to do good things, orr the good guy, who goes bad based on your choices.

It might also effect how you appear to other players in your own faction on a PvP level. Consider it like "unlocking" the opposite factional direction, or perhaps middleground/ neutral if you can balance that with the choices you make, which may be hard (yes they said you could be Gray Jedi so I assume other class can have something similar). It will also effect what quests open up and what direction they go, so essentially no 2 people will play the game exactly the same.

You might have factional points that you can not see that effect how and what NPC interact with you. Unlike in SWG where you could chose not to be on any side, you have to pick a side in TOR. Unlike in SWG where you can watch factional points, in TOR you may not see them. In SWG say if you had poor faction with Jabba, but you wanted to do his themepark, you went out and killed a bunch Valerians for faction points. In TOR there may be so many twists and turns, once you make a choice you can’t just go back in one day and undo that choice, it sticks with you for hours and hours within the game. Neutral in SWG was really made to be as a transitional stage, not a real faction or something permanent and was actually lame because it shut you out of crap loads of content, since there wasn’t really any created for it.

This might actually be more fun since say you are Sith and you begin to lean towards the Jedi/Republic side, something may happen that pulls you back to Sith in your story arc. Something that makes you go, Oh shit, that’s crap! Screw the Republic” Would it also effect how you feel towards you peers you play with who are Republic? If they really can build the story to the point it draws you in like that, it would be great.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by DarkPony

The idea of choices influencing alignment suggests that factions are not a fixed choice when rolling a new char of a certain class. I love that idea actually, and it totally eliminates the need for a neutral faction in my opinion; you might start off friendly with some factions/races/towns/groups etc, but that might change when your character evolves and I guess there will always be npc factions who will be neutral to you, whatever your walk of life. Would be nice if it turned out to be as open ended as that but it means quite some extra development work; quests, questgivers and adapted storylines for both 'good' and 'evil' versions of every class ... wow.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that faction is a fixed choice when rolling a class. The only thing alignment effects is your "good or evil" status. If you roll republic and become evil, you are just an evil republic person. Same if you roll a Sith and become good, you are just a good guy but still a Sith member. At least that's how it was explained before.

I'm glad smuggler is added for those that like it, even though the idea/concept has never really been appealing to me. What I don't understand for the life of me is the "each side has specific classes". This really doesn't make sense to me from any point of view. Lore wise, what, Only the Republic needs to smuggle stuff and only the Sith need people hunted down? Stupid and doesn't make sense. The whole argument of "We would need to create two seperate stories per class" doesn't make sense either. They are going to have to make a story for every class on each side, what does it matter if it's a duplicate class? Are they then saying that they are going to have double the classes expected of an MMO, split half and half between the two factions? Or are they going to have the same number of classes split half and half between the factions(which would mean there would only be like 4-5 classes per side). If it's the first one, that doesn't make any sense as they still need to create just as much content, only for different classes. If it's the latter, well that is really lame that they are only going to have such few classes for each faction. Not to mention balance issues on top of it.

I just don't get it. WoW only had 1 unique class for each faction and ended up adding them to the other factions because of balance(granted Blizzard balances classes like a blind retarded monkey, but none the less).

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

-Caligatrox

What I want is a medic class. Pistol, Cool clothes and lots of bacta.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

Smuggler has the potential to be lots of fun ... so long as they make sure to impart the feel.

I'd like Imperial Players to have the ability to inspect cargo. If they're carrying something illegal and it's detected (against a smuggler ability score), then a PvP event occurs.

That would certainly spice up bumping into people anywhere in space or on the ground.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by DarkPony

Actually, I'm fairly certain that faction is a fixed choice when rolling a class. The only thing alignment effects is your "good or evil" status. If you roll republic and become evil, you are just an evil republic person. Same if you roll a Sith and become good, you are just a good guy but still a Sith member. At least that's how it was explained before.

I'm glad smuggler is added for those that like it, even though the idea/concept has never really been appealing to me. What I don't understand for the life of me is the "each side has specific classes". This really doesn't make sense to me from any point of view. Lore wise, what, Only the Republic needs to smuggle stuff and only the Sith need people hunted down? Stupid and doesn't make sense. The whole argument of "We would need to create two seperate stories per class" doesn't make sense either. They are going to have to make a story for every class on each side, what does it matter if it's a duplicate class? Are they then saying that they are going to have double the classes expected of an MMO, split half and half between the two factions? Or are they going to have the same number of classes split half and half between the factions(which would mean there would only be like 4-5 classes per side). If it's the first one, that doesn't make any sense as they still need to create just as much content, only for different classes. If it's the latter, well that is really lame that they are only going to have such few classes for each faction. Not to mention balance issues on top of it.

I just don't get it. WoW only had 1 unique class for each faction and ended up adding them to the other factions because of balance(granted Blizzard balances classes like a blind retarded monkey, but none the less).

Yeah, if it is like you say it would be disappointing for me as well I think. Well, at least we can hope that the consequences from choices you make won't be limited to stats and cosmetic effects.

Regarding classes; they might implement a certain mirroring between factions. A Smuggler could have similar functionality as a Bounty Hunter, for instance. A little bit like WAR in that regard.

I think they can't get around a certain degree of mirroring if classes are really limited to single factions for the sake of balance.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Earliest Bioware will release any information is Friday.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

I hope they do have a smuggler class in game.  There is only so much fun it will be to shot at someone with a glowing stick on my Bounty Hunter, it would be nice to have someone once in a while be able to shoot back.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

Originally posted by Cody1174

Earliest Bioware will release any information is Friday.

This Friday. They added a new classes tab under the game info menu just today.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• oddjobs74oddjobs74 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

-Caligatrox

I don't. Dark Jedi becoming "evil" looking is one thing, a regular character is another. And even that is not a given. They just decided in KotOR that every Dark Jedi would look evil like Palpatine, even though Palpatine did not look any different from anyone else until he was caught in force lightning.

When's the last time you could tell every evil person around simply by looking at them? Did Saddam Hussein have grey skin and glowing red eyes?

Have you been to a Sea Org Building?

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

-Caligatrox

Kind of reminds me of the KOTOR games- roughly the same thing went as far as character looks based on actions. At least I think I remember it that way. I could be losing it.

I do recall how sweet it was when the fully light-sided toon would stand (all high and mighty), with the light aura around him in the character menu.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

It just falls in line with the best-worst- kept secret ever!