Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start?

cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Has the game been out too long for a newbie to start playing. I went back to DAOC after 6 years and i love it, but the classic servers are dieing quick.

So i would love to give LOTRO a try, but i dont want to spend a year learning eveything (If there is a steep learning curve)

Thanks guys/gals

Comments

• Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110

Don't think it would be too bad. then again i'm one of those that can pick up on mmos rather quick.

• RyukeRyuke Member Posts: 58

The learning curve isn't that steep at all. A comprehensive tutorial pretty much covers the first few levels and eases you into the main game nicely.

As for timing, now is as good as ever, if not better! There are still newer players joining due to Moria's release, plus the 2 year anniversary offer is a good deal and is bound to attract a few more players. Plus, with alt rolling so popular in LOTRO, there's still a nice spread of levels thoughout the game.

I'm on the EU servers, so I can't speak on behalf of the US servers but all of the EU seems pretty populated and busy. I've been playing since launch and never had any issues finding groups but now is even easier when I roll a new alt.

Good luck! I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by cvette

Has the game been out too long for a newbie to start playing. I went back to DAOC after 6 years and i love it, but the classic servers are dieing quick.
    So i would love to give LOTRO a try, but i dont want to spend a year learning eveything (If there is a steep learning curve)

Thanks guys/gals

There is certainly not a steep learning curve. Very easy game to pick up.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

From what i read online i have to buy the DVD to get the high res files?

I found a highres client ( big mother)

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68

Learning in lotro is easy because it has a great tutorial and also a nice community that will help you with anything you do not understand.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Originally posted by sarahstewart

Learning in lotro is easy because it has a great tutorial and also a nice community that will help you with anything you do not understand.

Sometimes I think I must play a completely different LOTRO than everyone else...(which would also explain why the game is so empty...)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• mviratamvirata Member UncommonPosts: 55

I just bought this game yesterday and I used the "suggested servers for new players" that comes up on the splash screen.  I rolled 2 guys on both of the suggested servers and it's got quite a few people.  Interaction is very minimal though but I did talk to a few people here and there.

I am only level 10 so I haven't gotten too far yet.  I haven't gotten to a part where i require a group yet but it's fine because I am still learning the game.

Difficulty isn't too bad because instead of a tutorial they just give you access to features as the game moves on.  It drove me nuts that there was a mailbox on the minimap and i searched high and low with no luck.  But on the next level it was available to me on the same spot on the minimap.  Also they don't give you a something to return home quickly, like a spell or a rune.  I was getting mad that I had to run everywhere.  I was also mad there was no flee or run fast a few a seconds button.  Turns out on the next level I got both of these.

I haven't even done crafting yet or been introducted to it.  I think it is in the town I am about to go to though.

The only advice I can give you is if you get it, read the wiki and look at the classes.  The classes aren't your typical fighter, warrior, wizard, thief.  I am still mad there is no true Wizard class, this the first MMO that I ever rolled a Warrior Class.  As an example my main is a Captain who apparantly has the only resurrection during combat ability.  Their healer type class can only res in later levels and not in combat (not sure if I am exact on this but I am pretty sure it's what I read).  

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Yes.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

yeah your correct the healer cant res untill higher levels and out of combat which kinda sucks I know :)

• DarkRanger65DarkRanger65 Member Posts: 83

Actually the Minstrel and Captain can rez at level 20, not sure about the Rune-Keeper and Loremaster.

The minstrel gets a Legendary trait at the higher levels for a in combat rez.

MMO Played-EQ, EQ2, WOW, DDO, GW, COH, Vanguard, WAR

MMOs Playing-LOTRO

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Minstrels, Lore masters and Rune keepers get out of combat rezes.

Captains have 2 different in-combat rezes, a normal one at lvl 20 and 1 you get at higher levels called Cry for vengence that is a bit tricky to pull off since you only have like 5 seconds after the guy dying and most be within 10 meters.

Minstrels get a legendary trait for in combat rez.

Rune keepers also get a wierd in combat rez that is a buff you put on a fellow and if he dies wthin a minute he gets rezed.

And to answer the OP: No its not to late :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Papadam

Minstrels, Lore masters and Rune keepers get out of combat rezes.
    Captains have 2 different in-combat rezes, a normal one at lvl 20 and 1 you get at higher levels called Cry for vengence that is a bit tricky to pull off since you only have like 5 seconds after the guy dying and most be within 10 meters.
    Minstrels get a legendary trait for in combat rez.
    Rune keepers also get a wierd in combat rez that is a buff you put on a fellow and if he dies wthin a minute he gets rezed.
    And to answer the OP: No its not to late :)

I think Papadam hit the nail on the head, probley the best answer :P

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Sometimes I think I must play a completely different LOTRO than everyone else...(which would also explain why the game is so empty...)

Judging by your posts, yeah, you are not playing the same game as everyone else, that, or you like to be intentionally wrong.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• mykpfsumykpfsu Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by mvirata

I just bought this game yesterday and I used the "suggested servers for new players" that comes up on the splash screen.  I rolled 2 guys on both of the suggested servers and it's got quite a few people.  Interaction is very minimal though but I did talk to a few people here and there.
    I am only level 10 so I haven't gotten too far yet.  I haven't gotten to a part where i require a group yet but it's fine because I am still learning the game.
    Difficulty isn't too bad because instead of a tutorial they just give you access to features as the game moves on.  It drove me nuts that there was a mailbox on the minimap and i searched high and low with no luck.  But on the next level it was available to me on the same spot on the minimap.  Also they don't give you a something to return home quickly, like a spell or a rune.

You should have a map home that transports you to the last milestone you've activated.

As for the original question.  No its not too late.  When I get back to Bree I still see group requests for beginning quests.  Plus new stuff gets added at a good rate.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

@Mvirata: there isn't a pure wizard class in LOTRO, because in the Tolkien lore there aren't really any wizards or sorcerers, save Gandalf, Saruman and a few others (5 or something?), and they aren't exactly regular folks like you or I are playing in-game. If I recall correctly, Gandalf isn't even a human. Nor a dwarf or an elf or a hobbit. Gandalf is a kind of Yoda, to use a comparable metaphor. Sure, you can play a Jedi, but you can't play a Yoda.

@the OP: I just returned to the Laurelin EU-RP server, after a year's absence, and it's still busy as heck. I've been logging in at various times the last couple weeks, and there's always people about. And I still see many of the old, large, guild names that were there when I played around release. So it's still alive and kicking. I can recommend re-subbing.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Judging by your posts, yeah, you are not playing the same game as everyone else, that, or you like to be intentionally wrong.

Some consider this kind of behaviour trolling, and some are actually right.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by cvette

Thanks guys/gals

Usually when someone talks about a game having been out "too long", it's either because of a perception of competition with the existing playerbase or because of population concerns.  In LoTRO, you don't really need to worry about competitive concerns.  Sure, some people are at the cap already and may have lots of money, but there's not really any competition that would somehow make you feel inferior about starting from scratch.  Also, PvP isn't like most other games.  You don't play against the other players you see - just their monsters when they decide to make a monster toon, and most people don't really spend a high percentage of their time doing it.

As to the population concerns, the servers have relatively stable populations, and although the starting zones aren't as packed as they were when the game came out, you can usually find at least a few people to group with.  It really doesn't take long to get past the content in the newbie areas.

If you like the lore and the mechanics of the game, give it a try.  The length of time it's been out (only 2 years) shouldn't affect your enjoyment much at all.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

You know, I have really been looking for an MMO to play for a very long time...and I really can not get into any game out right now...but LORTO seems to be the MMO where I could just get on and play and do stuff until a game that really interests me comes out. Might d/l and play the free time they are giving out till the 30th.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• NiimNiim Member Posts: 46

I bought lifesub when the game was released, but it didnt caught my attention then and I stopped playing it.

Short answer in this colour below.

Late last year I started to play the game again. I play on a EU server called Gilrain. I went into the game with the same question as you, is it too late to start? I have played 5-6 months now and the answer is no, this game is very young and alive. Its only 2 years young with many people joining and many lower lvls of alts. Sure the first 15-20 lvls may be a little spare, but its because those lvls fly by very quick even if you solo.

The game was very easy to learn and the game even has a "advice" channel in the chat to ask newbie questions in. I found the attitude very good in the game and the higher lvl people really helpful(even beyond what is required). The only hard thing I encountered was to learn how to set up the UI, but after 30-40 minutes of Google and trying ingame I got the hang of it and its very customizable.

I play as a captain(race of Man). Im not a hardcore player, I explore a lot and I guess you could get a lot higher lvls in 5-6 months if you were more hardcore then me.

Level 1-10:

This is the tutorial levels. I did it solo and the levels just flew by.

Level 11-20:

Now you start your adventure out in the big LotRO world from the safety of the starting zone. I soloed most of it, at the higher levels of the tier more group quest started to show up in the quest journal. I was suprised how many who was on the same group quest as I when I asked in the LFF channel (LFF= looking for fellowship(fellowship=group)). The levels come and go quickly.

Level 21-30:

This tier I grouped a lot and had a blast. I got the feeling this tier got the most players so far I have played. The phase of the leveling starts to slow down a litte with a little more depth in the quests. Im pretty sure you could solo thru this tier pretty easy, avoiding the grp quest, but with so many people to group up with I grouped a lot.

Level 31-40:

This tier took me the longest time to get thru, to begin with it was fairly hard to get a group and the solo play a little harder(but still possible). But then Mines of Moria expansion was released and people started to play alts(two new classes was introduced). From lvl 35-40 I grouped a lot with people. Right now Im lvl 40 of 60 possible.

Standing in Bree I mostly see lower level characters(15-25) and high levels(50-60) and its quite a lot of people running around. Its never really empty, except at very late hours of the day. The other day I was out in the middle of nowhere, in some forest in the corner of the map, exploring, and suddenly there where 3 people running by. I almost did number two, because I though I was alone out there. :D

Right now Turbine(US)/Codemaster(EU) try to get more people into the game with very low prices on the game and 2 year anniversary deals(The game had its 2 year birthday last Friday). Codemaster made a deal with a site and they gave away 5000 subs for free last week.  I see a lot of low lvl characters and there is still many alts after the last expansion, I think this time is a idealistic time to start playing the game.

Im happy I gave it a try. After the first 20 lvls the game really starts. I joined a guild pretty early too, but I didnt start to group with them until a higher lvls when the expansion was release and they started to play alts. :)

Hope you give it a try mate.

All I write here is my own experience and I dont talk for the whole community.

Take care all!

Niim

Now Playing: LotRO:MoM Waiting for: Earthrise, The Warhammer 40k mmo
    Collecting dust on my shelf: Ultima Online, EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Lineage II, SWG, EQ2, D&D Online, Vanguard:SoH, Tabula Rasa, PoTBS, AoC, WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Sometimes I get the feeling you are playing a different game than everyone else, as well.

You have complaints about the game that I never had and I can't tell if you just ended up in a bad place in the game (which is possible) where you can't seem to find the good stuff (also possible) or if your perception of what is fun or how things should be done is just different from others.

I know you said that you were at lvl 43 for somethign like 3 weeks in another post because you couldn't find the solo quests. Since I am primarily a soloer I found that a bit hard to believe at this point in the game. Earlier there were too many group quests and I just dropped my sub. But when I came back after they added content, I found that I was very much able to solo all the way to 60 (well, not exclusively as I do enjoy grouping a small bit as well, but I have soloed most of this game).

As a matter of fact, there are places I have never explored. Forochel, the frozen area is one. I entere there when it was released, took a few quests and just left to do other things. So there is content there that one can miss all together and still get through the levels.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

hey yeah there is a good amount of content that you can skip and still get to the end of the game.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The only problem I have ever had with LOTRO were the Book quests. The steps that require groups were annoying and often times I could never find enough people to party with to knock them out. The steps I was able to complete were great but after awhile of not being able to complete them I gave up and eventually left the game because without that story LOTRO is a pretty shallow game. I have gone back a few times but still end up leaving because of that.

I always wished that the books could be completed with smaller groups.. Having to rely on people you will most likely never see again got under my skin. Probably could have have more of an impact if the player felt like they were doing their part instead of waiting hours on end trying to find others to do the steps with and on many occasions you would be rushed on to the next step without being able to take in what just happened or else you would be left behind.

Other than that it is never to late to start.

I party agree with you, some of the book content would be nice if it could be completed by smaller size groups, I never really had a problem finding good groups but I can imagine that some peeps do.

and yeah its never too late to start :P

• mviratamvirata Member UncommonPosts: 55

OK so I have been playing this for a few weeks now and man I just really  can't get into this game.   After quitting console gaming (for the second time in my life) and buying a new PC I bought this and WAR since the prices were down.  I really wish I got this as a trial.  Well, I gave it a shot maybe I'll give it another shot in the future but right now I am liking WAR more and will stick with it, I only want to do one MMO at a time right now.  I think I just got game happy when I bought my new PC.

I don't think this game is going to going anywhere for a looong time so I  can always resubscribe.  So all in all, a good game, not to my liking at moment, but maybe in the future.