Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

active subscriptions

hi i have question how many people play Lord of the Rings Online? And can someone tell me main difference between Lord of the Rings and Warhammer Online? I cant decide what to play and both games seem good for me and i know that Warhammer have approximately 300 000 active subsctiptions, but i dont know how many lotro have ...

Comments

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

I actually don't think Warhammer has 300,000 subs anymore, and they continue to drop. LoTRO is supposed to have around 300,000 and either be steady or slowly growing, everything has a different thought on this though.

WAR PvE is the most uninteresting, bland content ever created. WAR PvP is the same old thing over and over and gets old so fast its ridiculous. That and WAR keeps randomly rebalancing (read breaking) classes over and over, so your main can become garbage at any minute.

LoTRO has great PvE with story and depth, nice houses you can buy, great views. LoTRO currently only has limited PvP in a monster play area where you can either play your regular character or level up a monster who can only be played in this area. A lot of people do find it fun but it doesn't have as much depth as other PvP games you've played.

• detlikdetlik Member Posts: 76

looks like i am buying lotro :)

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

I don't know how this works, but it supposedly shows how many people are online. Right now it's showing 133k on the US servers. status.warriorsofnargathrond.com/

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Play on Brandywine.

• cult7cult7 Member Posts: 59

I tried thr trial of warhammer when i quitted wow.Didnt like it alot,looks like wow plays like wow its imbalance like wow.

Tried lotro after that and 5 days later i bought the game.It so much better,the community,the gameplay,the gfx.

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

I actually don't think Warhammer has 300,000 subs anymore, and they continue to drop. LoTRO is supposed to have around 300,000 and either be steady or slowly growing, everything has a different thought on this though.

WAR PvE is the most uninteresting, bland content ever created. WAR PvP is the same old thing over and over and gets old so fast its ridiculous. That and WAR keeps randomly rebalancing (read breaking) classes over and over, so your main can become garbage at any minute.

LoTRO has great PvE with story and depth, nice houses you can buy, great views. LoTRO currently only has limited PvP in a monster play area where you can either play your regular character or level up a monster who can only be played in this area. A lot of people do find it fun but it doesn't have as much depth as other PvP games you've played.

yeah buy lotro :P

Lotro PvE is awesome and you will feel like there is a point when you are leveling and I dont tend to find this is most mmo's, also the pvp in lotro may be limited but it is unique and very fun

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Ya I picked up LOTRO too after playing the trial. I'm extremly biased as a LOTR fan, currently rereading the books but still. It's nice to play a game that's got a great mature community, lots of players to group with, and has a meaningful story line.

I play it very casually but when I do its like reading a book. I have been sticking to the main quest series, and grouping with others when I need to catch up with XP. All the power to Turbine for only gaining more and more respect for their game.

Originally posted by Goob

Ya I picked up LOTRO too after playing the trial. I'm extremly biased as a LOTR fan, currently rereading the books but still. It's nice to play a game that's got a great mature community, lots of players to group with, and has a meaningful story line.
    I play it very casually but when I do its like reading a book. I have been sticking to the main quest series, and grouping with others when I need to catch up with XP. All the power to Turbine for only gaining more and more respect for their game.

Yeah lotro does have a very mature community and the story is amazing, I think these 2 things is why I still play :P

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

lol............

• MixxathonMixxathon Member UncommonPosts: 28

Yes, LOTRO definitely have the best community of all MMO's out there.

I have played the game on and off since release and am a Founder. I am also what should be called a Casual player and have no interest in any 'Endgame' if it does not include bringing down Barad Dûr. I have yet to reach max level with any of my characters, despite playing a serious amount of time. This game is too damn beautiful so I will not make it into a grindfest rather than a feast for my eyes. Hats of to Turbine for recreating Middle Earth and for having expanded upon Tolkiens ideas and added alot of perfectly suitable locales.

The game shines in it's Book Quests where one gets to deal with the Fellowship and key persons in the story we all know. Also, groupquests are mostly seriously fun. The raids come in many flavours and are on the whole rewarding (after serious tweaking via free updates).

I have of course also played WoW, WAR, AoC, EVE, EQ, EQ2.

WoW= Very fun in the beginning. A good feeling of accomplishment even if only playing 1 hour. But once the novelty wears off, and you have killed your 1000th bear, wolf, or whathaveya - the grind gets to you.

WAR= It has alot of good ideas, wich unfortunately falls completely flat. Public Quests was fun, but if you are depending upon other players to complete them, it would be real nice if there were any around. The Scenarioplay is fun the firts 20 times you run one through, but that wears off pretty quickly. The PvP zones echoes due to emptiness... A complete disappointent.

AoC= This was a seriously great PvE game the first 20 levels, bordering to Fantastic. But, what happened after that was you left the starting area and arrived at....nothing. A very large city with nothing to do in it, really boring quests, grinding in absurdum. Too bad. The first town was one of the greatest designs I have seen in an MMORPG.

EVE= Well, it is really beautiful.... for a spreadsheet. Beautiful... and can be deadly boring. If one has nothing against watching the same scenes over and over again, timesinks extraordinaire, this game might be for you. Not for me.

EQ= Was great at the time, but oh so hard and unforgiving.

EQ2= Zoning. Loadtimes. And a shitload of content. At the time I played, wich were right from the start, the tradeskilling was as complex as fighting a boss. A whole bunch of skills just to create one of the parts in a bigger contraption, with serious implications if anything went wrong. But the game were ultimately a big timesink with endless walking from point A to point B.

There is nothing on the horizon that seems to rival LOTRO. Too bad most of the gamers in the world go for Instant Gratification and gets lured away by games equivalent of a Candy Store.

Oh, did I mention that tradeskilling is fun in LOTRO, or the music system where you can learn different instruments and actually play in a group? How about the deeds? The ingame music is awesome. Water have never looked to great. You can play as a Chicken, for gods sake!!

Lotro is generally I really fun game and it has the community to go with it, I agree with what you are saying about AoC i acutally found the game very nice in the early stages its a shame it gets very boring fast.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Mixxathon

Yes, LOTRO definitely have the best community of all MMO's out there.
    I have played the game on and off since release and am a Founder. I am also what should be called a Casual player and have no interest in any 'Endgame' if it does not include bringing down Barad Dûr. I have yet to reach max level with any of my characters, despite playing a serious amount of time. This game is too damn beautiful so I will not make it into a grindfest rather than a feast for my eyes. Hats of to Turbine for recreating Middle Earth and for having expanded upon Tolkiens ideas and added alot of perfectly suitable locales.
    The game shines in it's Book Quests where one gets to deal with the Fellowship and key persons in the story we all know. Also, groupquests are mostly seriously fun. The raids come in many flavours and are on the whole rewarding (after serious tweaking via free updates).
    I have of course also played WoW, WAR, AoC, EVE, EQ, EQ2.
    WoW= Very fun in the beginning. A good feeling of accomplishment even if only playing 1 hour. But once the novelty wears off, and you have killed your 1000th bear, wolf, or whathaveya - the grind gets to you.
    WAR= It has alot of good ideas, wich unfortunately falls completely flat. Public Quests was fun, but if you are depending upon other players to complete them, it would be real nice if there were any around. The Scenarioplay is fun the firts 20 times you run one through, but that wears off pretty quickly. The PvP zones echoes due to emptiness... A complete disappointent.
    AoC= This was a seriously great PvE game the first 20 levels, bordering to Fantastic. But, what happened after that was you left the starting area and arrived at....nothing. A very large city with nothing to do in it, really boring quests, grinding in absurdum. Too bad. The first town was one of the greatest designs I have seen in an MMORPG.
    EVE= Well, it is really beautiful.... for a spreadsheet. Beautiful... and can be deadly boring. If one has nothing against watching the same scenes over and over again, timesinks extraordinaire, this game might be for you. Not for me.
    EQ= Was great at the time, but oh so hard and unforgiving.
    EQ2= Zoning. Loadtimes. And a shitload of content. At the time I played, wich were right from the start, the tradeskilling was as complex as fighting a boss. A whole bunch of skills just to create one of the parts in a bigger contraption, with serious implications if anything went wrong. But the game were ultimately a big timesink with endless walking from point A to point B.
    There is nothing on the horizon that seems to rival LOTRO. Too bad most of the gamers in the world go for Instant Gratification and gets lured away by games equivalent of a Candy Store.
    Oh, did I mention that tradeskilling is fun in LOTRO, or the music system where you can learn different instruments and actually play in a group? How about the deeds? The ingame music is awesome. Water have never looked to great. You can play as a Chicken, for gods sake!!

Absolutely spot on, great post!

Now, i admit I never played WAR and EQ, but I have played the rest, and your thoughts echo my experiences brilliantly. Which, if it means that we're probably very similar type of gamers, will mean that I won't bother trying WAR either :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by leinad312

I don't know how this works, but it supposedly shows how many people are online. Right now it's showing 133k on the US servers. status.warriorsofnargathrond.com/

That site, and others like it, is full of crap.  The numbers they show, most likely, are the login que numbers and those persist between server restarts (or some other reset mechanism).  So server A starts up and the first player to connect gets a login que number of 1 and the next player 2 and so on and so on climbing sequentially until a reboot.  There is no external mechanism to determine how many people are logged on to any server, or all servers collectively.  Turbine is the only one who knows those numbers and they are very tight lipped.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD