Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internet issues after outage and Service Call

LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I have Cox Cable for both TV services and Internet Services. Yesterday morning everything went out to the entire house. I called thinking is was an area outage but apparently it wasn't, so I scheduled a Service Call for this morning. Tech got out, confirmed it had to be something on the outside, and found the problem. Apparently the local cable hub is on my neighbor's property, and the cable that runs from it to my house runs under a drainage ditch. Erosion caused the cable to become exposed and my neighbor lit it on fire when he burned some leaves in the ditch yesterday. The tech re-ran the cable up to the house and connected it to the cable box on the outside of the house(No Splice Job). Immediately everything looked good and he left.

TV works fine, and I assumed my computer did too until I tried to play some BF:1942 DC. On a server I get absolutely no lag I was lagging all over the place. At one point I was jumping to a 400 ping. This computer is connected wirelessly to my LAN, and I have another that is as well. The other computer connects just fine to the LAN, but won't actually connect to the internet now. I tried resetting(unplugging 15-20 seconds) both the modem and the router with no results. I also tried disc and reconnecting the connection and restarting the computer. Not really sure what I'm missing.

On my main computer, this one here, I ran a speed test on www.speedtest.net and came up with these numbers:

Download-2.83 Mb/s

Upload-0.64 Mb/s

Ping- 28ms

The site says that is 1/2 the average for my ISP or other Oklahoma testers. I honestly can't remember what it was before, but I know that BF1942: DC never ran this bad before.

What's my move here? I'd prefer to handle this on my own as a learning experience and so I don't have to clean up the computer rooms for the tech and spend the rest of the day waiting for him. I know the info provided is basic thus far, but I figured there must be something simple I'm missing here. We're not talking about any new equipment or anything like that, just trying to get things back to normal.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Recall Cox.  I have cox too and I get a 23MB/s Down, 4MB/s Up on speedtest.  Something probably went wrong with the rewiring or something on there end that throttles different subscription grades.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Download/upload speed and ping/latency are two different things. Also check your service plan and see what you download/upload rates you are paying for. Your speed is much more than adequate for any type of gaming. Try some tests and setup configuration recommendations at www.dslreports.com/

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Appreciate the info and links.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Sounds like it could be a noise issue after the new line was put down.

The name of the line coming into your home is called a "drop" if that wasn't provisioned properly or a temp fix was done it could still cause issues.

The modem could even lock up, check for a 169 IP too.

Is it a phone line or Coax?  (Sorry I don't know Cox)

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

A little closure.

First of all I guess I was wrong about the slow internet connection. Yes it could be a lot faster, but apparently this server was just having a rare bad day. In fact, they started using a server out of Dallas and now I have the best ping in there most days.

As for the issue with the 2nd computer, I just found this under Yahoo Answers for someone's similar question(Great Q&A Place):

"This could be a lot of things, the first i would suggest is to make sure that you are not working offline. on the computer that has no connection open internet explorer anr click on file and make sure that (work offline) is not ticked. if this does not work, on the same page go to tools- internet option - connections- mke sure never dial a connection is ticked noe go to lan settings near the bottom and make sure that auto detect settings is ticked. now select the advanced tab on the top and restore defaults.

if none of this works then your computer is fine and the problem lies with your network card or cable or router. will i go on - oh i suppose i will. first to check the network card. goto control panel and open network connections. right click on you lan connection and select properties, god this better work. ok now see tcp/ipv4 click on this and click on properties now make sure that auto recieve is set on both boxes on the page. ok thats you network card sorted out now if it still is not working, it has to be the router, so first try to swap the cables around, if this does not work then the cbales are fine. and the problem goes a bit deeper, - sorry god a bad cramp now have to go hope this helped. feel free to drop me aline if you get really stuck."

The first bit of advice did the trick. I figured it had to be something in the settings because all the hardware was good and it worked fine right before the cable was cut, or burned heh. Again, thanks for the help.