Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phenom II 955 BE (AM3) Hits the market.

Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Finally AMD has released a top end AM3 processor the X4 955 BE , at about £245 in th UK it is about the same price as an i7 920 but out performs it. With 3.2 GHZ stock and the ability to overclock to a stable 3.7ghz with stock cooler. It has 6mb of cache and I suspect that the X3 720 BE is a X4 955 BE minus one core, as the stats seem so similar.

I'd like this processor but I'm still going with an X3 720 BE so I can invest in a higher end GPU, since games are more and more GPU dependent now. However it seems AMD is making good with the Phenom II line up, and with the new platform we are starting to see victory in the crusade against the Infitel, soon with brother X4 955 BE we shall slaughter the whore i7 Infitel!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Comments

• dinuriumdinurium Member Posts: 79

AMD  have, in my opinion,  always been great.   I will not be making the jump from my dual 3.0.   I find that with my 260 216 sufficient for most games now.   

Im curious what amd is gonna do 12 months from now with this whole x3 thing.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Another review click where on gaming the x4 955 defeats the i7 965 in gaming, though it's only a benchmark it seems the X4 955 is better than an i7 920 but cheaper and can out perform a 965.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

You don't buy a Core i7 for gaming, its a productivity processor with high floating point calculations and a limited L2 cache.  Even the Core 2 Duo outperforms the Core i7 in games currently.  I think it will change in a couple years as more games are optimized for the Phenom and Core i7 architecture.  However, Intel has made some huge mistakes with the Core i7, they have the best productivity processor right now but they cannot sell it.  The Core i5 is also going to be incompatible with the Core i7, having 2 products at the same time incompatible with each other is just a plain bad plan.  Where as the AMD plan to support even socket 940 and 939 boards with AM3 processors offers a great upgrade path.  Also comparitavely with the Nahelhiem Xeon and Opteron processors, the Opteron boards simply have more sockets and memory support then Xeons.  You can drop Opterons into a Quad Socket board with double the memory capacity, and that will always outperform 2 processors on an Intel board.  Then finally there is watts.  The watts on the Intel Processor are lower, but the watts on the platform are higher because the processor handles less. 

In the realm Core i7 is meant to excel, workstation/server market.  It does poorly because the competitor offers a better value.  Which means you still will find it hard to see a super computer based on Intel hardware.

Overrall, I would say the 955BE on an AM2+ board is a good value.  Mainly since there still isn't much of a reason to use an AM3 board yet aside from more SATA ports and a 1~2% performance increase with DDR3 ram.  Its also capable of a slightly higher overclock then a 940BE.  All for a low price.  However, like any hardware the moment of such a great value is bittersweet as AMD is releasing 6-core processors next month.

I am pretty sure over the next 12 months AMD plans are similiar to Intels plans.  They are reducing their die size to 32nm or 28nm depending on if they are an early adopter of IBMs process.  They are both trying to put the northbridge onto the processor.  I imagine AMD will be more successful with this considering they have a much better northbridge.  They are both upping the cores first to 6 then to 8, and moving onto SATA6, and USB3.0.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

More tests that shows how good the 995 BE works.

www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx no overclock results

www.legionhardware.com/document.php no overclock results

www.techreport.com/articles.x/16796/13 overclock results and here the 955 shows its brute power :) 

But as they said at Tom´s Hardware "We’re still not looking at a Core i7-killer (or even competitor) here. After all, AMD’s fastest offering isn’t able to match even the slowest i7 chip, unless you count gaming, where most of these quad-core chips perform so similarly that it isn’t worth factoring in the tenths of a frame."  -www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-12.html

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

Originally posted by Cleffy

However, Intel has made some huge mistakes with the Core i7, they have the best productivity processor right now but they cannot sell it.  The Core i5 is also going to be incompatible with the Core i7, having 2 products at the same time incompatible with each other is just a plain bad plan. ...
    They are both trying to put the northbridge onto the processor. I imagine AMD will be more successful with this considering they have a much better northbridge. They are both upping the cores first to 6 then to 8, and moving onto SATA6, and USB3.0.

What I know about Intel sells alot more than they had excpet (with the econmic crises and such). One million i7 processers shiped and going strong.

And I to believe that AMD will have more scuess with their plans of intergret the NB. Hope we are right :) 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

I love coming to the hardware forums on this site because it just makes me lol like crazy with the denial of reality.  OMG it managed to barely defeat an i7 in 3 out the 20+ benchmarks done, it must be the bestest evar!!!!  It's nice to see AMD take the right step and start to move out of the reject section of the bargain bin, but they still have a long way to go

member of imminst.org

Originally posted by n25philly

I love coming to the hardware forums on this site because it just makes me lol like crazy with the denial of reality.  OMG it managed to barely defeat an i7 in 3 out the 20+ benchmarks done, it must be the bestest evar!!!!  It's nice to see AMD take the right step and start to move out of the reject section of the bargain bin, but they still have a long way to go

I find your lack of faith DISTURBING!

CS Lewis

Pkay something something...darkside.

And ofc we are happy to see that AMD is doing good n25philly. That company did have quite red numbers this q2 as they had last year and every single good thing is worth to mention. Becuse you  wouldnt want to have one single CPU maker would you?

Edit: a man. It would really suck to have just Intel....

Originally posted by astrob0y

Pkay something something...darkside.
    And ofc we are happy to see that AMD is doing good n25philly. That company did have quite red numbers this q2 as they had last year and every single good thing is worth to mention. Becuse you  wouldnt want to have one single CPU maker would you?

Edit: a man. It would really suck to have just Intel....

Agreed, AMD is the only thing that kept Intel honest. Without AMD we'd all be using shitty Pentium IIs that cost £/$ 1000.

CS Lewis

• zuzkezuzke Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by n25philly

denial of reality

AMD

reject section of the bargain bin

lol.  intel fanbot detected. AMD has always beat intel in price/performance. enjoy paying 3 times as much for 3% more fps. and the shitty nvidia chipsets.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

But as they said at Tom´s Hardware "We’re still not looking at a Core i7-killer (or even competitor) here. After all, AMD’s fastest offering isn’t able to match even the slowest i7 chip, unless you count gaming, where most of these quad-core chips perform so similarly that it isn’t worth factoring in the tenths of a frame."  -www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-12.html

Yep: Phenom II doesn’t really compete with Core i7

"Except Core i7 920

AMD is advising its customers and partners that its CPUs are great stuff for the price and we can back up such a claim. The Phenom II X4 955 is selling for $245, which is a great price for quad core at 3.2GHz. On top of it, this CPU overclocks to over 4GHz on air which is pretty great score for $249 or €233 in Europe.

Core i7 920 at 2.66GHz that should be slower than Phenom II X4 955 in most of the cases is selling for $279.99 or €251 in Europe.

AMD admits that Core i7 940 and 965 are something it cannot compete with, but it advises customers to watch the price as Core i7 940 sells for $559.99, €480 in Europe and the king of the hill 3.2GHz Core i7 965 sells for massive $999.99 or €889 in Europe.

Nehalem, Core i7 Bloomfield generation is a great CPU, but its really overpriced especially since the infrastructure like motherboard and memory should cost an arm or leg"

I think that is is great at AMD come in with a competitive priced CPU. You can still get an Core i7 920 with a basic X58 board and still beat PII 955 in a top end AMD board, thats is just the way it is. Charts can show the BE being overclocked but so can the I7.

Some of the main arguments is that an I7 + X58 is expensive. Well that AM3 chip still nice a similar priced board to compete, comes $60 cheaper and the I7 CPU itself and now DDR3 is well cheap it is the same there. Simply put in the three key area's the I7+regular X58+ same Ram will come in about $60 more expensive. That I can live with for better perfomance and ignore the charts which put the AMD chip higher just because it's overclocked.. The 955 uses 20% more power when idle.

Compared to the Core i7-920, it loses hands down although the chip does come close in some games.

Don't get me wrong I like AMD but if I can get something better for a bit more I will. There are only 15 boards that will work with the chip and only 7 of them ddr3.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

"Except Core i7 920

AMD is advising its customers and partners that its CPUs are great stuff for the price and we can back up such a claim. The Phenom II X4 955 is selling for $245, which is a great price for quad core at 3.2GHz. On top of it, this CPU overclocks to over 4GHz on air which is pretty great score for $249 or €233 in Europe.

Core i7 920 at 2.66GHz that should be slower than Phenom II X4 955 in most of the cases is selling for $279.99 or €251 in Europe.

AMD admits that Core i7 940 and 965 are something it cannot compete with, but it advises customers to watch the price as Core i7 940 sells for $559.99, €480 in Europe and the king of the hill 3.2GHz Core i7 965 sells for massive $999.99 or €889 in Europe.

Nehalem, Core i7 Bloomfield generation is a great CPU, but its really overpriced especially since the infrastructure like motherboard and memory should cost an arm or leg"

I think that is is great at AMD come in with a competitive priced CPU. You can still get an Core i7 920 with a basic X58 board and still beat PII 955 in a top end AMD board, thats is just the way it is. Charts can show the BE being overclocked but so can the I7.

Some of the main arguments is that an I7 + X58 is expensive. Well that AM3 chip still nice a similar priced board to compete, comes $60 cheaper and the I7 CPU itself and now DDR3 is well cheap it is the same there. Simply put in the three key area's the I7+regular X58+ same Ram will come in about $60 more expensive. That I can live with for better perfomance and ignore the charts which put the AMD chip higher just because it's overclocked.. The 955 uses 20% more power when idle.

Compared to the Core i7-920, it loses hands down although the chip does come close in some games.

Don't get me wrong I like AMD but if I can get something better for a bit more I will. There are only 15 boards that will work with the chip and only 7 of them ddr3.

Well AMD advantages are that it's backwards compatable and the AM3 socket is future proof. i7 isn't bacwards compatable and Intel is releasing a new socket this year along with a new chip. So is the i7 future proof? We don't know, there is another platform that in the best case scenario will be developed along side the 1366 socket, which can't be good.

AMD is focused on the AM3 socket and phenom II processor. Intel is working atleast two new sockets and chip types side by side, a juggling act that could get ugly. Also AMD has better chipsets for motherboards and chip architecture, Intel has raw power nothing else.

Also everything for AMD is cheaper, Intel costs more and it's a risk now.

CS Lewis

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

What do you mean by Intel being a risk?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Agricola1

"Except Core i7 920

Well AMD advantages are that it's backwards compatable and the AM3 socket is future proof. i7 isn't bacwards compatable and Intel is releasing a new socket this year along with a new chip. So is the i7 future proof? We don't know, there is another platform that in the best case scenario will be developed along side the 1366 socket, which can't be good.

AMD is focused on the AM3 socket and phenom II processor. Intel is working atleast two new sockets and chip types side by side, a juggling act that could get ugly. Also AMD has better chipsets for motherboards and chip architecture, Intel has raw power nothing else.

Actually there is a good possiblity that intel's 32nm process will fit in X58, the chips inbetween with IGA wont be socket 1366 and cost cheaper. I can get better performance for 25 quid. 955BE enters into that sweet spot and I like that too.

Originally posted by noquarter

What do you mean by Intel being a risk?

I meant a risk for someone like myself who likes to upgrade atleast every year if not more, I'm unsure what Intel is planning to do with this two socket/CPU juggling act. It means upgrading is a risky prospect, although it may turn out great.

CS Lewis

• Dreadknot357Dreadknot357 Member Posts: 148

"Except Core i7 920

Dreadknot Approved!

PS and that DDR3 is only at 1600......

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Wonder if it will come in plaid...its my favorite color. No plaid...no purchase.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by lttexxan

Wonder if it will come in plaid...its my favorite color. No plaid...no purchase.

You could always mod it.

===============================

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by lttexxan

You could always mod it.

Sold!

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.