Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVPers should stay away from WoW

icytear83icytear83 Member Posts: 47

1) bgs are fail - think afkers and poor people having to put up with them till they lose because of a 15 min penalty if you leave a bg. AVs in some bgs, are completely one sided, think 9 alliance vs 40 horde, and vice versa

2) arena is fail - s5 is completely fail - the introduction of stupid hidden rating system was fail - blizz claim :This ensures that players will not feel penalized for moving between teams, and high ranked teams will not feel penalized for trying out new players without much risk to the team rating itself."

what i saw: people with terrible skill paying players with a 2.4k hidden rating to get them high ratings they do not deserve, some  new players doesn't want to try out with fellow new players cos the rating gain is so low.  2 Players with decent skill playing 1600s team - 17 wins, 5 losses, rating gain = 60 after spending hrs. ( Go Grind arena! if spending 40 mins match against FOTM teams dk/pally wasn't enough) Bad player pairs up with good player with hidden rating 2.4k playing 24 matchs with team mostly in the 1500s, 6 wins, 18 losses, rating gain = 90.

3) wintergrasp = laggrasp, same thing some people just afk to get their dailies done, in the start servers went down a few times cos it can't handle the lag

introduction of terrible arena zones like the ring of valor ( go sap! before match even starts!) no los available until pillars rising)

there are a lot tons more reason if i have to list why the whole s5 was a big fail but basically, for those pvpers who are thinking of trying wow - stay away. Its a decent pve game, but a terrible pvp game. No way this game should be considered an e-sport.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

While arenas and battlegrounds now make up a large portion of the pvp in WoW, they definitely do not define the whole player vs player aspect.

In reality, the controls and gameplay are still the best around.  Yea season 5 was the weakest season but thats to be expected after an expansion and sweeping class changes all around.  Even the armor looked horrible ><

Also, the afkers do suck.  There is a system to punish them but you really need to blame your fellow players who aren't taking advantage of that reporting system.  Its like when people complain about gold sellers spamming trade chat, yet do not use the report spam function.

Also, I can honestly say that the hidden rating feature works and it works well.  I played as a holy pally in season 5 with barely 200 resilience.  I went through something like 6 or 7 partners, trying different combos and what not.  When I finally settled on a decent partner, we played tons and tons of games.  At first, because we were so low, our rating tried to "pull" us to 1300, so we were barely getting points for wins.  THEN, we just started getting 15-20 points per win, even though the teams we were playing didn't seem that skilled.  And for those teams that were really really good, well we would only lose like 5 points to them and they would only gain 6 or 7. 

I know its kind of a confusing system, but it works.

• Kez95Kez95 Member UncommonPosts: 53

There is no way to guarantee fair and fun fights in any game.  Even in chess or checkers, one player gets to go first.  I don't see why you pick on WoW.  In early DaoC, you had to wait for a teleport for 10-15 minutes then go get zerged by a much bigger force.  Eventually the battle would become more fair after a few hours then you would just be zerging the other guys.

I would guess that with my BG experiences in WoW, about 80% of the fights were one-sided or boring and 20% were pretty fun and even, which was about the same with other PvP games.  I didn't care much about winning or losing so a lot of times when we were getting slaughtered I would still find something entertaining to do to the enemy, to frustrate them, make them waste their time chasing me around, whatever.

I didn't do the arena because people take it too serious and I just want to have fun.  If you only play for 'ratings' or 'rank' then I don't think you will ever be happy.

MMORPGs are virtual skinner boxes.

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

WoW is not some unknown MMO. I'd wager that most everyone who has ever played an MMO, has played WoW (Even if only briefly)

WoW is a PVE based game. Its soul is PVE. It just happens to have PvP. However PvP is not its focus. It is a secondary skill in the game

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Czzarre

WoW is not some unknown MMO. I'd wager that most everyone who has ever played an MMO, has played WoW (Even if only briefly)
    WoW is a PVE based game. Its soul is PVE. It just happens to have PvP. However PvP is not its focus. It is a secondary skill in the game

That's not true, for some years now  PVP is very important in WOW, many people only PVP. And it's more present than in other games that claim to be PVP centered.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

nahhh pvpers shouldn't stay away.

Wow can be fun for people that enjoy pvp.

Certain people like how for the last 4+ years WoW has given them 5 BG maps, a handful of Arena boxed maps and only one true pvp zone.

A buddy of mine used to say the players that pvp in wow and do nothing else either sux in PVE progression or are too casual to follow a schedule. I used to only agree with the latter, as time goes on I agree 100%.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

For me PVP ALWAYS gets old after a period of time. How many times can you fight in the same area with the same objective without eventually getting bored? It would be like being forced to run the same PVE mission over and over again. That's why I consider PVP a fun alternative when I don't feel like questing or exploring.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

BG's and Arenas killed PVP in WoW.  Sorry, I meant it killed good/fun PVP.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by rodingo

BG's and Arenas killed PVP in WoW.  Sorry, I meant it killed good/fun PVP.

QFT.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by ktanner3

For me PVP ALWAYS gets old after a period of time. How many times can you fight in the same area with the same objective without eventually getting bored? It would be like being forced to run the same PVE mission over and over again. That's why I consider PVP a fun alternative when I don't feel like questing or exploring.

But how is questing any different? At least in WoW, questing is basically running the same 3-4 quests with a different cover story over and over again. At least with PvP, it is a bit dynamic as it is an actual player on the other end and not a scripted mob.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SwiftSaberSwiftSaber Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by JGMIII

A buddy of mine used to say the players that pvp in wow and do nothing else either sux in PVE progression or are too casual to follow a schedule. I used to only agree with the latter, as time goes on I agree 100%.

i disagree 100%. i guess i can see it being somewhat true on smaller servers but not 100% true.  I've always been raider in the top guilds on every server i played on and always been good at pvp ,my priest's team have been rated 21-2200+ troughout season 1-4 and i had gladiator resto druid s3 and s4 (doesnt say much i guess cause druids were retarded easy  but still) I dont playmuch anymore so i didnt play season5, but anyway just to say the people i arena'd  with in BC  were all PVPers only, they never did PvE cept kara when the badge stuff came out. They played even more than i did at the time and only bg and arena all day, and when they were really bored they'd raid ogrimmar.

When wrath came out they made a guild and almost beat my guild to sarth+3 for server first. Just to say that good pvpers are always good at pve also, the opposite isnt true tho cause it really doesnt take much to be a good raider...even sunwell was easy stuff, coordination for the last 2 fights were the only slighty hard part of it.

so anyway PvPers ( reals ones) are always good at pve even tho most of them hate it, and they arent all casual.

that is all ;p

• XnxaxXnxax Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by altairzq

That's not true, for some years now  PVP is very important in WOW, many people only PVP. And it's more present than in other games that claim to be PVP centered.

Right, WoW pvp focused.....a small community of hardcore pvpers in a game does not make the game pvp based. WoW IS PVE CENTERED. The game has always been about raids and equipment and that is definitly not going to change. Plus the classes are ridiculously unbalanced (because the classes were created to work together in a party, duh)  and the pvp rewards are not that great. The gear you get from raids and instances is far better than the pvp gear they have.

Of course i also beleive WoW is the spawn of satan, EEEEVIL!

Tried: EvE, DnD Online, LotRO, WAR, AoC,
    Played: UO, SWG(pre-cu), GuildWars, FFXI, WoW
    Liked: UO, SWG, GuildWars
    Disliked: WoW, FFXI

• icytear83icytear83 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

WotLK changed it all for PvP.
    - Wintergrasp is massively played and even TOO massively if 150/150 battle each other because of the lag. Yesterday we had 4 Alliance raids at 10.30 PM. That's 160 people just on one side ....
    Battlegrounds are but 5 but they each have their unique playing style (from Sieges to control points).
    - Daily Open world PvP quests - even on PVE servers - are a blast these days in WotLK. They are PVE themed but permit for those that WANT it to have a go at PvP whenever they want to (PVP is flagged whenever accepting the PVE based quest).
    - Arena's now are far more balanced again in 3vs3 and 5vs5 now that resilience gear is present and after patches. They did change the ridiculous requirements in the new patch 3.1, so we will see a lot more (casual) arena fights. In 5vs5 ALL 10 classes are represented in the top ... 5 of the world. So EACH class can climb to the world top. Enough balance for everyone IF you can play that is.
    - Free open world City Raids. I did 7 of them in 4 months time. Too few I know, but they are fun when meeting the other side :). Blizzard should encourage them more with more achievements/status symbols.
    ------> WHICH game offers more CHOICES of PVP??? ------> Not one.
    But the BEST part of Wow PvP is its fluid responsive controlled type of combat (if WG has less than 100/100 players in its courtyard :))). And having Siege vehicules and collapsable walls, towers and fortresses... dust, smoke and riding artillery just add to the cake....
    The ONLY PvP worth playing is the PvP which gives you fluid responsive controls and a fast pace of combat action.
    YOU battle the enemy NOT the hampered clunky unresponsive controls like in those War and AoC engines.
    It is a MUST to PvP.
    As with patch 3.1 .... the gear is now on par with Ulduar drops..----> result: 75 BG's open at the same time in Blackout/EU.
    ---

The OP is a troll because Lake Wintergrasp doesn't crash the servers (as in WAR). It only happened ONE day because of the patch launch of 3.08. One day at patch launch and ... NEVER again. So the guy is trolling because he can feel the pain now with the new PvP season of WotLK patch 3.1

zondorf your seriously deluded...how many times have u participate in wg? it was full of terrible lag and yes the server did crash a few times after patch 3.0.8. Have you ever played a full server before? it was a terrible attempt to justify one of the biggest fails in the game. I can assure you, as a pvper i participate numerous wgs more so to buy some of my deadly stuff in s5 and it was a real pain, people stopping halfway due to the massive amount of server lag which everyone was complaining in the general channel. You called 150 people lagging at one time a " fun" zone to pvp with?

one day at patch launch? good thing your trying to make false assumptions when you dunno anything about me. On one of my char, i have over 40 wg wins,  same goes for my druid, so thats 80 in total NOT taking into account losses in wg.  Screenshots are available to proof if needed

BGs are the same thing: its mostly full on fail with almost the same thing: afkers, people not understanding how to play, people who do not care about winning, and the worst thing is you get a 15 min penalty for having to put up this torture. Still doesn't change the fact that av is broken, and utterly broken with one side having 40 ppl while the other side having 9 ppl and if your on the losing side, i doubt you will find bgs "fun" if losing to you is fun.

Arenas as i said, is completely broken with the most bs hidden rating crap. And it is clear that whoever is making those changes, they do not care about the players feelings. The hidden rating was dumped right in the middle of the season without even getting enough players feedback. more resilience = more casual  arena fight. Are you on drugs? it merely stretchs matchs that take 40 mins to play in 3s to prob a even longer extent just for a shitty few rating gains with a terrible rating system? pvp in 5s is almost dead. Did  I even had a gladiator and a duelist asking to do 5s with me cos they were like bored and didn't mind wanting to give a go. Yet despite asking in trade and lfg for nearly an hr, no one wants to do 5s. Most people on the wow pvp forums have stated they are quitting when season 6 comes out. And making a judgement on season 6 when it only JUST CAME OUT?

city raids is ok but its almost like a pve encounter. The moment you died, your corpse gets camped , people quit and basically, the whole thing is over. Almost no one bothers to pk the horde, just  sneak in and kill boss and pray horde doesnt come in and interrupt you trying to kill the boss which is just almost like doing a raid with a little twist.  just reflect the community that plays the game that are actually more interested in pve then pvp. Its hardly what u will consider pvp when people are more interested in sneaking to kill the city bosses rather then pvping to "win" the city against the horde.

In short, wg and arenas is fail and the people developing it (blizz) have shown that they do not care abt people's opinion. Stay away pvpers. Even if you are one those fanbois that attempt to justify a game full on fail for pvp, making false assumptions not going to help your cause.

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414

WG a fail????   LOOOOOOOL.  Thank you for that utter nonsense.  First time I read WG was a failure.

Originally posted by Ahiles

WG a fail????   LOOOOOOOL.  Thank you for that utter nonsense.  First time I read WG was a failure.

oh yea it isn't fail when 150 people lags at one point with server crashing a few times ( world server down) and having the whole wg reset back to 30 mins. :rolleye: so it must be a success to participate in a world pvp full of lags and bugs lollol

thats why we must let people know that wow pvp is bad. I joined because it was popular and it gives me the impression its a good pvp game with the word warcraft. The word war can be misleading. After 2 seasons, i realise that blizz pvp was extremely bad with whoever was developing pvp in wow  just doing a typical shove in your throat and accept it type of changes and quit.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

But how is questing any different? At least in WoW, questing is basically running the same 3-4 quests with a different cover story over and over again. At least with PvP, it is a bit dynamic as it is an actual player on the other end and not a scripted mob.

Different locations and different characters. Yes, after a while you tend to notice the usual collect these or kill these but at least I'm not just spawning and returning to the same spot over and over again.In a quest I get to go someplace I haven't been before and meet different NPCs in different towns with different goals. And even the PVPs tend to be predictable. It's usually just a case of making sure you're not alone so that you won't get ganked. Right now at level 39, PVP is nothing more than a capture the flag game and those have never held my interest for very long. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Abrahmm

That's why Blizzard implemented daily open world PvP quests with a ... PVE theme in WotLK: pure F U N. 

A blast since then - certainly on PVE servers. Everyone accepting the quest is a PvP target. No need to create artifically RvR zones anymore. Concentrated, giving experience, giving loot and gold, mostly giving reputation and gaining PvP honor ( at least 40 per pvp victim).

What more do you want? :)))

A pity it is only in Northrend level 68-80.

Yes that is a pity because that sounds more fun that what I'm experiencing at level 39. Once I get up to level 70 I'll give those a whirl.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by icytear83

thats why we must let people know that wow pvp is bad. I joined because it was popular and it gives me the impression its a good pvp game with the word warcraft. The word war can be misleading. After 2 seasons, i realise that blizz pvp was extremely bad with whoever was developing pvp in wow  just doing a typical shove in your throat and accept it type of changes and quit.

WoW always reminded me more of Diablo than any Warcraft game.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• masseman3masseman3 Member Posts: 8

Yeah, PvP in Warcraft is a joke. It was fun at level 60, bearable at level 70 and utter crap at level 80.

The problem is that skill has been totally replaced by gear. A player in greens playing perfectly still has no chance against a well-geared faceroller.

[Mod Edit]

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

WoWs PvP is okish under the design criteria that Blizzard has put up - interesting PvE, small scale PvP, multiple possible roles for each class and leveling solo should be fun. However, these four design criteria are in conflict with each other and it shines through on multiple levels. I honestly believe that Blizzard should go with either PvE or PvP as the foundation of the game instead of trying to do everything at once and they should also dare to state that a class has one role that is considered main (and hence competetive in PvE and PvP). Right now there are many occasions when the attempt to balance everything (which is completely doomed to fail) results in a pretty bland experience regardless if we are talking PvE/PvP/raiding or questing.

They should go with one story and stick to it instead.

To the poster above: If gear does not matter PvP is the same as any FPS out there. That segment has many interesting products but in a MMO with character progression as a foundation gear will always make a difference,

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i do not want to say what in this game is nowadays bad but i only wanna say opinion about pve vs pvp in this game

and as i see it its like horde vs alliance so who even wanna say its only pve based? dumb eh

both sides fighting against ai monsters while they should be at war against each others is what i dont want from this game.

would be still playing if the whole concept of this game would be horde vs alliance meaning end game pvp and pve is for just like getting some items for competiting against your enemy depending on either you play horde nor alliance side. 

• ulberonulberon Member Posts: 198

If you like to pvp, I really don't understand why you haven't moved to warhammer online.  I can't grasp why WoW has any pvp servers left at all....

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by ulberon

If you like to pvp, I really don't understand why you haven't moved to warhammer online.  I can't grasp why WoW has any pvp servers left at all....

Have you followed WAR for the last few months? Clearly that game is lacking something as well. Many, many people would be playing Daoc over WAR if Daoc still had the population/future support.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by ulberon

I know, right?

Check out this cool pvp combat action from Warhammer.