Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

x64 speed a bit deseptive

reath37reath37 Member Posts: 4

sence i went with 64bit software i have notist that my system is kind of slow just the internal stuff like bringing  up files everything elts runs very fast  internet, games, (all games) swiching between widows. but the overall speed has definitly slowed down

why would this be im running 8gigs mem, 64bit soft and a quad core prosesor , so why am i slow? any one

Soprano RS1, 4x 120mm case fans.
MSI 7350 p6n SLI nvidia 650i.
kingsfield Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz.
BLUE ORB cpu cooler.
RAIDMAX 630W modular psu.
8GB OCZ gold 800mhz 4x2GB.
Twin 16DVD+RW.
Twin 500GB seagate sata HD.
EVGA GTX260 65mn AV model. overclocked @ 666-1433-1240.
Windows Vista ultimate eternity 2009 sp1 X64.
emprex 26" tft @ 1920X1200

Comments

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

100% chance you're either imagining it or the cause of the slowdown has nothing to do with the fact that your operating system is 64 bit.

-

• Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181

Did you change from XP to Vista? Until you turn them all off vista has loads of extra processes running be default to "speed up your pachine" which actually do the opposite.

If not, then there's no reason that x64 should be slower, since you have access to all that extra memory.

• reath37reath37 Member Posts: 4

not so sure about the imagenation thing but my system is definitly  slower with 64b  than 32b i also added 4gb of mem

dont know what it is ive run ccleaner and nothing is amiss so oh well thanks for the answers .  and we could use some more solders in quakewars  all you mmorpg's should come over and play some fps's once in a wile lol latter thanks for the help

Soprano RS1, 4x 120mm case fans.
    MSI 7350 p6n SLI nvidia 650i.
    kingsfield Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz.
    BLUE ORB cpu cooler.
    RAIDMAX 630W modular psu.
    8GB OCZ gold 800mhz 4x2GB.
    Twin 16DVD+RW.
    Twin 500GB seagate sata HD.
    EVGA GTX260 65mn AV model. overclocked @ 666-1433-1240.
    Windows Vista ultimate eternity 2009 sp1 X64.
    emprex 26" tft @ 1920X1200

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Perdition_uk

Did you change from XP to Vista? Until you turn them all off vista has loads of extra processes running be default to "speed up your pachine" which actually do the opposite.
    If not, then there's no reason that x64 should be slower, since you have access to all that extra memory.

If it's switching from 32 bit to 64 bit while staying in the same OS - that's one thing. But if you migrated from 32bit Windows XP to 64bit Windows Vista you are comparing apples and oranges. Same goes with the different versions of Vista (to an extent) as well. Also, if upgrading from XP to Vista I always recommend a fresh install of Vista. It tends to be less trouble in the long run with stability.

In reality, there is not much a difference for most people because if you run a 32bit program on a 64bit OS and processor - it will start up a nano second or two slower, but the speed is almost the same. The speed comes into play when you run a 64bit program on a 64bit OS and processor. You will notice that it is much faster than the 32bit version if the program deals heavily in memory usage and calculations of large ammounts of data.

Here are some tips that may help you out. FIRST: Be sure that all your device drivers are up to date. I know people say this all the time, but it is very important. Mainly, because the earlier version of Vista drivers were buggy, unstable and slow.

There are a large ammount of services that are running in a default installation of Vista. Vista Ultimate was bundled with more stuff and all of it is turned on by default as well. Go to the administrative tools and click on services. Before changing anything read this: www.blackviper.com/WinVista/service411.htm

After reading through the intro, sort by the startup column and scroll to the services that are marked automatic. Look up each of these in the guide (yes, it will take some time for people who don't know what they are). If the guide recommends you disable the service, right click on the service and choose properties. Change the startup type to disabled. Click the Stop button and then click OK. Rinse and repeat for each of the services that should be disabled.

The MOST performance draining services are Windows Search, Superfetch and ReadBoost. Yes, programs may load much quicker. However, games will run much slower due to the services constantly accessing your hard drive and taking away disk access time from your game (i.e. loading textures and object files).

Other things you can do:

• Disable UAM (personal preference - it does slow down the feel every time it needs to bring up a prompt)
    • Disable System Protection - it doesn't work for most power users anyway and what it really does it keeps an index catalog and copy of every .DLL and executable installed on the machine. Just like Windows Search in the services it is constantly scanning your hard drive
    • Create a fixed size (min and max are both the same) virtual memory file. Then using a 3rd party defragmentation program (I recommend PerfectDisk 64bit edition) - do an offline defrag to make sure that the entire virtual memory file is defragmented. After you do this, you should never have to worry about your virtual memory file becoming fragmented again.
    • Disable any startup programs you may have installed that you do not use

• Anvil_TheoryAnvil_Theory Member Posts: 106

Whats x64 ...?

Are you sure you installed Vista in 64bit ..?  Because you have both (32bit & 64bit) and must choose what version to install.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

x64 is just code for 64 bit. x86 means 32 bit.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by Kaelaan21

If it's switching from 32 bit to 64 bit while staying in the same OS - that's one thing. But if you migrated from 32bit Windows XP to 64bit Windows Vista you are comparing apples and oranges. Same goes with the different versions of Vista (to an extent) as well. Also, if upgrading from XP to Vista I always recommend a fresh install of Vista. It tends to be less trouble in the long run with stability.

In reality, there is not much a difference for most people because if you run a 32bit program on a 64bit OS and processor - it will start up a nano second or two slower, but the speed is almost the same. The speed comes into play when you run a 64bit program on a 64bit OS and processor. You will notice that it is much faster than the 32bit version if the program deals heavily in memory usage and calculations of large ammounts of data.

Here are some tips that may help you out. FIRST: Be sure that all your device drivers are up to date. I know people say this all the time, but it is very important. Mainly, because the earlier version of Vista drivers were buggy, unstable and slow.

There are a large ammount of services that are running in a default installation of Vista. Vista Ultimate was bundled with more stuff and all of it is turned on by default as well. Go to the administrative tools and click on services. Before changing anything read this: www.blackviper.com/WinVista/service411.htm

After reading through the intro, sort by the startup column and scroll to the services that are marked automatic. Look up each of these in the guide (yes, it will take some time for people who don't know what they are). If the guide recommends you disable the service, right click on the service and choose properties. Change the startup type to disabled. Click the Stop button and then click OK. Rinse and repeat for each of the services that should be disabled.

The MOST performance draining services are Windows Search, Superfetch and ReadBoost. Yes, programs may load much quicker. However, games will run much slower due to the services constantly accessing your hard drive and taking away disk access time from your game (i.e. loading textures and object files).

Other things you can do:

• Disable UAM (personal preference - it does slow down the feel every time it needs to bring up a prompt)
    • Disable System Protection - it doesn't work for most power users anyway and what it really does it keeps an index catalog and copy of every .DLL and executable installed on the machine. Just like Windows Search in the services it is constantly scanning your hard drive
    • Create a fixed size (min and max are both the same) virtual memory file. Then using a 3rd party defragmentation program (I recommend PerfectDisk 64bit edition) - do an offline defrag to make sure that the entire virtual memory file is defragmented. After you do this, you should never have to worry about your virtual memory file becoming fragmented again.

Good stuff except for one thing.  If he's using 8 gigs of ram with Vista the odds of him ever actually using virtual memory is very slim.  Vista puts all that functionality into ram when it available as it's much faster

member of imminst.org

• PinkerlPinkerl Member Posts: 123

since you said you have 8gig.. it shouldnt be a problem. im guessing you have low watt psu. not enough watt can slow down your computer.

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by n25philly

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

Other things you can do:

Good stuff except for one thing.  If he's using 8 gigs of ram with Vista the odds of him ever actually using virtual memory is very slim.  Vista puts all that functionality into ram when it available as it's much faster

Agree...Good advice there!

Also...You realy need to learn to bump that CPU up a bit... Maybe 3.2- 3.4 ghz .That will make a big diffrence.