Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you fight or support the Superhero Registration Act?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Would you fight or support the Superhero Registration Act?

This is about a Superhero Event in the Marvel Universe. The US made a law, the so called "Superhero Registration Act", which forced all Superheros to work for the government agency "SHIELD", and thus give up their secret identity, practically becoming known to the public.

The result was an event called "Civil War" of two Superhero factions, the supporters of the law led by "Ironman" Tony Stark and opposed by an underground movement, led by "Captain America" Steve Rogers, leading to some tragic deaths.

What would you do, if you were a Superhero? Support the law, as it was given by a legal authority, or fight against it, not thinking it is the right thing? (With the government actively trying to capture those who did not agree, there isnt really a neutral option, doing nothing would then BE against the law, and they'd come after you anyway. As they did for Luke Cage, for instance.)

edit: sorry for typos ^^  (note to self: don't type and eat at the same time...)

Explain yourself, if you like.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• I'd fight it. They can learn my secret identity when they take the mask off my cold, dead body.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

Id join. only if the gov killed all my family and friends so i didnt have to worry about them with my identity known ;)

• dlooneydlooney Member Posts: 306

I would definitley fight against it. Just because a super hero is different then a regular person should not mean that they get less rights when they are both citizens. Main reason i would fight is because its easier to just run away from your troubles, but the  only way anything can get done is if someone stands up and fights the oppression.

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Fight against it and no longer assist those who support it.

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013

Wouldn't affect me.  I'd be a super villain, thus above the law and not all whiny and emotionally conflicted like the lame superheroes. 

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394

Support it.  Untrained individuals with super powers stand a good chance of eventually harming (even unintentionally) innocent people.  When this occurs, they must be held accountable for their actions.  If found innocent, fine.  If found guilty, fine.  But we need to know who they are in order to hold them accountable.  No person should be outside of the law.  I would hope that the identities of these individuals would be held secret, so as not to affect their families and friends -- using the same guidelines for secrecy already in place for witness protection members.

- LC

• SargothSargoth Member Posts: 558

Fight against it.  Government is not our nanny.  Government is the problem, not the solution.  Self respect, education and self-reliance are the key to able body citizens super hero or not. 

When a piscating wizard floods every thread I can understand why people leave.

Originally posted by LuckyCurse

Support it.  Untrained individuals with super powers stand a good chance of eventually harming (even unintentionally) innocent people.  When this occurs, they must be held accountable for their actions.  If found innocent, fine.  If found guilty, fine.  But we need to know who they are in order to hold them accountable.  No person should be outside of the law.  I would hope that the identities of these individuals would be held secret, so as not to affect their families and friends -- using the same guidelines for secrecy already in place for witness protection members.
    - LC

He said you have to give up your identity. 

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Oppose it, the law is essentially slavery, you shouldn't have to work for the government if you don't want to and the government has no right to enforce it.  If they try then they are as bad as any villain around.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

Originally posted by Sargoth

- LC

That was simply a 'hope' that the government would keep it from the public.  I would still support it.  Accountability and transparency are key points in trusting the social contract of our society.  Wearing a mask is no excuse for lawlessness -- no matter the intentions.

- LC

Originally posted by CactusmanX

Oppose it, the law is essentially slavery, you shouldn't have to work for the government if you don't want to and the government has no right to enforce it.  If they try then they are as bad as any villain around.

Ah ha, there you have it.  This man wins.  I wish I had thought of that argument. 

- LC

That was simply a 'hope' that the government would keep it from the public.  I would still support it.  Accountability and transparency are key points in trusting the social contract of our society.  Wearing a mask is no excuse for lawlessness -- no matter the intentions.

- LC

So a hope that the government keeps secret its protectors, but transparency is key to the social contract?

- LC

- LC

So a hope that the government keeps secret its protectors, but transparency is key to the social contract?

Knowing where to go for accountability is the key.  A civilian wouldn't need that information, but government agencies certainly would.  If a superhero kills a person, it should be up to the courts to decide whether it was a just or unjust action.  The courts should be able to request enough information to find the superhero involved.

I'm with Ironman.  I don't know what your problem is with Robert Downey Jr. 

- LC

- LC

- LC

Knowing where to go for accountability is the key.  A civilian wouldn't need that information, but government agencies certainly would.  If a superhero kills a person, it should be up to the courts to decide whether it was a just or unjust action.  The courts should be able to request enough information to find the superhero involved.

- LC

You still keeping information away from the private citizen.  The government can wear a mask and do what they want but the citizen cannot.  It seems to be the argument that the government does it better so they can do it different. 

I don't understand your last statement.  Could you please elaborate? 

- LC

- LC

- LC

You still keeping information away from the private citizen.  The government can wear a mask and do what they want but the citizen cannot.  It seems to be the argument that the government does it better so they can do it different. 

You are absolutely right.    

As to the last statement, it was a joke.  Iron Man supported the act, Robert Downey Jr. played Iron Man in the movie, I said I supported Iron Man..... :)

- LC

- LC

- LC

- LC

As to the last statement, it was a joke.  Iron Man supported the act, Robert Downey Jr. played Iron Man in the movie, I said I supported Iron Man..... :)

- LC

So what, you think the government does it better then? 

They are just people like you and me and history has shown that once in a position of power people seem to just go down hill from there. 

Your gonna trust an agency that already is lying to you and hiding things and expect them to have accountability when something goes wrong? 

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Well I don't know much about the Marvel comics(DC FTW) but if the x-mens were on track and their were that many mutants then I don't see it being good. Yes at first its just the heroes but how long would it be before anyone who isn't normal has to do it? If all mutants have to anyways I didn't knwo so just ignore that.

Anyways I like how they did it in watchmen. They only had to reveal their identity to one person and it was kept secret unless they made it known.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• SanitycoreSanitycore Member Posts: 8

Fight.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

Joining which side would get me more pussy?

member of imminst.org

- LC

- LC

- LC

- LC

So what, you think the government does it better then? 

They are just people like you and me and history has shown that once in a position of power people seem to just go down hill from there. 

Your gonna trust an agency that already is lying to you and hiding things and expect them to have accountability when something goes wrong? 

I agreed with you.  

- LC

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

Guns Can Be Dangerous

Register the Gun(s) by type and the Owner.

Superheroes Can Be Dangerous

Register the superhero and classify "its" abilities.

As Bush and his supporters have said, this is a "different" time.  This requires not a suspension of civil rights and liberties, but at least greater and enhanced surveillance techniques and methods of individuals and access to individual records (medical, financial, internet, phone, library, et al).

Frankly, everyone should be required to be

1. Fingerprinted and
    2. Photographed during certain ages (7, 13, 18, 21 (obtain new "alcohol license"), 25, etc.)

It would promote safety such as kidnapped children so the authorities could release the photo, and in other areas of law where the individuals would already be in the database and easier to capture after committing a crime.

Simply put, everyone should be registered and we would ALL be safer because of it.

EDIT

What we really need to do is implement and enforce the REAL ID ACT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Establishing new national standards for state-issued driver licenses and non-driver identification cards.  What we really need a FEDERAL ID for everyone.  For our safety.

This is a new and different world.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

How could I be an advocate of smaller government and support something like that?  If it passes, leaving the country remains a definite option.  And if you support this act, you my friend, are worse than Hitler.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by declaredemer

Fingerprinted and
    Photographed during certain ages (7, 13, 18, 21 (obtain new "alcohol license"), 25, etc.)

Simply put, everyone should be registered and we would ALL be safer because of it.

Although I disagreed with some (ok, I will be honest, most) of your posts, this idea is flat out loony. No one should be required to be fingerprinted unless they are a suspect in a crime or serving in a military or police position. What other personal identifying information do you think the government should be privy to? DNA?

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Dekron

Originally posted by declaredemer

Fingerprinted and
    Photographed during certain ages (7, 13, 18, 21 (obtain new "alcohol license"), 25, etc.)

Although I disagreed with some (ok, I will be honest, most) of your posts, this idea is flat out loony. No one should be required to be fingerprinted unless they are a suspect in a crime or serving in a military or police position. What other personal identifying information do you think the government should be privy to? DNA?

In an information age world, information is the real power.

I would think enough information to identify those individuals likely to pose a threat to the United States. 

Remember: this is a different world in which we need to ensure that information-sharing, access, collection, and so forth is done efficiently to protect our freedoms.

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

I am going to take the switzerland approach to this problem and back into a corner and zap both sides if they decide to get to close to me.