It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Hi there good folk,
Played 45+ MMORPG so far. Does not ever mean I am right; I may have a bit of context .
In Atlantica, the start of the game nearly made me uninstall 3x in first 5 days. Took me nearly a week to get to lvl 5. I was unimpressed. Weak front end, in my view.
Then I got it.
Oh boy, but all the systems in this game. At first I only noticed (do not even register it anymore and it is in fact quite handy) a scrolling advert-text (personal, not game-initiated). Did not like it.
Then I suddenly noticed various menus. Could not make too much of many of them but lots of info and things to do apparently. I got into it enough to get through the newbie area, liked the boss fights. Went to Beijing, got interested in all the town things you can do. Did the quests there then went over the Great Wall of China to Shanghai and well to make a long story short…I am level 97 and never had more fun in the game than right now.
I have never seen a better tested more extensive (at launch) game so far. EQ2 and CoX and such are about as diverse but…count the updates. They have been at it for 4 years. This game is about half a year old.
New patch today, 622MB.
Oh and if they screw up with their opening estimate, at least they got a sense of humor about it: ‘Maintenance on April. 21 [Extended Extension Extended]’.
Just fyi (so you know I am not just theorizing) I am at 77% wins in the Free League. I was never, ever, and still am not a PvP oriented person but in this game you have no risk/losses from duelling in the (have to apply; it’s 100% consensual) server-inititiated (semi)random-enemy (or challenges for that matter) FL battles. They are a fun diversion and oh boy, do they pay off in both rewards and learning.
Mind you I am not a phat loot kinda guy but I cannot deny the usefulness of a full set of good armor, rings, weapons, and most of all skills and such (magic skills essential, also to melee toons). I care not for xp gold or levels but I like progress…and would rather stay alive.
So, here is a list, hopefully of some interest for peeps who want to know just what you find in the game. My problem is I can list what I can think of (it will be far from complete) but I cannot explain them all.
There are just too many; post is long enough as it is.
So ask for specific info - that is why I number them. Hopefully someone will answer your query .
Let me explain one essential thing at some length.
The game has a pretty bad ‘front end’ because you cannot customize much in your look, nor do the surroundings appear to be very captivating.
In a specific game I will not name I could spend hours on making a face/body and had virtually no choice in what my character could actually do (class, skills, etc).
Lack of character choices: I am in fact in a major beta right now where this is also true.
I always say the last thing I want to play is a human (try that every day in RL) and the last place I want to play is Earth (since I have been there).
Now for the good part.
This game gives a very high diversity/complexity in your actual abilities. Different ‘main’ character types (quite a few and growing). Different skills (Staff: Nuke and/or Heal and more). Then you have 8 mercenaries when you’ve ‘grown up’. Team of 9. Simple basic abilities for each of them…but do the math on 9x small skillset vs 1x more extensive. Keep in mind you get new merctypes you can replace for others.
Then: a world is a living thing; you have to get into it. This is most certainly true of Atlantica. Once you run from Paris to London and see things like the Channel Tunnel you will know what I mean.
I have two favorite games MMORPG for combat: CoX; this is not a clickfest. Even the simplest combat is partially unpredictable (random enemy reactions etc.).
Atlantica Online: turn-based and you have to play this to know how it works I think. Even to a HOMM player I cannot quite explain. But it is free to play (never spent more money on a game yet, actually, but you do not need to spend a dime!).
I just like to encourage good dev teams - and I like my Snow Tiger .
So - a short list of things Atlantica has. What I can tell you is that virtually nothing is quite the same as in other MMORPG.
1) All kinds of mythologies and themes combined; several thousand BC to around 1850 or so AD.
2) One major interconnected solo quest arc all through the game, with side quests.
3) Walk from Vancouver through Europe to Tokyo. Or TP of course .
4) Quite a few different and unique (Hell Horse, Mercury rider) mounts; no quests for them (buy-only atm; in-game or otherwise).
5) Max party size = 3, and you only have to party for Shadow Dungeons (special mercenary questlines mostly; like 22 quests for your Exorcist, archangel Michael).
6) Tutorial quests persistent throughout game I got one at 90+ taught me something very useful.
7) Guild and Nation (combined guilds) systems.
8) Guild and Nation Dungeons.
9) Individual Dungeons (level 90+ is the first one; there are 4) where you have to turn OFF 3 of your mercs.
10) Fame Points and Battle Points linked to FL system.
11) Pointry in Rome/Bazaar will let you turn in riding points, collection points, batttle points, and many more.
12) Referral points.
13) Mentor points (reward not implemented yet).
14) Give-random-gift-to-beginner system (get xp I think).
15) Stamina system (each combat costs 1 Stam but you get a lot back and can get it as reward etc.). You can in fact reduce cost to 0.5 or even 0.33 Stam if you party.
16) Mail system with max of 1 attachment/mail.
17) Sometimes the Devs give out presents.
18) License system: Patrol License, Health Check Lic, Teleport, Auto-Battle - too many to mention.
19) Travel system between cities (must have been to once to use).
20) Willpower system - you can use Will for many things and it slowly regenerates.
21) Food & Drink will give back health/mana instantly. 10 Will/use though.
22) Crafting system where you do not have any workstations but get ingredients and work off your ‘workload’ by fighting or auto-crafting or reading books (requires Will).
23) Info Sharing system: share Crafting info (when you get a level, need to get a teacher to actually get it) and Monster Info.
24) Monster Info Sharing: Basic info (gives atk/def bonus 10%), Location info (gives auto-move-to ability) and Item info (increase drop amount but not drop %)
25) Auto-Move: click quest, click auto-move: game walks you to detination.
26) Quest Arrow: points to where you want to go. You don’t want to auto-move in busy dungeons 8-).
27) City menu allowing you to visit many things without running around. Rome is the exception.
28) Rome: capital of the world, talk to Caesar to start a nation. Divided into 5 districts. Can TP there after level 20.
29) Challenge System (can set up PvP challenge; private or public).
30) Betting system in Rome (talk to Maximus; put money on say Joan of Arc or Michelangelo - observe the fights to see them go at it).
31) Rent-a-merc system in Rome.
32) Free League semi-random (Divisions) opponent system with excellent rewards and 2 major setups: manual and control-main-only.
33) Auto-Battle system: if you have the license and have fought manual combats, can let the game handle some of your more simple fights for a bit. Ideal if you are in group and have to go AFK - your team keeps fighting. With luck, your fellows heal you .
34) Enchant: combine 2x +3 weapon to get a +4 etc. Max level = +10 so need 1024 +0 items for that unless you get a lucky break (rare).
35) Durability system.
36) Enhance system: go to Vulcanus in Rome to ask him to Enhance your item to the next level. This is kind of 50/50 I think (not sure on exact %’s).
37) Redo charlook system (in Rome).
38) Redo charclass system - have to use Secret Vial of Amnesia.
39) Prestige Class system - only 1 so far: a lvl 100 can start lvl 1 Maniac (PowerSaw; don’t even ask).
40) Magic Skills system - 1 skill point/level. Max skill level = 60. Game goes to lvl 120 (so far; used to be 100).
That was 40 without thinking. Let me see if I can do that again. But not in this post! Maybe later I will add some. Depends on reactions 8-)
Enough for now. Holler to Muzzlepuzzle on the Argos Server (Harmony Nation) if you get there and want a Mentor or just info.
PS Cut post in 2; 60 more items in my Reply to this post.
* I say, there is no
* darkness but ignorance.
* Twelfth-night; or, What You Will