Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia

DoctaDecayDoctaDecay Member Posts: 18

Is it true that NVIDIA releases a new graphics card and/or update every month nowadays?

I'm just curious, thanks.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by DoctaDecay

Is it true that NVIDIA releases a new graphics card and/or update every month nowadays?

I don't think so, also depends on what you call a new graphics card. I would define a new graphics card as a GPU with a new chip on it. Companys often release a "new" card but just crank up the clock speed on the old one or put more/diffrent DDR on it and increase the transistor count.

For instance concerning ATI (real men use AMD hardware, FACT!).

HD 4650 and HD 4670 =    RV730 GPU

HD 4850 and HD 4870 =     RV770

HD 4890                        =       RV790

Some cards have different names but have the same GPU, even the the new RV790 is very similar to the RV770 just enlarged. Now I'm no longer an Nvidia user but from what I can gather their newest card since the 8800 is really the 260, Nvidia are good with driver udpdates and there probably are some updates every month. But if there were a new card every month they'd go bust. Maybe they have the manufacter's releasing new variants on the cards they make every month, but certainly not a new card.

My advice is go ATI and support AMD in the crusade against the infitel!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DoctaDecayDoctaDecay Member Posts: 18

Alright... Thanks for the info

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

They do update drivers monthly or pretty close to it. As for new cards, every company will constantly be offering new products.

Personally I am very satisfied with my simple 9600gt. It don't out cost my car, and you might be supprised how effective the card is especially when you got 2 in SLI

• xingxiuxingxiu Member Posts: 6

Thanks very much, I have learn so much, I'm a newbie^

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

I've got a an 8800gts, plays all the latest games just fine at or near maxed out settings. I also move between computers and my older one has an old 6800, it's not great, but it can still play most current games, just with the settings turned down. I have no complaints about either card.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by DoctaDecay

I don't think so, also depends on what you call a new graphics card. I would define a new graphics card as a GPU with a new chip on it. Companys often release a "new" card but just crank up the clock speed on the old one or put more/diffrent DDR on it and increase the transistor count.

For instance concerning ATI (real men use AMD hardware, FACT!).

HD 4650 and HD 4670 =    RV730 GPU

HD 4850 and HD 4870 =     RV770

HD 4890                        =       RV790

Some cards have different names but have the same GPU, even the the new RV790 is very similar to the RV770 just enlarged. Now I'm no longer an Nvidia user but from what I can gather their newest card since the 8800 is really the 260, Nvidia are good with driver udpdates and there probably are some updates every month. But if there were a new card every month they'd go bust. Maybe they have the manufacter's releasing new variants on the cards they make every month, but certainly not a new card.

My advice is go ATI and support AMD in the crusade against the infitel!

I agree with you about the Radeon cards woot! I will never buy another Nvidia card again as long as I have a choice.Seems like every Nvidia card I ever purchased had hardware problems,like fans burning out etc.I am a Radeon fan for the time being:)

• Tommy211Tommy211 Member Posts: 41

Nvidia ftw! Nvidia are always releasing new cards and updates frequently but they're quality products!