Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5th trial is a charm!

levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Hey all,

Over the last several years, I downloaded the EVE trial 5 stinking times! I never gave it a fair chance. The first 3 times I spent maybe 2-4 hours on it. I just thought, "Wow, this is kind of confusing" and uninstalled it. The 4th and 5th times I was still sort of lost although I devoted more time to it. I read some guides but I was overwhelmed by the scope of it. I'm an old time gamer. I am fairly intelligent. I just wasn't exercising any patience.

Finally, two months ago, with all of the lame MMOs being released, and having played almost everything else, I tried it one last time. I decided to read up on it as much as possible and to stick with it. Why stick with something you're not having a lot of fun with? Within a few days, I was rewarded with being totally comfortable with the user interface and understanding the basics.

Now, almost 2 months later, I'm REALLY digging EVE. I am posting this as an encouragement to people who have been put off by trials or found it to be complicated. It's not so much that it is hard to understand, it's the sheer vastness of what you can do in the game that can be daunting. You can do anything you want, and that's what gives it longevity. Think of all of the games you've played where you think, "I've run every raid 4,000 times and have run the same boring quests 2,000 times, there's nothing left!" Not in EVE! You can be an industrialist, a miner, a pirate, a spy, a soldier, a PvE carebear, a PvP addict, a trader -- whatever.

I played Freelancer for quite a while years back and that helped a bit. If you're unsure about this game, go in realizing that it is totally different than any other MMO you've played. When you want to quit or don't get it, commit. Why push yourself? Because it's worth the reward.

I've got a tiny corp now with 12 of my real life friends and I have them all playing it now. We're all learning together and it is a lot of fun. I'm so glad I gave EVE another chance, you should too! If you're bored or confused, remember that EVE is what you make of it, the game doesn't make the experience for you.

Lev

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

Comments

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

Gratz on finally getting into the game. :) I too just came back after a looong break from eve and had to pretty much re-learn everything. It does take a little longer to get used to than most games as the learning curve is greater. There are also corps out there to help you gear up and get to know the game so keep looking and you may enjoy yourself even more. Have fun and fly safe.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Thanks Tridian. I also like the fact that there is one large server instead of having everything broken into 20 different ones. If you know that someone plays EVE it means you can hook up with them in-game.

I'm doing alright so far. I have some vets with me who are helping when I need it, but I've found that I can find answers online or just go find out for myself. I know less than 2 months isn't much but I think playing X3 helped a lot too. I know there's always going to be something to learn, but I'm not scared! Haha.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

good for you mate! welcome aboard.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

It took me 4 trys to get into EVE.  I quit WoW about 2 months ago and have tried about 5 or 6 other MMO's before giving EVE another chance (the last chance too).  Now I can happily say that I've found my repalcement for WoW and will continue to play unless one of the upcoming sci fi mmo's (Star Wars, Jumpgate Evolution or Star Trek) is good enough to make me leave EVE.

It is a very difficult game to get into and has a learning curve steeper than any other mmo I've played but if you get some info before you play, play the tuturioal ALL the way through and join a noob friendly corp it makes getting into EVE a lot smoother.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Exactly what happened with me. Except it took me like 10-12 trials.

With EVE, you get from it exactly what you're willing to put in. It's not always "ZOMG  FUN" but when the adrenaline does come, it supersedes that of any other MMO I've played.

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

• funnylumpyfunnylumpy Member Posts: 212

played it for 3 years then quit then restarted again and the new stuff didn't really impress me I gave it the trial period and hooked up with some old friend and the only good thing about eve is it looks nice. Gets boring pretty fast...

• AngelCutumsAngelCutums Member Posts: 7

I don't know, it seems like if you've aleady played any MMORPG for three years, it will get boring. But anyways, 3 years is not a short time, so saying that EVE gets boring "fast" is not really an accurate statment.

My personal experience with EVE: I tried the trial once, I went through the entire beginning tutorial, and then all of rest of the tutorials that they gave. I tried a few of the job-oriented tutorials (INdustry,Military, etc). Somewhere in the middle of my "crash course" tutorial, I found a noob-friendly corp, who always had someone to ask questions. Even so, no one was able to really point me in the right direction. I wanted to do industry, manaufacturing, etc...so I worked my harvesting skills, harvested some material from an asteroid belt , refined some of it, sold it on the market, got enough money to buy a new ship, but then I was at a loss. What do I do next? What else is there in the game?

Conclusions 1. The game needs a bit more direction at least at the beginning, the gamer can only do so much.

2. The game seems fun and promising, but what can a newb like me do at this point? If theres nothing else left, I'm don't really want to buy the game.

-Archana

• reath37reath37 Member Posts: 4

i dont know i played it and it was boring to me too but then again i play fps mostly

Soprano RS1, 4x 120mm case fans.
    MSI 7350 p6n SLI nvidia 650i.
    kingsfield Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz.
    BLUE ORB cpu cooler.
    RAIDMAX 630W modular psu.
    8GB OCZ gold 800mhz 4x2GB.
    Twin 16DVD+RW.
    Twin 500GB seagate sata HD.
    EVGA GTX260 65mn AV model. overclocked @ 666-1433-1240.
    Windows Vista ultimate eternity 2009 sp1 X64.
    emprex 26" tft @ 1920X1200

• herc7827herc7827 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by AngelCutums

I don't know, it seems like if you've aleady played any MMORPG for three years, it will get boring. But anyways, 3 years is not a short time, so saying that EVE gets boring "fast" is not really an accurate statment.
    My personal experience with EVE: I tried the trial once, I went through the entire beginning tutorial, and then all of rest of the tutorials that they gave. I tried a few of the job-oriented tutorials (INdustry,Military, etc). Somewhere in the middle of my "crash course" tutorial, I found a noob-friendly corp, who always had someone to ask questions. Even so, no one was able to really point me in the right direction. I wanted to do industry, manaufacturing, etc...so I worked my harvesting skills, harvested some material from an asteroid belt , refined some of it, sold it on the market, got enough money to buy a new ship, but then I was at a loss. What do I do next? What else is there in the game?
    Conclusions 1. The game needs a bit more direction at least at the beginning, the gamer can only do so much.
    Thats the beauty of EVE, we have relied on the usual MMO to guide us through the game( missions, quests etc) that we forgot how to just explore and do our own thing. We have forgotten how to be the proverbial kid in a candy store, but that is what EVE lets us do.
                     2. The game seems fun and promising, but what can a newb like me do at this point? If theres nothing else left, I'm don't really want to buy the game.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Welcome to EVE :)  You'd be surprised at how many people have your exact same story.  EVE is definitely not a game that many people "get" on their first waltz through the tutorial.  I myself did 3 or 4 trials before I finally picked the game up for good... (and I was even a Beta player  beforehand ;)).  Actually, from the folks that I've talked to in game in various corporations/alliances I've been in, that's true for most people :)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

I have to admit I was the same on this, I tried several tiems to get into the game, I even subscribed for several months and worked my way up

Then I took a lengthy break and came back to the game, since then I have been logging in every night, whether its to mien while watching telly (one  eye on each) or its mission running. Heck I have lost a few ships now and am enjoying my time, I set myself short and mid term goals, I have acheived a few of these (got my Cladari Raven) now i have set myself otehr goals (want a Hurricane Salvager for some crazy reason) and want to eventually have a Carrier and call it  'Wrath of Tavil-Tova' and explore Wormholes

The game is what you make of it, its not instant gratification, but a long dran out sense of satisfaction, the trick is to keep giving your self short and long term goals to acheive 'get this frigate/destroyer/skill/item' etc

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by funnylumpy

played it for 3 years then quit then restarted again and the new stuff didn't really impress me I gave it the trial period and hooked up with some old friend and the only good thing about eve is it looks nice. Gets boring pretty fast...

MMOs are like j'ing off. There's no point in doing it 10 hours a day, for years on end, because you're never going to recapture the feeling of the first few times and it will just start to get boring after a while.

I've never found a game, even  the best ones ever, that could hold my attention for 3 years. So while you mention the new content is boring to you, that is within the context of playing for 3 years. I'd love to hear you name one game you've played for longer that is still a huge thrill...

I'm enjoying EVE. More power to someone if they can play it for years on end, I'm not that type of gamer. I can stick to something 6 months to 1 1/2 years, but beyond that, it is likely I will want a change of scenery or something different.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

And here I thought I was unique.  Same story here.  This is my third time on the trial - I'm about 3 days into it, and I can tell this time I'll be subscribing.

Actually, I think what made it possible for me this time was a change to station docking.  I may be remembering this wrong, but I seem to recall previously when you docked at a station you had to wait like 2 or 3 minutes for the ship to be pulled all the way in.  That along with slow warp gate approaches drove me crazy.  Now docking is instant and it also seems like approaching warp gates is quicker than before.  Maybe I just have more patience now than I used to.

• neKrowneKrow Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by AngelCutums

That is one of the huge problems with EVE. Unfortunately it wont go away. There is so much to do that when you ask "What should I do now" the answer you will get is "well what do you want to do?" because really the sky is the limit. Eve wont try to fit you into a mold its a game that you really just have to find your place in.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244
    Originally posted by CayneJobb

And here I thought I was unique.  Same story here.  This is my third time on the trial - I'm about 3 days into it, and I can tell this time I'll be subscribing.
    Actually, I think what made it possible for me this time was a change to station docking.  I may be remembering this wrong, but I seem to recall previously when you docked at a station you had to wait like 2 or 3 minutes for the ship to be pulled all the way in.  That along with slow warp gate approaches drove me crazy.  Now docking is instant and it also seems like approaching warp gates is quicker than before.  Maybe I just have more patience now than I used to.

that the warp to 0 option, you used to only have the option to warp to 15km and then travel the last bit on sublight engines. they changed that about 2 years ago. i love it too :)