Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playable with friends?

Hi, a friend and I play mmos together, meaning, in WoWs example, we create two characters of the same faction and race, different classes, kill everything together, quest together, explore together, log out at the same time, and it works, its a lot more fun than when I levelled alone in WoW, having company makes it that bit more exciting. Anyway, is this possible in TOR, a game, I  think that we are both very excited about, and I wanted to know if it would be possible to do this, as I have been reading into it and finding many people saying that TOR seems to be more '' single player oriented'' and as bioware themselves say, ''a game mostly completed alone''

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

The best way I can describe it is that you will be able to play alongside your friend.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by jaycee2006

Hi, a friend and I play mmos together, meaning, in WoWs example, we create two characters of the same faction and race, different classes, kill everything together, quest together, explore together, log out at the same time, and it works, its a lot more fun than when I levelled alone in WoW, having company makes it that bit more exciting. Anyway, is this possible in TOR, a game, I  think that we are both very excited about, and I wanted to know if it would be possible to do this, as I have been reading into it and finding many people saying that TOR seems to be more '' single player oriented'' and as bioware themselves say, ''a game mostly completed alone''
    Thanks for any information.

Bioware hasn't disclosed any details about the possibility of this, but I have trouble imagining how they would be able to successfully do it. If each person has their own story, and you can make decisions within that story that effect how the story turns out, than you would have to have a friend that is the exact same race, class(stories are based around your class), and faction, and be on the exact same part of the story, and make the exact same decisions for that to work. Seems it would be very difficult to do successfully, but Bioware may surprise us.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The only way we will truly know the answer to this is when BETA starts. Anything else is just speculation.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jaycee2006jaycee2006 Member Posts: 466
    Originally posted by demalus

The best way I can describe it is that you will be able to play alongside your friend.

You know, that could be fun. We speak via microphone, so whilst doing our own thing, we could discuss whats going on and how other classes play, and meet up in places when we wanted. Like the guy above says, wait for the beta to start I guess, but im sure we will find a way round it, thanks guys.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

you, as the majority of players, fit into Elmqvist law of persistant online worlds:

Elmqvist's Law

"In an online game, players find it rewarding to save the world. They find it more rewarding to save the world together, with lots of other people."

in a world where everyone is on their heroic path to heroism, as moaky07 would have it, and playing with others is frowned upon, i am unsure of how this will work.

many of us have your hopes that we will be able to meaningfully play with our friends, but that has to be seen.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by Troneas

you, as the majority of players, fit into Elmqvist law of persistant online worlds:
    Elmqvist's Law

"In an online game, players find it rewarding to save the world. They find it more rewarding to save the world together, with lots of other people."
    in a world where everyone is on their heroic path to heroism, as moaky07 would have it, and playing with others is frowned upon, i am unsure of how this will work.
    many of us have your hopes that we will be able to meaningfully play with our friends, but that has to be seen.

You obviously love maoky07 long time. You mention him in most of your posts :P

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

You know, that could be fun. We speak via microphone, so whilst doing our own thing, we could discuss whats going on and how other classes play, and meet up in places when we wanted. Like the guy above says, wait for the beta to start I guess, but im sure we will find a way round it, thanks guys.

Sorry - I can't resist:

I'm pretty confident I can simulate the basic experience of TOR for you.  If you both got copies of KOTOR or KOTOR 2 (for the PC), played them, and talked on vent, it would be a similar basic experience.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352

Sorry - I can't resist:

I'm pretty confident I can simulate the basic experience of TOR for you.  If you both got copies of KOTOR or KOTOR 2 (for the PC), played them, and talked on vent, it would be a similar basic experience.

We know you can't resist.  Truthfully I can see no reason for your hate of game yet to be released.

• jaycee2006jaycee2006 Member Posts: 466

Sorry - I can't resist:

Well we arent, and thats flawed seeing as though one is an mmo and one is a single player rpg.... I think I will wait for more information, im sure the question will be answered, and im sure we can make it work.