Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Max settings with this?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Hey all, I'm working on getting a new rig together with the following setup. My goal is to be able to run EVERYTHING maxed in this game, but what are your thoughts? Here's the specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache

Power Supply: 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

Comments

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

Is this a joke? Or are you just trying to flaunt your rig? I think it is pretty clear that your rig would decimate eq2.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Rallycart

Is this a joke? Or are you just trying to flaunt your rig? I think it is pretty clear that your rig would decimate eq2.

No this isn't a joke at all, EQ2 has skanky coding and I've yet to personally talk to someone capable of maxing everything, regardless of their setup.  Before I drop the bucks to put this thing together I wanted to see if people could give me some definitive feedback on whether I'll be able to do it or not.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I run on max with 4 gigs of ram and a gtx 260 core 216. An i7 rig will kick the ass of anything out there. If I can run it without issues, an i7 will beat it into the ground with how well it runs.

Originally posted by Moirae

I run on max with 4 gigs of ram and a gtx 260 core 216. An i7 rig will kick the ass of anything out there. If I can run it without issues, an i7 will beat it into the ground with how well it runs.

Oh sweet.  So are you even ok during raids and so forth?  And you've got all shadows and everything on as well?

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Margulis

Oh sweet.  So are you even ok during raids and so forth?  And you've got all shadows and everything on as well?

The biggest problem on raids is all the graphic clutter.  With everything on it is hard to tell what is what with explosions and spell effects etc.  Even on raid settings it can be messy...  They need an option to turn off spell effects or make them really transparent.

---
    Ethion

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Margulis

I turn down to lowest settings on raiding so I don't really know for my rig. But the i7 is the best technology out there, especially if you pair it with 6 gigs of ram and a gt295. I don't see you having any problems with it.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I bought a Gateway FX6800-0e1 a couple months ago and have since upgraded it so my rig looks a little like this:

Intel i7 920 ;2.7Ghz

6GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Geforce 285 GTX OCX (BFGTECH BRAND) 1GB GDDR3

750w Thermantake PSU.

I can run the game at max. I've never been in a raid setting in EQ2, but I know that no matter what your probably going to have to drop the graphics down from MAX to Balanced at least in a raid. Those never do good with high settings.

Originally posted by sidebuster

I bought a Gateway FX6800-0e1 a couple months ago and have since upgraded it so my rig looks a little like this:
    Intel i7 920 ;2.7Ghz

6GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Geforce 285 GTX OCX (BFGTECH BRAND) 1GB GDDR3

750w Thermantake PSU.

I can run the game at max. I've never been in a raid setting in EQ2, but I know that no matter what your probably going to have to drop the graphics down from MAX to Balanced at least in a raid. Those never do good with high settings.

Oh nice, basically the same setup as mine.  Thanks for the info.

• WuuduuWuuduu Member Posts: 62

just try to use your brain before youll put that stupid question.

Is there something better at market, you can get to play EQ2? No, its not, then, why youre asking?

Just wanna show us, which nice comp youre goin to buy? Yes, it is nice, and?

Or you think, power supply has something to boost your FPS in game?

Originally posted by Wuuduu

just try to use your brain before youll put that stupid question.
    Is there something better at market, you can get to play EQ2? No, its not, then, why youre asking?

Just wanna show us, which nice comp youre goin to buy? Yes, it is nice, and?
    Or you think, power supply has something to boost your FPS in game?

Are you 15 years old or something?  Read my 2nd post on this forum explaining why I asked.

• DosasDosas Member Posts: 104

To the OP:

Video card and memory is almost irrelavant to EQ2, the game can't use more than 3g ram, and whether your card is 295 or a 6800 is irrelevant since almost everything in EQ2 is drawn by the CPU not the GPU.

For this reason, and since your CPU has a lot of cache, the higher the external clock of your cpu will be, the better EQ2 will run. If you run at 3.4ghz approximately, you will be on 30ish-50ish fps on extreme settings.

You will not, i repeat will not, be able to run raids on extreme settings.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your stay in eq2, it's a fantastic game, and don't get too much hung up on the performance issues.

Originally posted by Dosas

To the OP:

Video card and memory is almost irrelavant to EQ2, the game can't use more than 3g ram, and whether your card is 295 or a 6800 is irrelevant since almost everything in EQ2 is drawn by the CPU not the GPU.
    For this reason, and since your CPU has a lot of cache, the higher the external clock of your cpu will be, the better EQ2 will run. If you run at 3.4ghz approximately, you will be on 30ish-50ish fps on extreme settings.
    You will not, i repeat will not, be able to run raids on extreme settings.
    Other than that, I hope you enjoy your stay in eq2, it's a fantastic game, and don't get too much hung up on the performance issues. 

That's good info. I did read they were working on moving the shadows from using the cpu to gpu, so perhaps that will help a lot of people with performance also.