Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Folding @ Home

UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Not sure what the resources available for this is, but.

Just reading the folding thread made me think.

It seems to me that it would be great PR, not only for the site but for companies participating to get as much people as possible to run the folding client.

Perhaps brainstorm a bit on how to not only make more pople join up, but also make it profitable for all parties.

In the end we, the users, supply the computer power but I do not see a problem with both mmorpg.com and it's affiliates to benefit from this, as long as it cranks up our numbers.

Hard part is to make it at least a little bit fair, so anyone can claim eventual prizes.

Monthly and annual prizes perhaps, based on points and participation, along with added random incentives.

Just a suggestion that I think is worth considering.

Suggestions and ideas please?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The idea behind distributed computing is to donate the power of your computer, not to be rewarded for it. You do it because you want to, not because you get something other than a good feeling for doing it. I've been doing it for several years even before a member here started the MMORPG.com group.  As it is anyone can create a group at anytime for any reason. I don't belong to any group.

MMORPG.com didn't start the MMORPG.com group . Xpyrofuryx started it. I think the manner in which it is handled here fits well into the philosophy behind distributed computing. Volunteer your computer's power because you want to not because you could get something out of it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by grunty

The idea behind distributed computing is to donate the power of your computer, not to be rewarded for it. You do it because you want to, not because you get something other than a good feeling for doing it. I've been doing it for several years even before a member here started the MMORPG.com group.  As it is anyone can create a group at anytime for any reason. I don't belong to any group.
    MMORPG.com didn't start the MMORPG.com group . Xpyrofuryx started it. I think the manner in which it is handled here fits well into the philosophy behind distributed computing. Volunteer your computer's power because you want to not because you could get something out of it.

/agreed

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Originally posted by grunty

/agreed

I also agree,  it is about selflessly helping to further human knowledge and advancements.  I currently run rosseta@home and einstein@home. 

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

What you are suggestion has some merit, and I wouldn't have any problems with tangible incentives. But, it would have to be with one condition.

That the incentives(whatever they may be) be sponsered anonymously.

I feel that just being allowed to participate is reward enough, considering that these projects will either directly or indirectly affect everyone. 

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Respit

What you are suggestion has some merit, and I wouldn't have any problems with tangible incentives. But, it would have to be with one condition.
    That the incentives(whatever they may be) be sponsered anonymously.

I feel that just being allowed to participate is reward enough, considering that these projects will either directly or indirectly affect everyone. 

here is the list of current projects avalible using the Boinc Software. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

Personally I help with the Rosseta@home

Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information). Please join us in our efforts! Rosetta@home is not for profit.

The other is Einstien@home which

Einstein@Home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO gravitational wave detector. It also searches for radio pulsars in binary systems, using data from the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 and an International Year of Astronomy 2009 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

and after reading the post and searching what is avalible, I am now doing  Milkyway@home

The goal of Milkyway@Home is to use the BOINC platform to harness volunteered computing resources in creating a highly accurate three dimensional model of the Milky Way galaxy using data gathered by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. This project enables research in both astroinformatics and computer science.

it all starts with downloading the Boinc program from Boinc.org