Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions for the existing Atlantica Online players

sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

I hope these questions will be easy to answer for you and thank you for your time.

1. I know that the game is turn-based and most of the time you will be using 5? mercenaries but is there any active group play with other players too?

2. How many levels are there in the game and how long does it take to reach the cap? Is it a huge timesink?

3. Is the game very gear dependent?

4. What kind of roles do guilds/clans play in this game?

5. How deep is the PvP system? Is there any group PvP? Guild/clan PvP?

7. How big of a role do the micro transactions play in this game? Do the people who pay micro-transaction get a huge bonus? Does it make PvP unbalanced?

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

1) Most the time you acutally use your main and 8 mercs. You start off with 5 and gain 1 more until you are 50th level

That said, you can group with 2 other players, and this is actually the optimal sort of play for many areas of the game. People are generally pretty willing to group, too.

There are also instances that you can do every day that it's very helpful to have others help you with.

2) The level cap is 120. Leveling up is pretty quite until you reach level 95, once there leveling is pretty slow.

You need 52 million xp for level 93, then 54 for 94, and 58 for 95. But then for level 96, you need 74 million, for 97 you need 98 million, and for 98, you need about 129.  (And that's as far as I've gotten, I started playing in early January)

That said, you also actually get more experience for killing monsters. But I gained about a level every other day of fairly causal play, now I hit 95, it's closer to a level a week.

3) Yup. Also becomes more important at 95+, new equipment is available every couple levels, instead of every 10. But it doesn't seem like stuff is super rare, like there being one ultimate badass weapon, it's just you have to enchant stuff up to 10. (Enchanting works by basically squeezing two items together. Two regular items make a +1, two +1s make a +2, and so on up to +10)

4) I'm not actually in one, because my internet connection affects how much I can play (sometimes very sporadically). But Guilds are pretty important. There are special instances guilds can do, they can own and develop towns, there are random quests for them (pretty simple though)

5) PvP is mostly tournaments, several times a day.  There is some group PvP and wars, but I've never experienced them. Most people don't think it's very good.  There's a new group PvP system being added soon, based on screenshots it looks like everyone just uses their mains.

7) Cash shop stuff doesn't seem to apply to PvP tournaments, at least. On the other hand, people who use the CS a lot tend to have better equipment and such that you (this is actually also handicapped in PvP tournies, though), since most will sell CS items for in game money.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• BurnRubberBurnRubber Member Posts: 67

i just want to add a few thoughts on the last two questions since trancejeremy did a good job answering all of it.

5. PvP's (specifically the free league, which is like a tournament style battle), may seem to be simple but eventually becomes deep... as you progress in the game, you'll eventually learn more and more about the strategies in PvP's. as you level higher, more and more mercenaries will be available, the problem now lies in the choice of mercenaries: which one will go or which one will stay. strategies and even formations can make or break a match. you will usually start in division 18 when you try the PVP. its still simple, you'll probably get the hang of the battle system because of the quests, and you'd know the basics of battle. although when you watch higher divisions, you might not understand it at first because of the unfamiliar looking mercs, constant switching of characters, and using scrolls for that matter.

7. before, whenever i go into PvP and notice my opponent has premium items (usually a mount, funny looking costumes, etc.) which is most likely bought from the item mall, i tend to feel intimadated, of course, there are perks from purchasing those items. but i don't think it plays a really big role in the whole game. it is still possible for you be in the same league with premium buyers if you dont like to spend cash, or even better. one tendency for premium item buyers is that sometimes they tend to rely on their upgraded gears and bonuses to the point that they wouldnt learn to adjust to certain situations. on the other hand, non- paying gamers become more tedious in grinding and upgrading their skills thus become better players overall ^_^

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by sushimees

I hope these questions will be easy to answer for you and thank you for your time.

1. I know that the game is turn-based and most of the time you will be using 5? mercenaries but is there any active group play with other players too?
    2. How many levels are there in the game and how long does it take to reach the cap? Is it a huge timesink?
    3. Is the game very gear dependent?
    4. What kind of roles do guilds/clans play in this game?
    5. How deep is the PvP system? Is there any group PvP? Guild/clan PvP?
    7. How big of a role do the micro transactions play in this game? Do the people who pay micro-transaction get a huge bonus? Does it make PvP unbalanced?

1. In Atlantica Online, you are encouraged to party at all times.  You will recieve bonus items and expirience when grouping with other players.  You may see several people in the Peer channel talking about ldp (LDP), this stands for Long Distance Party.  With an LDP you gain a bonus exp anytime one of your groupmates finishes a battle, you don't have to be close to each other.  You do get more expirience if you party and fight together, It pools the expirience everyone gains during the fight, then splits the "expirience pool" based on several factors.

You will start the game with just yourself, but your first quest you recieve is to hire 2 mercenaries, and another quest to hire 1 more soon after. You will be able to hire an additional mercenary at level 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 for a total of 8 mercenaries.

2.  There are a total of 120 levels right now.  How long it takes to achieve that is upto each individual player, thier build, and whether they party alot.  My first 120 took me about 6 months (about 5.9 months to reach 100, then they increased max level to 120).  There are items you can buy in the item mall which incease your expirience by 50% (blessing lisence), but you don't ever have to have anything from there.  I bought a Blessing Lisence for one of my alts, and with a group of guildmates, we got to ~40-45 to 120 in under a week.  I'd suggest taking your time and reading through most of the quests, the storyline is well done.  However, if your goal is to get to 120 as soon as possible, I'd suggest you go for an AoE build (Beast Tamer, Witch, Staff main optional).

3. There's 2 answers to this question, and that depends on what you're doing.  In PvP gear plays a lesser role than in PvE.  Enhanced items (+1 through +10) aren't as effective in PvP, a +10 Phoenix Cannon is equal to just under a +4 Phoenix Cannon.  In PvE, you can still get away with not updating your equipment, until later levels.  Then you will want to at least get your front line into the minimum maximum level armor they can wear (like +0 pyramid set at level 70).

4. Guilds and Nations (group of guilds) play a big role in the game.  Guilds can take control over cities (except Rome), and decide the tax rate and everything for that town. You will get bonus expirience from being in a Guild with a town (you get Town Quests to do, and everytime your population increases you get an expirience bonus).  In later levels there are several Guild and Nation Dungeons that give very nice loot.

5.  The strategy part of this game really shines in PvP.  A good strategy is almost always the difference between winning an defeat.  Some people will lose to someone 10+ levels lower than them in Free League Battles, if they don't have a good strategy.  There are Guild and Nation Wars, primarly focused around control of towns.  Most of the time, however, control of towns is decided through spending Guild Points (I wish there was more wars).  In an upcoming Release, there is going to be places to PvP where it will be upto many players to fight it out, even larger than what a Nation war is now. 

7. You can easily play this game without ever spending a dime.  I played until level 86 before I spent some money.  Almost every items in the item mall you can purchase from players using ingame money (I will all of them were ;_;).  In PvP, players that get the items from the item mall will have some advantage over someone who doesn't, but it isn't that huge.  In PvE, there is a bigger difference though.  With a Mercury Rider, Wings, Suit, Blessing Lisence, etc. you will be able to kill monsters that are about 5-7 levels higher than you, like if you were fighting an equal level monster without the items.  These items only effect your main (except the bonuses from Blessing Lisence), and you have 8 other mercenaries that are pretty much the same as everyone else, unless you spend alot of money on ori stones (for enhancing gear) and skill potential potions (gives upto 30 extra skill points).

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

Ok, thanks for all the answers. You've been a great help.

• elit3gam3relit3gam3r Member Posts: 186

hello hope you find the answers that your looking for... ^^,

Luminary: Rise of the GoonZu player