Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF13 demo is out

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

"Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete went on sale in Nipon (aka Japan) today — complete with bundled Final Fantasy XIII demo.

The one hour long Final Fantasy XIII PS3 demo clocks in at approximately 5.09GB, which includes 256 MB of firmware update data as well. The demo file's time stamp is 12/3 ~ 12/6." link

ref retails this winter in Nipon!!
Developer Square Enix showed the first trailer for Final Fantasy XIII in May 2006.
Since then, the game has never been demonstrated to the outside world, even at trade shows. The PlayStation 3 demo disc, bundled with a Final Fantasy movie and currently available only in Japan, marks the first time that anyone outside Square Enix has played the company's flagship next-gen title.

The demo focuses almost entirely on battling small groups of weak enemies. Final Fantasy XIII does not diverge significantly from the formula pioneered in the original 8-bit game released in 1987 — you select attacks or magic spells from a list, and watch what results from your choices. There are a few tweaks that make XIII unique:

Briefly stated, XIII's plot revolves around a battle between two worlds. Led by a mysterious superhuman race called the fal'Cie, many humans have left their world, Pulse, to establish a paradise floating in the sky called Cocoon. The Cocoon dwellers have been battling those left on Pulse ever since. (I got that off Wikipedia.) Very little of the plot is explored in the demo — it consists mostly of an epic battle scene taking place on Pulse.

XIII's twist on the battle system is that during each turn, you can queue up as many as three different attacks, which your character will execute in rapid-fire sequence. You can combine physical attacks and magic spells (Fire and Blizzard are available in the demo). If you want to use one massive spell that affects all areas in a certain radius, you can, but it takes up all three of your slots.

In the second half of the demo, you play a character called Snow. He's joined by two partners, Gadot and Lebreau — like Sazh, they're controlled by the computer. It's not clear from the demo if you'll only control one character in the final game, or if you'll have control over all of them.

The idea behind the combo-based combat, besides adding an additional layer of strategy to the battles, seems to be to make Final Fantasy XIII's visual presentation more dynamic. From the earliest days of the series to games on the PlayStation 2, the default behavior of heroes in battle has been to stand absolutely stock-still while waiting for their turn to begin. In XIII, characters move around while they wait; they pace and lunge and dodge. None of this has the slightest bit of effect on the battle, though; it's all for show.

How will battles feel when you can control three characters?
Can you control three characters?
Do you have to spend "magic points" to cast spells, or are they free as in the demo?
Can you buy, find and equip your characters with new weapons and armor?
How do your characters grow and learn new techniques?
How much freedom do players have to explore the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon, outside of these prescripted battle sequences?

Little Big REVENGE 6:47

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The videos i saw looked pretty good.I hope that last release game is no indication of the direction Square is taking for future games,i did not like that last game at all.I think it was called the Last Remnant.It seems Squares tries to come up wit ha n ew way to interact with weapon skills/abilities in every game,many of the ideas i have not liked ,i prefer the way FFXI is done,i dont like real time using 3 players.I did not mind the way FFX did the 3 player idea because it was stop time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

All I know, is they better damn well have brought summons back ( including Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, etc. ) or they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

This was one of my biggest disappointments with FFXII.

I also agree with Wizardry. They need to stop with changing the combat every time and trying to make it more of an action game instead of an rpg. And I was also disappointed with The Last Remnant for just this reason.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

FF XII did have summons, they're just a pain to find and you have to fight them. It's basically FFXI on single player. That's what my wife says. Haven't played Last Remnant. Need to get that.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

Originally posted by Satimasu

FF XII did have summons, they're just a pain to find and you have to fight them. It's basically FFXI on single player. That's what my wife says. Haven't played Last Remnant. Need to get that.

FFXII does not have summons. Instead, they named the ships after the usual summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, alexander, etc. ). The only thing FFXII had were Espers, and they were basically party members who could be summoned ( so I guess if you want to be technical they can be called summons:P ). No real feel of "OMG! Look at that shit!!" when they are used, attacks on par with normal party members except for the special attacks which still were not that great. I'm sorry, but "Mateus" is no Ifrit.

I do agree with the singleplayer FFXI comparison, though. FFXII really did feel like a half-baked mmo.

• SilentradarSilentradar Member Posts: 30

FFX was a great game.  It had the best balance I think between the classic FF style, along with the gameplay features we know and love (SUMMONS) and also had its own great features which set it apart from other FF's (the spec system namely)  All in all my favorite Final Fantasy.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

FFXII does not have summons. Instead, they named the ships after the usual summons ( Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, alexander, etc. ). The only thing FFXII had were Espers, and they were basically party members who could be summoned ( so I guess if you want to be technical they can be called summons:P ). No real feel of "OMG! Look at that shit!!" when they are used, attacks on par with normal party members except for the special attacks which still were not that great. I'm sorry, but "Mateus" is no Ifrit.

I do agree with the singleplayer FFXI comparison, though. FFXII really did feel like a half-baked mmo.

Mateus is ice ... you were thinking of Belias, just saying. And technically the espars are basically the Zodiac Brave from FFT if you guys didn't notice.

Originally posted by ic0n67

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Mateus is ice ... you were thinking of Belias, just saying. And technically the espars are basically the Zodiac Brave from FFT if you guys didn't notice.

Heh, yeah I mixed 'em up. Been awhile since i played XII.

I wouldn't have recognized them from the tactics game though. I hate rts/strategy type games, so I bypassed the Tactics games altogether.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

That's a shame.

I personally liked Final Fantasy Tactics more than most of the normal Final Fantasy games.