Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you still be interested in this game if it wasn't Star Wars and not made by Bioware?

I have a question for everyone, stated in the title. I get the feeling that the biggest thing this game has going for it right now is it's IP and it's maker. So many times I read "Yay it's Star Wars" or "It's Bioware, they make good games". So, all pre-conceived biases aside, based solely on screenshots and game description, would you be interested in this game not knowing the IP and not knowing who was making it?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Comments

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

im hammered right now and this really doesnt make sense to me. you took away the title of the game and the developer, so what would this game be? im going to say im not interested in something i dont know something about.

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700

I'm taking this as that using the screen shots as the graphic style for the game, and if this game isn't Star Wars, and it's not made by Bioware, I would still be somewhat interested (I have not that much of a problem with the artistic style of the graphic), but may not be as interested as I am now due to I am a big Star Wars fan, and I liked Bioware' s previous games (at least hte ones I've played.)

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by lornj

im hammered right now and this really doesnt make sense to me. you took away the title of the game and the developer, so what would this game be? im going to say im not interested in something i dont know something about.

I'm saying, based on current screenshots(to determine graphical style), and current gameplay descriptions(claiming it is story driven), would you still be interested in this game if it was the Star Wars IP, and wasn't made by Bioware. Basically I'm trying to see if this game is as hyped and popular because of it's IP and maker or the merits of the gameplay. I have a strong feeling that the IP and maker are going to carry this game to success, no matter how good or bad the actual game is.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Bioware are a solid developer & have a solid track record of strory driven single player games, the hope is they can translate that skill to the MMO genre.

For me the IP & graphics are next to impossible to seperate in the way your question demands, the graphics are what convey the message & meaning & entire feel of the IP, you may as well try to make Spaghetti Bolognese without Bolognese sauce.

However, the graphical style Bioware chose puts me right off this game, SWG was closer to how I would want a Star Wars game to look, though in it's favour the Bioware game looks to have fabulous animation, I'm just not into the whole cartoon look.

But try to answer your somewhat obtuse question is difficult, I don't think the graphics in any game can carry an MMO by themselves, IP & developer are important pieces of the overall picture, & graphics are a matter of personal taste, while I personally am a hater of cartoony graphics depicting what I envisage as a realistic universe, I would hate a photorealistic MMO based on a cartoon in the same way....however other people like cartoony graphics, 4 million fusion fall players for a start so the style is obviously attractive to many people.

• milkyymilkyy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 61

i think this OP is retarded....

Originally posted by milkyy

And you for not getting a simple concept.

Does the merits of the game deserve the hype it is getting, or is it getting the hype mostly due to the IP and maker.

Take Earthrise for instance. Unknown maker, unknown IP, yet I am very excited about that game based on it's description and projected game style.

Does the description and prjected game style of TOR warrant your enthusiasm, or is it only receiving it because it is Star Wars and a Bioware game?

• Mattyb710Mattyb710 Member Posts: 98

I wouldn't be interested in ANY game based on just screenshots alone.

• 3L1TE3L1TE Member Posts: 167

Would you still be interested in Sex if there was no Pleasure?

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

It's a pretty simple concept.  Those of you not answering and calling the OP retarded just don't want to answer truthfully ;)

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Based strictly on art style..no. There is not really enough information about gameplay for me to make that decision based on anything else. I like the fact that your actions have permanent consequences, but I also know that Bioware knows how to implement that well. Kinda hard to seperate that fact from my opinion. Even so, I am in a wait and see mode with this game, not a rabid Star Wars fan, but I do like Bioware games. And that , for me, is the most important consideration. Just like I'm much more likely to see a movie if it's made by a director I like, than some unknown person, because it really is their vision.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I understand what the OP means in his question.

I still find it to be slightly pointless....

You see, at their core...all MMORPG's are functionally the same creature.  Since there is no GAME to play, (and, thus, no meat and potatoes to debate on), all of the interest the game CAN have is based on its skin.  If the game were not Star Wars, or being developed by Bioware, then what is it?  What is its setting?  Who IS making it?  Because, you see, until a game is realized...those two factors sorta weigh in rather HEAVY in deciding what initial hype there is for it.

So, while the question is interesting enough, its basically asking a bunch of Star Wars fans if they would be interested in the game if it weren't Star Wars.  The answer is pretty easy to see....NO.  The draw to the game is based on the fact people like Star Wars, and know that Bioware makes awesome Star Wars games.  It is only expected that our interest HINGES on those factors, since what people following this game WANT is a good star wars mmo.  Will it BE a good one?  We don't know, but we DO know what to expect, mostly, from ANY MMO at this point in the genres life.  There are tiny deviations in that formula, but they are not enough to warrant really discussing at this juncture.

What IS important, is that a series we love is being made by a company we know to be very well adapted to MAKING games in that series.    Asking us to forget those points is kinda dumb.  No, I wouldn't be interested in this game if it weren't comprised of those two facts.  I have no use for another fantasy-setting base MMO that I've played a thousand times.  I don't care how well done it is at this point.  I've killed, what is likely to be, my last orc.  I'm sorry. 

If that is to hard to grasp for anyone here, then I must question what it is you think these games are....because I can assure you they are NOT what you seem to think they are.

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

A rose by any other name is still a rose and the same goes for a pile of crap.  It doesn't really matter how well it is dressed up and promote.  If the gameplay is horrible you won't be able to keep any customer.  With that said attaching any kind of ip to a company with that kind of pedigree to ganer a certain kind of expectation from the product.  It is like attaching the band name of Ferrari to cars or Bose to sound system.  While I do not know anything about the product itself, I know that what ever it is, it will be of high quality.  So it wrap it up, the game name have absolutely zero impact on my decision of the game other than knowing it will be sci-fi, but the maker would make be very interested or none at all about that product until proven otherwise.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I think bioware is a good company that develops quality games, however, their name and the SW franchise is all they have going for them. tbh, im not even close to being interested in the game, and that says a lot since I look forward to bioware products. I cant see how SWTHR will be worth playing, especially after a game like SWG. This bioware attempt looks shallow and feels weak for a mmorpg contender.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

You know, the thing with stories is that it matters who is telling them. The original poster, in his contempt for the "story-driven game" concept, seems to have forgotten this vital bit about the nature of storytelling itself. A story is not just a plot, it is so much more than that. And the bits that really matter are what an author brings into it.

Asking whether the fact that Bioware is making this game matters is like saying "Would you be interested in a story of a married woman who falls in love with an army officer if it was not written by Tolstoy?". Well, there goes Anna Karenina.

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

What on earth are you talking about, if it wasn't Star Wars and not made by Bioware? So you mean a hypothetical unknown MMO in development?? How the hell would I  know?

Wow, there are some dumb questions on these forums.

Originally posted by 3L1TE

Would you still be interested in Sex if there was no Pleasure?

No, it's too sticky.

Originally posted by maniacfox

What on earth are you talking about, if it wasn't Star Wars and not made by Bioware? So you mean a hypothetical unknown MMO in development?? How the hell would I  know?
    Wow, there are some dumb questions on these forums.

It's not a difficult question. Look at Earthrise. Unknown maker and Unknown IP but people are excited about the game based on the merits of the claimed gameplay features. The question is would a game with the gameplay features claimed for TOR interest you reguardless of the maker and IP, or is this game only interesting you BECAUSE of the maker and IP?

Wow, there are some dumb people on these forums.

• Slashed316Slashed316 Member UncommonPosts: 151

I love Bioware and i love Star Wars that being said i have almost no intrest in this game it just doesnt seem to be going in the direction i want. If i didn't know the IP and maker i would have long forgotten about this game but as im a fan of both and its not done yet i still have a little hope.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by milkyy

lol

Would as many people play WoW if wasn't WoW made by Bliizzard? lol no it would be a different game. Of course the IP sells, and so does reputation. It's really a no brainer.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

As long as it had guns, swords, spaceships and different planets with different characteristics.  I would still be interested.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I have a question for everyone, stated in the title. I get the feeling that the biggest thing this game has going for it right now is it's IP and it's maker. So many times I read "Yay it's Star Wars" or "It's Bioware, they make good games". So, all pre-conceived biases aside, based solely on screenshots and game description, would you be interested in this game not knowing the IP and not knowing who was making it?

To be honost I think I would actualy start to become more intrested in the game if it was a unknown IP from a unknown company, cause for now the only intrest I have in SW/Tor is me being curious what Bioware can do in the MMORPG genre, not so much that they are developing a Star Wars MMO, even though I am a Star Wars fan (from the old). But hey that's just me.......

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

If it wasn't Star Wars, I wouldn't be intersted in it. I 've always wanted to get back into a Star Wars  MMORPG and to be honest with you if it wasn't made by BioWare I wouldn't even see it.

The Graphics suck, the game is unpolished, eek, come on guys it is 2009

• soulrevolversoulrevolver Member Posts: 33

Is this what it was like in the cinema queue 24 hours before the first screening of The Phantom Menace?

• Originally posted by Abrahmm

Another game with Lightsabers and such? Well then we could all assume it was just some lame Star Wars knockoff and be utterly sucky. Your question is basically, " Would you like a game you knew nothing about but looks like a Star Wars knock off?" WTF man.....seriously...

• yungnineyungnine Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

This is kind of a dumb statement in all complete honesty.  If you ask this same question of any game you'd see the problem.  SWG Would anyone have been interested in it if it wasn't Star Wars, and if it wasn't done by Sony (creator of one of the longest running MMOS, and questionably the best MMO prior to SWG).  World of Warcraft, would people have been interested if it wasn't Warcraft, and it wasn't done by Blizzard?  Warhammer, Ultima Online, Matrix Online, Conan.  Everquest, DAoC, City of Heroes and a few others are the only truly successful games using their own individual IPs. And then you can still question if Everquest wasn't Medieval in nature, or if DAoC didn't follow involve Knights, or if CoH wasn't about Super Powered Beings.  A Games graphics and ideas can only carry it so far, then it simply comes down to who's making it, and what they are making it about.  Everquest probably wouldn't have made it without the Sony name behind it.  I'd say CoH is probably the best standalone game from a breakout company that didn't use anyones specific design behind it.  Short of that everyone has the big developer or the big IP to carry it past the development stage, SWG proves that once it's there and once it has it's fanbase a game will only continue to survive if it's well updated and sticks to the game that people came in to play.  I'd be willing to bet that if WoW came out with a patch tomorrow that shifted the game to more what SWG was Pre-CU that it's fanbase would fall off significantly.

So would I be interested, Yes, it's got new concepts that have never been displayed in a solid MMO before, Companion Characters, not just pets but other Characters that will partially depend upon you.  Story Driven, sure all MMOs have their story but more need either no story (so you can build your own personal story in the way you play) or an individual story that makes you feel your game is different from the guy standing next to you.