Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only REAL way to handle the Bountyhunter class? You decide.

Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Upon hearing that SWTOR is introducing 3 factions, with 3 main combat classes: Sith (Empire), Jedi(Republic) and Bounty Hunter(Neutral). I was thinking of how PvP and game dynamics would work with a system like that. Of course there would be open PvP between the Sith and the Jedi, with PvP flags triggering when one of them starts a fight. But it would be a little different for bounty hunters. Being the professionals they are, they would only engage in PvP with the bounty and any players foolish enough to "help" his target. The bounty hunter's PvP flag would only trigger when he takes up a bounty and only initially for his immediate target.

--------------------------------------

This message would pop up for the target stating that a bounty has been placed on their head(This serves as a fair warning to those bountied to watch their backs). As soon as the target acknowledges that the message was received, a "duel-type" code would make both players (The bounty hunter and the target) hostile toward each other only (This would make it possible for bounty hunters track down their target in any territory). Then the cat and mouse chase begins. After catching up with his target the bounty hunter may have to "deal" with friends of his target. They cannot take action against the bounty hunter until he engages in aggressive behavior toward the target(This is to keep players from falsely ganking neutral-based bounty hunters).

-------------------------------------

Once the bounty hunter becomes "hot" the target and any other combatants fighting against the bounty hunter has a chance of taking a 50% stat reducing penalty for 30mins if killed by the bounty hunter. This is to give players who help their friends a sense of risk when engaging a working bounty hunter when he's only doing his "job". It also serves as a penalty for those targeted by bounty hunter contracts from acting out revenge kills against the bounty hunters themselves.

Once the job is completed and the contract is paid, the bounty hunter's PvP flag is removed until he opens up a new contract and the cycle begins again.

--------------------------------------

Also as a incentive for bounty hunters to actually seek out bounties, they will receive RP (Reputation points) for jobs completed. With more points given for doing the job faster. These RP would be used to unlock more powerful weapons/armor for bounty hunters to purchase. In a sense it would keep active hunters rewarded and deter inactive ones from gaining access to powerful weapons/armors without really engaging in what makes a bounty hunter a bounty hunter.

I feel this is the best way to handle these neutral fighters from a fair standpoint. It keeps gankers from picking what could possibly be the most powerful of the 3 main combat classes and keeps everyone one else honest to what a class like a bountyhunter really truely means. From what it sounds like they will be a force to reckon with.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Where did you see there would be a 3rd faction? I'm pretty sure there are only 2 factions, Republic and Sith, and Bounty hunter is just a class. I could be wrong, which is why I ask.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Me and a friend of mine were reading up on the site and it's stated that bounty hunters belong to a neutral faction along with some other groups not aligned with the other 2.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Sovereign797Sovereign797 Member Posts: 34

You should probably READ the TOR website instead of HEARING complete nonsense from people who also didn't read it.

-Sovereign

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Yes they will be aligned to the Sith Empire, yet still be non-Sith citizens making them nuatral, Sith Aligned.

Confusing I know lol, but what that means is, they don't fight for the Sith, rather they only work for the Sith.  Further meaning, the Republic will not have any Bounty Hunters on their side, at least at first, may change later.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

Originally posted by m240gulf

Yes they will be aligned to the Sith Empire, yet still be non-Sith citizens making them nuatral, Sith Aligned.

Confusing I know lol, but what that means is, they don't fight for the Sith, rather they only work for the Sith.  Further meaning, the Republic will not have any Bounty Hunters on their side, at least at first, may change later.

That sounds... Really stupid. So they are making faction based classes? I thought they specifically said they weren't doing that?

Yeah, at first anyways, they said it might change later in the release.  So for the vanilla version of SWOR, all classes will be faction dependant.

I have to agree that wouldn't make much sense. But now that I read into the class more, it seems they will "favor" working for the empire more....neutral but aligned.....interesting. And here I was gearing up to be one.

Yeah, at first anyways, they said it might change later in the release.  So for the vanilla version of SWOR, all classes will be faction dependant.

Wow... That is a terrible idea. Twice as many classes to create, twice as many balancing problems. Wow.

You have a link I could read about this?

Give me a sec, I'll look around for it...keep in mind, this so far only applies to Bounty Hunters and kind of jedi (e.i. Sith being Sith EMpire, Jedi being the Repulic).  No word on the other classes yet since they only really officially mentioned Bounty Hunters.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

all the info you want is on the official forums which isnt hard to find and noone needs to post a link for you. no reason to speculate on whats going to happen with this game right now until it gets close to a launch date. any info thats out right now could drastically change before the launch date. no reason to start bashing things right now. just sit back and wait.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Wow... That is a terrible idea. Twice as many classes to create, twice as many balancing problems. Wow.

Found it, third paragraph down mentioned the faction specifics of the Bounty hunter class, and from the sound of this blog, it makes it sound like every other class will follow the same rule for faction specific classes.

http://www.swtor.com/news/bwblog/20090403_001

Found it, third paragraph down mentioned the faction specifics of the Bounty hunter class, and from the sound of this blog, it makes it sound like every other class will follow the same rule for faction specific classes.

Thanks for that link, I appreciate it.

I have to say, this has the be the first game where I was completely excited for it when it was first announced, and with each passing announcement the game sounds worst and worst. Those look like some pretty terrible ideas.

Oh well.

Don't hate it just yet...

What they plan is different, no way to really fully judge the game until they first open beta's are available to test out.  In that article, he explained why they decided to go faction specific class, and I know it brings a long alot of headaches as far as balance, but this is no ordinary development company. 

That being said, this is also their first MMO and balance is something new to them, that is mainly why I say lets just wait and see what their concepts bring to the table during at least beta.

Thanks for the info m240gulf , I just read the blog entry and it seems like they can't make up their minds about just how independent the bounty hunters will be from the empire as far as story-wise. Now how this will translate into actual gameplay mechanisms is yet to be seen, but I'm not so quick to write it off myself. This is coming from a former player from SWG before the players moaning about class nerfs screwed that up.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Once again we know little about this game, but Seandalhberg(of Swtor) did say Bounty Hunters will be aligned Sith side and not republic.

Yes Bounty Hunters and Smugglers in SW lore are alighed neutral for the most part but money talks and Republic doesn't necessarily hire mecernaries.

• gadgettekgadgettek Member Posts: 2

I do not believe that every class will be faction based. At the most certain skills will be faction based. This would account for the differences between Jedi and Sith.

Further more, other classes that may be added would be smuggler and soldier. I could see smuggler being the Republic only class that counters bounty hunter, and soldiers would a class for both factions. These are just ideas and I am sure I am more wrong than right. Just food for thought.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352

I have to say, this has the be the first game where I was completely excited for it when it was first announced, and with each passing announcement the game sounds worst and worst. Those look like some pretty terrible ideas.

Oh well.

"Which leads me to the third decision we made: No class would exist in both factions – at least at first."

Considering this is a story based mmo, the last 4 words says it all. I'm sure most classes will cross factions early into the game. I think they are selecting a few classes for each faction and putting you on a short guided path to what you did in both KOTOR games. Make the big decision, giving you the ability to choose a side and moving through the story of the faction you chose.

• NaranarNaranar Member Posts: 97

Oh well.

Dont get all sad face  there isnt even beta and all of this can be changed in any minute from now but I dont think it is that bad Bioware said there are chances to be  good from evil  or evil from good so that could mean you will see sith aligned with republic that means when you start as empire aligned BH you can end up as republic aligned bounty hunter too.

• gadgettekgadgettek Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Naranar

Oh well.

Dont get all sad face  there isnt even beta and all of this can be changed in any minute from now but I dont think it is that bad Bioware said there are chances to be  good from evil  or evil from good so that could mean you will see sith aligned with republic that means when you start as empire aligned BH you can end up as republic aligned bounty hunter too.

I would imagine that this process would be rather involved and more than likely only be allowed at a certain level.  This gameplay mechanic has been used in other games with varying levels of success.  It is my hope that Bioware finds a way to make this natural and fun, as I would love to turn a sith to the light.