Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mabinogi: Substance Over Flash

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Mabinogi Correspondent Beau Turkey writes this article discussing the merits of substance over flash when it comes to Nexon America's Mabinogi.

Graphics are a funny thing. Discussing what good graphics are, and why a player prefers them, is a lot like discussing art. After all, everyone has an opinion and there can be no "right" or "wrong," just preferences.

Some players tend to like more "realistic" looking games like Vanguard, Everquest2 or Lord of the Rings Online. Others lean towards "cartoony" or cel-shaded games like Dream of Mirror Online or Maple Story. Then there are games like Mabinogi that show off a style that can be semi-realistic and very cartoony all in the same world.

The question is, do you allow graphics to make or break a game for you? Does it need to look like real life to feel authentic, or do you need bright colors and big explosions to help you have a good time?

Read Substance Over Flash

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

I just skimmed through your text... Mabinogi may be fun and so but... didn't you mean "Substance over FlEsh"?

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I just want a game which has the following:

Open skills - let me be whatever I want to be

Live Content - Companies should hire students to play ingame boss mobs

Open World - RVR / Castle Seiges - that is meaningful to the world/your guild and yourself

Dungeon Crawling/exploring

Let me and my friends slay dragons

Make is easy for me to find groups

Take away the grind, make the game fun and all about endgame

Grpahics although important do not make up for poor game play or poor game design.

Most of my points gamers have been making forever, unfortunately game companies don't listen to well.

• egg20001ukegg20001uk Member Posts: 124

There's only one thing that really annoys me about Mabinogi ...

The IP Block for Europe so only Americans can play the game, It's a kick in the balls because it's something i would be playing otherwise.

• beauturkeybeauturkey Mabinogi CorrespondentMember Posts: 288
    Originally posted by zigmund

Open skills - let me be whatever I want to be (Mabi has more skills that you can shake a stick at. You can pretty much anything you want, from a healer that fights to a crafter that mines. Any combination of any of them, with enough time. The "rebirth" feature can speed things up and is free. )
    Live Content - Companies should hire students to play ingame boss mobs (They have live events, plenty of them, but not so much like this. This is a great idea, though! )
    Open World - RVR / Castle Seiges - that is meaningful to the world/your guild and yourself (They have guild v guild battles and duels, but would need ot check on this for more answers.) 
    Dungeon Crawling/exploring (Yep and yep. Tons of it. Greanted, the dungeons can look very similar, but every time you drop an item on the altar it will create a brand new layout. Also, there are many types of dungeons.)
    Let me and my friends slay dragons (See my screenshot? hehe) 
    Make is easy for me to find groups (They have a group find feature that works pretty well. Also, there are always tons of players. )
    Take away the grind, make the game fun and all about endgame (Not sure about the endgame, being that there is none. Well, eventually you would run out of skills, but then you have housing, side-games and role-play. I have been playing a long time and barely have scratched the skill surface. Then you can get into dueling/pvp..all that. )
    Grpahics although important do not make up for poor game play or poor game design. (The graphics are the point to this article. They are good, and better at high settings, but could be better. The game-play definitely makes up for it.)

Most of my points gamers have been making forever, unfortunately game companies don't listen to well.

You just kind of described Mabinogi perfectly. My answers are in your post.

Beau

Listen to the Spouse Aggro podcast at spouseaggro.com. Twitter: spouseaggro

Originally posted by egg20001uk

There's only one thing that really annoys me about Mabinogi ...
    The IP Block for Europe so only Americans can play the game, It's a kick in the balls because it's something i would be playing otherwise.

Agh! I heard about this...I have no idea why some games do this and some don't. I wish I knew.

beau

• PhenocaPhenoca Member Posts: 15

I thought the graphics were great.

Games with realistic graphics tend to have unrealistic violence (which I dislike, since I'm not accustomed to violence). Yet the last I had heard about Mabinogi, ~2000 users got banned for... Being rich?

Remark: Duping --> gold --> massive bans (and a lot of accounts were wrongfully banned)

And I stopped playing when I spent a skill-point on the wrong skill. I may - I will start playing this summer, as it is a good use of time and the in-game community is ok.

Regarding fire... *Phenoca offers you newbie-bread*

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Open skills - let me be whatever I want to be
    Open World - RVR / Castle Seiges - that is meaningful to the world/your guild and yourself
    Dungeon Crawling/exploring
    Let me and my friends slay dragons
    Make is easy for me to find groups
    Take away the grind, make the game fun and all about endgame
    Grpahics although important do not make up for poor game play or poor game design.

Yeah that's exactly what I want too.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Now that is an awesome idea, I  don't know why game developers haven't tried this.  Im sure there are  some hard core PvPers out there that would sit in from of a computer screen all day trying to wipe a party.  Hell It even sounds fun to me. lol

Just imagine how much more fun it would make dungeon runs, I think it would make them so much more fun. You never know what they are going to do next and it makes you think on your toes.  Like in WoW your grinding the same damn thing just hoping for that drop. Why not make that loot drop more often but have someone playing the boss so its harder to beat them and if you do, you get the loot because your actually a a good player and not because you have time to do the damn thing a million times to get that very rare drop.

• PhenocaPhenoca Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Now that is an awesome idea, I  don't know why game developers haven't tried this. 

RO

Carpe Diem

I would like it if the latter were hosted, but it is not.

I am sure there are more, as well as games that are PvP-enabled (which is indeed awesome).

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I really like Mabinogi and started playing because Beau had blogged about it. :) BUT I'm a case of I don't have enough time on my hands for it. I will say this it is a game that stays on your mind for a long time and the graphics on screenshots and even videos do not do justice to the in game experience. The world meshes so very well together it's difficult not to find yourself immersed.

What I didn't like was the fixed camera angle when you enter buildings feels like a 2D game at that point. Click to point usually annoys the heck out of me but in this game I don't mind due to the really fun combat moves. Harvesting is so cool!

Wow it's late now so I'm ranting and my points don' t follow each other, but point being Mabinogi is totally worth the download and the space on your hard drive. :P Looking forwards to Mabinogi 2 news eventually also and I don't mean Mabinogi Heroes which is more console oriented. XD

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• MaverynthiaMaverynthia Member UncommonPosts: 55

Grphics to me have become a bigger issue in the churning of the clones of clones. The game that had the best graphics to me was Granado Espada, sexy ass men that you could dress in next to nothing. Why is this important to me? Because no other game really has that. It's all about stripping down the women and jiggling their boobs... I do not like that thing. Then again I'm not their target demographic. However the cutesy stuff isn't "sexy" enough for me. It all looks like a bunch of little kids running around. Once you've seen one you've really seen them all. I really want a game where there I'm the demographic and it isn't cutesy at all, like Granado Espada. (You can even go so far in the game to have a complete male harem as you play with 3 characters and can pick and choose them ;D ).

Really I haven't seen much different in terms of graphics. I've also played Mabinogi, and everything looks about the same in it, I would say it's still a very cutesy game in terms of graphics. True is has a lot behind it and a "sandbox" feel, but you need money to do anything, and if you run out of money, so does the fun of the game run out.

Someone on the Mabi forums said that the graphics looked a little dated because the game was a little old, not that the company was trying to keep away from having to update it.

My point was that regardless of the reason for the "dated" graphics, it can be a blessing in a lot of ways because the developers could avoid having to be the latest, most realistic game out there, and could be open to being played on many more systems than a game that requires a state of the art machine.

Also, just a side-point, if you put a skill point in the wrong area, you can either get it back by paying for a service that will give you a pill that "refunds" a skill point, or you can just get a free re-birth, which starts you over with all your skill levels but with a character that is at level one.

I will write a feature article about that, tough to explain without playing it.

Beau

... but you need money to do anything, and if you run out of money, so does the fun of the game run out.

I completely disagree. Granted, spending a little money DOES gain you a lot of cool stuff, but it is not forced.

Especially now with free rebirths and even free storage services (for accounts under a total age of 30) you can do it all without spending a dime. Does it help? Of course.

Consider the game free, but with an option to spend money to take less time to do things. That's fine by me! :)

Beau

• egg20001ukegg20001uk Member Posts: 124

beauturkey i don't suppose you could get any information about a European release or even any info about Nexon lifting the ip block could you?.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sounds like a fun game, but the anime characters just don't do it for me sorry to say.  Hard to get immersed in a game when the characters look like they do.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sounds like a fun game, but the anime characters just don't do it for me sorry to say.  Hard to get immersed in a game when the characters look like they do.

I agree, sometimes the graphics can be distracting. Once you see a lot of the game you see how nice the engine can look, especially for it's age. The game-play really makes up for it.

A European release? That'd be awesome. Nexon is not really responsive to emails and such, being that it's hard to even find one to contact them with! lol

I'll see if I can get any answers though! :)

Beau

• SlykikSlykik Member Posts: 7

I've been playin' Mabinogi for... almost a year if not already.

The game has good quality overall. It has a very unique fighting style, almost constantly updated game world, Graphics are good for lesser computer capabilities, and it provides a good social environment.

Though it has had me hooked for almost a year, I can't say I haven't found some issues that would of been nice to have it fixed.

The extras you can buy are nice, and with the latest updates, the game has literally gone completely free playable, but unfortunately those who have had them for a long time, pretty much relys on the extras. So once you start gettin' far into the game, you end up having to use at least Nao or Banking services (Nao is like having extra lives, and Banking is for extra inventory space) in order go make any good progress anymore.

in the past, the main storyline was limited to only those with some kind of extra on their account, which isn't the case now. So it's nice to know if I have to loose my extras, I wont have to have them to continue the storyline when it progresses. (Although, I can't say I care much for the Generation Skipping. G1, yeah, skip away, but G2 and 3?.. eh..)

The game is completely customizable, all the way down to the color of your clothes, which is a great bonus, making it harder to find two people that look alike.

Gold is frustrating at times. As I said before, you almost have to rely on the extras when you get to a point, and the whole economy on major things that you may need, is a little spastic at times. When one event makes an item easy to get, it drops the value drastically, and ups the price of items that help the event. So you pretty much sell now, or you wont get the same price in the next week or so.

The MMO actually has a nice little storyline. If you read the books and actually read over what happens, it's pretty in depth. (Though the recent story is kind of iffy.. not much to say about the story of the Elves or Giants.)

The game is really one sided on a single class really. Archery is over powered in both PvP and dungeons, when ranked enough. It gets annoying, though we wait for a new update that brings a skill that will counter archery for us Warrior Focus players.

Anyway, the game is good, but it would be nice to see some changes here and there. Maybe more things to do, and a little less unstable servers. So many server updates are suddenly popping up, it's almost disturbing. A little more to do would be great. Once you beat the all of the Generation Stories and have pretty much every skill, you have nothing else to do but train, and for those who can't afford a Rebirth every single week like the majority of the players now-a-days, you really only play every three weeks, play for maybe two days, then get off till you can Rebirth again. It gets frustrating at times.

Overall: It's really a good game, and those who like an MMO that has a lot of freedom in skills, looks, and pretty much everything, should check it out. The Graphics are a little anime style, yes, but the entire world complements the look so well, you really don't notice the look, but more that it all belongs.

• FerretboyFerretboy Member UncommonPosts: 57

One of the few games to feature tree punching.

Thanks for some clarifications Slykik, I wasn't able to cover most everything. Of course, this article was mainly about graphics. Sort of. lol

I can see the reliance on the shop, for sure. I don't think that's anything bad, though, being that it is still cheaper than most subs, and you can spend it when and if you want. I just like the choice.

Beau

Originally posted by beauturkey

Thanks for some clarifications Slykik, I wasn't able to cover most everything. Of course, this article was mainly about graphics. Sort of. lol
     I can see the reliance on the shop, for sure. I don't think that's anything bad, though, being that it is still cheaper than most subs, and you can spend it when and if you want. I just like the choice.
     Beau

Heh, sure thing. I still enjoy the game and pop in every once in a while. I still have advanced item services after all xP

But I know what you mean, you don't really need the shop items, in fact I know a good amount of people who are completely free now with Rebirths and such being completely free. I think it's more of a peer pressure in the game, the wanting to get stronger so you can take on your rivals or whatever challenges your friends want you to join in. So it gets annoying to see people rebirthing every week when not only is it a bit of a waste in AP (Ability Points used for ranking skills) in the end, but people shooting past you in the overall levels.

Not to mention the pets and such that are out there. There are new ones out every month or so. So everyone is rushing to get that limited time only pet. So those without the ability to get Nexon Cash (Nexon, the running company of Mabinogi, form of funds for Cash Shop items) fall short.

I'm not ranting on the shop, in fact Maplestory and Mabinogi are, as I would assume, are most of the funds and profits for upgrades Nexon America is able to get.

What kind of got my attention was the free services lasting only to level 30. Honestly, any player that has any slight experience and know what they're doing, can hit level 30 in a single day of just beginner quests alone. (And maybe some help on dungeon running for gold)

I hear people complaining about Nexon America being cheap and overpriced about things, but honestly I think they're just stingy. I haven't gotten anything besides my monthly Fantasy Pack (A special deal containing all three special services in one cheaper price) when it comes to Cash Shop items. I'd like to see the next updates for sure. (Though I'm mostly waiting for Chain Casting, the ability to charge more than one charge on a spell depending on the rank of upgrade on a wand, and Assault, a melee ability to rush at an archer without being stunned and taking minimal damage depending on ranks.)

Either way, since I've been playin' for a while, I've been able to see most of the common problems around the game and such. I can go into more depth, but I don't think this thread is really called for it. Don't take me wrong though, Mabinogi has more plus sides, in fact massively more plus sides than negative, and a very unique gameplay, as I stated before.

• lildarkklildarkk Member Posts: 31

First time I played Mabinogi I enjoyed it and used to watch hens fight foxes but my internet was slow so I couldnt play. After I got faster internet...

Well, I came back to Mabinogi like a month or so ago and I've been enjoying it. I'm a level 30 human but I feel like I made a good choice.

Sometime halfway through my gaming time I get bored, so I switch and go mining, sell some ores and make some easy money.

Overall, I agree with everything that has been posted and I hope I will enjoy Mabinogi alot more!

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by beauturkey

... but you need money to do anything, and if you run out of money, so does the fun of the game run out.

I completely disagree. Granted, spending a little money DOES gain you a lot of cool stuff, but it is not forced.

Especially now with free rebirths and even free storage services (for accounts under a total age of 30) you can do it all without spending a dime. Does it help? Of course.

Consider the game free, but with an option to spend money to take less time to do things. That's fine by me! :)

Beau

I found this a great help, it's a post that's in the mmorpg.com forum, that shows how to play it for free, it's a bit dated, but still worth a read.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/209783/Free-forever-play-is-possible-very-deep-guide.html

Originally posted by lildarkk

First time I played Mabinogi I enjoyed it and used to watch hens fight foxes but my internet was slow so I couldnt play. After I got faster internet...

Well, I came back to Mabinogi like a month or so ago and I've been enjoying it. I'm a level 30 human but I feel like I made a good choice.
    Sometime halfway through my gaming time I get bored, so I switch and go mining, sell some ores and make some easy money.

Overall, I agree with everything that has been posted and I hope I will enjoy Mabinogi alot more!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the internet. A huge downside of the game is that, if you don't have a good internet that doesn't lag, you're goin' to have issues fighting.

Since everything is fast paced real time fighting, you have to be able to charge skills and do everything exactly as you need. If your skill takes even a fraction of a second longer than you want to charge, you get killed. This gets VERY frustrating for archers and mages alike, because they can't use their skills to the fullets, and you pretty much die in every other fight.

If you still want to play despite your internet, I'de advice being a "tank". (Someone who has masses of HP and Defence so they take close to nothing in damage when hit, and pretty much never has to heal) I'm pretty much a mage tank. Maxed out Lightning Bolt rank (Rank 1) and currently working on defence and other HP increesing skills. (Currently rank 6 defence and rank 8 combat mastery.)

All you really have to rank mainly for a tank, is to get your defence up as high as possable. It's extremely easy to train and the AP cost isn't too bad. (Compared to most higher class skills anyway)

The easiest way to train defence, is to simply spam the skill against mimics. I know if you don't have a good internet, this can be harder to do than you would think, but mimics only hit 1s to the general player, and they attack twice before they circle you to attack again. So you may get hit once, but the first one you can defend, then charge it again after gettin' hit.

You can pretty much use that tactic on any monster that has only defence skill (meaning they don't use any spells or especially smash) and deal very minimal damage.

Either way, someone who has a slow internet kinda like myself (It's not always slow, just spikes alot) will mostlikely have issues playing Mabinogi well.

I only have time to post a wee response, or the dogs will kill me if I don't get them on their walk!

For combat I only concentrated on Smash, and have rank uhm..8 or 7 I think? And Combat Mastery is level 9. But after my re-birth I am loving blacksmithing, so all points have been going into that. Refining is kind of hard to level, though!

Beau