Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 3?

DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

I've looked in to this game and it reminds me of Fallout 3 gone MMO, I am actually quite interested in the game because Fallout 3 was a great game. I mean it has the same crafting system... scavenged parts ect to make different weapons and so on. The world events, ect all similar. I would guess Fallout 3 fans would love this game.

Comments

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Well I like Fallout 3 very much and am looking forwards to this, so yes that's a good bet. :)

There might be an actuall Fallout MMO one day too, I know there's strong rumors of one already started but somehow I don't think it'll ever come out... Maybe if Bethesda gets the rights, I don't know. Though I'd expect Bethesda to do an Elderscrolls before a Fallout MMO, I mean not Bethesda but ZeniMax their parent company have opened an online studio.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Cynthe

Well I like Fallout 3 very much and am looking forwards to this, so yes that's a good bet. :)
    There might be an actuall Fallout MMO one day too, I know there's strong rumors of one already started but somehow I don't think it'll ever come out... Maybe if Bethesda gets the rights, I don't know. Though I'd expect Bethesda to do an Elderscrolls before a Fallout MMO, I mean not Bethesda but ZeniMax their parent company have opened an online studio.

If I remember right, Interplay still holds the rights to create an online version of Fallout.  Bethesda only purchased the rights to a single player version.

Fallen Earth will be the closest thing to a Fallout MMO for quite some time, and it is VERY close to it.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • TadamitsuTadamitsu Member Posts: 118

this is the other game I have high hopes for this year.

if it is cool like fallout as a true mmo oh I could get excited about that.

played:WoW and Eve off and on 5 years
    Tried:CoH/V, PoTBS, War, TR, STO, FE
    TOR is likely to rock

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

fallout 3 looks years ahead to me, but this is an mmo. and for an mmo it looks very fun. gameplay does not look nearly as fun but hopefully the multiplayer aspect will appease me.

My blog: image

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by DubonEngeven

I've looked in to this game and it reminds me of Fallout 3 gone MMO, I am actually quite interested in the game because Fallout 3 was a great game. I mean it has the same crafting system... scavenged parts ect to make different weapons and so on. The world events, ect all similar. I would guess Fallout 3 fans would love this game.

That is actually how I stubbled onto this game. I was browsing Earthrise forums and someone mentioned the rumor of a Fallout mmo and someone said Fallen Earth and your right on. What makes fallout great to me (3 atleast) is the 50-60s feel to the setting, like Bioshock aswell.

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62

Fallen Earth will be more like Fallout 1 or 2, as far as I've seen. More small towns and not just seemingly endless ruins. I like that though... when it comes to this kind of apocalypses I'm more fascinated by the rebuilding of civilisation than of the destruction itself. I think we've got some great times ahead!

About the Fallout MMO: It is in production and may have been sinceas far back as June 2007. Interplay has a contract with Bethesda ... these are the terms known to the public:

• Development must have started within 24 months of the date of the contract (which was 4.4.2007)
    • Interplay must raise at least 30 million USD designated to the games development and release (although Interplay has stated that 75 million USD will be needed to actually make and release the game).
    • The game must be finished at the latest 4 years after development has begun
    • If any of those terms fail to be met, the rights for the game will go to Bethesda

In April 2008, Interplay announced that the game is in development and announced in April 2009 that they are working together with Masthead Studios to make the game. Masthead is currently working on Earthrise, as I'm sure many are aware of.

So, this means that the Fallout MMO needs to be out on the market by 2011, but according to Wikipedia (my source for the other statements as well) it may be out as early as July 2010. But you know how MMO releases work... I'm sure it won't be out until 2011. Then again, that's only two years away.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by sandolainen

Fallen Earth will be more like Fallout 1 or 2, as far as I've seen. More small towns and not just seemingly endless ruins. I like that though... when it comes to this kind of apocalypses I'm more fascinated by the rebuilding of civilisation than of the destruction itself. I think we've got some great times ahead!
    About the Fallout MMO: It is in production and may have been sinceas far back as June 2007. Interplay has a contract with Bethesda ... these are the terms known to the public:

Development must have started within 24 months of the date of the contract (which was 4.4.2007)
    Interplay must raise at least 30 million USD designated to the games development and release (although Interplay has stated that 75 million USD will be needed to actually make and release the game).
    The game must be finished at the latest 4 years after development has begun
    If any of those terms fail to be met, the rights for the game will go to Bethesda

In April 2008, Interplay announced that the game is in development and announced in April 2009 that they are working together with Masthead Studios to make the game. Masthead is currently working on Earthrise, as I'm sure many are aware of.
    So, this means that the Fallout MMO needs to be out on the market by 2011, but according to Wikipedia (my source for the other statements as well) it may be out as early as July 2010. But you know how MMO releases work... I'm sure it won't be out until 2011. Then again, that's only two years away.

Another thing to add, is that anyone expecting the Fallout mmo to look like Fallout 3 will be sadly disappointed. Everything in Fallout 3, including art assets, character design, the way V.A.T.S. use was designed, etc., etc., is owned exclusively by Bethesda.

So more than likely the Fallout mmo will be stuck either in isometric view like the originals, or will have to have a whole new look in 3D to set it far apart from Fallout 3 and any other future Fallout games made by Bethesda, which means at most you'll have Earthrise charcters and art with Fallout slapped on it..

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Development must have started within 24 months of the date of the contract (which was 4.4.2007)
    Interplay must raise at least 30 million USD designated to the games development and release (although Interplay has stated that 75 million USD will be needed to actually make and release the game).
    If any of those terms fail to be met, the rights for the game will go to Bethesda

Another thing to add, is that anyone expecting the Fallout mmo to look like Fallout 3 will be sadly disappointed. Everything in Fallout 3, including art assets, character design, the way V.A.T.S. use was designed, etc., etc., is owned exclusively by Bethesda.

So more than likely the Fallout mmo will be stuck either in isometric view like the originals, or will have to have a whole new look in 3D to set it far apart from Fallout 3 and any other future Fallout games made by Bethesda, which means at most you'll have Earthrise charcters and art with Fallout slapped on it..

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Bethesda has a huuuuuge economic interest in this game, even though they aren't the ones making it. If Fallout Online is a screwup, it will damage the sales of a potential Fallout 4. I'm quite sure that, if the Earthrise engine isn't working to Interplay's satisfaction, Bethesda will give Interplay cheap access to their engine.

Besides, if the game has been in development for close to two years, you'd think they've already moved most of the work from the drawing board to the game itself.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Bethesda has a huuuuuge economic interest in this game, even though they aren't the ones making it. If Fallout Online is a screwup, it will damage the sales of a potential Fallout 4. I'm quite sure that, if the Earthrise engine isn't working to Interplay's satisfaction, Bethesda will give Interplay cheap access to their engine.

Besides, if the game has been in development for close to two years, you'd think they've already moved most of the work from the drawing board to the game itself.

If you look at the stipulation Bethesda gave Interplay as far as being allowed to make the mmo, you'll realize Bethesda was more than likely hoping Interplay never pulled it off so the last of the Fallout rights would go to Beth. The time and financial pre-requisites Bethesda set for the mmo rights shows this.

And Fallout Online failing wouldn't hurt Bethesda one bit as far as singleplayer Fallout is concerned. Everyone knows the difference between Interplay and Bethesda.

In fact, from a business perspective, the mmo failing would greatly benefit Bethesda. Not only giving them the last rights to the Fallout franchise ( including the residual rights for selling the original Fallout games ) by buying out Interplay after it's final bankruptcy ( and the mmo failing WILL bankrupt Interplay for good ) but also allowing Bethesda to either make it's own step into the mmo realm or license the rights to a different company which would give them more control and a better cut.

I havent played fallout 1 or 2. I really love 3 because of the freedom of the quest line and ability to just roam and customize your character.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Cody1174
    I havent played fallout 1 or 2. I really love 3 because of the freedom of the quest line and ability to just roam and customize your character.
    Take my advice and play the first two. You won't be disappointed if you keep an open mind on the graphics (which for isometric I find them quit pleasant).

All games should take pages from Interplay on RPGs. They're all fantastic.

Originally posted by uohaloran

Originally posted by Cody1174

Take my advice and play the first two. You won't be disappointed if you keep an open mind on the graphics (which for isometric I find them quit pleasant).

All games should take pages from Interplay on RPGs. They're all fantastic.

Actualy might do that, Im in between mmos currently.

EDIT: Fallout 2 looks like a great game, but I just can't play it now. Maybe back in my Diablo 2/ Age of Empires: RoR days but graphics and slow point and click I can't handle. Im so spoiled with the new faster rpgs. Really wish I would have picked it up back in HS, well I take that back If I played Fallout1/2 while in Highschool, I prolly would have had C average and on 3rd string football lol. Asheron's Call and SWG= 2.5 gpa in college lol.

Just watched the newest trailer again... the scorpion, the haircuts. the setting. This is as close as you can get to a Fallout 3 mmo.