Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions about returning...

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

First of all let me say that I have all three games, but not the expansion.  I have Prophesies, Nightfall, and Factions.  From what I remember I already have a lvl 20 Monk and Mesmer (Can't remember exactly what their secondary classes are) and since I stopped playing MMOs after WAR I haven't really found one that caught my interest.  Being very bored of single player games I was wanting to try out GW again because I remember how much fun I had playing it before...

Now my questions.  Where on earth would I need to go for good PvE and PvP action? I remember there being some places in factions where there was large scale PvP but I don't remember what it was called or much else about the game. Any tips on where to go and what to do would be greatly appreciated.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Good PvE is a very much personal, my suggestion is to start a new PvE character and try it out. Although it may sound boring the PvE areas are more or less made in the same way, being either a "standard map", mission, elite mission or dungeon. Try them all out and see which one you prefer the most.

Regarding PvP there's a number of different PvP arenas but no big annihilation zergfest such as seen in WAR or WoW, biggest annihilation arenas are 8v8. Anyway here's a list of all PvP arenas:

• Random Arenas (RA) - You make a build and will then be grouped together with three other people and then be pitted against four other random people. The idea is basic - fight till one team is all dead. If you win you'll be pitted against another team, and that goes on until you lose. After 10 victories you'll fight against TA teams.
    • Team Arenas (TA) - It's just like RA fights except now you get together a group of 4 and then join the game. Like RA except really requiring less luck of getting together with a decent team and more skill, typically considered harder than RA.
    • Heroes Ascent (HA) - Organized teams of 8 are pitted against each other in relic runs, annihilation fights or capturing and holding different points. You will further or later (depends on hall's timer) get to the Hall of Heroes where you'll fight against two other teams in relics runs, king of the hill or capture points.
    • Guild versus Guild (GvG) - Two organized teams consisting of at least four members from their respective guilds are pitted against each other. If you manage to kill opposing teams Guild Lord you win. Apart from the Guild Lord there's a flagstand where you can place the flag to, after 2 minutes of holding it, get a morale boost and also NPCs placed in the base. Various different tactics are used and this form of PvP is typically considered the "highest form" of PvP and hardest one.
    • Hero Battles (HB) - Sometimes called 1v1 because it's you and 3 heroes versus on person with 3 heroes. Capturing points gives a faster point regeneration as well as various different bonuses, killing another hero or player gives 1 point. First to 20 wins. Microing (i.e disabling and manually using skill for heroes) is common to get around heroes stupidity.
    • Fort Aspenwood (FA) - One side, the Luxon one, are attacking the Fort and the other side, the Kurzicks, try to defend it while at the same time collecting amber to build up God's Vengeance. If Master Architect Gunther is killed before God's Vengeance is build up the Luxons win, and if God's Vengeance is built up fully before the Luxons manage to kill Master Architect Gunther the Kurzicks win. The size of the group you're in is eight and it's random which ones you'll come with.
    • Jade Quarry (JQ) - Capture points with a little twist of relic running. Two teams of eight are pitted against each other and one team wins when they've collected 10 Jade Slabs. When holding a Quarry a Jade Carrier (siege turtles for Luxons and Juggernauts for Kurzicks) will spawn and that will carry Jade Slabs from the Quarry to the base, and then walk back to the Quarry for one more jade slab.
    • Alliance Battles (AB) - Two teams, one Luxon and one Kurzick, of 12 are fighting against each other. By holding capture points you accumulate points and first to reach 500 wins. Typically fighting players is avoided and instead a common tactic is to run in circles on the map killing the NPCs at the capture points and then capturing the capture points. Of course some ganking and mobbing (what it's called when you start trying to kill opposing team) is common, but not the main point.

That's all PvP arenas in the game and as you see the biggest one (AB) never becomes a big 12v12 fight. Hopefully that answers your question.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Thank you so much for the help! Things seem like they haven't changed too much.  My only questions were how do you get involved in the Jade Quarry and FA battles? I think I belong to Kurzik since thats the team I go with during alliance battles, just don't know how to get into those other battles.  Also is there just a spot on the map for random arena or is it called something else?

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by dreamer05
    Thank you so much for the help! Things seem like they haven't changed too much.  My only questions were how do you get involved in the Jade Quarry and FA battles? I think I belong to Kurzik since thats the team I go with during alliance battles, just don't know how to get into those other battles.  Also is there just a spot on the map for random arena or is it called something else?
    Theres an NPC in both your guild hall and in the Great Temple of Balthazar to jump straight into them, OR you can actually get into the Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood areas in the Echovald Forest and both have quests that take you there if your on a PvE character

imageimage

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Thanks so much for your help! My other questions would probably be; how do you know exactly how to start the campaign? My main character (Healing Monk from factions) looks like she has already done some of the Nightfall campaign but has nothing in her quest log so I have no clue where to pick up if I wanted to actually start it.  Also is the smaller island where the Jewel of Ishtan is a starter island or is that where you technically have to begin the campaign?

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by dreamer05
    Thanks so much for your help! My other questions would probably be; how do you know exactly how to start the campaign? My main character (Healing Monk from factions) looks like she has already done some of the Nightfall campaign but has nothing in her quest log so I have no clue where to pick up if I wanted to actually start it.  Also is the smaller island where the Jewel of Ishtan is a starter island or is that where you technically have to begin the campaign?

Technically the campaign begins on the island for beginner characters, and for a characters from other campaigns it begins with Consulate Docks. If you want to do the beginner missions you could just run to the towns they start from and do them there, but typically these missions don't add much to the storyline and are only really done for titles, or fun. To see how far you've got look at the latest (in the storyline) mission you've done and then see where to proceed, or see if you got a mission you've not done.