Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open space PvP a MAJOR part of JGE

2»

Comments

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by Viktaal

Originally posted by Rydeson

This game will NEVER survive if you allow griefing and ganking in open world.. Plain and simple.. Incase some of you are illiterate, there are multiple ships available for play, many are unable to defend themselves from so called PvP pirates..   THIS is not a space pirate game, and if the devs fail to assure the protection of non PvPer's.. this game will die in 6 months and all you PvPer's will be flying around LOOKING for only 50 people left in the game.. LOL

Actually, back in the aerly beta stages it was open PvP. meaning I could fly into your main home sector and gun you down. When they decided to make it a safe zone is when ALOT of people quit. You make it sound like any game with open PvP would be a warzone but it isn't.

When a well known pirate squad or player would enter a sector the defense channels setup by the players lit up. Many times large groups would form instantly and begin the hunt. Some of the best battles I remember happened while chasing a pirate squad back into their home sector. Just hearing a certain squad on the loose got everyone involved in the fun. Great times.
    I still remember a squad ran by a guy named Druss. Just the sighting of one of his squad members would get the chat channels flowing with adrenaline and excitement. Multi faction groups would form and hours of fun would ensue. Hell, even well known miners/haulers would join in on the chase.

In other words, in a game like this the community is capable of controlling griefers and it adds a certain amount of fun on it's own. Safe zones with limited PvP zones tend to scale back the player driven policing and community involvement.

Darkfall is a good example of the people that an open pvp world attract. If the devs want a niche game populated by griefers, gankers and a few more interested only in pvp, they follow you guide. If they want a more complex game, populated by many more players, they make the game in a manner that it will not appeal to gankerd and griefers. It seem that they like the second option better. If you dont like it you not forced to ply the game. You have JGC or darkfall to pay open pvp.
    P.S. Even CCP know this. When in the first month (or second) one of the pirate corp coordinate all their resources to made quickly a big ship capable to take down police ships in high sec areas and go there to podkill newbies. Next day, in the maintance period, ccp updated patrol ships with bigger ship, pirates down, "safe" zone again and people not interested in been ganked continue subscribed.
  • NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Having been in the testing of JGC since the early days of only 4 sectors and knowing the group of developers fairly well.  Any of you who think you know HOW the game needs to be developed need to chill and wait until you try it before whining about it one way or the other.

The game will have safe zones and will have open PvP areas.  There will be benefits and limitations in both sectors that will make a player who bounces back and forth between the areas as viable a part of the community as those who stay inside the PvP area and those outside the PvP area.

The game is designed to be expandable as well.  If it turns out there is more space needed in either PvP or the safe areas, they can be added on the fly as well as sectors can be expanded with content.  The one thing that caused me to leave the JGC game after the release was the petty whining squabbles that happened between the squads that most veterans call "Player Driven Content" or "Policing".  It was petty, whiny, awfull, and for the most part very childish.  1 day you log on and you are out their championing the small uy, the next day the trolls on the boards were stating how you had been killing the defensless children of some other group. 

No one is sure about the factions being restricted (as are most MMO) from having multi-squad factions.  Will have to wait and see how that plays out.  Until then, this game has great potential.  It is very different from any MMO currently released tho it does have some flavor of various games out there.  Which one doesn't?? 

I know I cannot convince the people against PvP that PvP is fun in the JG universe nor can I convince the PvP only crowd that safe areas are needed for a mixed populace.  Even the wild west had areas that were calm cool and under control.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by NovaKayne

Having been in the testing of JGC since the early days of only 4 sectors and knowing the group of developers fairly well.  Any of you who think you know HOW the game needs to be developed need to chill and wait until you try it before whining about it one way or the other.

The game will have safe zones and will have open PvP areas.  There will be benefits and limitations in both sectors that will make a player who bounces back and forth between the areas as viable a part of the community as those who stay inside the PvP area and those outside the PvP area.

The game is designed to be expandable as well.  If it turns out there is more space needed in either PvP or the safe areas, they can be added on the fly as well as sectors can be expanded with content.  The one thing that caused me to leave the JGC game after the release was the petty whining squabbles that happened between the squads that most veterans call "Player Driven Content" or "Policing".  It was petty, whiny, awfull, and for the most part very childish.  1 day you log on and you are out their championing the small uy, the next day the trolls on the boards were stating how you had been killing the defensless children of some other group. 

No one is sure about the factions being restricted (as are most MMO) from having multi-squad factions.  Will have to wait and see how that plays out.  Until then, this game has great potential.  It is very different from any MMO currently released tho it does have some flavor of various games out there.  Which one doesn't?? 

I know I cannot convince the people against PvP that PvP is fun in the JG universe nor can I convince the PvP only crowd that safe areas are needed for a mixed populace.  Even the wild west had areas that were calm cool and under control.

Good points, we will have to wait and see what happens. Eve is a good example of a mixed game. As much as it annoys CCP, around 70% of their player base seldom if ever leaves high sec.  So eventually, they started to create more PvE content,

As for the "wild west" much of it wasn't that wild at all. Its rather bad for ones health to start fights when most of the people around you are armed, and experienced in the use of their arms. The major towns and cities tended to be "wilder" because of ...You guessed it, gun control. Other wise known as victim disarmament.  Gun laws only disarm the law abiding citizens. The very LAST people one should want to disarm. Unless one has another agenda in mind.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • solnicarissolnicaris Member Posts: 148

I always hold my judgement until I actually try the game. The only thing I hope for is that there isn't too much instanced combat and they level it more open based PvP and have some safe areas of course but leave the game open for us to fight it out :)

Come and checkout my website:
    SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Community Gaming Resource
    Discuss EVE, JGE, BP, Infinity, Taikodom, FL, FS, HW, WC, X and more

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by Agricola1

This game will NEVER survive if you allow griefing and ganking in open world.. Plain and simple.. Incase some of you are illiterate, there are multiple ships available for play, many are unable to defend themselves from so called PvP pirates..   THIS is not a space pirate game, and if the devs fail to assure the protection of non PvPer's.. this game will die in 6 months and all you PvPer's will be flying around LOOKING for only 50 people left in the game.. LOL

This is also an MMORPG not a single player, you want to mine or haul valubales then hire protection or join a guild. It seems that since WoW more and more people are playing MMORPGs that expect a single player friendly experience, unfortunately they get it more often than not. Leaving an MMO that is just a load of wank!

See EvE Online, most sucessful space mmo with still growing community and POSSIBILTY TO BE GRIEFED EVEN IN SAFE SPACE

Originally posted by wilq

This is also an MMORPG not a single player, you want to mine or haul valubales then hire protection or join a guild. It seems that since WoW more and more people are playing MMORPGs that expect a single player friendly experience, unfortunately they get it more often than not. Leaving an MMO that is just a load of wank!

See EvE Online, most sucessful space mmo with still growing community and POSSIBILTY TO BE GRIEFED EVEN IN SAFE SPACE

Certainly. Its possible to get ganked in highsec, but if one uses common sense its VERY rare. Concord has been beefed up to the point that NO ONE escapes such attacks. But make no mistake, Concord isn't there for protection. They are much more about retribution.  But thats entirely different from the wide open gankfest that a *small number* of people want to see implimented.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Certainly. Its possible to get ganked in highsec, but if one uses common sense its VERY rare. Concord has been beefed up to the point that NO ONE escapes such attacks. But make no mistake, Concord isn't there for protection. They are much more about retribution.  But thats entirely different from the wide open gankfest that a *small number* of people want to see implimented.

I really enjoyed Ultima Online when it first came out.  Obviously was full pvp outside of guard zones.  Had full looting upon death.

I've never really been a fan of open pvp since.  Perhaps its a change in the type of player or just the size of the market now.  EvE pretty much stands out...  You can make a pretty long list of open pvp games that have failed.. or games that had to shut down, merge or run open pvp servers with almost no population.  While on the long term successful side you have... EvE.

That really wouldn't inspire me as a developer.

Beyond that... EvE exists... you can log into EvE and play EvE right now.  Why would anyone want another EvE when they already have one?  For the simple reason of having a "different" game... I guess is my stance on this one.

And you're right the issue is a small percentage of the 10 percent crowd.. that wants the ability to gank who they want.. when they want.  Good example is if you were around Pirates of the Burning Sea when it launched and read the Ofurms and say the crap going on in game.  Its the same people or clones of them.

This isn't about my "guild" or "org" against yours... Its I want to be able to kill miners that can't fight back again (hey it sounds just like UO...) 

I agree with the phrase "small number" because most actual PvPr's actually want to fight people who want to fight back... aka.. a challenge.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144

Dont get me wrong, but when i hear about "instances" in Space setled mmo, that game is right out my intrest

Dont get me wrong, but when i hear about "instances" in Space setled mmo, that game is right out my intrest

I don't mind instancing as long as it never hampers the PvP component of the game. AoC and L2 did a great job on PvP I thought in the fact they left the game open. I could probably see no combat in certain areas against your own faction but against another faction you should be able to attack them in all areas but in front of a station.

Originally posted by solnicaris

I don't mind instancing as long as it never hampers the PvP component of the game. AoC and L2 did a great job on PvP I thought in the fact they left the game open. I could probably see no combat in certain areas against your own faction but against another faction you should be able to attack them in all areas but in front of a station.

No. That should be reserved for PvP servers only. Other wise it turns in to the usual gankfest that we've seen in countless games. Those who claim otherwise, either have little experience, or enjoy ganking themselves.  There is a much larger market for PvE with limited PvP than the other way around.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

There is a much larger market for PvE with limited PvP than the other way around.

While this is true, I see nothing wrong with always on pvp in a faction based game, if done right... but that's the catch, doing it right.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

No. That should be reserved for PvP servers only. Other wise it turns in to the usual gankfest that we've seen in countless games. Those who claim otherwise, either have little experience, or enjoy ganking themselves.  There is a much larger market for PvE with limited PvP than the other way around.

I don't see the problem with being able to attack an enemy faction anywhere or at anytime. If space is divided into territories with each faction owning a part of space with a large neutral area, why not?

One thing that annoyed me about EVE was that factions (Amarr,Caldari,Gallente,Minmatar) meant absoloutely squat! It never made sense that I could fly into my mortal enemies space that we were at war with and trade in at his space hubs and so forth.

If people have a problem with being gunned down by their mortal enemy on sight well they should have different server types in my opinion, gay and non-gay server types! But will Netdevil do this? I doubt it, they've sold out and put in BGs already and will soon be making ships in the shape of my little ponies and carebears with the carebear mining laser stare!

It's a pity as this was showing some promise.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

If people have a problem with being gunned down by their mortal enemy on sight well they should have different server types in my opinion, gay and non-gay server types! But will Netdevil do this? I doubt it, they've sold out and put in BGs already and will soon be making ships in the shape of my little ponies and carebears with the carebear mining laser stare!

It looking like different server type are out, so you are right to doubt it. tho you could of done without calling them gay and non-gay, It's childish. BGs are fine as long as they don't end being the only thing people do (WAR, I'm looking at you). BGs should be for a break from other things in the game, or if you just looking for a quick space battle. Basically a mini game with-in the game.

Originally posted by lornphoenix

It looking like different server type are out, so you are right to doubt it. tho you could of done without calling them gay and non-gay, It's childish. BGs are fine as long as they don't end being the only thing people do (WAR, I'm looking at you). BGs should be for a break from other things in the game, or if you just looking for a quick space battle. Basically a mini game with-in the game.

In my opinion whenever you have a faction based game it should stay true to the style. The opposing factions are your enemy/allies and you should be able to attack on site. If people don't want to engage in that than don't go to confrontational areas. But I would expect that if my clan flew into enemy territory on a raid that I would be attacked. That is the fun part to go and go after your enemy. Now ND could make it interesting in game by announcing some temporary alliances where it is 2 vs 1 and things like that. If I remember the video on the BS's they are for training and ranking and things like that. It has no impact whatsoever on the universe and your faction. So let people play in them and leave faction battles the way they should be.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by Mykell

Originally posted by Axxar

as long as open content remains the quickest way to achieve things, overall, and provides the best things.

This is what worries me. I'm not totally sure the ND developers get this. Mythic certainly didn't.

In WAR i have tried just leveling by doing open RvR (taking keep, BO's, kill 20 player quests) but because there weren't enough of us as most people were in instances the diminishing returns they had from killing the same players over and over made leveling in open world pvp far far inferior than leveling in instances and it was still like this 3 months after release.

I hope ND doesnt make the same mistakes.

The market is never wrong.  If people preferred the instances, then that is a clear indicator that instances was not a mistake.  Perhaps a better solution than removing instances would be to somehow combine the open world pvp action from different servers so that the open world pvp areas had more players.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by lornphoenix

In my opinion whenever you have a faction based game it should stay true to the style. The opposing factions are your enemy/allies and you should be able to attack on site. If people don't want to engage in that than don't go to confrontational areas. But I would expect that if my clan flew into enemy territory on a raid that I would be attacked. That is the fun part to go and go after your enemy. Now ND could make it interesting in game by announcing some temporary alliances where it is 2 vs 1 and things like that. If I remember the video on the BS's they are for training and ranking and things like that. It has no impact whatsoever on the universe and your faction. So let people play in them and leave faction battles the way they should be.

Faction Game : WoW

Horde vs Alliance

PvE server.. YOU don't get to attack any player you want

PvP. server.. world pvp with limits

11,000,000 CUSTOMERS....... Someone did something right!!!