Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOVE!

pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

I can't believe I have neglected to try out Wurm for so long. Ever since UO went down the tubes I've been looking for another sandbox game to get lost in.

Created my account yesterday and I have to admit, this is it. The graphics are superb, I don't mind the non-animations at all, in fact, I like that better.

The fact that I get to do what I want, and run all the risks I want and not have to follow a bunch of linear quest lines that are absolutely pointless, makes me happy.

All the invisible walls from other games do not exist here, you can adventure out and do whatever you want and all the while, you need to keep yourself alive.

And I'm just playing the free version!

I'm totally subscribing to this game, the cost is nothing compared to the 3 - 5 crappy MMO's I usually have installed.

Anyway, for those of you thinking about checking it out but are turned off by the graphics you see on youtube or whatever, forget about all that. Graphics are pretty but solid game design is what keeps you playing, not graphics.

Lastly, this is the first game in many years that has me excited and salivating all day about it, hell, i'm more excited to get my farm up and running and tend to my crops.

Most people won't like this though, for all the reasons I like it, probably.

One of hte best features in the game is the lack of a map, quest indicators, and all that extra crap that you find in other games that just make it boring.

I think WURM is a game for intellegent and driven people who like a lot of risk with their game.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

Comments

• SmifhySmifhy Member Posts: 7

I agree.  Just went through a trial period of most of the newer MMOs.  Even looked at a few older ones I had played but they all seemed to have a plastic/contrived feel to them.  As you mentioned this is largely down to the prefab quests.  In comparison Wurm has a great 'raw' feel to it, no frills but substance where all the others lack. 

As far as the graphics I do wish they could be a bit less jagged at times but I'm sure I'll get used to it and its a small price to pay for the depth of gameplay that seems on offer here.  What settings have you used?  I've got most of the stuff turned up but things like trees and the grass are a little edgy looking.

Also agree that it obviously caters to a more intelligent crowd and is a breath of fresh air compared to what I've experienced with other online games.

Will definitely be subbing, just need to figure out which server to go through.

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

I have all of the graphics settings turned to the max, but I find when I'm mining or something that requires a lot of time in between tasks I'll reduce it down to a 1024x768 window so I can do my design/graphics work while listening to bluegrass and being a mountain man :)

After a few days in game, I think Rolf is a friggen genius.

Create a world.

Invite people to come.

Let the people shape the face of the world.

The only reason there are roads are due to people building them. Every action has risk or reward. The game truly gives the power over the player, directly to the player.

Lately i've learned how to make clay items like a flask and jar :)

I had another look around today and it's actually a bit better that I had thought.

Some areas are really smooth and the atmosphere in the sky is nice, especially

when it gets a little hazy and you see the sun through the grass climbing up a hill.

Agree though it's a pretty inviting world.  Made friends with someone today who

let me in their home as I help mine.  There's a nice interaction going on here

that I havent seen in other games.  You actually feel productive when teaming

up, it's not just about running quests to level over and over..

Btw I'm mining in between doing audio work, gives me a small break to rest

my ears as I initiate another mining action.   So for me it's a perfect way to

get some grinding in as I work in the real world.

Yeah I can't help but feel completely free and liberated. I felt myself automatically inclined to run up to people in the glitterdale area and say hello and just be social. When a game isn't forcing you to always be social or quest or something, and you get to make the choice, it just feels nice ;)

Anyway, if you're playing on the free server, look for Dogmeat later tonight :)

I'm really hoping I can find a partner to start a farm/mine/etc.. with. If you have 2 people doing the work, the work goes faster and you have some company :)

I agree it feels more natural to group up for these types of tasks.  I also appreciate not

seeing a ton of 'MMO speak', just regular chat.

I'm on the free one as well.  I'm up top of the mountain, you can see some wood 'steps'

that help you climb up.  Inside Cythe's house working on the mine, so if you see us on

give us a shout.

My nick is the same as here.

Awesome! I've been hanging out near the cobblestone road that leads out of glitter, I set up a mine right on the mountain where the road goes down but for some reason I can't mine any further so I'm looking for a new place to go work. I actually figured I'd work on clay objects and foraging/cooking for the next few days. i'll come pay you a visit later.

Cool ya come up to see us, if I'm not on I told Cythe you'd prob be dropping by.

Awesome, i'm subscribed for the next 2 months now. I'm so looking forward to seeing whats in store, and also at the prospect of meeting you guys :)

I need to as well, heard there is skill bonus for being premium, or maybe

just being on the prem server, not sure.

I'm on now 8:20gmt if you're around.  Cythe flattened an area for me to build on right

next to his so have some space to build now.

Ah! I can't play till I get home from work, for some reason the firewall here stops the updater from working, probably best for my work life though :)

I actually had to leave the game due to some work as well.

Won't be on much for the next week as have a guest in town so

will be on later next week.  You can still talk to Cythe though

if he's around.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

This is one of the greatest games I have ever played... I get bored out of my mind during repetitive tasks, but once a project completes it all seems worth it (also better when 2-3 are working on one goal as well). I am currently on the Golden Valley server helping out in a settlement with various things, but I am totally going to stick around, and someday I will for-sure join the premium servers. Most likely Wild, and I will try to organize some kind of collective of my own when I do. This game is the best simulation MMO ever... at least until I get my world-building MMO made, heh.

Keep an eye out for GTwander in GV!

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• in-a-snitin-a-snit Member Posts: 4

I just started playing a few days ago and find it interesting to say the least. It is very hard as a newbie though. I went exploring on my first day...bad decision..as I read after to stay around the area for a week or so to get your bearing.s Unfortunately you cant do that without some kind of map or to just explore and remember.  After falling down a steep incline I took a lot of damage but managed to heal but now find I cant get back to my start point. But I'm sure I'll be there soon as I was attacked by a bear and couldnt get away and have died. I'm sure when I get back I wont have anything left but will see what happens.

I really like the concept of the game as you can really do the things you want and there are no quest lines to follow.  I guess I'm geting away from that stage of play and looking for something more realistic and this seems to be the closest so far.  I guess I'm what is considered a dyi'er and probably wont fit well as I've read comments that its better to belong to a village or some community. Unfortunately you end up working for someone else and I dont see the advantage to that.

I dont mind the grind and would like to be able to maintain at least.  I hope this is possible with this game.

• GurubearGurubear Member Posts: 41

GLad you guys like it

New things happening, infact just around the corner, including a new server - so keep playing and if you need help, give us a shout!

Sound and Music for anything

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

i like this game alot... but i hate that my village moved:( my friends are not there anymore and i dont know what to do now:( i also i hate that i can never obtain the so called subscription:( thats my worst thing:(

Sorry to hear that!

Why are you having trouble buying premium? You should be able to buy it very easily at the shop using paypal -  you just have to login with your player name and password:

http://store.wurmonline.com/

As for your friends, if Wurm proves anything it is that it is easy to make friends there! Get travelling around and chatting to people.

• MarkerMarker Member UncommonPosts: 77

good guru, good guru. another scam game and u make big advertising. where is the truth of whats behind Rofl decision to Homes server PVP areas? why he didnt let us CHOSE if we want pvp or not? Now u tell me he will launch a non pvp for us? we HAD 2 non pvp servers. and he made 3 pvp. So dont sell me lies for my money

I leave a trace in your life

Originally posted by Marker

good guru, good guru. another scam game and u make big advertising. where is the truth of whats behind Rofl decision to Homes server PVP areas? why he didnt let us CHOSE if we want pvp or not? Now u tell me he will launch a non pvp for us? we HAD 2 non pvp servers. and he made 3 pvp. So dont sell me lies for my money

Dont you love it when someone on the internet accuses people of telling lies and scamming? I miss the days when people knew how to be polite.

Well, Rolf realised, as he has been very open about, that changing the game as he did was a mistake - not for what he wanted to do with the game (and what was always the plan), but becasue he did not take into account the large number of players, including me, who have no interest in PvP at all.

What it has proved is that there is a market for games that appeal to the casual gamer - the gamer that wants the Wurm style environment, but does not want the large commitment to time that goes with a game where you can raid, or has no interest in PvP at all.

So, Rolf has taken the critisism on the chin and is paying for a new server that will address just the sort of game you want, but more so than the original "home server" code allowed.

This is actually a really good move for wurm - it can happily offer both types of games while using the same style of environment. Though I am certain that with 20/20 hindesight, Rolf would have gone about it in a different way.

If you are so bitter about it that you wont play it - well that is your choice. A lot of people are going to have a lot of fun though.

i know how to get the subscription... i just dont have parents willing to let me have it... and for my friends i need that pay thing to meet them again... and i found a bounch of new friends revently:P

Sadly, we have not found a solution to the parent thing!

Though, Perhaps Ikea could be persuaded to sponsor the Furniture in the game!!!

Or maybe Mercedes would like to sponsor the carts?

Maybe get apaving company to sponsor the paths .....

The possibilities are rather interesting!

• LlamageddonLlamageddon Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Gurubear

Dont you love it when someone on the internet accuses people of telling lies and scamming? I miss the days when people knew how to be polite.

Well said Guru. I must admit I came across Wurm just after the home server raiding fiasco and so was only playing on Golden Valley at the time. I personally can't wait for the new freedom server and I don't see why people are complaining so much. Even though Rolf made a mistake in changing the PvP dynamics across servers it was the fact that the Wurm community is in such close communication with the developers that mistakes like this can quickly be remedied. After realising his mistake and discussing the problem in depth in the forums he has pretty much tailored the new server design to exactly what the majority of players have been asking for. Not only that but he started to rectify the problem almost as soon as the community started to voice it's concerns.

People may be upset that the servers suddenly got changed in a way they didn't like but I am surprised there are people who can't see beyond that and be happy that there is at last a game out there that really listens to community feedback and in turn changes the game according to that feedback. I'm not talking about nerfing or not nerfing certain items etc. but actually changing the main game mechanics and environments based on what people are asking for. This is just an extention of Wurm's vision of an online world that is almost entirely shaped and created by the player base and that is the reason I think Wurm is the best MMOG out there to date. As someone said ealier in this thread, graphics don't count for anything if the gameplay isn't up to scratch and that is why Wurm is so much better than anything these large publishers and development studios have to offer.

Go Wurm! :)

• MarkerMarker Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Llamageddon

Originally posted by Gurubear

Well said Guru. I must admit I came across Wurm just after the home server raiding fiasco and so was only playing on Golden Valley at the time. I personally can't wait for the new freedom server and I don't see why people are complaining so much. Even though Rolf made a mistake in changing the PvP dynamics across servers it was the fact that the Wurm community is in such close communication with the developers that mistakes like this can quickly be remedied. After realising his mistake and discussing the problem in depth in the forums he has pretty much tailored the new server design to exactly what the majority of players have been asking for. Not only that but he started to rectify the problem almost as soon as the community started to voice it's concerns.

People may be upset that the servers suddenly got changed in a way they didn't like but I am surprised there are people who can't see beyond that and be happy that there is at last a game out there that really listens to community feedback and in turn changes the game according to that feedback. I'm not talking about nerfing or not nerfing certain items etc. but actually changing the main game mechanics and environments based on what people are asking for. This is just an extention of Wurm's vision of an online world that is almost entirely shaped and created by the player base and that is the reason I think Wurm is the best MMOG out there to date. As someone said ealier in this thread, graphics don't count for anything if the gameplay isn't up to scratch and that is why Wurm is so much better than anything these large publishers and development studios have to offer.

Go Wurm! :)

I'm more then polite guru. Im in Wurm since 2004. I think buying with REAL MONEY, time to play a game where DEV didnt posted plans before purchase is SCAMMING, and tell me after Oh this was the plan and we didnt count ur opinion is something for friends made. I know most of veterans dont playanymore. I post here just to let others to CHose if they realy want to be part of a game who will reset every 2 years maybe and lose time in a virtual unfinished world.

And Dont worry Gurubear, i wont play wurm anymore, i had enough resets that i think i lost count since 2004 i think i had 4 or 5 if i remember correctly. Each time starting from scratch. Aand is a real fact that i did see.The last Map had the most player base Wurm ever had in 4 years since i joined. MAX 200. And this is something to count when u chose a game. The player Base and the fun having playing the game. While u might have fun even when u play in unfriendly enviroment like WIld, RESET server by DEVS after u work alot to do what u want is something I WONT TOLERATE in games.

And suing Rolf for this is time consuming and money. Tho is something i think to do in future.

I leave a trace in your life

wow... 200:D well there are few times that there are over 150 players... but ONCE there was actually 319 people online... i even took a screenie of the special occasion:D but i dont remember where i have it now:( i know i burned the pic out on its own cd and forgot it:(