Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese WoW provider The9 faces bankruptcy in wake of Wrath woes

coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

doh!
http://www.wowinsider.com/2009/03/14/chinese-wow-provider-the9-faces-bankruptcy/
"The applications were rejected due to content that didn't meet requirements, including a city raid and skeleton characters; the submitted version did not contain WLK's Death Knight first hero class..."
http://www.massively.com/2009/03/10/wrath-of-the-lich-king-rejected-thus-far-by-chinese-government/

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Yeah, they were forced to change the model for the Forsaken because you could see their bones. I dont know, I think it was about content being too scary for little kids or something.

Im sure, Blizzard will do what they can to help The9 stay in business and get WotLK approved.

• If The9 is going under based on WoW they obviously just gave up on every single one of their other games. They are one of the top distributors of games in China, and regulated via their government. I can understand that there might be grief due to bones (IE religious reasons) along with other moderation requirements implemented on the game, but it is sad that china is able to hold out a whole year for BC, but yet getting wrath after a year is to long?

• Originally posted by namelessbob

...I can understand that there might be grief due to bones (IE religious reasons)...

Since when is Communism a religion?

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by namelessbob

...I can understand that there might be grief due to bones (IE religious reasons)...

When hasn't Communism been a religion?

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

Yeh its not as if they are going to give away this chance to make some easy coin..

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

seen at massively

The9 reportedly loses WoW license in China to NetEase

www.massively.com/2009/04/15/the9-reportedly-loses-wow-license-in-china-to-netease/

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by namelessbob

Modern China isn't communist in anything but name anyway.

However, the  objections to dead people have nothing to do with communism, but are instead related to far older Chinese cultural influences, such as Taoism.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah, they were forced to change the model for the Forsaken because you could see their bones. I dont know, I think it was about content being too scary for little kids or something.
    Im sure, Blizzard will do what they can to help The9 stay in business and get WotLK approved.

Yeah im sure Blizzard will do anything in their power for sure.  If they go bankrupt and there is no more WoW in China then there goes what 6mill subscribers, which is about half of their current subs.

Originally posted by cukimunga

Yeah im sure Blizzard will do anything in their power for sure

the article I recently linked states that their rival NetEase is getting the license

www.massively.com/2009/04/15/the9-reportedly-loses-wow-license-in-china-to-netease/

• HarmonianHarmonian Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah im sure Blizzard will do anything in their power for sure.  If they go bankrupt and there is no more WoW in China then there goes what 6mill subscribers, which is about half of their current subs.

I'm pretty shure when they made those messages saying "We've reached 11 million subscribers" I think they were refering to that version of the game AKA english.

I'm right. Get use to it.

Originally posted by Harmonian

I'm pretty shure when they made those messages saying "We've reached 11 million subscribers" I think they were refering to that version of the game AKA english.

ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44698/Blizzard-On-Sales-StarCraft-II-Beta-Quality-New-MMO

at more than 11.5 million subscribers .. at a 55-45 split between east and west