Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JG:E will be employing battlegrounds, is this true?

2»

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Found this click it seems that there will be plenty of scenarios/arenas/instances in JGE,

"In a game as combat-intensive as Jumpgate Evolution, good AI and PvP mechanics are crucial. Battle Space, the term given to instanced PvP scenarios within Jumpgate Evolution, promises to be very unique and very rewarding. "We’ve been doing lots of iterative work on making sure that PvP experience is really fun," explains Hermann. "I think a lot of PvP in MMO's is either like arena style like three on three and very strategic, or it's maybe ten or so on a side. We want to go to a scale much bigger than that."

It seems instanced battles will be named "battle space". They never mention open world combat once, so this is all starting to look like a load of wank in my opinion!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Found this click it seems that there will be plenty of scenarios/arenas/instances in JGE,

"In a game as combat-intensive as Jumpgate Evolution, good AI and PvP mechanics are crucial. Battle Space, the term given to instanced PvP scenarios within Jumpgate Evolution, promises to be very unique and very rewarding. "We’ve been doing lots of iterative work on making sure that PvP experience is really fun," explains Hermann. "I think a lot of PvP in MMO's is either like arena style like three on three and very strategic, or it's maybe ten or so on a side. We want to go to a scale much bigger than that."

It seems instanced battles will be named "battle space". They never mention open world combat once, so this is all starting to look like a load of wank in my opinion!

The details of how exactly world pvp is going to work have not been released but we do know that it will be the focus for rewards personaly and also the nation. We do know also that station capture and control will play a key role in this world pvp and when you have control you need to stock it to keep it stong. Things could change however. This part of the game is being worked on as we speak, in the alpha friends and family testing phase. go to: http://jumpgateevo.wikia.com/wiki/Jumpgate_Evolution_Wiki for more info about the game

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I know what you're saying freejack but it seems more and more that this is the way it really is,

ND DEVS: "We want lots of instances such as Warhammer and WoW"

Gamers: "We want open world PvP with the simulator"

ND DEVS: "Sure and we'll have instances with rewards too"

Gamers: "That would destroy open world PvP, we'd rather have open world PvP and the simulator like JGC"

ND DEVS: "Sure but we want instances, it's fun you'll like it!"

Gamers: "No we don't want instances with rewards, it destroyed open world PvP in Warhammer why are you doing it here?"

ND DEVS: "Warhammer was a success and we want instances, it's fun you'll love it!"

Gamers: "**** this, who wants to play Freelancer?"

ND DEVS: "Errrm hello? Is anyone there? Come play our game, it has instances and is fun! Here gamey gamers, lovely instances!"

Quiet .... .....

ND DEVS: "We're consolidating servers, here gamey gamers. We've got good populations now and lots of lovely instances!"

Quiet ...

ND DEVS: "Call John Smedley, I need to pay my morgatge. Here lovely CEO, cheapy cheapy MMORPGs for you!"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• PezheadPezhead Member Posts: 149

Gotta say, the sims sound like an awesome feature from the first Jumpgate... kudos for the development and implementation of them.  As for battleground type instances, they should be treated like they what they are-lets use WoW for  example.  Ok, so you play a game of capture the flag!  and you WIN!  What kind of rewards should you get?  I think you should get a .... TROPHY! Thats right, a big fat statue with your name pasted on it that does nothing but collect dust and look cool to show off.  

You hold a building for ten minutes.. and WIN THE GAME!!   I think you deserve... a set of cutlery for that building you defended so you can serve food for your friends in that building next time you are there.  

Ok.... so open world pvp.   You gank people, defend your cities fight tooth and nail, bite, rip, spit and hit, there is no victory, but there is satisfaction from doing something for your faction(IE capturing forts).  Now rewards for this could be as little as vendors that appear only in captured forts or as big as super awesome omfgpwned  equipment.

oh and whats the point of BG's in a game like this?  If you are going to work hard at getting uber awesome equipment and parts, if there is no risk, why would you do it?  To look cool?  Common... that's just plain retarded

It's almost 2010, and I am just not wiling to tolerate clunky graphics while being told that "gameplay is more important than graphics". That excuse won't wash with me any more. I expect my games to have both good graphics and good gameplay.
    -Quote Isoke(VN boards)

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Calind0r

Look at the top 5 most subscribed MMORPG's right now:
    1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    3. Lineage 2
    4. Aion (could possibly be in the number 2 spot, its subs won't be published until Q2 2009, but its been announced over 550 000 subs in Korea alone).
    5. EVE

Your list is wrong.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

instanced battles? blech.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Derros

I dont have any problems with battle ground type instances as long as there are NO rewards, Zero.  WAR showed us that even if you make world pvp vastly more rewarding, as long as battlegrounds are convienient, quick and give some ok rewards, players will flock to them.  Having them as sort of a practice area seems good.

As long as players flock to them in preference to open world PvP it seems to me to be a no brainer to support them.

The players have voted with their feet.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Calind0r

Look at the top 5 most subscribed MMORPG's right now:
    1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    3. Lineage 2
    4. Aion (could possibly be in the number 2 spot, its subs won't be published until Q2 2009, but its been announced over 550 000 subs in Korea alone).
    5. EVE

Your list is wrong.

Not to mention what he wrote in the rest of his post wasn't exactly correct either.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

I think the focus is on another issue.

How many players will be able to fight each other in open space?

Why there is this limit?

Does having battlegrounds have any relation with that?

People dont talk about it, devs dont talk about it.

If they dont accept and express they have a problem, they wont even try solving it.

The answer is: they are incompetent. They cant have massive numbers of players with the kind of gameplay control they are offering, because they are limited technically.

Stop discussing battlegrounds. There is nothing they can do about it, open space battles will be severelly limitted, thus battlegrounds is a cheap way to bypass the problem.