Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class system or Lvl system for TOR

There has been alot of debate throughout the community about whether the class system or the lvl system would be best for TOR. Being a SWG vet myself, i am all for the class system and just want to see the glory of SWG, when it had the class system, restored with something new. I would like to see where everyone stands on this subject and why you think whichever you pick is better. Please, this is a viable discussion, keep the flaming to a minimum.

Tried: EvE, DnD Online, LotRO, WAR, AoC,
Played: UO, SWG(pre-cu), GuildWars, FFXI, WoW
Liked: UO, SWG, GuildWars
Disliked: WoW, FFXI

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Skill system.

Because:

I always feel that a class based system only makes a "class"! But a skill system makes a character. And in SW i really want to play a character. Example the Bounty Hunters we have seen so far. They have been treated as a class instead of characters. Bounty hunters have flamethrowers, so if anyone get a flamethrower...they become a bountyhunter??? You get my point.

So i want a character with skills so he could hunt bountys if he wanted to.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Skill based all the way. I think the way it originally was in SWG was the best way because like many others will say, it allows you to make a completely unique character. ANd no, just adding skill points so that you can have a higher chance of hitting a crit doesn't cut it. Being an Bounty Hunter in that game was interesting because you never knew WHAT you were about to face. THe person you were about to fight could specialize in any of the multiple melee professions or any of the multiple ranged professions. The only class I would say SHOULDN'T be that customizable would of course be jedi and when I say that I mean on weapon choice. Of course jedi had their own  many different styles of lightsaber and force fighting.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Falcon2KFalcon2K Member Posts: 52

Class System

Because:

I want TOR to become a real KOTOR online.

I want to experience the same or nearly same immersion in a storyline tailored around my character that bioware has proven to deliver with games like Baldur's Gate/NWN/KOTOR. This just wouldn't be possible with an undefined, open sort of character created by a skill based system.

I also think bioware would waste 15+ years of expierience in level/class-based game mechanics and i don't think that would be wise.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

This is a good question, to be perfectly honest I don't mind either of them as long as they are implemented correctly. My belief is that Bioware will be going with a level-based system, however a skill-based system does sound pretty cool as long as they don't go overboard, perhaps there should be some limitations to certain 'archtypes'.

If I had to make a choice I'd say skill-based, simply because it sounds a bit more interesting than your usual level-based MMO. However I don't know how a skill-based game may affect Bioware's story-telling.

O_o o_O

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

It seems kind of stupid to even think about it being skill based because they have already released info in a class. However, I hope within each class they have skill trees so you can customize your class. You are going to see some sort of skill system within the classes since every game with classes has done this in the past 9 years. However, I just hope its a little more complex than what you see in WoW, WAR, Diablo II, etc.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

TOR is gonna be a class system with a really diverse skill system for each class. You should see enough diversity, more than NGE or WoW, and the stories to go with it all.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Xnxax

There has been alot of debate throughout the community about whether the class system or the lvl system would be best for TOR. Being a SWG vet myself, i am all for the class system and just want to see the glory of SWG, when it had the class system, restored with something new. I would like to see where everyone stands on this subject and why you think whichever you pick is better. Please, this is a viable discussion, keep the flaming to a minimum.

www.swtor.com/news/article/20090320_001

If they have a class named Bounty Hunter is because the game is class based.

• MMOLIFE-AndrewMMOLIFE-Andrew Member UncommonPosts: 50

I believe the Skill system works out really well. Back during the "Fun days" of SWG, the skill system was way better than the grind all day lvl system. It was you had to get a certain amount of XP to get a skill, and if you wanted to change templates you could. Best Gaming System I have seen so far. I believe this is better than the lvl system. But I figure they know what they want to do right now, so it doesnt matter what I choose.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Both BioWare's KOTOR and KOTOR2 were quite good class/skill systems.  While you did have 'classes' they didn't lock you into certain skill sets or weapon/armor sets.  You could customize your character quite well and I would be happy with something similar in SW:TOR... though I do admit I tend to FAR prefer a pure skill tree system like EVE or a profession system like in the old SWG.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I have to thank the OP for posting something other than the crap I have been seeing on this board. Its good to see a real topic that everyone can discuss. Thanks.

To answer the question, I would like the Class system. For a game that is focused on story, it will help immerse and rely on your other players to create a team atmosphere. Now, I have never played WoW ever... They keep trying and I keep saying NO! But I hate to use this comparison cause I use it all the time. But I felt that FFXI was great at this. It was primarily a PVE MMO, but I am hoping that they will implement various PVP and RVR battles which they say they will. Crossing fingers!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

This is how I look at things when it comes to mmo's, but everyone experience is different than mine and interpretation.

Class system = The way the MMO interprets the way you will play the character and game already, its already calculated.

MMORPGS that use the class base system are usually what we call THEME PARK mmo's.

Skill system = The way YOU intend on playing your character in a variety of ways, more freedom, less linear and better roleplay.

Where as Skill based mmo's usually revolve around sandbox type mmorpgs.

I voted Skill Based.

But I dont mind the thousands of players that are like me as long as the game is fun if its Class based. 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Class based all the way.. SWG was lame lame lame..  Everyone that has played that game with an HONEST point of view will tell you that ALL combat characters became ONE template..   Each time SOE tried to balance classes (skills) everyone ran to re-do their template and optimized their dps, mitigation or healing..   It doesn't matter how you want to paint it or not, there will always be "the best way" to run your toon..

Just like in WoW that has talent trees.. depending on your role of healer, tank or dps, their are optimate "specs" aka templates to use.  The same existed in SWG and will exist in ALL games at all levels.. To deny it would be dishonest..  So I choose class based because atleast that will allow MORE unique characters to the game..  Imagine WoW as a skill base where you can pick and choose ANY skill from any talent tree.. What you will end up with is ONE template for dps, ONE template for tanking and ONE template for healing..   Currently IMO.. WoW has the best class/skill based system out there.. IF unigueness is what you're looking for..

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Rydeson
         Class based all the way.. SWG was lame lame lame..  Everyone that has played that game with an HONEST point of view will tell you that ALL combat characters became ONE template..   Each time SOE tried to balance classes (skills) everyone ran to re-do their template and optimized their dps, mitigation or healing..   It doesn't matter how you want to paint it or not, there will always be "the best way" to run your toon..
         Just like in WoW that has talent trees.. depending on your role of healer, tank or dps, their are optimate "specs" aka templates to use.  The same existed in SWG and will exist in ALL games at all levels.. To deny it would be dishonest..  So I choose class based because atleast that will allow MORE unique characters to the game..  Imagine WoW as a skill base where you can pick and choose ANY skill from any talent tree.. What you will end up with is ONE template for dps, ONE template for tanking and ONE template for healing..   Currently IMO.. WoW has the best class/skill based system out there.. IF unigueness is what you're looking for..

Well..If you are unsuccessful at making a skillbased system, the outcome would look like the above.
    And I agree with your observations, it is also what makes a skillbased system hard to make.

It must contain alot of skills and these skills must ALL be very useful, If that is the case you will have a working skill based system !!

And the company that may be able to pull off a thing like this may just be the veterans Bioware.

But as much as I hope for it, they will not do it, since they do NOT dare to do it..

The game will be class based like every other MMO..

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

After reading this i understand that you also need to remove the tank/dps/healer "thing".

So skill based with no weird tanbk/dps/healer would be my choose. Now i know it will class based ,and that i wont play it.

And seeing someone saying Wow have the best class/skill system, only make me sad. it seems as they have managed to remove 90% from MMOs and still got people to be thankful for the little stuff there is still left.

• valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62

I couldn't agree more. No dev ever said you must have 51 points in a tree to be playable but ask the forums and thats the response you get. I remember how much ridicule i got for wanting to spec my druid 0/31/30 so i could tank or heal a heroic. It fit my playstyle because i don't raid and it allowed me flexibillity to do dungeons which is what i like to do. Try discussing that spec decision in a group. You might get a sentence out before your booted.  

SWG was absolutely no different. The funniest part about SWG is that everyone unlocked all the skills just so they could play the only CLASS. I In my view classes assure that you have diversity. My definition of class is a set of core abillities based around a concept that is exclusive to said class. I have no problem with certain skills crossing classes as long as every class brings something unique to the game without being forced to spec, or train skill points to get core abillities.

What i am hoping they do with classes is make each of them unique. We know bounty hunter is sith only. I dont want to see the republic class called stalker or something that is the exact same thing with the exact same abillities. I'd rather they do the EQ thing like pallys and sk's. Two similar classes in concept (magic wielding tanks) that are the polar opposites in abillities.

One poster did bring up what i think the most important innovation to MMO's that hasn't been brought to the table yet. That's a way of getting rid of the holy trinity (tank, healer, dps). If you are able to do this, much of the class argument goes out the window.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

as its been said 100000000 times this is not swg if you want to know a little of how this will be go dl or buy whatever the 1-2 games and play them gg kthxbye fail less maybe?

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

I don't care, one way or another.

As long as it is a decent, somewhat diverse system in which I can play a role I want and add a little diversity to how I play it, I am happy. That can easily be accomplished in a class or a skill-based system.

Seriously. People need to stop trying to make out their preferred system as superior. The discussion is getting tedious and boring and even more pointless in this special case.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Simple Answer:

I prefer a skill based system, but I think in many cases it is harder for a MMO to do in a worthy way.

However, it's obvious that Bioware has created a class system, and with their decision to add a serious story element to the game, then I think they made the absolute right and best choice for their game.

(A good choice for a game is more important that what I'd prefer, after all, I play games to have fun.)

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

They have already announced a lvl/class based system. So this poll goes in the "I wish it was more like SWG" bin with the 12 million other posts/polls just like it. Hopefully, its like the KOTOR games where there is still some room for customization within the skills of the class.