Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts

calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Okay this is my disjointed thread on this mmo and what it means to me.

Hi all,

I like alot of people are looking forward to this game, personally I think Bioware could pull this off but there is some concerns.

See its not the developers or Lucas arts, its the people that this kind of game will attract.

We are roleplayers love the SW universe love to solo we enjoy keeping in character and playing.

I am 38, my wife and friends about the same age we all roleplay and all love mmo's.

But alot of the atmosphere gets ruined by the "I R D00dz" crowd and the "Leet items of uberness" also the "UbR guilds".

Not talking about age but maturity, its why if i'm not leveling or grouping with friends i've known for years I will spend alot of time soloing (mmo's does NOT mean forced grouping).

I have seen so many mmo's ruined by the power gamers, it was like in SWG about 1-3 people in the canteena's were there to rp and dance the rest were just there to grind xp afk etc..

I really hope i'm being too harsh on the comunity I really hope that with the bioware take and the amazing storylines and quest arcs that people will want to "live" the game not beat the game.

Its all beyond most sadly.

I R wana lightsabR!!!

I wana be SytH

I Gotta be UbR Jedi!!

Lets remember for a jedi fighting was the very last option, taking of life something that had a deep meaning to them. They fought to create a lasting peace not "Ohhh whens the next Raid!!! I R need some lootZZ"

Lets swing it around you want to be a Sith ??

Sith..I may rp a sith but I doubt we will see even 1% of the rest of the sith actually play a sith realisticly, these guys and girls are evil, not your every day evil they exist in corruption, dark desires, base needs, use people, destroy them, throw them away they are nothing to you but bloody steps on the stairway to power.. and if sith are played right then even your best friend will stab you in the back to get ahead, if played right sith guilds will be very very dangerous to even there own members..

To put it simply a sith is a very lonely lifestyle, you don't need friends you don't need anyone nothing as fleeting as love all you need is pure unadulterated power..

So honestly lets see if we see anyone playing "true" to the sith or jedi or will it all just go carebear

I also hope that player housing is in this game, see as a roleplayer what could be better than going out facing a challenge coming back with a trophy to display on your wall, kitting out your house, having friends over and talking about the days adventures, yes guild houses is okay but its very impersonal, I want my own space..

A power gamer joins a game to beat it, will grind and smash everything will raid and beat every system on the game then whine on the forums for more end game content or move to the next game..

A Roleplayer lives within a game and if the dev's give us a few crumbs like social clothing, a house, furniture we can sit on we will stay with that game till the lights on the servers are extinguished.

Comments

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

We can only hope for some of that. Doubtful we can get all of it.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

I really do hope this game provides tons of enjoyment for most of you... but I'm very much concerned that this game is meant to be disposable and ultimately meaningless as an MMO.

MMOs just have something that no other genre can provide.  You are a character in a virtual world with a massive amount of other people/characters.

Unfortunately, I really don't think this game will emphasize "you feeling like a character".  It seems to be geared towards BioWare's story and not your story.  This would work great for a single player game, but an MMO is inherently different.  There's nothing more immersion-breaking to me than knowing that "MY story" is the same as every other class X, and that ultimately I can't do anything meaningful other than what is provided by BioWare.  It'll definitely be a fantastic single player story, but the MMO part is just such a letdown.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

It sounds like a lot of you would simply rather play SWG than the game SW:TOR will be.

Guess what, SWG is still open and you are all welcome to play it at any time. Even if you're looking for the old pre-NGE game, there are some of emu servers popping up to fill that need.

You need to understand that this game will not be SWG 2 no matter how much you want it to be. Considering how much of an epic failure SWG ended up being, Bioware is doing the only intelligent thing by choosing not to use it as a model.

Believe it or not, I DO understand your frustration. My favorite MMO was Ultima Online and I have spent 8 years looking for a game to fill that void. Eventually, I came to the realization that it wasn't going to happen. Once I did that, I was suddenly able to appreciate other MMOs for their unique qualities instead of hoping that they would be like UO.

The point is that SW:TOR is not going to be a sandbox. Some of you may QQ, but that isn't going to change anything. But hope is not lost! You may still thoroughly enjoy the game if you let go of the feeble hope that it will be SWG 2 and appreciate it for what it WILL be. Bioware is a great company and deserves the benefit of the doubt here.