Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Take and Opinion on WAR

These are just my thoughts on the game currently, please do not flame, but I do welcome criticism.

Quests: Ive always liked the questing system in WAR. It tells you the area to go to but doesnt pinpoint where it is which doesnt make it too easy and gives you the chance to explore a litle bit.

PvP: Its sad this entire game is based on PvP cause ive never been partial to PvP in most other MMO's. But the RvR system in WAR is nice but flawed. I havent seen any huge siege battles but I imagine they are fairly large if they make the servers crash (Read the recent patch notes on the cap level being changed for Siege battles) right now there isnt a reason to do any RvR except for the satisfaction of killing other players. Beyond that thats just about it. There has to be a reason for me to RvR beyond killing other players. Maybe PvP gear, or bonuses or something of the sort. And there are too few points to capture, and too few cities to defend. 

PvE: So far I like the PvE. I can quest on my own and if I chose to I can quest with others. And there are some dungeons to go into if you want to. But there need to be more dungeons or WAR is gonna scare away all the people who prefer to PvE. Forcing them to PvP to have fun is spelling doom.

Population: When the game first came out the population was small, but now its fairly large. If you check recent WAR population on the servers its in the upwards of hitting 1 million players. Which is impressive considering what WoW has been doing for years. I see people generally wherever I go. Be it a town or a main city.

Here is what id like to see in WAR in the future.

More dungeons. WAR also needs a gear deteriation system, right now I dont have to repair my gear at all and to be honest its irritating, most decent MMO's I play have a system like this, and it helps players determine risk over reward. Spawn zones should also be scattered beyond cities, when you die it might be nicer to spawn closer to where you died. And the death debuff you get is pathetic I can still own stuff with it on just not as fast. They could build upon that and have your armor deterriate as well.

I have many years of MMO experience and this is a game that has alot of potential. Id like to see it improve.

Comments

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Thank you so much for posting your opinion about WAR, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Either way, fantastic game with huge potential.  Few minor things here and there could be tweaked/fixed, agreed on that.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

There are rewards for PvP.  You can buy renown gear based on your renown rank, and there are some great purple gear rewards for area influence, as well as golds that drop when you take a keep.  There are also bonuses for objective and area control.  The best gear in the game is rewarded for obtaining RvR goals, or from PvP drops.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by MasterchiefM

Population: When the game first came out the population was small, but now its fairly large. If you check recent WAR population on the servers its in the upwards of hitting 1 million players. Which is impressive considering what WoW has been doing for years. I see people generally wherever I go. Be it a town or a main city.

Based on the above, I'm tempted to say you've never actually played WAR.  Upwards of hitting 1 million players?  I'd be surprised if 300k people play WAR, including trial accounts.  The population has dropped quite a bit since launch.

I currently play WAR, and it does have potential, but they need to improve things fast if they want to recover.  They need to flesh out pvp a bit, and greatly improve upon the pve part of the game.  There is just too little to this game right now.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Based on the above, I'm tempted to say you've never actually played WAR.  Upwards of hitting 1 million players?  I'd be surprised if 300k people play WAR, including trial accounts.  The population has dropped quite a bit since launch.

I currently play WAR, and it does have potential, but they need to improve things fast if they want to recover.  They need to flesh out pvp a bit, and greatly improve upon the pve part of the game.  There is just too little to this game right now.

I'm also confused what signs he derived that from. 7+ rounds of server merges would indicate at least a trend of not growing (since if it was why close down servers you'll need later).

Anyway, we know the game was down to a little over 300k at the end of December from EA's financial report, down from roughly 850~+ probably.

• Population on individual servers generally have increased a lot since a few months after launch, but this isn't due to WAR's overall subscribers, but due to consolidation of the population of various servers. I don't think the population overall is much more than 300k, if that (not that this is a low amount by any standards).

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

When Warhammer Online came out, in the first months it had over 800k people. Now it is at under 300k. There are three explanations for him posting this (in error):

1) He accidentally meant to type "When the game first came out the population was huge, but now its fairly small." OR

2.) He didn't play it at launch, hasn't read anything about launch populations and wasn't aware that Warhammer closed 64 servers down completely since that time and need to shut down 7 more OR

3) He's actually playing this game here and is posting on the wrong forum by accident.