Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The community stunts

I just have to say I think they have made the best and most exciting community effort I've ever seen with these codes/clues and cryptic messages they let us try to solve. I first started researching the game when it was announced a few days ago and stumbled on this timeline:

www.crygaia.com/cgn/portal_content/timeline.cfm

It lets new followers catch up on the conspiracy-flavored "treasure-hunt" they created about 2 years ago. I wish I had been there for that, but the event continued just a few days ago with an e-mail sent to some fans. It was really exciting to follow and try to come up with a solution to the puzzle. It was also extremely nice to see how into it all of us seemed to be, almost like a good forum roleplay! :)

I just had to give them cred for creating something like this *caugh*(create? It's real of course)*caugh*. Besides being really fun it also breeds an intelligent and friendly community that can work together and accomplish something besides bickering.

I know almost nothing about the game (because there is little announced about it) but I love the general concept/story and setting. Also this community stunt tipped the scales and made me hype it a 10 despite not knowing much about it.

Having played and loved "The longest journey" when I was a kid I am very excited to see what they manage to create with this game. I think FunCom is in their right environment with this title.

Comments

• GenjingGenjing Member Posts: 441

Yea definitely... I haven't played any of Funcom's or even Ragnar's other stuff, but I hope this philosophy of community teamwork continues into the game itself.

Lookin solid.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Indeed.

I was just saying this to a couple friends earlier today, that TSW's community seems to be shaping up to be a pretty cool, mature group of people (the occasional FC bashing post notwithstanding).

I think (and hope) that it continues on into the game itself. If the game's content maintains the sort of puzzles and obscure clues that require something of an attention span to figure out (or at least attempt), then that may be the case. As long as it doesn't implement FFA PvP with full loot and all that, then we won't have to worry about the crowd that would invariably attract (and we all know the type).

Going on the precedent set by TLJ, Dreamfall and various aspects of Anarchy Online of being deeper, more "thought-provoking" games, I tend to think (and again,hope) TSW will carry on in that tradition.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• kverikkverik Member Posts: 55

Heh, to bad stormious it was pretty fun when they were posting the little treasure hunt a while back, I managed to stumble upon the game a while back and have been waiting for its release/ official announcment for quite a while although whenever I managed to solve a clue myself and I went to give out the way to solve it to the other forum go'ers some one had beat me every time but it was still quite fun, in fact I would say thats the most fun I have had on a forum in a while. 

I hope that some more puzzels and such will be put into the game to allow us to figure out I think it would give the game a certain edge. But yeah I agree, I had never seen that little time line must be new it is a nice little timeline in order to refresh my almost 2 year old memories.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

I'm more than positive that these "community stunts" will be shown to be infinitely more entertaining than the game itself when Funcom releases it's third mmo bomb upon the world.

Someone let me know when Tornquist does another singleplayer game that has no Funcom influence again. I'll pre-order that sucker.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

I'm more than positive that these "community stunts" will be shown to be infinitely more entertaining than the game itself when Funcom releases it's third mmo bomb upon the world.
    Someone let me know when Tornquist does another singleplayer game that has no Funcom influence again. I'll pre-order that sucker.

I'm still taking a "wait and see" approach, with a healthy dose of cautious optimism. I'm not going to say "Oh, it'll be fine." But I'm not going to say "It's gonna suck" either.

As for Ragnar's next game... He has pretty much confirmed there will be another chapter to the Longest Journey/Dreamfall series, and that it will likely begin in earnest when TSW is winding down. Actually... Here... you can read it yourself lol. I'm with  you on your sentiment though... The next Dreamfall release is a "sight unseen" purchase for me.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by WSIMike 

I'm still taking a "wait and see" approach, with a healthy dose of cautious optimism. I'm not going to say "Oh, it'll be fine." But I'm not going to say "It's gonna suck" either.
    As for Ragnar's next game... He has pretty much confirmed there will be another chapter to the Longest Journey/Dreamfall series, and that it will likely begin in earnest when TSW is winding down. Actually... Here... you can read it yourself lol. I'm with  you on your sentiment though... The next Dreamfall release is a "sight unseen" purchase for me.

I agree with this.  I'm not going gaga over TSW but I'm not gonna trash the game either.  Mainly this is because of Ragnar. 

FC has a great hype machine, but hype just won't cut it anymore.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by Paks

Originally posted by WSIMike 

I agree with this.  I'm not going gaga over TSW but I'm not gonna trash the game either.  Mainly this is because of Ragnar. 

FC has a great hype machine, but hype just won't cut it anymore.

I'm in the same boat. If it wasn't for Ragnar and the genre of the game, I probably would give this game more than a glance. I miss the days of games that actually where challenging. Puzzles are fun to solve in games, I wish more games had them instead of the same old "Go kill 20 X" "Bring me 20 Y" "Go Talk to Z" quests

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Completely agree!

Best marketing campain I have seen in years!