Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An idea...

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by qbangy32

Originally posted by Abrahmm

I feel like the only people that wouldn't like this idea would be the people that wouldn't be able to get on.
    I think it would also be an interesting social experiment to observe how people known to be intelligent act on an MMO. A lot of people attribute the terrible behavior seen in WoW to idiots and kids, but this would be an interesting experiment to test that.
    Oh well, having taken an official IQ test, I know I would make it on the server, so the idea doesn't bother me a bit.

I would contribute the behaviour seen in any MMO to anonymity, the power to behave in any way you please in the knowledge that your peers will most probably never ever meet you in person. This allows ppl to act and say whatever they please without being held accountable for thier actions.

Definitely, but I know not everyone acts out just because they can, and I think it would be interesting to see if there was a difference, for better or worse, in the amount of people acting out in such a situation.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• IchbenIchben Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by veritas_X

Originally posted by Ichben

Originally posted by veritas_X

Just out of curiosity, are you the same Ichben from that crap Starsider guild who thought it was a good idea to role up a fat avatar and stand at the Coronet shuttle droid dancing in your underwear?
    If so, color me not surprised.  If not, forget I asked and carry on with the implausible ideas.

Yes Veritas, it is I, the dancing man of Starsider, the dancing man of the galaxy. I miss those days, I really do. The reason why I chose to dance in the Coronet shuttle was to raise money for the new players in-game.

I was not trying to cause trouble, all I was doing was trying to make a difference. Sadly, the "gods" didn't see it that way and they used a lame excuse to ban me from the server.

I didn't feel to bad about it, when I was banished from the land Darth Smedley unleashed his NGE upon the world a month later, ruining a perfect world I was once apart of. Luckily, before my banishment, I was able to develop a strong fan base and create a popular and active yahoo group that has been going strong for nearly 5 years. I still miss the galaxy though, I still miss my world...

Ichben Einberliner

I miss the galaxy too, but I don't particularly miss seeing your half-naked Pilsbury dough boy avatar gyrating around the ticket droid like a plus-sized male stripper in a chef hat.  Congrats on the fanbase though, lol, I guess some people enjoyed it but personally I found you to be an eyesore and indicative of the need for the /ignore feature to remove avatars from the world instead of just blocking chat.

Although to be fair, the fact that I remember you after three years means you got the attention you wanted, so, well done I suppose.

/thread sign-off

Veritas, do not take this the wrong way my friend, but I think you are being extremely unfair. Yes I danced in the starport and yes I was barely nude, but what was I suppose to do? How else was I, a lonely dancer in a world full of warriors yielding blasters and sabers, suppose to combat the grave injustices being administred in game? The new players in game were neglected and ignoredm they were an afterthought and I had to do something about it, I had to dance to get people's attention about this serious issue I thought was wrong and unjust. I gave them money and I gave them cents, I put a smile on their faces when they were down, I gave them hope when hope wasn't around.

Veritas, you and others may not have liked my ways but they were my ways and my ways alone. I was a roleplayer Mr. Veritas, I roleplayed until I could roleplay no more. You know the art of role playing is fast becoming a dying craft. I wish someday my actions an efforts will bring back the days of old, in the meantime I will continue to dance and I will continue to ask the questions everybody else is to afraid to ask!!!!

Ichben Einberliner

facebook.com/Ichben.Einberliner

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Hey gang,
    What do you guys think of this idea?
    Should Blizzard create special servers where people must take an IQ test to enter? The people with IQ's 130 and higher will be allowed to enter. So, what do you think, is my idea dumb, or not?
    If you think my idea is stupid, please don't flame me too bad. I can take a happy ending but I can't stand a perfect storm...
    Ichben Einberliner
    edit: The person would not have to take the IQ test every time he or she wants to play the game. The IQ test would be taken, let's say, every 6 months.

You're a jelly doughnut?  Awesome, so was JFK.    

Being smart has nothing to do with being a jerk or thinking  some jokes are funny.   Ive done IQ tests and have gotten 130's  but I still love jokes that some people would call immature and for people that have low IQ's.  Even people 21+ servers you'll get jerks and people that love that kind of humor, cuz im 26 and I know people older than me that love the so called humor people say is for dumb immature people. But I would be down for a 21+ server.

Yeah people do get annoying with all the Anal insert ability jokes, the first few times it was funny but then it just got old. Just with any joke it gets old after awhile.   Its the people that don't know when to stop that gets annoying to me, but anyways.  Doing the IQ test will weed out most of the people that are annoying but it wont get rid of everyone that you may think is annoying

Shave and a haircut, thats my two bits.

Originally posted by qbangy32

I feel like the only people that wouldn't like this idea would be the people that wouldn't be able to get on.
    I think it would also be an interesting social experiment to observe how people known to be intelligent act on an MMO. A lot of people attribute the terrible behavior seen in WoW to idiots and kids, but this would be an interesting experiment to test that.
    Oh well, having taken an official IQ test, I know I would make it on the server, so the idea doesn't bother me a bit.

I would contribute the behaviour seen in any MMO to anonymity, the power to behave in any way you please in the knowledge that your peers will most probably never ever meet you in person. This allows ppl to act and say whatever they please without being held accountable for thier actions.

Definitely, but I know not everyone acts out just because they can, and I think it would be interesting to see if there was a difference, for better or worse, in the amount of people acting out in such a situation.

Well said Mr. Abrahmm, well said indeed. I think you(and a few others) are beginning to understand the true spirit of my idea. I don't want to isolate anybody, I simply want to find answers to questions that are mysterious and unique.

Ichben Einberliner

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

The Crimson King will not approve of this thread.

• Blackbandit9Blackbandit9 Member Posts: 55

Judging by the OP's past gaming experience, he may submit this request to Blizzard, but I suggest calling it a "WoW server for pre-CU SWG vets."  It's about the same thing as asking for a server with only high IQ players.

Even the naked dancing Wookiees were more mature than half of the WoW players I've encountered.

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

The Crimson King will not approve of this thread.

WisebutCruel, my father has nothing to do with this thread, he is dead to me, the bastard King is dead!! I want to forget about him for as long as I can so please Mr. Wise, please leave my memories alone before I say and do something I may regret later on. I want to focus on this thread, I want to focus on the NOW!!!!

Ichben Einberliner

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

IQ doesn't equal common sense. Just practical brain adjustment to a brain twister. You can have a 200 IQ and still be a worthless retard.

The only difference is people with high IQ's will defend their trash talking by making some excuse like "It's part of sociology and human nature, besides text isn't heard.  it's perfectly natural".

Also, I know a couple people with only around 105 IQ. They are bassically what is classied as a little below average. Yet they are A students. I have a 140 IQ yet I am possitive they could smoke me in ANY kind of quizz or knowlege test simply because they purely put the time and effort into learning, wheres I am a lazy bastard.

The reason? They have more determination and passion. Your IQ does not determine how motivated you are for something. So you can never judge overall knowlege, "Especially maturity" Based on IQ.

• SelekSelek Member Posts: 236

Maturity doen't come with intelligence.

Hitler was a genius.

Look at those top 5 honors kids in high school, do you want a server of only them?

My tip is: If your even a mild role-player, you will generally find older and more mature players on offical RP servers.

-Selek

Originally posted by Blackbandit9

Judging by the OP's past gaming experience, he may submit this request to Blizzard, but I suggest calling it a "WoW server for pre-CU SWG vets."  It's about the same thing as asking for a server with only high IQ players.
    Even the naked dancing Wookiees were more mature than half of the WoW players I've encountered.

You know BlackBandit, I don't think anything could replace the magic and wonder of the galaxy of old. All we can do is move on and hope for something even better than the "glory days of old." A "WoW pre-cu SWG" is a noble idea, but I'm afraid the gods on cloud Blizzard will be too afraid to attempt something so massive and ground breaking.

Ichben Einberliner

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Selek

Maturity doen't come with intelligence.
    Hitler was a genius.
    Look at those top 5 honors kids in high school, do you want a server of only them?
    My tip is: If your even a mild role-player, you will generally find older and more mature players on offical RP servers.

Being the top in highschool only means you try hard, not that you are smart. I was a lazy bastard in highschool, and had a terrible GPA. I had to ride my ACT score into college.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by denshing

IQ doesn't equal common sense. Just practical brain adjustment to a brain twister. You can have a 200 IQ and still be a worthless retard.
    The only difference is people with high IQ's will defend their trash talking by making some excuse like "It's part of sociology and human nature, besides text isn't heard.  it's perfectly natural".

How true. Can anyone say polotician?  Wasington is chalked full of intellectuals and look at how great things are today.

• Thorn4Thorn4 Member CommonPosts: 15

This would be kind of stupid because, someone could lie about their age so they could get above 130+ iq on the test, and just because someones not smart doesnt mean they are annoying, immature 12 year olds, you will still have immature kids with a high iq getting in the server.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

If it ever existed it would be like the Golgafrincham B-Ark from the Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy storyline.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

Hey gang,
    Should Blizzard create special servers where people must take an IQ test to enter? The people with IQ's 130 and higher will be allowed to enter. So, what do you think, is my idea dumb, or not?
    If you think my idea is stupid, please don't flame me too bad. I can take a happy ending but I can't stand a perfect storm...
    Ichben Einberliner
    edit: The person would not have to take the IQ test every time he or she wants to play the game. The IQ test would be taken, let's say, every 6 months.

If you are playing a MMO good chance you already have an IQ below 120.

If you asking this question about WoW players, there is a good chance you don't qualify for the servers you ask for.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Mackerni

Hey gang,
    Ichben Einberliner

If you asking this question about WoW players, there is a good chance you don't qualify for the servers you ask for.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Hey gang,
    Ichben Einberliner

What exactly are you basing this little tidbit on?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by skeaser

Hey gang,
    Ichben Einberliner

What exactly are you basing this little tidbit on?

A little thing called hyperbole.

Get this shit. Last time I took an "official" test (1994?) it said I had an IQ of 145. I dropped out of High School in 9th because after I had gotten held back in 8th and then 9th the second time, I had no interest in being the only asshole at graduation of legal age to both smoke and drink. After I dropped out, however, I realized I was actually gifted with computers. Long story short, 10 years later, I'm a lead software developer for a Massachusetts billing software company. All of my peers have (atleast) Masters degrees in CompSci. Two of them came out of MIT. Me? Nadda. I did like a day of college (seriously). Can I hold my own in a technical conversation? Damn tootin. Do they respect my ability? I'm usually the guy they come to when they can't figure shit out themselves and Google gives them a single-finger salute.

I'm a lazy bastard from the word go. I failed miserably in school because I cared more about my friendships and chicks and drugs than I did about doing my homework. At age 5 did I summarily usher in the new age of American Poetry by writing a sonnet even the Great Bard would cream his pants over? Nope. I was busy making mud pies and killing grasshoppers just like all you guys. Am I a genius? Yes and I can hold a decent conversation to boot. See.. average people just love to think genius comes with its shortcomings. Like being smart somehow makes you socially inept or inable to do your own taxes or tie your shoes. Its like they need genius to cause rainman syndrome because if it doesn't, somehow, there isn't justice.

I say: fuck justice and fuck you because I'm the life of the Goddamn party and I'm successful enough to wreck both my cars ten times and STILL be able to get season tickets to the Red Sox.

So... um.. yeah, I'll join your server.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Hey gang,
    Ichben Einberliner

IQ levels have nothing to do with it, you could be Einstein and still be an idiot.

• vefrodevefrode Member Posts: 13

High IQ doesnt make you not stupid. Just makes you think your smart. Your IQ is really only usfull until a certin age. It shows how well you can learn things. Not how much of a prick you are.

• horridhorrid Member Posts: 129

I like it!  Then the fights over purple loot will have complex math to back it up!   I would join to watch how quickly the drama would sink back down to other server levels.  My guess is about when the first purple loot drops for a PUG.  Welcome to western culture - where self fulfillment can be achieved (for a few seconds at least) by virtual purple loot!

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by horrid

I like it!  Then the fights over purple loot will have complex math to back it up!   I would join to watch how quickly the drama would sink back down to other server levels.  My guess is about when the first purple loot drops for a PUG.  Welcome to western culture - where self fulfillment can be achieved (for a few seconds at least) by virtual purple loot!

Try human culture. All MMOs depend on their playerbase losing perspective. The largest (pre-WoW) MMOs are ones you've probably never heard of because they're only in Asia.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

Accuse me for my poor grammar.

IQ has to do with INTELLIGENCE - NOT how SMART you are.

So YES, you COULD have an IQ of 283,572,105,720,857,085,128,452,705.... and you could play World of Warcraft. But due to how easy and over-simplified it is (like all popular MMOs), you'd probably level to 80 in a few weeks and get bored doing the same thing over and over.

A person who has an IQ of 130 is boardline genius. I don't agree with 95% of IQ tests that are taken: because I know that 130 is very, very rare. Like 5% of the population rare. Just like an IQ of 70 is rare. 100 is supposed to be, "balanced" and 50% of the population is more intelligent than you, the other half is less.

Intelligence has to do with your capacity to learn, whereas smart-ness has to do with your actual knowledge that isn't obsolete.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

If they did implement a high IQ server, it would mostly consist of people insulting each other for being stupid.  Think "Barrens chat" for maturity level, but with better spelling, and throughout the entire game.  It's not that this is what all smart people would want to do; only the people that would gravitate toward an exclusive, high IQ server (and often people who found ways to cheat the test).

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would seem that creating a server that required a high IQ would be asking for trouble. Discrimination comes to mind, cannot dicriminate against people based on inteligence. What would keep us from saying lets create a server just for people with both legs. Cannot segregate a gaming comunity in such a way. Blizzard would have a lawsuit the second they tried it.

Now just consider me saying different types of ways to seperate people on different servers. I'm pretty sure that will help to demonstrate how one simple thing can lead to others, even though IQs might not seem so bad. Once taken to other other groups of people it begins to sound worse and worse, where would it all stop? Race? Gender? Religion? Sexual Orientation?

With all that said just try to enjoy the game as it is, and try t find humor in the immaturity that takes place. If you are ambitious you can even try to educate them. Just never stoop to their level, and help make the world a beter place. Both in real live and in the online world.