Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you find the term "Huntard" offensive?

Comments

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

YES! YES! ACLU, SWOOP DOWN AND SAVE MEH, IT HURT MAH FEELINGZ!!!

No, it's not offensive. I actually think it's an insult a monkey could come up with. "Oook oook let's see, Hunter + retard equals...Retunt...Huretetard...OH! Hunt...ARD! HUNTARD! BANANA!!!"

I find it amusing, if anything else, and even though I was a pretty good hunter (yeah got that T5 crap and got in Gruul and the giant Elf guy's place before I quit 'bout a year ago), I sometimes used that term to refer to myself, and so did my guild. We never thought much of it. To those who do, you have to realize that it's a game. The best thing you can do is laugh at those who take it so seriously that they think they need to attempt to hurt you by insulting you. Just for the sake of insulting, that is. If you did something to deserve it, they could pick a whole bunch of terms like idiot, moron, etc. They're all the same. Most likely, to the one insulting, "retarded" doesn't have any special meaning, so it shouldn't to you either. It just means stupid.

Hm, yeah. That's what we kind of fail to do these days. Try to understand why the other person did something. I sure never called anyone a huntard implying that they were actually retarded. Just that they made a dumb mistake, if I was insulting and not jesting. If you asked the "insulter", "You know what retarded really means? You still think I'm retarded and not just stupid?" and he says, "Yeah", then slap the Report button on his ass. That could be offensive.

Oh well. This is one of those amusing combination of real world and MMO issues. 

• AshenHandAshenHand Member Posts: 40

Is Huntard offensive? First, lets look at the definition of an insult.

Definition of an “insult”

1.To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness.

2. To affront or demean:

3. To make an attack on.

4.To treat with abuse, insolence, indignity, or contempt, by word or action; to abuse; as, to call a man a coward or a liar, or to sneer at him, is to insult him.

In any criminal offence, one must prove the actus reas and mens rea for a conviction.

What would constitute an insult? Actus reas and mens rea, or just actus reas ?

1. The insult itself. Or the Actus reas, or “ act”

2. The intent to insult. Or the mens rea “Guilty mind”

Eg: If one were to say something jokingly … then the mens rea, or criminal mind is not present in such a speech because the INTENT was not to cause damage or insult. However, what would be the judge to determine whether or not the individual had the guilty mind or not?

If the guilty mind is not immediately thrown out, then the fact still remains, and the insult is received as such.

Hence, An insult is classified as an insult (and will be offensive and malicious) unless reasonable grounds suggest that the intent was not to be delivered as such.

However, if the recipient views the wording itself as offensive, then the act has taken place. This constitutes an “insult” as defined in the terminology.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by googajoob7

its just children and imature players use the term . warcraft really does need to have adult servers .

I think you'll find that a whole lot of people acting immature in MMOGs, or on the internet in general, are actually 18/21+.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

Whenever a class is buffed higher than the others, the other classes will get jealous and call them those kinds of things. Well, either that, or classes are nerfed too much, then they say, "this class is only good for [blank]".

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

People need to grow a damn skin. It's a word, big fricken deal. If you are being called it, you should be more worried about the fact that you suck at playing a hunter than you should be worried about it being "offensive". This "Politically Correct" crap needs to stop, it's ridiculous.

I agree, they are only words, I guess people forgot the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."   The whole PC thing is out of control,  I remember watching this Family Guy commentary and Seth said you cant even say Retard on Fox.  I grew up using the words, Gay, Fag, Retard, but they were used like hey man quit being stupid kinda way.   Louis CK has a good joke about using those words differently growing up, i wish I could find it.

But Huntard is awesome , heh Id rename my Hunter that if I could, thats if it isnt' taken already. heh.

PS..  the OP is a Jelly Doughnut.

• FyendiarFyendiar Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Originally posted by Abrahmm

People need to grow a damn skin. It's a word, big fricken deal. If you are being called it, you should be more worried about the fact that you suck at playing a hunter than you should be worried about it being "offensive". This "Politically Correct" crap needs to stop, it's ridiculous.

I agree, they are only words, I guess people forgot the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."   The whole PC thing is out of control,  I remember watching this Family Guy commentary and Seth said you cant even say Retard on Fox.  I grew up using the words, Gay, Fag, Retard, but they were used like hey man quit being stupid kinda way.   Louis CK has a good joke about using those words differently growing up, i wish I could find it.

But Huntard is awesome , heh Id rename my Hunter that if I could, thats if it isnt' taken already. heh.

PS..  the OP is a Jelly Doughnut.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I always hated this saying since it is total BS, the right words spoken at the right time can scar a person far more than any beating can.

Besides, what you are talking about is insults used in jest and almost nobody feels offended when it is clear it was indeed said in jest. The problem is that it is not always clear how people mean it in mmo's when all you see is the written word and not the tone it is said in. When we talk about the term huntard it goes even further since a lot of people do indeed think that most hunters are retards which is very annoying to all those good hunters out there.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

In my WoW days (release to the middle of TBC) I had the great privilage of raiding with several excellent hunters.

I also pugged with lots of brain-dead huntards.

Hunter != Huntard

If the term huntard and any connotation with the term retard offends anyone, I really don't care.

• HarmonianHarmonian Member Posts: 16

I think the term 'offensive' is a tad much but if I played a hunter and someone called me a huntard I would react. I wouldn't be like "Dude what the fuck is with you saying huntard! Thats such piggish and disgusting language! Your disrespecting my class due to one person and that ain't cool!" Anyone who gave that kind of response is a little to attached to their class. I would respond with something like "Hey how about you level a hunter then come back and call me that nubzorz". Its an insult but in no way offensive.

I'm right. Get use to it.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by brian72282

If you are insulted by the term it is likely that you are a part of why the term was created.  There are far too many terrible hunters that do not know what they are doing yet think they can top the parse as BM spec using steady shot, and make excuses when they don't.

More than likely the people that are upsetting you enough to find new derogatory names for them are probably having a ball playing the game and couldn't care less what you think of their gaming skillz.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110

Funny everytime i heard that i wanted to throw a dictionary at the person saying it.

• HarmonianHarmonian Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Glacial_Rain

Funny everytime i heard that i wanted to throw a dictionary at the person saying it.

Personally I haven't ever heard that used in reality before.  Shure in television but I have no memories as a kid of people saying that.

I'm right. Get use to it.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

if anyone gets seriously offended over the term "huntard" or any other thing similar....they really need to rethink their life a bit.

i mean honestly......... its just a stupid word, call them an asshole back...

Originally posted by b0rderline99

if anyone gets seriously offended over the term "huntard" or any other thing similar....they really need to rethink their life a bit.

i mean honestly......... its just a stupid word, call them an asshole back...

I'm really beginning to wonder how some people think...

When someone calls you something that makes you think it is natural to react with namecalling then you ARE offended.

What do you think "offensive" means? The most basic meaning of the word is "attack". It doesn't say anything about the serieusness of the attack. Taking offense to being called a huntard does not mean you go all emo about it, just that you don't like being called it. Nothing more, but also nothing less.

After 80 votes, 71% considers namecalling not offensive...it's a sad world we live in.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

lol.... name calling is just the last ditch effort of someone without any kind of reasonable argument. The guy (or gal?) was just pissed that hunters (and all the dps classes in the world) kill stuff faster and level faster. Why spend 10 minutes with a pally trying to kill a mob when you can do it in 10 seconds with a dps class (hunter, rogue, mage)? (I'm hyping of course, but in principle that's about how it goes).

Time is the one thing everyone on the planet has the same amount of.... and the reason I play dps in every mmo I've every played (wow, eq2, lotro, ac2, war). And skill in an mmo? are you kidding me? play a shooter, or chess, or even warcraft and there's some room for skill. An mmo is a chat room with something to do...

The intended insult is too pathetic to even respond to with injury...

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Fyendiar

After 80 votes, 71% considers namecalling not offensive...it's a sad world we live in.

Quite the opposite. It would be a sad world if the majority said they felt butthurt every time some clown on the intarweb called them names because of the character class they picked in a video game.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Quite the opposite. It would be a sad world if the majority said they felt butthurt every time some clown on the intarweb called them names because of the character class they picked in a video game.

This kind of nonsense is what is wrong in my eyes. Finding namecalling offensive does not mean going emo about it, does not mean feeling hurt because of it, it means seeing things for what they are. The word huntard was created for one simple reason: some hate hunters and wanted a word to insult them with. The very meaning of the word huntard has offensive written all over it. The question is if the word is offensive and the answer is a 100% certain yes, not because people feel hurt when they are called it, but because the person saying it intends to hurt.

But ah well, it seems I am talking to a brick wall of ignorance. The next thing we will see is people saying that it doesn't hurt to be hit in the face simply because we can hit back...

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

No... what it means is that people playing hunters are tards. 

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by Raystorm

The term isn't offensive. Ten year olds who roll night elf hunters ARE tards. I think it's an apt name for them.

Another person to add to ignore list.  No wonder many people dislike grouping.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Self righteous people are far more offensive.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Originally posted by LynxJSA

This kind of nonsense is what is wrong in my eyes. Finding namecalling offensive does not mean going emo about it, does not mean feeling hurt because of it, it means seeing things for what they are. The word huntard was created for one simple reason: some hate hunters and wanted a word to insult them with. The very meaning of the word huntard has offensive written all over it. The question is if the word is offensive and the answer is a 100% certain yes, not because people feel hurt when they are called it, but because the person saying it intends to hurt.

But ah well, it seems I am talking to a brick wall of ignorance. The next thing we will see is people saying that it doesn't hurt to be hit in the face simply because we can hit back...

Grow a damn skin. Who gives a shit what some random guy on the internet calls you? If you get this upset from what a stranger says about you, I would hate to see how you deal with anything in the real world. People like you are degrading this society into a mush of crap where no one can say what they want because they feel they need to tip toe around every word out of fear that they may "hurt" someone's feelings. They're just words. Grow up and deal with it.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Harmonian

Originally posted by Glacial_Rain

Personally I haven't ever heard that used in reality before.  Shure in television but I have no memories as a kid of people saying that.

heh I do not believe I have heard that in media. I remember that saying all the time back in elementary school. I think the point of it is you should never let someone get under your skin enough to hurt you. If you do then you just need thicker skin and toughen up.

Plus if they really try to hurt you with words you could always break one of their bones with a stick or stone >.> (dammit my smiley button vanished!)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by arctarus

how about Retardin?   XD

LOL, funny that your bring that up because im beginning to use that word more and more.

The fact of the matter is, Hunters were the most widely played class during vanilla and tbc (not sure about wotlk).  Because hunters have the largest pool of players, it is just natural that they also have the largest pool of bad players.  Furthermore, for years they were the hardest class to play competetively in pvp.

NOW, you see retardin being a more commonly used term.  Why?  Well in patch 3.0, Blizzard made Paladin's retribution class much more viable not only in pvp but also in pve.  No longer do people role a paladin only to utilize their great healing ability or their formidable tanking, but rather TO SMASH FACESSS1!!1!!!!!!!1 ZOMG!!! I 2SHOT PEEPS IN DA BATLEGRUNDS!!!!!

As a person who's main is a paladin, I have grown a deep hatred for ret pallies.  Im glad that Blizz fixed the tree, but I hate the wave after wave after wave of nubs leveling up pallies because its the flavor of the month yet that dont know how to play their class, but rather just their spec.  AND YOU KNOW WHATS EVEN MORE INFURIATING is when said retardin complains that there aren't enough tanks or healers around.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by orlac

Self righteous people are far more offensive.

"Retard" as used in this context is the disability equivalent of a racial slur.  Racially prejudiced language cannot be justified nor can language that is prejudiced against people with disabilities.  Its about time people stood up and said no to prejudice.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

And yet people still wonder why we end up with games like Darkfall and Hello kitty online.

Edit:

All the poster who think that," Huntard" is not an offensive word, are posttard's!