Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another great feature about DAOC

vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118

Although this game has and will never be what World of Warcraft is/was it doesn't have to be. Besides being the best PVP/RVR game in the world *fantasy genre'* it's always been per say mature. What i mean by that is NO WOW KIDDIES.  I don't know why it's never attracted them but i'm thankful it hasn't. In all my years of play 99 percent of every person i've met has been well mannered and plays for the fun and commraderie of realm vs realm warfare when going outside the PVE element. This game offers really the best of both worlds.

Again this game was released before parents stopped paying for babysitters and started buying there kids MMO subs instead.  If your looking for a game i recommend giving it a try. It's really not like any game that's been currently released. Its in a league of it's own.

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The game has a nice learning curve to it, but easy to understand once you get the hang of it and is probably one of the few last mmo with that old school feel. Todays new MMO gamer wants everything FAST and NOW.

When I log into this game, it feels like I am in a MMO and not FPS game. Granted, FPS may work with some MMO's but I like the old school feel of DAoC better..

Games like Anarchy Online has the same effect on me as DAoC does with that old style of gaming that I like.

When I hop into DAoC, it feels like I am contributing to the world and to the playerbase and not to me personally.

Off the record..

SWG Pre-Cu was my fav of all time, however I can going to say I love DAoC as my fantasy setting style game which I can come back to at any time and not be disappointed (yet).

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I'm sure I am in the minority here but I actually liked WAR alot more than DAoC.......The only thing I liked better about DAoC was the crafting.......When I played DAoC the game was dying at a pretty fast pace.......ALso when I got to 50 and was pretty well geared I was still being killed in one shot often on the battlefield........WHile you can still get killed fairly quick in WAR it isnt as bad as DAoC....I feel I at least have a chance in WAR......I also did not like the PVE in DAoC at all and at least WAR has public quests which are fun.........

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

What does game mechanics have to do with being hit for XX000 damage?? lol....Im sure I wasnt as great as alot of you thought you were but I shouldnt get killed in one shot.......Most of the one shots were a rogue type class that would invis on the battlefield and did ridiculous damage......

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I agree. The playerbase in DAOC is sooooo much more mature and friendly then in other newer mmorpgs. I have had nothing but good experiences with other players since I came back to DAOC.

I have had other players give me gold (without asking), run me through dungeons, craft me items for free, answer all my noob questions. It's great.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• MalogrinMalogrin Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Theocritus

I'm sure I am in the minority here but I actually liked WAR alot more than DAoC.......The only thing I liked better about DAoC was the crafting.......When I played DAoC the game was dying at a pretty fast pace.......ALso when I got to 50 and was pretty well geared I was still being killed in one shot often on the battlefield........WHile you can still get killed fairly quick in WAR it isnt as bad as DAoC....I feel I at least have a chance in WAR......I also did not like the PVE in DAoC at all and at least WAR has public quests which are fun.........

one shot?

you were obviously horrible, and never understood the game mechanics lol

+1

Ops i died... game sucks xD /qtd

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Dark Age of Camelot is the best mmo I have ever played. Unfortunately its now far too old and out-dated for my tastes. Sorry but good visuals are important to me and I could never go back to such an old mmo.....although of course the game looked awesome for its time. Every model was highly detailed and had a great authentic look to it. Having said that if Mythic ever made DAoC 2 then I would be back in a flash........but there's the problem. This will NEVER happen because it is clearly obvious that Mythic no longer have the same staff working for them that worked on DAoC. You can clearly see that this is the case by playing the epic shitpile known as WAR which takes everything that was good about DAoC and says "Nahh we dont want any of that" before flushing it down the toilet.

In DAoC I really felt like my character belonged in his realm (I was in Albion). To be honest I was totally crap at PvP and spent most of my time in PvE but it was great just knowing that there were two other continents full of "hated foes" that I could go to battle against. This created a great sense of camaraderie amongst my realm mates. Also the races and classes in DAoC were fantastic. Each one was interesting and different in their apperance and playstyle and each realm had its own unique theme to set it apart.

Now take a look at WAR. The devs spout on about "realm pride" but there isnt any because there isnt any "realm identity". You are either "the good guys" or "the bad guys". Everything in the game is reduced to a cheap carbon copy of WoW in an attempt to please the masses. Having two opposing sides is a step backwards from DAoC as that single additional realm made such a big difference. Also the PvP in WAR is slow, boring and completely pointless. I could barely see any reason at all to "go to war" in one of those stupid little PvP playpens. All the classes just played the same to me as well and I never felt any kind of attachment to them at all. My gobbo shaman was the same as every other gobbo shaman. Boring.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by neonwire

Dark Age of Camelot is the best mmo I have ever played. Unfortunately its now far too old and out-dated for my tastes. Sorry but good visuals are important to me and I could never go back to such an old mmo.....although of course the game looked awesome for its time. Every model was highly detailed and had a great authentic look to it. Having said that if Mythic ever made DAoC 2 then I would be back in a flash........but there's the problem. This will NEVER happen because it is clearly obvious that Mythic no longer have the same staff working for them that worked on DAoC. You can clearly see that this is the case by playing the epic shitpile known as WAR which takes everything that was good about DAoC and says "Nahh we dont want any of that" before flushing it down the toilet.
    In DAoC I really felt like my character belonged in his realm (I was in Albion). To be honest I was totally crap at PvP and spent most of my time in PvE but it was great just knowing that there were two other continents full of "hated foes" that I could go to battle against. This created a great sense of camaraderie amongst my realm mates. Also the races and classes in DAoC were fantastic. Each one was interesting and different in their apperance and playstyle and each realm had its own unique theme to set it apart.
    Now take a look at WAR. The devs spout on about "realm pride" but there isnt any because there isnt any "realm identity". You are either "the good guys" or "the bad guys". Everything in the game is reduced to a cheap carbon copy of WoW in an attempt to please the masses. Having two opposing sides is a step backwards from DAoC as that single additional realm made such a big difference. Also the PvP in WAR is slow, boring and completely pointless. I could barely see any reason at all to "go to war" in one of those stupid little PvP playpens. All the classes just played the same to me as well and I never felt any kind of attachment to them at all. My gobbo shaman was the same as every other gobbo shaman. Boring.

When was the last time you played DAOC? I stayed away for years myself because I figured that the graphics would be outdated because it was such an old game. When I finally decided to give DAOC another chance recently, I was surprised at how good the graphics still looked.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.