Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is now geared for players in the age's of 50+

124»

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Well I guess I might as well put in my two cents worth.

I am 63 years old. 

I have been playing computer games since they started. (Anyone here remember "Aventure".)

I guess I have spent thousands of dollars on gaming.  I have had just about every console. I have owned a Pet, TRS-80 model I and II. Apple II and Apple III and I dont know how many 286, 386, 486, pentiums and so on.

That being said I have also played about every western mmo (can't stand anime).

Its true games have been getting easier.   However everthing has been getting easier.  I sometimes wonder if that is a good thing or not.

I would really like to see a MMO that requires grouping to advance, no item shop, a real death penalty, no gold sellers, no leet speak, crafting that matters, no auction house, and no raiding.

I know it will never happen.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by kb4blu

Well I guess I might as well put in my two cents worth.
    I am 63 years old. 
    I have been playing computer games since they started. (Anyone here remember "Aventure".)
    I guess I have spent thousands of dollars on gaming.  I have had just about every console. I have owned a Pet, TRS-80 model I and II. Apple II and Apple III and I dont know how many 286, 386, 486, pentiums and so on.
    That being said I have also played about every western mmo (can't stand anime).
    Its true games have been getting easier.   However everthing has been getting easier.  I sometimes wonder if that is a good thing or not.
    I would really like to see a MMO that requires grouping to advance, no item shop, a real death penalty, no gold sellers, no leet speak, crafting that matters, no auction house, and no raiding.
    I know it will never happen.

• KankanKankan Member UncommonPosts: 55

I wouldnt agree 100% with your title. I do agree everything has gotten easier and/or requires less time. It makes sense to think its geared towards people 30+ w/ careers and families but I think its really for the kids 12-20ish who dont like to put in the time to see things to fruition. They are the want it now generation, have a cell phone at 12 and for the most part cant type a complete sentence w/out some sort of lewt speak.

I miss the days of EQ, yes we did raid but to be honest most were not ready to raid well until they had played a year. There was a death penalty and it sucked sometimes but it made exploring alone or in small groups that much more enjoyable with a sense of danger. I had hoped Vanguard would fit the bill and to some degree it did. Im not sure we will see a turn back to the old days of MMO's.

I still think WoW is crowded with teenagers at a higher rate than us 30+ people. Or at least the general chat makes it appear that way. I have been lucky enough to be in guilds with primarly 25-40yr olds.

• esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76

You know, I'd have to go on record as being diametrically opposed to the premise of this thread.

As a late 40s gamer, when my game-playing friends and I get together we discuss "the good old days" when games were tough, when raids happened once a month for the group that was waiting for the boss to spawn, when you had to walk for hours to get to the other side of the game world, and if you died, you were in for a long, naked walk back. We took YEARS to reach level cap, not days, and spent hundreds of hours seeking a single item. I know people who spent thousands of hours grinding text games for skill points, and remember a time when the concept of an Alt was absurd, because it would take valuable time away from your character.

As time has gone on... games across the spectrum have gotten easier and easier. Where we struggled with memorizing Pac Man patterns, and building up perfect reflexes for Defender, young gamers cut their teeth on things like Fallout 3... games where there doesn't seem to be any possibility of losing.  Yet, even with the fact that games are getting easier and easier, there seems to be an increased reliance on cheat codes, going so far as to make them part of the game features these days.

So, as time goes on, the games get easier and easier... travel in games now usually consists of a loading screen. Death in games now consists of a short jog back from a nearby rezzing spot.... and so on.  The argument here is that the dumbing down of difficulty is for the benefit of older players? I'm sorry, but you've got it backwards. The dumbing down is for the newer players... the younger players...

The problem is not that WoW is geared for 50+ year old players... but for the new breed of "hand me everything for no effort" teen gamers.

Originally posted by JackFetch

You know, I'd have to go on record as being diametrically opposed to the premise of this thread.
    As a late 40s gamer, when my game-playing friends and I get together we discuss "the good old days" when games were tough, when raids happened once a month for the group that was waiting for the boss to spawn, when you had to walk for hours to get to the other side of the game world, and if you died, you were in for a long, naked walk back. We took YEARS to reach level cap, not days, and spent hundreds of hours seeking a single item. I know people who spent thousands of hours grinding text games for skill points, and remember a time when the concept of an Alt was absurd, because it would take valuable time away from your character.
    As time has gone on... games across the spectrum have gotten easier and easier. Where we struggled with memorizing Pac Man patterns, and building up perfect reflexes for Defender, young gamers cut their teeth on things like Fallout 3... games where there doesn't seem to be any possibility of losing.  Yet, even with the fact that games are getting easier and easier, there seems to be an increased reliance on cheat codes, going so far as to make them part of the game features these days.
    So, as time goes on, the games get easier and easier... travel in games now usually consists of a loading screen. Death in games now consists of a short jog back from a nearby rezzing spot.... and so on.  The argument here is that the dumbing down of difficulty is for the benefit of older players? I'm sorry, but you've got it backwards. The dumbing down is for the newer players... the younger players...
    The problem is not that WoW is geared for 50+ year old players... but for the new breed of "hand me everything for no effort" teen gamers.

Intreasting VIEW point. I think KIDS who PLAY would would be lost if they had NO mods.... Lol I remember THOSE days.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Isturi

It seems that WoW players for the majority are in their FIFTIES. Not that I have anything against ppl who play MMO's past FIFTY. Actually I think on one hand it is a very cool thing to want to keep up with your grand kids. But I remember the days of WoW when the HARDCORE fanboy was in there TEENS. It goese to show that once you EVOLVE a MMO to its SIMPLEST form anyone can play. Dont get me wrong I plan on playing MMO's until I'm NINETY. Is that WRONG?? come to think of it I think I heard somewere there is a NINETY year old player somewhere playing WoW. If you can verify this pls do.

What are your thought or comments? I'm I the only one that SEE'S the TREND??

Lol, well all im going to say is are country is run by people all over the age of 40 and 50.  Soooooo the dumb thing could be correct. However as a 34 year old  im sure each beer i drink i can agree im losing brain cells )

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

I dont understand why age does matter over internet?  Maybe its for in person, but INTERNET? oh please this is ridicoulous.  Are you saying 50+ cant play this game?  Hell maybe they should set this game for 21+ with SSN required n stuff? How do you like that?

Kain_Dale

• kingbloopkingbloop Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by kingbloop

Age has nothing to do with maturity.

/signed

And mature people play what they want to play and enjoy the game because they want too and for no other reason.

I say that temlarge cause i have seen a few people post saying age is a factor in playstyle and personality. i know people who play wow that are 40-70 y/o that act worse that a 2 y/o going through the terrible twos. i also know some 10y/o that are way more mature than someone my age or older. i think some of the people that have problems with older or younger gamers are using MMO's for the wrong reasons ie. trying to get hook ups.

--

its not often that i have seen this subject come up, its mainly about kids 13 and under playing and complaints about so. I am 24 y/o my mom who has played video games a bit longer than me (i started when i was around 3 on her Atari) and she is still going strong. she leads her own guild in WoW, and has been playing it since Vanilla version.

I think MMO's are great for older people who are diablabled (or just disabled people in general) because its a way to interact with lots of other people so they dont feel so trapped or alone in their homes when they hurt to much to go places.

Early in this THREAD I did a POLL here are the results to see if out of OUR cumunity if MY post has any MARIT??

OUT of 15 ppl who voted we came up with:

What AGE WoW gamer are you??

10 - 20 - 0.0%

21 - 30 - 20.0%

31 - 40 - 26.7%

41 - 50 - 20.0%

51 - 60 - 20.0%

60 + - 13.3%

Hmm I may not be the greatest in MATH but it seems that 53% of the players HERE at MMORPG are OVER 50 and I found this to be very interesting and a rewarding fact.

Final THOUGHT is no MATTER how OLD you are just play the game have fun. Thank you ALL for such a very INRESTING post.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

15 people is not a significant enough sample size to draw any sort of conclusion about the average ages of the members on this site.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ian_HawkmoonIan_Hawkmoon Member Posts: 365

Early in this THREAD I did a POLL here are the results to see if out of OUR cumunity if MY post has any MARIT??

10 - 20 - 0.0%

21 - 30 - 20.0%

31 - 40 - 26.7%

41 - 50 - 20.0%

51 - 60 - 20.0%

60 + - 13.3%
    Hmm I may not be the greatest in MATH but it seems that 53% of the players HERE at MMORPG are OVER 50 and I found this to be very interesting and a rewarding fact.

Final THOUGHT is no MATTER how OLD you are just play the game have fun. Thank you ALL for such a very INRESTING post.

Umm, from what I see those 51-60 and 60+ totals 33.3%.  Not 53%.  You cannot count those in the 41-50 range since they are not "over" 50.  :)

Originally posted by Ian_Hawkmoon

10 - 20 - 0.0%

21 - 30 - 20.0%

31 - 40 - 26.7%

41 - 50 - 20.0%

51 - 60 - 20.0%

60 + - 13.3%

Umm, from what I see those 51-60 and 60+ totals 33.3%.  Not 53%.  You cannot count those in the 41-50 range since they are not "over" 50.  :)

Ty, I STAND corrected.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127

Well im 51 and as soon as my wife falls asleep im on my computer. I will be playiing games till im dead. Just put together a new machine, 24 inch dell, 17 940cpu, 2 gtx 285 oc evga, x-fi titanium fatality sound with face plate for my sennheiser headphones, 5.1 logitech surround  , corsair 3x2g 1600 dominator ram, antec 1200 case with antec 1000 power supply, asus rampage extreme 2 MB ( ASUS MB have never let me down )with V8 cooler. And being over 50 its all in MY office/game room not mom and dad's. Not bad for a old fart eh? To bad I dont use my xbox 360 and Wii as much as i should. (Xbox mostly for COD and Wii for fit and play)  I also do not play WOW, ......I quit a month ago : )  . Playing Empire total war and Fallout 3 till I give in and play AOC again. ( nice graphics). Huxley looks good also. I lwish WOW had AOC graphics and Darkfalls game rules. My first online game was EQ1 which was so great for its time I have been hooked ever since.