Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope characters in this game have unique npc friends/allies

DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

A staple of all comic characters, though heroes in particular, is their cast of non-powered friends.  It would be nice if DC Universe let each player have or develop such a cast of friends and allies.  You could then have spontaneous quests pop up to help them when they get in trouble or the like (and perhaps even link some of these to the bigger quests you get sent on).  It would add an extra bit of personal involvement which would be nice to see (and unless they've dramatically changed CoH it would add something not present in current superhero mmos).  Of course, if you had the option of have a secret identity or civilian life of some sort, that would be pretty neat too (and I am not saying there'd have to be a lot of depth here).  One of the bigger problems I had with CoH is that you were a hero all the time as far as the game was concerned, which breaks some immersion, imho.

Comments

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by Drachasor

A staple of all comic characters, though heroes in particular, is their cast of non-powered friends.  It would be nice if DC Universe let each player have or develop such a cast of friends and allies.  You could then have spontaneous quests pop up to help them when they get in trouble or the like (and perhaps even link some of these to the bigger quests you get sent on).  It would add an extra bit of personal involvement which would be nice to see (and unless they've dramatically changed CoH it would add something not present in current superhero mmos).  Of course, if you had the option of have a secret identity or civilian life of some sort, that would be pretty neat too (and I am not saying there'd have to be a lot of depth here).  One of the bigger problems I had with CoH is that you were a hero all the time as far as the game was concerned, which breaks some immersion, imho.

The non-powered NPC thing could help link you in to the DC icons. Martha Kent's dad could be your boss; maybe you date Jim Gordon's niece.

I'm going to disagree with your point about CoH, although it may have been a problem more with Justice League and JLU. JLU put almost all their focus on the heroes as heroes - very little time was given to their secret identities. It was like Superman came out as Clark Kent. There were a few scenes with Bruce Wayne, but other than him, no one bothered with maintaining secret identities anymore. They spent almost all their time doing the hero bit. Same thing with the Teen Titans - all heroes, all the time.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.