Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Furcadia: Tried it, uninstalled it on the first day.

MisaTangeMisaTange Member Posts: 6

As said in the other Furcadia reviews here, this game isn't worth a shot unless you like to chat all day or you love furry animals. The only pluses are it's truly a free-to-play game aimed at children, and no lag at all.

Graphics: 3/10.

It's terrible. It's worse than the old RuneScape. Enough said.

Fun: 5/10.

It's better if you start off with friends, for it is like a chatroom with tiny drops of 'dream' rooms. You get lost a lot. There's not even a minimap to help you.

Sound: 2/10.

Terrible sound everywhere.

Community: 10/10

Everyone is nice here. There's even this helper, which name I forgot, for newbies. You can even apply to be a helper. Another plus. But then again, not too many people play Furcadia.

Role-Playing: 3/10

You just walk around. Terrible game.

Performance/Lag: 10/10.

No lag, probably because of lack of features.

Value: 4/10

I personally hate it.

Service: 9/10

The service is overall great because of the helpers.

Overall, I think it stinks. But if you're into a game to chat and create dream rooms, this game is for you. 3/10 rating.

Online Games played: GunZ Online, MapleStory, GunBound, Dofus, Oz World, Pi Story, Lunia, Rumble Fighter, Grand Chase, Furcadia.
Online games playing: GunZ Online
Want to play: None.

Send me a PM for MMO suggestions.

GunZ IGN: MisaTange

Comments

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by MisaTange

As said in the other Furcadia reviews here, this game isn't worth a shot unless you like to chat all day or you love furry animals. The only pluses are it's truly a free-to-play game aimed at children, and no lag at all.

Bullshit.

Unless you think children should learn to pretend to have sex with idiots in animal costumes.

It's name "Furries" should tell anyone with half a brain what the game is for.

Go into one of their little player rooms and see for yourself.

Fucking disgusting.

• ZombiefishZombiefish Member Posts: 16

If you give the game a decent try and explore the entire thing you'd find it really is a good overall community. And the purpose is mainly a giant chat room and good practice for anyone that may want to experiment with being a game programmer.

The truth is as childish as it looks, it is definately NOT a kids game and not made for kids but rather for open ended creativity with as little restriction as possible within reason. It is as horrible or childish or fun as you litterally make it.

• SafraSafra Member UncommonPosts: 47

Graphics: 3/10. It's terrible. It's worse than the old RuneScape. Enough said.

My take 8/10 only because the interface is so small. There's nothing really wrong with the graphical setup except that today's gamers seem to want more eye candy than substance.

Well, it's pixel graphics. There are enough screenshots at the website that you could have seen this before entering. Or didn't you bother to look?

Screenshot link on this page; http://www.furcadia.com/download/

Fun: 5/10. It's better if you start off with friends, for it is like a chatroom with tiny drops of 'dream' rooms. You get lost a lot. There's not even a minimap to help you.

My take 8/10 for a beginner. Lot's to look around at and the interface has a lot of helper functions built in so you don't get lost. You simply have to use them. Someone who sticks around may judge this higher, or lower, but you can only tell by sticking around.

You didn't spend a lot of time with the interface, did you. Miss the Go To tab? Tab B where there are clickable buttons to GO TO ten different main locations. They do have a map function that apparently is currently in beta, but they area trying.

But here's an example of one map; http://www.furcadia.com/naia/naiamap.html

As far as friends, why didn't you try to chat and make some?

Oh, btw, Dreams are player made add-ons to Furcadia. Yes, that's right, any player can learn the coding language and make their own extension to the main sites within Furcadia.

Read about Dreams and coding them here; http://www.furcadia.com/creations/

Sound: 2/10. Terrible sound everywhere.

My take 6/10. I don't care for their taste in music, so I turn it down. No biggie and sound isn't the be all, end all. I turn the sound off in 99% of the online environments I enter - big deal. But obviously many like it or they wouldn't be playing it. Same with the environment sounds.

Community: 10/10 Everyone is nice here. There's even this helper, which name I forgot, for newbies. You can even apply to be a helper. Another plus. But then again, not too many people play Furcadia.

I have the same take on it 10/10 but take exception with one thing in your comment. You just had to have a dig in there didn't you?

Not too many people eh? So I guess you think what is posted at the front page at http://www.furcadia.com/ is a lie?

Furcadia server status:
    3329 total players online
    135162 characters connected this month
    Max players in this session: 3771
    Max players ever: 4640
    Server uptime 2 days 01:53

Just being in-game five minutes about ten people entered and walked past me to another area from the Community Center.

Role-Playing: 3/10 You just walk around. Terrible game.

My take 10/10 for those that do roleplay. Some do not. But those that do do it well.

Role-playing is PLAYER driven, not server driven. If you didn't bother to talk to anyone, make friends and attempt to play a role in-game then you cannot comment on the RP at all.

Performance/Lag: 10/10. No lag, probably because of lack of features.

Another backhanded compliment. There's less lag since the game is NOT graphic driven, but player driven. Pixel graphics take less bandwidth I'm sure. The smaller interface contributes to that as well.

I give them 10/10 unreservedly for making something work that their players like and where many can be in attendance without major lag taking the fun out of it.

Value: 4/10 I personally hate it.

This shouldn't even be here. YOUR personal value is value-less to me.

Service: 9/10 The service is overall great because of the helpers.

I commend you for finally giving an evaluation that didn't have a nasty dig in it. Well done.

If I could give them greater than a 10 for the purpose of this conversation I would.

The service here is overall exceptional starting with the website and continuing in the game client. They've put an enormous amount of work into having enough people to help with monitoring chats for griefing and outlandish, bad behaviour, classes in programming and art, etc., and making it completely accessible to the player.

Here's their sitemap so you can see what I refer to;
    http://www.furcadia.com/sitemap/

I think that Furcadia succeeded pretty well in delivering what they set out to deliver despite naysayers and nit-pickers.

For something that started so long ago to still have a faithful following and growing community says something about what they satisfy for their niche-market.

You can read a great deal about Furcadia's long history here;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furcadia

They've done a lot of work and made many improvements since I first entered Furcadia back in 2001. It's nice to see something stick around and grow on a basis other than "netboi" popularity.

Unless you think children should learn to pretend to have sex with idiots in animal costumes.

Fucking disgusting.

Oh yes, adults in furry avatars talking sex is more disturbing and disgusting than adults as demons, weird hybrid human races. necromancers, alien oddities, and basically just "toons" talking sex in PMs or whispers, eh?

If I remember correctly the adult areas in Furcadia are separate from the general population and there are warnings about entering these areas.

Wait! since it's such a fast download and install, I've done so while typing and hey! there's a configuration program that opens and allows you to;

1) Log all chat (useful for parents)

2) Restrict access to Mature 16+ and Adult Only areas with "Prevent" or "Warn" before entering.

3) An additional option to protect these settings with a Parental Password. (very useful for parents)

Therefore ANYONE downloading this game should be able to set their preferences accordingly and NEVER have to see what consenting adults are doing in the Adults Only areas.

That you enter then knowingly is your own decision since you can definitely set it so you never have to see anything YOU consider offensive and/or disturbing.

So here is the actual truth of the matter - you never have to see it or know that it exists.

Anyone deliberately ignoring the ability to configure it this way and then coming to any forums and trumpeting the drek you have is knowingly doing nothing but telling lies. 

For anyone else who is concerned over this person's ill-considered posting of untruths, please go read the Parent's Page;
    http://www.furcadia.com/parentpage.html

Originally posted by Safra

Fucking disgusting.

Oh yes, adults in furry avatars talking sex is more disturbing and disgusting than adults as demons, weird hybrid human races. necromancers, alien oddities, and basically just "toons" talking sex in PMs or whispers, eh?

If I remember correctly the adult areas in Furcadia are separate from the general population and there are warnings about entering these areas.

Wait! since it's such a fast download and install, I've done so while typing and hey! there's a configuration program that opens and allows you to;

1) Log all chat (useful for parents)

2) Restrict access to Mature 16+ and Adult Only areas with "Prevent" or "Warn" before entering.

3) An additional option to protect these settings with a Parental Password. (very useful for parents)

Therefore ANYONE downloading this game should be able to set their preferences accordingly and NEVER have to see what consenting adults are doing in the Adults Only areas.

That you enter then knowingly is your own decision since you can definitely set it so you never have to see anything YOU consider offensive and/or disturbing.

So here is the actual truth of the matter - you never have to see it or know that it exists.

Anyone deliberately ignoring the ability to configure it this way and then coming to any forums and trumpeting the drek you have is knowingly doing nothing but telling lies. 

For anyone else who is concerned over this person's ill-considered posting of untruths, please go read the Parent's Page;

http://www.furcadia.com/parentpage.html

And what is in place to make sure only "parents" or those over 18+ are downloading and playing?

What good are parental controls or advice to parents/adults if it's NOT an adult downloading and playing in the first place?

The only thing ill-considered is the game itself, and the costumed freaks who play it and then come here to try to defend it.

"Furries" and other social deviants are just one more reason to keep a firearm.

But to each their own, I guess.

The only thing ill-considered is the game itself, and the costumed freaks who play it and then come here to try to defend it.

By your logic anyone who plays a game is a "costumed freak".

What "games" do you play - hmmmm? If gamers disgust you so much, what are you doing here?

You have some sort of wierd pulpit you're pounding there. If it involves religion, which I suspect, perhaps you would be more at home on a forum disputing authenticity of religious views.

Oh wait, you probably already do that.

This is a game site about games, not whether someone is a deviant or not.

This is not a place for you to exorcise "your" personal demons.

By your logic anyone who plays a game is a "costumed freak".

No, by my logic anyone who get off on fucking each other in dog or bear costume is a "costumed freak".

What "games" do you play - hmmmm? If gamers disgust you so much, what are you doing here?

Games don't disgust me. Perverted closet animal fuckers who then somehow manage to disguise there meeting place as a "game", which doesn't even attempt to keep minors out with so much as a credit card requirement, disgust me.

You have some sort of wierd pulpit you're pounding there. If it involves religion, which I suspect, perhaps you would be more at home on a forum disputing authenticity of religious views.

I happen to be non religious. Religions are there for people who can't think for themselves or need others to take responsibilty for their lives.

Oh wait, you probably already do that.

Guess you failed with that deduction, Sherlock.

This is a game site about games, not whether someone is a deviant or not.

Yes it is a game site for people to talk about games. This game happens to be marketed toward people with serious psychological issues and I'm discussing that. The fact they're deviants is part of that discussion.

This is not a place for you to exorcise "your" personal demons.

Sorry, I prefer to get my kick from REAL women, not a guy in a female donkey costume. So there's nothing personal here for me. However, you seem to have a vested interest in defending this shit. So perhaps the personal issues are on your end, Fido.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Bullshit.

Fucking disgusting.

Umm unless MMORPG.com has changed its rules about what games can and cannot be posted on this site then you couldnt be more wrong if you tried. there is only 1 online game that even comes close to having sex in it and its not even listed on any online game site listings. do you know why? its because like this sight there is a chance that children under the age of 18 can visit. Hell the only reason I know of it is because I got a pop-up for it. also even if there is a slight chance there is any type of sex going on then the game has to a have a m rating and the only online game out with a m rating is Age of Conan and that requires a credit card to play.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by akiira69

Bullshit.

Fucking disgusting.

Umm unless MMORPG.com has changed its rules about what games can and cannot be posted on this site then you couldnt be more wrong if you tried. there is only 1 online game that even comes close to having sex in it and its not even listed on any online game site listings. do you know why? its because like this sight there is a chance that children under the age of 18 can visit. Hell the only reason I know of it is because I got a pop-up for it. also even if there is a slight chance there is any type of sex going on then the game has to a have a m rating and the only online game out with a m rating is Age of Conan and that requires a credit card to play.

Then I guess mmorpg.com will be removing Second Life also according to your view of their rules?

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Wow...not something i expected to see a new topic on....since its barely more than a graphical chat room...that released in 1996...I was like 13 when i first dled this program...25 now, and its still kicking...how many other games of any sort can claim the same?

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I certainly wouldn't accept a movie reviewer's opinion on a movie if he had not watched the entire movie.

I certainly wouldn't give the OP's review of this game any merit based on the "uninstalled first day" comment.

Originally posted by KnaveSkye

Wow...not something i expected to see a new topic on....since its barely more than a graphical chat room...that released in 1996...I was like 13 when i first dled this program...25 now, and its still kicking...how many other games of any sort can claim the same?

A few.

Outside of many muds from as early as the '80's that still run today, there's also Meridian59: http://meridian59.neardeathstudios.com/  which has been going since 1995.

...snip!...

No need to repeat all of that hateful, trolling speech you're so fond of.

Wow, I really touched a whole lotta nerves there.

Oh well, you're the one making all kinds of suppositions and ass-uming all of this.  

The best part? You're doing ALL of the work showing yourself for what you are. Your responses show what a fearful, bitter person you are.  I need not do anything else,

Keep playing your song, for what it is, heh.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

...snip!...

No need to repeat all of that hateful, trolling speech you're so fond of.

Wow, I really touched a whole lotta nerves there.

Oh well, you're the one making all kinds of suppositions and ass-uming all of this.  

The best part? You're doing ALL of the work showing yourself for what you are. Your responses show what a fearful, bitter person you are.  I need not do anything else,

Keep playing your song, for what it is, heh.

You didn't touch any nerve, it's obvious he hit a few of yours, with a sledgehammer.

He's concerned about children learning to pretend to have sex with others in animal costumes, your response is a lot of bs about logging chat, adjust configurations, etc. And when he asked:

"And what is in place to make sure only "parents" or those over 18+ are downloading and playing?"

you just ignored the whole question and attacked him for made-up (by you) problems with religion, personal demons and whatever. YOU are the one showing what you really are, he sounds more like a concerned parent with a foul language.

Attacking a person who's concernd about protecting kids... yes, keep playing your song too, more readers needs to be aware of persons like you.

• RamonSternsRamonSterns Member Posts: 41

lol, furries.

*gag*

• ZombiefishZombiefish Member Posts: 16

Just to make it clear because i think this subject on the game is getting a bit out of hand.

"Furcadia"  itself doesn't promote or base itself on furries sex or the adult rated content that USERS create in the game.  This content is a result of SOME (Not All) users deciding to go down that route just like there are users that do it in any mmorpg.

Furcadia offers the users the ability to enter their own custom coding to make "Dreams" (user created/designed mini-areas) and design their own graphical features and actions (and this is the only game that does so).

This is not a game based on sex, although that exists in the all Furcadia's impact on it is that they separate it into an adult only area where there are other types of dreams based on any adult subjects such as violence, crime, graphic (bloody) monsters ect..

Yes, sex based dreams( user created/designed mini-areas) exist in a big way.  But so do any other dreams creative users think up in any of the 4 or 5 other available areas that aren't Adult Only.

Examples: There used to be (probably still are) dreams based on fast food restraunts (McDonalds), other games (Final Fantasies), Books/Movies ( The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter),  popular Fantasy choices (Middle ages, Horse Ranching, Space Stations) ect..

And please don't down the game for everyone because you chose to go to the one area of the game clearly labeled Mature Users Only and found out you were not mature enough to make smarter decisions on where to explore for whatever you were looking for.

Finally if you ignore the rest, before you try this "game" just know that this is a Text-Based, Role-Playing game with minimal graphic help beyond what the users create.

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

This thread has gone way off topic.

/closed

This discussion has been closed.