Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still only one?

mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Is there still only one server?

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

yup

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

thankfully

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Always will be that way.

Well unless something crazy happens like the vast majority off MMO players all deciding they want to play Eve.And now Eve has 10mil + subscribers and well then I really think CCP would make a new server but even then I wouldn't bet my life on it.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Pretty sure that most of the veterans in the game would quit if they started another server.  I would.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

Why would you quit if they made another server?

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Is that you elsabolts?

Why would you want more then 1 server? Please elaborate so we dont make assumptions

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi

Why would you quit if they made another server?

While that's a pretty drastic decision, I could definitely see why people might.  EVE's single server is what makes the game so interesting.  If you split up the player base, suddenly the things you do in-game have less meaning.  Half the people there will likely never hear of some big achievement, or just won't care because it doesn't affect them anymore.  The game doesn't need a second server, and hopefully will never have a second server.  As it is, the developers can continue to update it and add new content indefinitely.  They opened up new uncharted space with the last expansion, and could continue to do that as long as they wish.  They could even expand empire space if needed, and then continue expanding 0.0 outwards if space started to run short in the long run.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

as it stands now, if someone talks smack about me, i can get a locator agent and go find them and gank them. cant do that if they're on the other server.

with eve when you meet someone you dont ask "what server are you on?" or "did you hear about this cool thing that happened on my server?" because you're all there together. frankly eve has spoilt me on single shard worlds, i dont understand how anyone can play on multiple sharded games.

also, in before elsabolts and the pve failserver.

Would I quit if they made a new server ?

That all depends. If it were a pve server then yes I would definitely quit. A pve server would unforunately kill the pvp server off and then the pve server would die shortly after.

The reason Eve works is because of the single world open pvp nature of the game, its what feeds the industry side of the game which in turn feeds the combat side. Both sides need each other.

If on the other hand they just made another pvp server due to the one server we have now reached its absolute limit and CCP had a shitload more subscribers. At this point CCP would be fools to turn away the money they could be making. This would only be good though if the new server was exactly the same rule set as the one now.

Whew, made it in before Elsa

well I predicted I would quit when they eliminated ghost training but yet I am still here. so apparently I am a crack idiot and I need to get my fix. I dont think I'll quit right away but maybe eventually I would once I meet people and they ar elike, "I play on PvE server guess we cant game together'

Honest I meet people all the time and its great we on 1 world

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Enkindu

Pretty sure that most of the veterans in the game would quit if they started another server.  I would.

As would I with many others I know. 

The only people that the removal of ghost training affected were the people farming characters to sell using. Removal of ghost training did nothing to affect the people who actually played the game.

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

If EVE had 5mil+ subs ,CCP would just purchase a nuclear reactor and hook it up to the server,and at the rate EVE is growing,it wont be long,a couple of years.

Originally posted by demolishIX

If EVE had 5mil+ subs ,CCP would just purchase a nuclear reactor and hook it up to the server,and at the rate EVE is growing,it wont be long,a couple of years.

Haha, I like it.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by PatchDay

Is that you elsabolts?
    Why would you want more then 1 server? Please elaborate so we dont make assumptions

HAHA FTW!!!!!

and yes and it will stay that way, 1 game, 1 server. CCP devs are geniuses (apart from those who bend the rules of the game to accomodate their playstyle, but thats another topic) and they can pull of ~50k players online on 1 server, if it continutes to grow instead of getting more servers they will find a way to increase the capacity of the actual one

consider that each server in the eve cluster houses X systems (for jita thats 1, for the arse end of tenal or the drone regions, its more like 20), ccp can just add more servers to the cluster and spread the load out more. if there are not enough systems to go around, they can just add a few more regions. or encourage people to leave their highsec mission running. theoretical max number of players ccp could support before adding new zones is about 5000 * 600 (jita gets more than this regularly). We're not going to see 3 million PCU record for a long long time.

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

The only people that the removal of ghost training affected were the people farming characters to sell using. Removal of ghost training did nothing to affect the people who actually played the game.

I used it and I'm never gonna sell him. Now to think of it I did quit but they got me back with that veteran 5 day promotion. I was like, "maybe I should checkin on my old friends in my old corp". So then I come back and I was like, well hell maybe they part of reason I got bored in 1st place. So joined some other friends in much bigger corp and I'm having a blast

edit- Oh I get ya yes that is correct. It mainly only would affect people not playing the game and selling characters

Originally posted by Xennith

consider that each server in the eve cluster houses X systems (for jita thats 1, for the arse end of tenal or the drone regions, its more like 20), ccp can just add more servers to the cluster and spread the load out more. if there are not enough systems to go around, they can just add a few more regions. or encourage people to leave their highsec mission running. theoretical max number of players ccp could support before adding new zones is about 5000 * 600 (jita gets more than this regularly). We're not going to see 3 million PCU record for a long long time.

Other day I jump clone to Empire to buy skillbooks (can finally fly HAC-ishtar). Anyway I noticed oursulert is getting crazy huge. I cant help but wonder what are all these guys doing. Guess its a mini-jita (aka wall street) now full of commerce.

I even had to wait in queue too like one would for jita :(

rens and amarr are quieter, i spend a lot of time in amarrian space for one reason or another and havent really had any problems out there. as a rule caldari space is heaving, so i avoid jita as much as possible.

Originally posted by PatchDay

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

I used it and I'm never gonna sell him. Now to think of it I did quit but they got me back with that veteran 5 day promotion. I was like, "maybe I should checkin on my old friends in my old corp". So then I come back and I was like, well hell maybe they part of reason I got bored in 1st place. So joined some other friends in much bigger corp and I'm having a blast

edit- Oh I get ya yes that is correct. It mainly only would affect people not playing the game and selling characters

Oh so you were just leveling a character without paying full price for him ? Consider yourself lucky. But it became a problem when the character farmers were selling them and that is why ghost training was stopped.

So you are in the small group of people doing it for themselves and not for selling but still if you played the game on a regular basis your main wouldn't be needing ghost training now would it ?

Go see what Blizzard says if you asked them to let you level an alt without doing any of the work. In Eve time is leveling and time is money, when CCP isn't geting paid for the time used to level they are losing money are they not ? Now throw in the problem of the farmers and now you should realize that your minority self righteous use of ghost training should be put away for the greater good of the game.

I admit I used the ghost training when I planned on a break from the game and set a skill like battleship 5 before my sub ran out and in situations like this CCP left ghost training in as a convenience for players taking a break but then it became abused and as such needed to be stopped and I am fine with that.

One server means eve is do or die.  Any accomplishments are there for the entire eve universe to see.  No starting over, no going to a server with less vets, no going to a server where everyone isn't trying to kill you.

You just started with nothing and there are characters with a trillion isk and 100 million skillpoints? Tough shit.. go out and succeed anyway. Just like in life the playing field isn't level and there will always be people with more and less than you have.  And just like in real life there are new people that show up and take the world by storm because they exploit their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Some people are brilliant with money.

Some people are natural leaders.

Some people are brilliant tactical thinkers.

Some people come up with an idea thatg no one ever had before.

Winners find a way to win, and losers find a way to lose.. that is nowhere more true than in eve online.

Even if they started an identical server it would dilute the talent pool and you would no longer be going up against ALL of the best players in the game, just perhaps half of them.  And that would be a shame.

Eve is what it is BECAUSE it is one world- yes, I'd quit in a second if they sharded it.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120

I tend to agree. Single server persistent world with 50k people logged in on the weekends is the way to go. I've often said that this is one of eve's defining features, and should be the future of MMOs.

Having said that I'm not sure I would be opposed outright to having multiple servers if the conditions were right (and they aren't). What comes to mind here is how vast the game seemed when I started playing. Going out to 0.0 really felt like you were getting lost in the depths of space. I could travel for 10 jumps in low-sec and not see anyone. Now-a-days at peak times there are enough players logged on to put 10 players in every system in eve.

Another factor is 0.0. The soveriegnty system is great, but it favors established alliances. If the anti-bob napfest shows us anything, 0.0 could potentially get very stagnent. Its very difficult for new alliances to stake a claim in the present eve-verse. Adding more systems is a thing that I think CCP *must* do--and I don't mean wormhole systems either.

Having a *new* server would also effectively reset the game to 0 on that new server, and give people a fresh crack and being on the ground floor. It would be quite exciting.

All of this is based on the premise that eve somewhere along the lines has a population at least 3x what it is now... which is a long way off (if it will ever happen). So please don't think I'm advocating a sharding of todays TQ. ;-)

Originally posted by Revthought

Having a *new* server would also effectively reset the game to 0 on that new server, and give people a fresh crack and being on the ground floor. It would be quite exciting.

Actually, you make a good point here.  Think of the madness that would ensue as people made a mad dash for territory.

And I do agree.. the early days where you could fly through deep 0.0 without seeing a soul for days were fun.  There was a much greater feeling of the emptiness of space.  W-space is such a logistical pain in the ass that it does nothing to bring back this feeling.

I remember when there would typically be 3-4000 people logged on at peak times.

As much as I would like to see some of those things back again, I still believe the character of eve would  be irreversibly and negatively changed by sharding.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Enkindu

Originally posted by Revthought

Actually, you make a good point here.  Think of the madness that would ensue as people made a mad dash for territory.

And I do agree.. the early days where you could fly through deep 0.0 without seeing a soul for days were fun.  There was a much greater feeling of the emptiness of space.  W-space is such a logistical pain in the ass that it does nothing to bring back this feeling.

I remember when there would typically be 3-4000 people logged on at peak times.

As much as I would like to see some of those things back again, I still believe the character of eve would  be irreversibly and negatively changed by sharding.

Problem is that the skill to take over systems is no where near the skills required to take out an enemies system. and in the end its not the new corps that will control the new server but the old corps with the already experienced players and the presetup infrastructure to control 0.0. All your going to see is a mad dash then worse. Sadly the reality is that EVE is not a game designed to start from Ground Zero it just plain doesn't work.

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120

Well regardless of how well you like my idea about the potential sharding of eve, I think going forward CCP should seriously consider taking the following steps.

1. Double the number of solar systems in eve. Add to empire, low-sec and 0.0.  As has been pointed out, wormhole space is a logistic pain in the ass. It offers *riches* of a sort, but no new moons to mine, no rats with bounties, etc. When added to the logistical nightmare that is living in w-space I firmly hold that this CANNOT be all that's added in the way of systems.

2. Remove warp to 0. Make it take hours to cross the eve-verse un-insta'd again. I realize this will cause bookmark spam, but honestly while I was in favor of this feature at launch, I think the game was better without it.