Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has there been any word on use of SecuROM yet?

I guess it's a bit early to discuss since the game's nowhere near the point of distribution, especially since Google turned up nothing on the subject, but I was curious if anyone who spent time on the official forums had heard anything about SecuROM being included in the game disks?

My hope is that it won't be deemed necessary, since the game's income will be generated (theoretically) by subscriptions rather than box sales, but my fear is that EA has a blanket deal with Sony DADC to install it in all of their products. Again, just curious if anyone's heard anything on the subject.

(I'm not looking to start a flame war on the subject of SecuROM, just looking for a little information).

Comments

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

If your key has already been used you can't play without logging in. I see no reason why they would include any anti-piracy software. Its not like you can pirate a MMO game.

• PanturaPantura Member Posts: 54

Yeah you're not paying for the box but the key that comes with it. (See online installs with reduced fees) I don't think there's any MMO that has or would actually waste money on piracy protection. They're safe unless someone finds a way to hack the server databases :)

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

you are right to be afraid of EA ruining it but it would be useless to do so. MMORPG can be downloaded off the internet and like the others said, you pay for the key pr "right" to play.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Thanks for the responses. I gues the answer is pretty much where I was already, "Dunno, but it seems unlikely."  Definitely much better news than "They made an announcement that they're trying an experimental version of SecuROM that will also work as a virtual wallet for your credit card information and social security number." Fingers crossed!

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Securom would be stupid, besides they would need soemthing far more secure when it comes to dealing with online transactions. Ive yet to see a game with securom that hasnt been cracked.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Pantura

Yeah you're not paying for the box but the key that comes with it. (See online installs with reduced fees) I don't think there's any MMO that has or would actually waste money on piracy protection. They're safe unless someone finds a way to hack the server databases :)

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried, All of the Korean games that have comer out include 1 type of anti-piracy software or another. If it were up to some(im talking about those who believe that all third party applications should be banned) then every online game would have it.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

You can't sell digital downloads if you are selling securoms dvd's or cd's. It will don't have securom or any kind of security system. With game based in monthly subs you dont need any security system. You already have the best one, login information and serials in your own datacenter. ;)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by akiira69

Originally posted by Pantura

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried, All of the Korean games that have comer out include 1 type of anti-piracy software or another. If it were up to some(im talking about those who believe that all third party applications should be banned) then every online game would have it.

They dont include anti-piracy software, they include anti-hacking software. They are diferent things.

Anti-piracy: Avoid making illegal copies of the game.

Anti-hacking: Avoid hacking of the client and using 3rd party tools to cheat.

Anti-piracy software makes no sense in mmorpg because you are always asking for login and checking subcription information.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

mmorpg companies usually don't give a crap about securerom, drm , etc because box sales mean almost nothing. its the subs that mean the most. Plus almost every company out there will distribute the client for free for you (either by trial or direct dl). Plus having a securerom on these are idiotic...they have the best type of security....monthly subs and keys. Can't play the game without having both in good standing.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by miagisan

mmorpg companies usually don't give a crap about securerom, drm , etc because box sales mean almost nothing.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Box sales do help. At least when the game is 1st release to recoup part of the cost of making the game.

Otherwise yeah any from of DRM is pointless on a A P2P MMO... they are all Account based... Once the Serial is attached to account it's useless to anyone else.

Heck even F2P games like Guild Wars don't need it either... same thing account based

I get that, but I'm just not sure what kind of deal EA has with Sony DADC, which is really why I was asking. If it's negotiated separately for each product, then I agree it probably won't make much sense to install it on a subscription-based game, or even (heaven forbid) an RMT-based game.

If it's a blanket agreement for all games over the course of X-amount of time, with the features of each SecuROM installation being specified individually1, it seems possible that EA could just include the software even in downloads to prevent free distribution of a full-version client. Five years after a game has launched, you still usually end up paying $19.95 for a box or digital copy somewhere if you want access to the full game, and that money also goes into paying off start-up costs and funding new development.

EA being who they are, I find it unlikely that they'd just write off the revenue from initial box sales and ongoing client downloads as "the cost of doing business." I hope I'm wrong, though. I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know a lot about EA's deal with Sony DADC, or even about DRM practices in general. I've just had bad experiences with SecuROM in the past (even though I've purchased the boxes from retailers), and I'm really hoping to avoid similar experiences in the future.

1Number of installations, amount of playable time, anti-piracy, anti-hacking, whatever.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Jenuviel

I get that, but I'm just not sure what kind of deal EA has with Sony DADC, which is really why I was asking. If it's negotiated separately for each product, then I agree it probably won't make much sense to install it on a subscription-based game, or even (heaven forbid) an RMT-based game.

If it's a blanket agreement for all games over the course of X-amount of time, with the features of each SecuROM installation being specified individually1, it seems possible that EA could just include the software even in downloads to prevent free distribution of a full-version client. Five years after a game has launched, you still usually end up paying $19.95 for a box or digital copy somewhere if you want access to the full game, and that money also goes into paying off start-up costs and funding new development.

EA being who they are, I find it unlikely that they'd just write off the revenue from initial box sales and ongoing client downloads as "the cost of doing business." I hope I'm wrong, though. I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know a lot about EA's deal with Sony DADC, or even about DRM practices in general. I've just had bad experiences with SecuROM in the past (even though I've purchased the boxes from retailers), and I'm really hoping to avoid similar experiences in the future.

1Number of installations, amount of playable time, anti-piracy, anti-hacking, whatever.

what does SONY have anything to do with Bioware/EA/Lucas Arts project?

Originally posted by miagisan

what does SONY have anything to do with Bioware/EA/Lucas Arts project?

Sony DADC is the company that makes SecuROM, which is the DRM suite EA uses on their games.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

There is no blanket deal since The Sims 3 won't have the SecureROM (thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp).  It is very unlikely they would use SecureROM for an MMO anyway, since you need an account to be able to play the game.  I'm more worried that they will use Punkbuster, since both Warhammer (the main reason I have no interest in even trying Warhammer) and UO use it.  I'm not big on having a spyware program forced on me, especially since it does very little to prevent cheating in MMOs.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Obee

There is no blanket deal since The Sims 3 won't have the SecureROM (thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp).  It is very unlikely they would use SecureROM for an MMO anyway, since you need an account to be able to play the game.  I'm more worried that they will use Punkbuster, since both Warhammer (the main reason I have no interest in even trying Warhammer) and UO use it.  I'm not big on having a spyware program forced on me, especially since it does very little to prevent cheating in MMOs.

How is Punkbuster Spyware? oh wait it's not.

I give the fact it doesn't stop cheating... but spyware?

Punkbuster is useful in FPS game that use it.

It's not perfect, but help server admins police their servers, more so when steaming to places like Punksbusted and PBbans.

I ran a CoD4 Server for awhile... It kinda warmed me up to Punkbuster, can you tell?