Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Classic servers

discuss

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

Comments

• neviuneviu Member UncommonPosts: 8

thats why i quited Burning crusade screwed it up lvl 60 pvp was tha shit

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Well I would make an alt on those servers

I indeed miss the old days in classic wow ^^ I really miss the old days with tier 1 and clearing molten core with uber 40 man raids :o

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I cant see this happening unless Blizzard wanted to maintain 2 different sets of code

its not as simple as not allowing expansion content

there have been significant changes to the ease of old world bosses

or class balancing of Talent Trees based on being able to reach level 80

there probably is  enough interest to run a Classic server with no expansions

but you would probably have to use the same game updates as everyone else

- and thats not necessarily a good thing for a "classic server"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126

This is a dead horse. If you read the Blue posts, it will NEVER happen.

• NerphNerph Member UncommonPosts: 69

wow wasnt nearly as good when it first came out, it was just the "fresh car smell" that made it so nice... its alot more polished/balanced now, in every aspect of the game

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

Everyone feels nostalgic about original WoW, myself included, but we need to get in in perspective.

Level 60 pvp was all about who could PvE the best automatically PvP'd the best. and 40 man raids where you had to bring a bottle to wee in during 5 hour marathons. (unless you are talking true vanilla before even Molten Core was introduced which was better in my book as the lack of gear made for a more level playing field in pvp)

Things have changed for the better since then. People who left at the launch of TBC would hardly recognise the game now. Don't confuse fond memories with good game design lol.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i think Blizz really REALLY needs to bring ALL of the old raids up to 80 (copy them if you must).  Why the hell should they 1. ditch at least 50% of their possible raid content  2. ditch unique dungeons and raids due to out leveling them and 3. deny many new players the experiance of playing through those dungeons (none of that just bring 5 80's crap, its more fun in a raid)

To me all it would take is a few level adjustments and some changing of loot and stats...thats about it.   I dont see why they dont do this.  On topic...it would also remove the need for Classic servers (in my opinion) but hey, i dont PvP and i heard it has changed signifigantly

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• WingmaWingma Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Garfunkel

Everyone feels nostalgic about original WoW, myself included, but we need to get in in perspective.
    Level 60 pvp was all about who could PvE the best automatically PvP'd the best. and 40 man raids where you had to bring a bottle to wee in during 5 hour marathons. (unless you are talking true vanilla before even Molten Core was introduced which was better in my book as the lack of gear made for a more level playing field in pvp)
    Things have changed for the better since then. People who left at the launch of TBC would hardly recognise the game now. Don't confuse fond memories with good game design lol.

As a vanilla casual, I disagree.

I respected those who pwned in PVP because they were the ones that worked hard for their things, I always looked up to them and enjoyed the fact that I was a little guy. Now it seems Blizzard wants to put everyone up onto a pedestal and wants you to meet Arthas and him call you a pain a few times every day. WoW wasn't something it wasn't back then, it was a PVE game and reward PVE players. Sure I like Arena, but Arena would have been best if they created an addon game for it, like Arena servers, where class talents are changed from Arena and do not affect PVE... In the end top Arena players didn't need to progress in PVE at all... Or PVP... They picked gear instantly, why bother having two things in two games when in the end tournaments aren't affected by the other anyway?

No doubt, there have been a lot of improvements since vanilla, polishing off of the game. Mostly smaller things, e.g. bag space solutions, talents, and so forth.

But the thing about vanilla, is that it made stuff feel bigger. One could say, "lol thats cause u were new", which is pure ignorance. Even now I could walk around vanilla areas and still find something knew, just look at something like Dire Maul, if you actually went a wrong way... You'd find something new, instead now Blizzard forces you back into the other direction for single, simple linear progression.

40man raids made things epic, you could just stop in a raid instance and look around at 39 other people doing their jobs and having fun. Need certain classes and certain specs, it was a hard thing to arrange.

Was it a grind for hours? Sure, PVE is always a grind, but are you saying PVE isn't a grind now days? Sorry but last time I checked grinding Naxx now at 80 is worse... Why? Because it is so easy, players started grinding it from day one, while vanilla raids you wiped over and over, you had to learn how to play certain bosses, and so forth... It was a different grind.

Things changed for the better?

For true gamers? For true MMORPGers?

No of course not, the game has turned into a casual-fest, and Blizzard knows this (and is taking advantage of it, Wii-style)... That is why they are making a new MMORPG and that is why people like Kaplan have moved on... A man that has made some of the greatest raiding encounters is moving on, a man that based himself on old-style raiding.

Will Vanilla servers work? I think they would, they would give a lot of new players an experience that they never had. I personally didn't get past MC and did AQ20/ZG, and would want to relive vanilla. It wouldn't be as good, sure, but it is the next best thing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Death1942

i think Blizz really REALLY needs to bring ALL of the old raids up to 80 (copy them if you must).  Why the hell should they 1. ditch at least 50% of their possible raid content  2. ditch unique dungeons and raids due to out leveling them and 3. deny many new players the experiance of playing through those dungeons (none of that just bring 5 80's crap, its more fun in a raid)

To me all it would take is a few level adjustments and some changing of loot and stats...thats about it.   I dont see why they dont do this.  On topic...it would also remove the need for Classic servers (in my opinion) but hey, i dont PvP and i heard it has changed signifigantly

I agree, we will not see an official vanilla server but to uppgrade the old RAIDs is not that hard.

However it might not be popular enough, Wow have a different subscription base now than it had 5 years ago.

Blizzard should make a revamp of the game, upgrade the graphics, make flying mounts usable everywhere and upgrade the old content. They have the money for it (and a lot more) and it would make the game last a few years longer.

• WingmaWingma Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Death1942

I agree, we will not see an official vanilla server but to uppgrade the old RAIDs is not that hard.

However it might not be popular enough, Wow have a different subscription base now than it had 5 years ago.

Blizzard should make a revamp of the game, upgrade the graphics, make flying mounts usable everywhere and upgrade the old content. They have the money for it (and a lot more) and it would make the game last a few years longer.

Flying mounts have their advantages and disadvantages, overall I'd say they ruined the game for me more then added to it. Flying around super fast and avoiding everything isn't really a feel of an MMORPG, this is why Blizzard didn't include them in the first seven levels in WOTLK. Sure they added another dimension to the game, with many areas players couldn't get to before, and stuff like that. But killing player interaction in the process? That is not in the nature of an MMORPG, traveling across lands to do what you needed to do wasn't a bug that needed to be fixed by flying mounts, it is what made the original WoW what it was because it was one continuous land piece rather then seperate instanced zones.

• skychainskychain Member UncommonPosts: 66

The only way to play Pre BC is on private servers and they arent great

Played: Archlord, GW, RFO, Knight Online, Silkroad, WoW, Rappelz, shaiya, Flyff, Fury, Space Cowboy, Perfect World Beta, Rakion, sword of the new world, Linage 1 and 2, Savage 1

Playing: CSS

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Pointless nostalgia. A better solution is to rewamp the old dungeons, boss encounters and raids for the 80's. I don't know why they don't do it though. They are literally swimming in money and should have no problem setting up some 50 or so people to rewamp all the old crap. Sure, it'll cost alot, but the fans deserve it, and Blizzard should give something back to the old fans. In my opinion, Blizzard owe the fans atleast that much.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

If you really want it (I must say that could be fun) make a petition in the official forums, as soon as 1million ppl sign it blizzard might see that it would be in their interest to open such a serv. Plus blizzard prolly has the old codes archived.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• kingbloopkingbloop Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by BiggusRiggus

what he said.

• QurellQurell Member Posts: 41

In the same way as PVE -> PVP transfers never would happen right?

I think this might be an option in about 3-4 years. If there is a demand blizzard will provide...

There is a a huge diff between allowing transfers between all servers and opening up classic servers.

the coding difference is huge, bugs that were fixed via adding TBC will need a differnt way of fixing them, all the old talents put back in, all the spells put back in, new ones gained at lower lvls taken out...do we need to keep listing more?

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i would certainly play on a classix server . theres massive problems with the endgame since the lich king was released . so much so most people i know are just leveling alts in the hope it will get better later in the year . warcraft is still healthy in terms of subs but things really do need to change soon . i know plenty of people who would come back to enjoy the classic style of game play again .

if anything they should add more content to the old world. so when people are lvling up there alts they can do something different.

• QurellQurell Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by kingbloop

There is a a huge diff between allowing transfers between all servers and opening up classic servers.

the coding difference is huge, bugs that were fixed via adding TBC will need a differnt way of fixing them, all the old talents put back in, all the spells put back in, new ones gained at lower lvls taken out...do we need to keep listing more?

If there is money to be made then it will be done. But i don't think the demand is high enough for this yet.

I just added the comment about PVE->PVP transfers as people were using the 'blue' posts as proof that it never would happen back then as well. But yes, it's costly to have two development branches with diverging sets of code.

In the end we will just have to wait and see

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

battlegrounds ruined the game so I'd come back if they were gone and tey let you capture contested.

• YippleYipple Member Posts: 46

There will never be Classic servers, boring topic/thread.

Had to remove signature because of lame code of conduct...

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Funny, that's the same thing they said about PVE -> PvP transfers. One thing you should know by now is that game developers have very little integrity. They are fairly lazy and money-hungry though, and both of those lead me to believe you are right in saying it will never happen.

I'm sure PvP priests and shamans would love this kind of server.  Warlocks and Paladins, not so much.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.