Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC problem please help

13»

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I think you should hook up that power supply from your old PC with the x1600 and see what happens :)

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

In all honesty posters like Cleffy have gave advice and if you cant sort it from there then you should take it to the shop you bought it from or a PC shop in general.

At the end of the day if you cant sort it from the people like Cleffy's advice then you wont sort it from this forum,also trying different things could end up costing you more cash.

My advice would be ..bite the bullet and get it into a proper shop and get your pc running like it should.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• DeadlySwordzDeadlySwordz Member UncommonPosts: 91

well if tried everything...last night i did a full system restore to factory settings...so now im testing it out now....if this doesn't work then Gateway told me i will probably have to send it in to them for repairs........but still i wanted some opinions from people about if it's my power supply etc and what power supply i should look into replacing my power supply.....with comparing to the corsair i found on newegg...and wanted to know if i do really need a new power supply if i should get a dual +12V Rail one or get a Single +12V Rail one...i only know a little about computers as why im asking the community for help with things.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Actually 700w PSU is more than enough for 9600gt ,usual suspects for pc freezes are heat,driver problems and PSU generally .If you have a chance try with another PSU before sending pc to gateway. I would choose single rail psu over dual/multi rails and corsair  has very nice ones .Btw airflow in your case is it good?

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

I didn't read every post in this thread so If this has been addressed, my apologies.

There is a lot of really good information hear.

After building a Gaming PC I had similar issues with video and BSD issues.

How old is your Mionitor? Check the manufacture specs for response time.

For the higher end Gamer PC you monitor should have a response time of  9 Milliseconds or lower.

Just a tought, but that's what was causing my issues.

well after doing the full system restore to factory settings...tested it out yesterday on Left 4 Dead and after 20 minutes of playing i got the "no signal" problem again. my PC is well ventilated, i even have one side of my tower wide open as well for even better ventilation. like i said in my previous posts, this no signal problem happens only when i play videogames, if my PC is just on or im just looking at websites the problem doesn't occur at all...only on games. and the weird thing is that it happens at random. can play games for a few hrs with nothing happening, can go for 2-3 days as well...or i can play for 10 mintues sometimes and it happens. sometimes it happens a few times in a matter of a half hr as well.

the PSU i have  now....i have no idea if it's a dual +12V rail or a single +12V rail. but read on a site that higher end PC's they recommend single rail PSU's. so maybe mine is dual? ...but i think im going to send my PC to Gateway still..i already contacted Gateway and got all the info...i also contacted PNY and im sending my 9600GT to them to. as for monitors, i recently bought a new one 2 weeks ago 23inch Acer one and its 5ms response time. also back in december when this problem started i had a 19inch Gateway Monitor 5ms response time. but it's happening on both monitors.

this was the interesting thread i found www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php

and this is my exact PSU i found onlinebut i don't see anywhere if its dual or single +12V rail ..  www.barebonekit.net/itemdesc.asp

your PSU has 4 rails can deliver 50A with 4 of them according to info

Originally posted by jagd1

i dont know how you can tell with the website to my PSU on how many rails it has, lol.  i happen to take out my 9600gt and i installed my 8600gt that came with my Gateway when i ordered it. this card doesn't require a 6-pin connection via the PSU like the 9600gt does......been playn Left 4 Dead for a decent amount of time with no problems today but can't say for sure if its going to happen or not. but you say my PSU has 4 Rails...im guessing thats bad then? should i look into getting a sinlge +12V Rail PSU then?

Originally posted by DeadlySwordz

Originally posted by jagd1

i dont know how you can tell with the website to my PSU on how many rails it has, lol.

If i cant tell why are you asking ? Go to webpage and look to output info

# +12 V1 / 18.0 A

# +12 V2 / 16.0 A

# +12 V3 / 18.0 A

# +12 V4 / 18.0 A , 4 +12v rails and '' Maximum combined load on +12 V is 50 A ''  not a hard thing to tell  . Rail amounth dont show psu is good or bad but single rail has one advantage you dont have a limit on +12v line  ,i dont want to confuse you .Look for corsair /enermax/pc power PSU with single rail  if youll change psu

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

If your pc requires a hard-boot then there should be an error report in the Administrator logs stating what caused it. You may also check in bios to see what the computer is set to do upon encountering an error.

Considering that you said that you "crash" with a sound loop, then you may consider disabling your on-board sound in the bios. Yes, this sounds far fetched, but you have pretty much eliminated all other possibilities.

For future reference, you can find the specifications for your Gateway HERE. <---click dat

Good luck.

Edit: pelling

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• Tommy211Tommy211 Member Posts: 41

Try unplugging the cable from the screen to the power unit and switching it round. Or if it's the old blue cable try and upgrade to a digital cable.

• Dreadknot357Dreadknot357 Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Respit

If your pc requires a hard-boot then there should be an error report in the Administrator logs stating what caused it. You may also check in bios to see what the computer is set to do upon encountering an error.

Considering that you said that you "crash" with a sound loop, then you may consider disabling your on-board sound in the bios. Yes, this sounds far fetched, but you have pretty much eliminated all other possibilities.

For future reference, you can find the specifications for your Gateway HERE. <---click dat

Good luck.

Edit: pelling

lol you beat me to it ....I just read through this whole thread  going "i can beleave everone just jumps to Power supply?"

and not Sound driver.......

that is the second most common Conflict for a blue screen , or hard reboot.  Noone Also metioned to set it to post the Blue Screen so you could see the Error.  you just jump to tell him he might need a New PSU.  that wouls have been cool if he got a new one and it was a sound driver..?

If it is a sound issue  Between DX9 , Sound driver (Realtek?), and the new card.

A system Restore will "Restore the problem."

IF thats a pre built PC and you are restoring the the OS and Bloatware From a Partion HD  then thats your Problem there agian

That Restore is for your orignal Setup. Addin  new hardware  will conflict with the Drivers preinstalled.

the first thing you do is trouble shoot your PC  ....do listen to anything that could sound like this  "dude you need more ram...or you PSU is broke."

LOOK up how to uninstall a Nivida Driver  (DiskSweaper  method)

It will also Clean out Any old sound drivers.  (Make sure you do not unstall the Chipset unless you already downloaded the nForce drivers)

Run the Sweaper in Safe mode

Download the new Drivers

IF that does not work   thats ruled out.

Next would be Bios update.

then Re seat your ram ( you cleaned out your case right you might of bumped it)

Your Ram timings could be off with new Bios

Run A Ram test.

Try all that if that doesnt work then post again and there is more trouble shooting that can be done.

I allmost  Certian its A sound Driver or conflict

OR a memory Isssue.

PSU is the last thing you would check... untill you rule everything out

I had the same problem with my Wifes CPU in "WOW" and it turned out to be A out of date Realtek driver.

"Beauty is only is only skin deep..." said the AMD/ATI fan. "Blah..Thats just what ugly people say..." said the Intel/Nvidia fan. You want price / performance, use the dollar menu..