Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost in a sea of MMOs

LykanLykan Member Posts: 4

Much like many others on this forum i am having a hard time finding really any MMOs i like enough to keep playing.My previous games played are Asheron's Call, Diablo, Guild Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, and of course World of Warcraft.I left most of the games because of the length i played them exhausted their content.I don't mind paying monthly and i love challenging content.I'm also a big fan of working in a group.I've had my eye on Darkfall but i'm not sure about the future of the game.With such an extensive list of MMOs i was hopeing someone could atleast help me narrow the field. I'd appriciate any help anyone could offer. If i left out any info that would be helpful just let me know and i'll answer the best i can Thanks

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Lord of the Rings Online or Everquest 2 could be the games for you

• Dippy11Dippy11 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Lykan

I don't mind paying monthly and i love challenging content.I'm also a big fan of working in a group.

Final Fantasy XI.  

Group-oriented, challenging, and an incredible amount of content. 

• LykanLykan Member Posts: 4

I'm not a huge fan of Lotr but Everquest 2 has caught my eye.One of the reasons i left WoW though is because of the amount of time you have to play to keep up with everyone is it the same way in EQ2?As far as Final Fantasy goes i was never into the games because of the turn base aspect so i may try it out now. Thanks for the responses

• URNotMegaURNotMega Member CommonPosts: 115

Check out both EQ2 and Vanguard.  If you enjoy both of them, you can get 1 monthly pass for both plus some other games run by Sony.  There should be a free trial for both also.

• TektonTekton Member UncommonPosts: 86

I'm not a huge fan of Lotr but Everquest 2 has caught my eye.One of the reasons i left WoW though is because of the amount of time you have to play to keep up with everyone is it the same way in EQ2?As far as Final Fantasy goes i was never into the games because of the turn base aspect so i may try it out now. Thanks for the responses

If you are like me and can't be hardcore (any longer for me) for various reasons and want a casual friendly or semi-casual friendly game I'd point you in the direction of Warhammer Online. There is a free trial up as well. I grew tired because it's very linear, at least it was when I played but it might appeal to you, you definatley don't have to put in 8+ hours a day to stay competitive.

As for FFXI, I havn't played this myself but I have been close to try it out, however the information I gathered regarding the game is that it's very time consuming. As a reference I saw someone say that to raise up a chocobo it would take a month irl time, I think it was on these boards.

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Tekton

If you are like me and can't be hardcore (any longer for me) for various reasons and want a casual friendly or semi-casual friendly game I'd point you in the direction of Warhammer Online. There is a free trial up as well. I grew tired because it's very linear, at least it was when I played but it might appeal to you, you definatley don't have to put in 8+ hours a day to stay competitive.

As for FFXI, I havn't played this myself but I have been close to try it out, however the information I gathered regarding the game is that it's very time consuming. As a reference I saw someone say that to raise up a chocobo it would take a month irl time, I think it was on these boards.

yes to raise a chocobo it is a months time, however the work is done mostly by an NPC all you have to do is log on once every day and feed the stupid thing.

Most of the time consuming th ings have been phased out, if you ever wanted to try FFXI now is the time.

• LykanLykan Member Posts: 4

i think i might try out EQ2 or Vangaurd as they sound to be my best bet ty for everyones response its definetly shortened my list of options

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Much like many others on this forum i am having a hard time finding really any MMOs i like enough to keep playing.My previous games played are Asheron's Call, Diablo, Guild Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, and of course World of Warcraft.I left most of the games because of the length i played them exhausted their content.I don't mind paying monthly and i love challenging content.I'm also a big fan of working in a group.I've had my eye on Darkfall but i'm not sure about the future of the game.With such an extensive list of MMOs i was hopeing someone could atleast help me narrow the field. I'd appriciate any help anyone could offer. If i left out any info that would be helpful just let me know and i'll answer the best i can Thanks

Given your history, I think you'd really like The Chonicles of Spellborn. The combat system is skill based and plays out a little like D&D Online (only it starts slower at low level before getting faster). And the game world reminds me more of Asheron's Call than anything I played before it. Its not seamless like AC, but its natural and rewards exploring in the same way.

Its got a free trial that lets you play for the first 8 levels. It takes some getting used to, but with your history I can see you're used to that and probably welcome the changes. The quests in the first zone are a little snoozy since they give you too many kills and fed-ex quests, but it gives you some time to experiment with the combat system. The quests really start to pick up after the first zone.