Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about the game.

MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Sorry if these have been asked before, but I had a few questions. A few friend's of mine got this game on the 360, they said it was also playable on the PC. Am I able to actually play with them if they are on the xbox version? They also said they are paying $1 a month, and around $13 for creating a new character. Yet I see here that it is a monthly sub for $12.95 and $19.99 retail, am I able to do the sub they have? One more question, I know there that there is around 4 expansions for the game, does the retail box for PC come with all these for $15? He was able to buy it for the xbox for $15 including all the expansions. Thanks for any help! Sorry if these have been asked to death.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

360, PC, and PS2 can all play together.

30 free days if you get the box set for 15 bucks right now. One content ID (which is what you use to be able to make your characters) is 12.95 while any additional ones on the same handle (just means same account) is an extra buck a month.

The new box set for 15 bucks has all expansions.

Also, before you make your character, have your friend pick up a Gold World Pass in the game and send you the number for it so you both can get goodies.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Hrm, they have gotten mixed up about the subs then and thanks for the reply. Right now I am running through the free 14-day trial, does the trial have any limits? Am I still able to join all the servers available to a full subscriber? Thanks again!

--------------------

• apacettijrapacettijr Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yes you are free to join any server except Odin I believe I dont think you can create characters on that server due to population issues (someone correct me if I am wrong here).  Other than that the only limitation is you have no expansions with the trial account but you only have it for 14 days so may take you a bit longer to reach those areas.  There is also a fishing limitation to help with the RMT that is on its dying end.  The collection with all the expansions is a great deal considering the price for all the content you get, have fun in game :)  Let us know if we can help with anything else.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Thanks again for the replies, on another note I finally got the game patched up and running. I went to create a character, I realise the game is pretty old as such it is running in like 640x800(which is horrible, yes I am spoiled about graphics). The xbox version seemed much better than it looks on the PC, I have read there are tweaks out there to help with the graphics and was wondering if there is a website that shows how/let me know on this thread. Thanks again.

--------------------

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by MaGicBush

I have read there are tweaks out there to help with the graphics and was wondering if there is a website that shows how/let me know on this thread. Thanks again.

Dreams in Vana'diel ~ Damn good FFXI forums...tons of info and links!

Enabled higher resolution on background textures. Game looks amazing. Look to see how ~ read it all...lots of old and updated info throughout all the pages!

Thanks for the links, looking through those I don't see any way to change the default keys? The default keys are very combersome, is there a way to rebind keys for different functions? And alt+tabbing is illegal?? why? Sorry for asking so many questions :(.

--------------------

It's in the config in game. Just change it to compact. I use a controller though, cause I always have and it works well.

There is a windowed mode. It in the FFXI config outside of the game.

Thanks for the links, looking through those I don't see any way to change the default keys? The default keys are very combersome, is there a way to rebind keys for different functions? And alt+tabbing is illegal?? why? Sorry for asking so many questions :(.

Alt+Tabbing was banned a long time ago before it hit the US cause of botting and running program which required tabbing out to activate.  Course from what I've heard its possible to not have to tab out anymore for those that still attempt it.  They were put in place for the US launch to prevent us from doing it and since then just never took it out until recently with the windowed mode.  This was finally activated in response to so many players using the windower mod.

The worst thing that went on for so long I remember was the 'Window Key' between Ctrl and Alt....2 buttons you use quite freqently for all macros used to obviously send you to windows and you'd lose full-screen and get kicked from the game.  That went on for a long while and was very annoying....so much downtime in result of ppl accidentally hitting that key...many players I knew including myself we just took the key off after awhile.

Another was pressing Alt+Esc, 2 keys you also use a lot but not together; though on occassion you'd hit them together and that too would kick you from the game.  I believe this problem was after they turned off the 'windows key' issue!

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I don't play FFXI anymore and don't think I ever could again (though I wish I never left.) But it was the best MMO I ever played. The community makes the game. It's so much better than normal.. at least it was when I was playing it.

I was kinda tempted to do the free trial.. but i don't think I'll get pretty far because of the starting areas being difficult fo find groups, am I right?

Originally posted by natuxatu

I was kinda tempted to do the free trial.. but i don't think I'll get pretty far because of the starting areas being difficult fo find groups, am I right?

Well, the starting areas are programmed to be solo, or at least until level 10 and with the increased XP from easy and Decent Prey as well as the 'new players tutorial' it only take a few hours now and then you're off to the Dunes and into grouping from then on, or you can even solo past the dunes now on all classes easily and start in Qufim!

I don't play FFXI anymore and don't think I ever could again (though I wish I never left.) But it was the best MMO I ever played. The community makes the game. It's so much better than normal.. at least it was when I was playing it.

Seen many a player go through starter areas with no problems and dunes and Qufim, ect. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd actually see about getting the old character back.

Originally posted by Khrymson

Alt+Tabbing was banned a long time ago before it hit the US cause of botting and running program which required tabbing out to activate.  Course from what I've heard its possible to not have to tab out anymore for those that still attempt it.  They were put in place for the US launch to prevent us from doing it and since then just never took it out until recently with the windowed mode.  This was finally activated in response to so many players using the windower mod.

The worst thing that went on for so long I remember was the 'Window Key' between Ctrl and Alt....2 buttons you use quite freqently for all macros used to obviously send you to windows and you'd lose full-screen and get kicked from the game.  That went on for a long while and was very annoying....so much downtime in result of ppl accidentally hitting that key...many players I knew including myself we just took the key off after awhile.

Another was pressing Alt+Esc, 2 keys you also use a lot but not together; though on occassion you'd hit them together and that too would kick you from the game.  I believe this problem was after they turned off the 'windows key' issue!

Those were the days. Every once in a while I'd accidently Alt + Esc (was holding down the alt key for macros while hitting escape to clear the chat window. They stopped long before they added the window mode. Hitting that combo now in full screen mode doesn't do anything which is cool. I'd get so pissed at myself.

Of course it was also good for getting out of a party quickly by DCing. Did you know that if you hit CTRL+ ALT + Delete on VIsta you will automattically crash FFXI . You don't even have to go into the task manager and end the game. It does it for you. Just saying.

You can find groups without much problem now a days. Before they added the level sync system it started getting a little dicey, but after they added it and Fields of Valor the n00b zones have had life breathed back into them. It is cool. I recommend playing the trial ... it is free, what do you have to lose.

I went through the trial for the last 3 days, and decided to just buy it on the xbox. This way I can talk with the headset while we play, better communication. Thanks for the advice everyone, now to get my White Mage past level to for level sync..

--------------------