Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Secondary per Class

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Whats the Worst Secondary class to have per Class?

Dervish + ? =Fail

Warrior + ? = Fail

Monk + ? = Fail

Ritualist +? = Fail

Elementalist + ? = Fail

Ranger + ? = Fail

Necromancer + ? = Fail

Assassin + ? = Fail

Paragon + ? = Fail

Mesmer + ? = Fail

Comments

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

There is no such thing as a "Worst Secondary".

Every single class in the game can feasibly be grouped with any other secondary. Every class has some unique skill in the game that if used properly is good.

So your question doesn't really make any sense. If you know what the hell your doing and are good at GW, you should be able to use ANY secondary class and still produce a good build.

Prime example last night....

I was doing random arena cause I was bored. I made a PvP sin.

I did not give the sin a secondary class.

1. It didn't need one, I was using a Palm Strike Spiker build, every skill is Sin (I could have used the warrior skill "Flurry" but opted to use "Way of the Lotus" instead for energy management)

2. Was just in a hurry to set all my armor and skill bar, didn't really think to set a secondary (just for looks) I guess.

Anyway I join RA and as soon as all 4 of us zone in 1 idiot goes "Look another no sec noob".........

right.... cause I really needed a W or Mo or Me next to my name when every skill on the bar minus res sig was a Sin related skill.... Now who is the idiot.....

We go on to win the match with only 3 and pick up a not so stupid ranger after that fight.

So anyway, you can use anything and everything, mix and match what you want. It will all come together if you know what you're doing.

Also don't metagame, it kills intellect in a game such a GW, quit reading the "PVxi" wiki site trying to fight the "1337" build for the week. Use your brain and make your on. GW grows stale at times due to "Meta gaming" and "Net Decker" Noobs.

**That part wasn't directed at you OP. Just for anyone who reads it...... Expand their minds... ya know?

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Generically most close combat classes got lacking synergy with the casting ones, except possibly /Rt for hard res or /E for a Conjure. For caster classes it's usually quite useless to pick a secondary close combat class, except /W for added defense or /A for speedboost or defense. Typically /P is an always bad choice except for in HA where you need Song of Concentration and "Make Haste!". There's not really any worst choice, a lot depends on what skills you pick from the main profession and secondary one. I've probably seen every possible combination being used with skills from both professions and the resulting bar being from not too bad to overpowered. So saying one combination is worst is kind of hard really.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

If you're not going to use your secondary profession, then it doesn't matter what you pick. 

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're not going to use your secondary profession, then it doesn't matter what you pick. 

Or if you set one at all, which is what I do. If Every skill on my bar is from the main profession and I do not need a secondary classes skills, I don't even set one.

But some people think that if you don't have a next to your class with insert "random class letter here", you are a noob....

They must be new to guild wars I guess.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by skydragonren

Or if you set one at all, which is what I do. If Every skill on my bar is from the main profession and I do not need a secondary classes skills, I don't even set one.

But some people think that if you don't have a next to your class with insert "random class letter here", you are a noob....

Well, are we talking about PvE or PvP?

as there is no way you can NOT have a second profession in PvE, in all three campaigns its part of the starter area to get a second profession

imageimage

Originally posted by Quizzical If you're not going to use your secondary profession, then it doesn't matter what you pick. 

To be honest you usually pick a secondary to make it less obvious what skills you bring on your skill bar. I typically I go W/E on my warrior in PvE, regardless of if I'm actually bringing secondary skills and the reason is that usually they will believe I'm using Shock and watch out for it. Same goes for when I go necro in TA or RA I usually take N/W simply because people will assume that I'm bringing blocking stances or Shield Bash, which means they'll focus less on me. And really, it works.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Godliest

To be honest you usually pick a secondary to make it less obvious what skills you bring on your skill bar. I typically I go W/E on my warrior in PvE, regardless of if I'm actually bringing secondary skills and the reason is that usually they will believe I'm using Shock and watch out for it. Same goes for when I go necro in TA or RA I usually take N/W simply because people will assume that I'm bringing blocking stances or Shield Bash, which means they'll focus less on me. And really, it works.

Iam confused. Why would they Focus less with you in PvE? We talking bout NPC right?

Originally posted by tro44_1

Iam confused. Why would they Focus less with you in PvE? We talking bout NPC right?

Alright I will try and help you.

"I typically I go W/E on my warrior in PvE" - He was talking about PvE here

"Same goes for when I go necro in TA or RA I usually take N/W simply because people will assume that I'm bringing blocking stances or Shield Bash, which means they'll focus less on me. And really, it works." - He is talking about PvP here. TA = Team Arenas and RA = Random Arena

I see what your saying Godliest, but honestly in the Arenas, I never really seen a point in setting a secondary on my assassin which is what people seem to have a problem with.

I use a Palm Strike Spike build on it, and I took flurry out of the build for lotus. Which means every skill on the bar is Assassin based.

I do not need to try to confuse anyone, 3 seconds into the fight, when the first person I choose is face down in the dirt, they usually know by then what I am using. No need to try and mask it. If I am playing against anyone who has played GW for any reasonable amount of time. They know a Palm Strike Spiker when they see it.

I guess it is just personal pref.

I don't get pissy when I am playing with warriors or other classes who do not set a sec profession. If they dont need one then they dont need one. As long as they can play their class well and kill with the swiftness, who gives a shit what their sec profession is.

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177

there is no worse class you use diffrent builds for diffrent things and you can change your 2nd class anytime simple play the game first before making a retarded thread like this

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

For PvE purposes, you really should pick a secondary class, if only to unlock additional skills as quest rewards as you go.  Even if you've unlocked everything, there is no drawback to your character getting additional skills for free.

For PvE purposes, you really should pick a secondary class, if only to unlock additional skills as quest rewards as you go.  Even if you've unlocked everything, there is no drawback to your character getting additional skills for free.

you have no choice in PvE, you HAVE to choose a secondary, even if you don't use it

imageimage

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

They all are good but I would guess that paragon would be the least used. I know some run ranger/paragon and warrior/paragon but not sure they are the most popular builds these days.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Using close combat with a caster proff or vice versa is generally pointless, unless perhaps you use illusionary weaponry imo

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Originally posted by Man1ac

Using close combat with a caster proff or vice versa is generally pointless, unless perhaps you use illusionary weaponry imo

I dunno, I wasrunning with a guildie the other night using a Necro/Assasing with daggers using a vile touch/plague touch style build...   I tottally out did him on damage with my Derv/Ass Balthazar Dagger build, but hewas taking down enemies pretty well and surviving

imageimage

I am confused. Why would they Focus less with you in PvE? We talking bout NPC right?

Sorry. My bad, it should be PvP there too. No idea why I wrote PvE in all honesty, must've been confused.

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1
    Originally posted by Man1ac Using close combat with a caster proff or vice versa is generally pointless, unless perhaps you use illusionary weaponry imo

I dunno, I wasrunning with a guildie the other night using a Necro/Assasing with daggers using a vile touch/plague touch style build... I tottally out did him on damage with my Derv/Ass Balthazar Dagger build, but hewas taking down enemies pretty well and surviving

As a response to you, Lonesamurai1, what builds were you running? If he ran a N/A that was spiking then he will kill easier whereas you will be able to maintain a better pressure, but probably kill slower. Additionally a N/A will be targeted much much more often than a D/A, especially if the D/A is using Avatar of Balthazar, even with a self-heal this will prove troublesome. Basically from the, few, conclusions I can draw from your comments about the builds I'd also say that the build you were running was better overall: while damage may be significant it's far from everything, and with Avatar of Balthazar you get a quite huge armor boost as well as a constant 33% IMS, and if you took Heart of Fury you also got a 33% IAS; as a Dervish you also got a higher base armor than a necro.

As I said previously, there's always exceptions, but generally speaking Man1ac is correct: combat classes with caster secondaries only take that combination for the passive buffs (conjures) or single good skills (Grasping Earth, Shock) that can be accessed then. If you as a caster class take a combat one secondary then you typically do that because you want the defensive skills that can be accessed through that class (Shield Bash, Dark Escape, Return etc). However it's very rare to see a good build combining a caster primary or secondary with a m

I am confused. Why would they Focus less with you in PvE? We talking bout NPC right?

Sorry. My bad, it should be PvP there too. No idea why I wrote PvE in all honesty, must've been confused.

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

Originally posted by Man1ac

I dunno, I wasrunning with a guildie the other night using a Necro/Assasing with daggers using a vile touch/plague touch style build... I tottally out did him on damage with my Derv/Ass Balthazar Dagger build, but hewas taking down enemies pretty well and surviving

As a response to you, Lonesamurai1, what builds were you running? If he ran a N/A that was spiking then he will kill easier whereas you will be able to maintain a better pressure, but probably kill slower. Additionally a N/A will be targeted much much more often than a D/A, especially if the D/A is using Avatar of Balthazar, even with a self-heal this will prove troublesome. Basically from the, few, conclusions I can draw from your comments about the builds I'd also say that the build you were running was better overall: while damage may be significant it's far from everything, and with Avatar of Balthazar you get a quite huge armor boost as well as a constant 33% IMS, and if you took Heart of Fury you also got a 33% IAS; as a Dervish you also got a higher base armor than a necro.

As I said previously, there's always exceptions, but generally speaking Man1ac is correct: combat classes with caster secondaries only take that combination for the passive buffs (conjures) or single good skills (Grasping Earth, Shock) that can be accessed then. If you as a caster class take a combat one secondary then you typically do that because you want the defensive skills that can be accessed through that class (Shield Bash, Dark Escape, Return etc). However it's very rare to see a good build combining a caster primary or secondary with a mêlée primary or secondary that combines a fair amount from both primary or secondary. Hitting people and casting some spells on them have a tendency to work out quite bad.

As a little final note Illusionary Weaponry is a really bad skill. It's only positive thing is that it gets past blocking and blind, but for that it sacrifices the by far best condition in GW: Deep Wound. Additionally it can't take advantage of +damage skills to cause damagespikes. The autoattack damage is also pretty meh, a warrior autoattacking does around the same damage. You will also have a quite bad armor for a frontliner. Maybe fun to play around with, but not good.

Dunno, no idea what he was running

imageimage

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

There isn't one. To be honest there's most likely a large number of excellent combos out there that people may not expect to work well but most likely do. 

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

Generically most close combat classes got lacking synergy with the casting ones, except possibly /Rt for hard res or /E for a Conjure. For caster classes it's usually quite useless to pick a secondary close combat class, except /W for added defense or /A for speedboost or defense. Typically /P is an always bad choice except for in HA where you need Song of Concentration and "Make Haste!". There's not really any worst choice, a lot depends on what skills you pick from the main profession and secondary one. I've probably seen every possible combination being used with skills from both professions and the resulting bar being from not too bad to overpowered. So saying one combination is worst is kind of hard really.

Right on... There is no bad secondary for any profession, only bad (or should I say ineffective, relatively speaking)  uses of them. The keyword is "synergy".