Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW freezing problem

AKxALLxDAYAKxALLxDAY Member Posts: 70

First of my specs are:

CPU

2 processors running - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz

PASS

CPU Speed

1.83 GHz Performance Rated at 3.56 GHz

PASS

System RAM

You Have: 3.0 GB

Operating System

You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)

Video Card

You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family)

Video RAM: , You have - 230 MB

Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - , You have - Yes

Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - , You have - Yes

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)

Your driver version number is: 7.15.10.1472

Sound Card

You Have: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel

Sound Card Driver Version

Your driver version number is: 6.0

First i log on wow i play for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then it completly stops(the screen freezes) for a good 30 seconds, then it works again for another 5-60 min then It freezes again and this time my whole comp stops literally i cant even open up internet and i have to restart comp and then i log back into wow and deal with this problem again. the wierd part is my wow NEVER laggs it just completely stops it happens anywhere in game on any char doing any action so its really annoying in pvp or questing any ideas/fixes plz help. this problem has made me unsub from wow twice.

Playing:
WoW Sentanced Level 80 DK
GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
DF Max Pain Dwarf
Played:
KO EVE SL RS WAR RoM EQ1 Allods OI
Waiting for:
Cataclysm
Diablo 3
APB!!!
GW2

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Its your video card.  There isnt an Intel Video chipset in existence that can play 3D games for long durations of time.  I am surprised you lasted so long before encountering freezing.

• AKxALLxDAYAKxALLxDAY Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Its your video card.  There isnt an Intel Video chipset in existence that can play 3D games for long durations of time.  I am surprised you lasted so long before encountering freezing.

Thats what i originally thought but it ran WAR and GW and it could do so for any amount of time it also ran sl and coh and cov so mayybe its heating

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Video card is your problem.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by AKxALLxDAY

Originally posted by Cleffy

Thats what i originally thought but it ran WAR and GW and it could do so for any amount of time it also ran sl and coh and cov so mayybe its heating

When a game stops but does not crash and then resumes it normaly is overheating.. WoW does max out your gfx card and CPU, my CPU can peek at 60 when playing wow for a while yet other games like CoD4 it stays around 50.  Only when playing wow does my 2nd case fan kick in.

Buy ya'self a $50 gfx card like a nvidia 8600GT or Radeon X1650pro with 512mb .. it will free up ya system ram, run cooler and best of all you can ramp up the graphics.

how do i do that when i have a laptop with an integrated videocard could best buy do it

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

have you tried running WOW with no UI addons ?

thats helped me sometimes when I had a sluggish computer

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

how do i do that when i have a laptop with an integrated videocard could best buy do it

Best buy could do it.  You could also do it yourself.  Have you ever taken apart a laptop before?  If so, its all plug and play.  If you have never done it before well then it could get a little tricky.  There should be a series of screws that need to be taken out in order to take off the keyboard piece to access the motherboard where you will see the memory and the video card, HD, etc. after that, all you have to do is take out the video card and install a new on regarding the type of motherboard. 

This all might be a little intimidating if you've never really done it before, so seeking help would be your best bet. Or have best buy or any other computer facility install a new one for you.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

Originally posted by hvc801

Best buy could do it.  You could also do it yourself.  Have you ever taken apart a laptop before?  If so, its all plug and play.  If you have never done it before well then it could get a little tricky.  There should be a series of screws that need to be taken out in order to take off the keyboard piece to access the motherboard where you will see the memory and the video card, HD, etc. after that, all you have to do is take out the video card and install a new on regarding the type of motherboard. 

This all might be a little intimidating if you've never really done it before, so seeking help would be your best bet. Or have best buy or any other computer facility install a new one for you.

Thanks alot but my graphics card is inegrated can they still change it.

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I think the addons question is a good point, I've had experience with buggy versions of damage meter addons and others that can freeze things up for a good 30 seconds because of too much data retention.  Try vanilla WoW real quick, if it has no problems then start narrowing down the addons, either disable one at a time or get an addon that tracks processing/memory usage.

The integrated video does suck but the behavior shouldn't be what you described if it was the problem, plus I've played WoW on far worse intel gpu laptops without a problem.  Might also make sure the power settings are set to full performance when plugged in or whatever.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

COntrol Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>Applications/System Logs

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

For me although your graphic card is quite poor I would have to go with the overheating,If you have played games in the past(and by your list you have played games the require more than wow does)have you tried openning your laptop and maybe giving it a clean?

Yes your card will hold you back big time but when I played wow on my laptop my card wasnt much better and it ran fine...for the most part.

Sometimes a problem that you think is major could just be something like a massive build up of dust stopping your system from being cooled properly,If in doubt maybe take it to your nearest shop(unless you can do it yourself ofc)explain the problem and mention you think it could be overheating and let them have a look,you may end up going back to find a small bill and a big lump of grim.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

my comp is relativly new and the addon i only have on and i installed yesturday so i kno its not the problem im assumeing the only win win is to by a cooler and a graphics card

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

my comp is relativly new and the addon i only have on and i installed yesturday so i kno its not the problem im assumeing the only win win is to by a cooler and a graphics card

Well my advice would be to still take it to a shop,at the end of the day if you start guessing and buying new upgrades you could be throwing good money after bad.

I dont know enough about your system to say what the problem is ..but then again niether does anyone else here.

If I had to give advice I would say let someone have a look at it that knows what to look for,or if you have the money buy a new system...maybe harsh but I think fair.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

I can also say the addons in WoW do take up a large chunk of fps, but I have to agree that the underlining problem is your video card.

I had the EXACT same problem as you... it would play so long, then freeze at the worst possible times. I had to upgrade my video card, and I never had a problem since. I don't have anything special either.... 

Same thing when I used to try on my old company's laptop. Similar spec's, would never work for long periods of time. I can't say much about the other games you mentioned but I did try the same system with Guild Wars and had very few issues... it seems that WoW is much more gfx-hungry than other games in the same class (CoX, GW, etc).

Originally posted by Cammy

I can also say the addons in WoW do take up a large chunk of fps, but I have to agree that the underlining problem is your video card.

I had the EXACT same problem as you... it would play so long, then freeze at the worst possible times. I had to upgrade my video card, and I never had a problem since. I don't have anything special either.... 

Same thing when I used to try on my old company's laptop. Similar spec's, would never work for long periods of time. I can't say much about the other games you mentioned but I did try the same system with Guild Wars and had very few issues... it seems that WoW is much more gfx-hungry than other games in the same class (CoX, GW, etc).

yes rofl i have guild wars and i can run on MAX without lag

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

Good.. now re-read my post.

Warcraft is not guild wars... Warcraft requires more juice....

You need a new video card to play it, as been said.

i kno i just am saying what makes u think its not heating and also the second time ur comp would completly freeze on wow would ur whole comp pretty much lock up?

Playing:
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

i kno i just am saying what makes u think its not heating and also the second time ur comp would completly freeze on wow would ur whole comp pretty much lock up?

Whole PC would lock up...

and it is over heating.. because your video card is not powerful enough to run WoW... so everything else is straining trying to over compensate. 

upgrade your video card and Im sure it'll be much more smooth.

• BranXBranX Member UncommonPosts: 79

His GFX card runs WoW fine, my friend has the same.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

He also said he runs Warhammer Online fine and that game was far harder on my graphics card than WoW so I don't think it's a simple overheating issue.. did you try this?

Many players with Intel Graphic Cards have been reporting various graphical and crash related issues after patching. First and foremost we recommend players visit our Video Card Compatibility Page which can be found at the link below:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21085

These crashes should be resolved in patch 2.0.5, which is available for download now.

You can read the patch notes and instructions here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

If you are still experiencing graphical distortions or problems try to type this command into the chat window within game:

/console uifaster 0

This will alter the UI display to correct some interface anomalies. If you are unable to log into game due to crashing then they config.wtf file can be edited with this function as well.

-Open the "World of WarcraftWTF" folder on the hard drive.

-Open the "config.wtf" file in WordPad or like text editor.

-Enter the following line into the file and save.

Set UIFaster “x”

Where x equals:

0 – This turns off all UI acceleration

1 – For Internal Use Only - DO NOT USE!

2 – Enables partial UI acceleration only.

3 – Enables all UI acceleration.

Example:

Set UIFaster “2”

Note: For users experiencing graphical corruption of the User Interface,

it is recommended to try option 2 in order to correct the problem. If

this does not solve the issue, then use option 0 to disable all UI

Acceleration.