Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG fans are killing TOR before it launches

1235»

Comments

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

If they make a kick ass Star Wars game, the fans will rejoice. If they release garbage the wolves will tear it to shreads.

I don't blame any gamer 1 bit for being a complete pessimist nowadays with all the junk, and broken beta being pushed out. Big buisness has ruined MMOs in a huge way.

It's time we as gamers demanded more quality in a released product, and stop accepting paying for broken betas.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214

I agree that the NGE was a big mistake, and it makes it even worse that SOE wouldn't admit their mistake and fix it after most of their player base left the game.

That being said, I loved KOTOR before I ever tried SWG, so my judgements of TOR will be based much more on that game. Even before the NGE I always thought it would have been better to make a Star Wars MMO set in the KOTOR time period. At least that way it makes sense to have Jedi running around. Plus I loved the skill system in KOTOR. It added a lot more depth to the game and caused you to use your brain rather than just attacking everything in sight.

• DimajexDimajex Member Posts: 2

For my two cents, I can't claim to have played SWG more than an hours worth at a friend's house, but nothing is going to stop me, and I'd assume the majority of interested players from giving Bioware a fair shot.  I think KOTOR is a grand example of what a company can do right with a game in the star wars universe and thats all I need to know.  I've got my money right here.  Take it already!!!

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

They're going to try but they can't. Everyone knows (not even MMORPG's players) KOTOR is one of the greatest video games. Who really knows SWG ? Some mmorpg players.

• ]V[other]V[other Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by nanoviper

But all to often it is forgotten who killed SWG; and hint, hint it wasn't Sony it was the players.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

This has to be the biggest tard statement I've ever seen. They changed the game behind alot of people's back. To say that I as a player brought on changes that made me stop playing the game altogether, is stupid. Sony did the same as bend over their clients and rape them of their $$ ... bringing on HUGE core changes to the game right after taking people's cash for an expansion.

So, yeah like I wanted/had any control over bringing the changes that killed swg.

And its only natural to make comparisons between the 2 games, they are both star wars.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

This game will be a huge success when it comes to subscription numbers. Way better than SWG.

Having that said, I'm not sure if it's the game that the majority of people in these forums wants.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Well this isn't the game I wanted, infact I'm barely even reading up on it but I don't really care since Bioware came out almost on day 1 and said they wouldn't be making any type of simulator for the star wars world. They said it'll be about the being the hereo so it was obvious what not to expect. I don't see why old SWG fans should begrudge bioware when they indicated from the start to not expect what the old SWG fans want.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

IGN article on first details once it became official. In that article it says " "It's not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars," Ray emphasizes; "It's about being a hero." "

That's kind of what SOE said when they changed SWG, they wanted it to "be about being a hero". Anyway I sympothize with SWG vets even though I didn't get the chance to play it prior to the changes, I still want a game similar to the one they fondly recall but bioware was upfront and I see no reason to begrudge bioware.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Originally posted by ozmono

Well this isn't the game I wanted, infact I'm barely even reading up on it but I don't really care since Bioware came out almost on day 1 and said they wouldn't be making any type of simulator for the star wars world. They said it'll be about the being the hereo so it was obvious what not to expect. I don't see why old SWG fans should begrudge bioware when they indicated from the start to not expect what the old SWG fans want.

IGN article on first details once it became official. In that article it says " "It's not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars," Ray emphasizes; "It's about being a hero." "
    That's kind of what SOE said when they changed SWG, they wanted it to "be about being a hero". Anyway I sympothize with SWG vets even though I didn't get the chance to play it prior to the changes, I still want a game similar to the one they fondly recall but bioware was upfront and I see no reason to begrudge bioware.

And yet (waves hand) you will play it and like like the rest of us. Besides, it looks like they might actually be following some of SWG path with player housing, and who knows what. We shall see.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by ozmono

And yet (waves hand) you will play it and like like the rest of us. Besides, it looks like they might actually be following some of SWG path with player housing, and who knows what. We shall see.

Actually, I doubt I will play it, as I said I've barely been reading about it after I got the impression it wasn't for me. Maybe I will play it if I'm extremely bored but it'll take more than player housing to get me interested and I sincerly doubt if I did play it, that I'll enjoy it but you never no, so I guess we shall see.

EDIT lol, sorry I just realized you were doing the jedi mind trick, I thought you were serious and was trying to figure out the "(waves hand)" thingy :)

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

Dam, half the world is a SWG vet me included but im so god dam tired of listening to the old soe nrg bollocks.

I would like to think Bioware will take the good parts from SWG like crafting and player housing, space flight and put them in the game.

And i do hope Bioware take note of most of the vets, becouse this will be a large chunk of subs.

But also im a massive Star Wars fan so im expecting a dam good game, swg had its time a long time ago and is pretty much on its way out as soon as ToR lands.

I love  - kotor, jade empire and mass effect which are usually installed at all times and i did have great faith in bioware till EA appeared, now i just cross my fingers and hope they dont stuff it up.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Does the TOR community at-large think that SWG fans should "get over it?"  Most probably not.  Does the TOR community at-large find the actions of a completely different company to be relevant to TOR?  No.

So yeah, it sucks what SOE did to the SOE subscriber base, but SOE =/= Bioware and those events are largely irrelavant to TOR.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

BRING THE PRE CU BACK OR THE GAME WILL DIE! NOTHING, NO GAME MECHANIC IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND WAS EVER BETTER. AND NO DEV TEAM WAS EVER DUMBER FOR DESTROYING IT.  IF THE CU NEVER HAPPENED, WOW WOULD NEVER HAD BECOME THE #1 MMO.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Par`a`dox

What an ignorant post by the OP.  Why don't you go do some research about your beloved TOR (and no, I dont play galaxies) 

Why don't you compare the dev names on tor to the dev names that were on galaxies.  You might find something you didnt want to know.

Yeah.. so are you saying we are going to have SWG2.. same lame devs that NEVER got SWG right, and would like another chance at failure?  That is what makes me nervous.. because I do remember ALL the BS and hate and PRE-CU.. I remember EVER broken element of that game, and WHY it failed failed failed......

Personally, If I was boss I wouldn't have ONE person from SWG making decisions in TOR..  HELL.. look at our auto industry today.. Would you higher the CEO of  GM to run your new auto company?  I think NOT   In fact, because of that..  I refuse to buy this game when it first comes out.. I will see what the boards say after a couple months or so before spending any $$$..  One thing I did learn from being a SOE customer.. NEVER TRUST a single word from ANY dev on any of their games..

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

I love how  TOR looks and how it's progressing , to me this game has nothing to do with SWG so be it .

Anything else does not matter to me i'll be there when it launches to have fun .

** yes i played SWG at launch and for a few years but nver though it was a good game really but that my opinion.

• rekkorrekkor Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by nanoviper

I just want to express my annoyance with the SWG fanboys as a whole, and their perpetual pessimism towards this game. The fact of the matter is SWG was a good game, it was complex and quite frankly a work of art as far as games go; But all to often it is forgotten who killed SWG; and hint, hint it wasn't Sony it was the players.                                                                                                                                                                                                             SWG was great and I have never found a better community of players (which is what caused the game to stay a float for so long),

You contradicted your first paragraph with the very first sentence of the next paragraph, lol but i get what your saying.  I just happen to disagree.  Your right about the rose colored glasses we wear when looking back but if SWG wasn't run by idiots they might have possibly made the game work . SOE lied constantly to the fans not the other way around.  Hey maybe the swg gang should run for office they couldn't screw up worse or lie more than our current administration.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I have been keeping up with ToR for a while and I think if you haven't been to their web sight yet you should go. Among the nice developer vidoe journals you have many other wonderful things, but you also have a suggestion box forum for what you would like to see. They have hinted that they may have starship combat later on, and the worlds look expansive as can be, what most people are forgetting is SWG didn't have all the stuff it had near the NGE when the game first came out. It took time for all that to be implimented and corrected. The game itself looks good, they are listening to the players when whe sound off on things, like the make lightsaber hilts smaller issue.

No it won't be SWG but that is partly due to the timeline of the universe we are a few thousand years before SWG in the timeline of ToR. It is a time of the old jedi masters, the mandalorians, and the Sith as an empire. I am sure they will be developing worlds that are vast, I haven't heard them say they arn't in any definate terms. In short if there is something you would like to see acctually check the forums and sound off on it. Hell the only class they have gone into detail on is the bounty hunter which I think they did right. Give them a chance, sure it won't be SWG, but then again SWG isn't SWG anymore. Give it a chance and you might just like it.